Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Not a Rumor Anymore: Wii and 'Select' Games Are About to Become Less Expensive [UPDATED x2]

• 98 results
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex

No Caption Provided
    UPDATE Part Deux: We can officially nix the "rumor" part of this article. Nintendo has announced that as of May 15th, the Wii system bundle will drop to $149.99 at all major retailers. Additionally, Wii Sports is officially out of the bundle, replaced by Mario Kart Wii and the Wii Steering Wheel. An elaborate mock-up of what the package may look like in real life can be seen directly to the right of this paragraph that you are reading.

Additionally, Nintendo confirmed the legitimacy of the Wii Select line of newly budget-priced titles. The lineup officially includes Animal Crossing: City Folk, Mario Super Sluggers, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Wii Sports. Evidently, we'll have to wait a little longer for Super Smash Bros. Brawl to drop in price.

UPDATE:
    One, Nintendo has since told us they won't comment. No real surprise there.

No Caption Provided
    Two, Nintendo World Report apparently has box art for these "Wii Select" games. They look legit!

--

With the exception of the original PlayStation, I've been a fairly notorious early adopter of new console technologies. I'm guessing if you're reading a website like Giant Bomb, one so thoroughly dedicated to the gaming enthusiasts of the world, you probably don't spend a lot of time waiting around to buy your console of choice, either. That said, there are many people who wait years after a system's release to get on board. One need only look at the absurd number of PlayStation 2 systems that sold well after the PlayStation 3's debut for prime evidence.

Wii Sports: Now in purchasable box!
    Of course, one thing that always helps grease the late adopter's wheels a bit is a price drop, and ever since Nintendo's new console announcement came rumbling into legitimacy, people have been bandying about various rumors of a new $149 price for the now suddenly old-feeling system.

Kotaku took the story a step further last night, citing retail sources that proclaimed that, along with the system's slashed price, a new line of "Wii Select" titles would also be dropped to a price point of $19.99. Along the lines of Sony's "Greatest Hits" and Microsoft's "Platinum Hits" collections--not to mention Nintendo's old "Player's Choice" line--the Select line would be made up of particularly noteworthy titles from the console's lifespan. Kotaku states the new line will debut in May, with the initial title run consisting of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Super Sluggers, and Wii Sports.

== TEASER == Hold on, let me record scratch this story to a halt for a moment. Wii Sports? You mean the game that's been packed in with Wii consoles since jump street? Yes, apparently Nintendo plans to take that seminal sports waggler and put it on store shelves all by its lonesome. Replacing Wii Sports in the console package would be Mario Kart Wii. While that might seem odd, think of it this way: If you're a consumer and you want a Wii now, in 2011, what are you more likely to pick up alongside your console for an extra 20 bucks? Mario Kart? Or that Wii Sports game every other Wii owner on the planet currently owns? Right.

For its part, Nintendo isn't currently talking on the subject, possibly in the hopes of keeping some minuscule modicum of info from their upcoming E3 2011 press conference something even vaguely resembling a secret. We've contacted them for more details and will update if we hear anything. At the rate things are popping out ahead of the show, they may have to resort to putting Miyamoto in a Link costume and forcing him to perform a Zelda-themed musical number. Maybe something like this, only sexier?
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

No Caption Provided
    UPDATE Part Deux: We can officially nix the "rumor" part of this article. Nintendo has announced that as of May 15th, the Wii system bundle will drop to $149.99 at all major retailers. Additionally, Wii Sports is officially out of the bundle, replaced by Mario Kart Wii and the Wii Steering Wheel. An elaborate mock-up of what the package may look like in real life can be seen directly to the right of this paragraph that you are reading.

Additionally, Nintendo confirmed the legitimacy of the Wii Select line of newly budget-priced titles. The lineup officially includes Animal Crossing: City Folk, Mario Super Sluggers, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Wii Sports. Evidently, we'll have to wait a little longer for Super Smash Bros. Brawl to drop in price.

UPDATE:
    One, Nintendo has since told us they won't comment. No real surprise there.

No Caption Provided
    Two, Nintendo World Report apparently has box art for these "Wii Select" games. They look legit!

--

With the exception of the original PlayStation, I've been a fairly notorious early adopter of new console technologies. I'm guessing if you're reading a website like Giant Bomb, one so thoroughly dedicated to the gaming enthusiasts of the world, you probably don't spend a lot of time waiting around to buy your console of choice, either. That said, there are many people who wait years after a system's release to get on board. One need only look at the absurd number of PlayStation 2 systems that sold well after the PlayStation 3's debut for prime evidence.

Of course, one thing that always helps grease the late adopter's wheels a bit is a price drop, and ever since Nintendo's new console announcement came rumbling into legitimacy, people have been bandying about various rumors of a new $149 price for the now suddenly old-feeling system.

Kotaku took the story a step further last night, citing retail sources that proclaimed that, along with the system's slashed price, a new line of "Wii Select" titles would also be dropped to a price point of $19.99. Along the lines of Sony's "Greatest Hits" and Microsoft's "Platinum Hits" collections--not to mention Nintendo's old "Player's Choice" line--the Select line would be made up of particularly noteworthy titles from the console's lifespan. Kotaku states the new line will debut in May, with the initial title run consisting of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Super Sluggers, and Wii Sports.

== TEASER == Hold on, let me record scratch this story to a halt for a moment. Wii Sports? You mean the game that's been packed in with Wii consoles since jump street? Yes, apparently Nintendo plans to take that seminal sports waggler and put it on store shelves all by its lonesome. Replacing Wii Sports in the console package would be Mario Kart Wii. While that might seem odd, think of it this way: If you're a consumer and you want a Wii now, in 2011, what are you more likely to pick up alongside your console for an extra 20 bucks? Mario Kart? Or that Wii Sports game every other Wii owner on the planet currently owns? Right.

For its part, Nintendo isn't currently talking on the subject, possibly in the hopes of keeping some minuscule modicum of info from their upcoming E3 2011 press conference something even vaguely resembling a secret. We've contacted them for more details and will update if we hear anything. At the rate things are popping out ahead of the show, they may have to resort to putting Miyamoto in a Link costume and forcing him to perform a Zelda-themed musical number. Maybe something like this, only sexier?
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Well with a new Nintendo console on the way...

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Y2Ken

Still don't know whether I'm convinced to buy one... Might reconsider though. Perhaps my parents will finally get one, they've always considered it but I think it was a little more than my mum could be bothered to spend.

Roasted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Roasted

Yo, wanna buy a Wii for 20$?

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @Roasted said:
    " Yo, wanna buy a Wii for 20$? "
    Sounds like an offer a lonely woman can't refuse.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#6  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

That's smart.  I still want to pick up Goldeneye and Donkey Kong at some point, and maybe Kirby.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By striderno9

Wowzers, Nintendo is making aggressive moves, but will it be enough? 

PrnceOfPwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By PrnceOfPwng

Only Nintendo could charge $50 for an launch title still, oh wait gamestop is still charging $50 for king of fighters 12 lol. 

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Daveyo520

So this is the story you were working on.

RanchLizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RanchLizard

Switching out the Wii Sports for Mario Kart is a smart move

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Th3_James

I want to replay Donkey Kong 64 now

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By phish09

I'll pick up Brawl and TP on teh cheap.  I played the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess twice, and have never had the drive to play it by waggling my controller in front of my TV, but I'm getting that 5 year Zelda itch again, so it might be time.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#13  Edited By gla55jAw

$149.99? Shit I thought it was already that. I was all ready to finally be on board to buy a Wii for $99 so I can get Smash Brothers and a few others. Not at $150 though, waste of money.

PerfidiousSinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By PerfidiousSinn

It's kind of ridiculous that so many Wii exclusives have stayed full price. 'Wii Select' should've happened a while ago.

Phoenix87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Phoenix87

Take it down to $99 Nintendo, The novelty has worn off for a while now.

Saga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By Saga

Nice! Zelda: Twilight Princess is an awesome game. Many, many, many hours of fun

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Contro

It makes a lot of sense, a MK bundle will shift better and a budget range will help that. They need to put some good games in the Wii Select range though, the likes of Galaxy & Co.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Good night sweet prince.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kjellm87

It is kinda odd how time flies.
    2006 seems like yesterday.

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sil3n7

I read all of your stories in your voice Alex. You need to get out of my head.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#21  Edited By Little_Socrates
    @gla55jAw said:
    " $149.99? Shit I thought it was already that. I was all ready to finally be on board to buy a Wii for $99 so I can get Smash Brothers and a few others. Not at $150 though, waste of money. "
    This, only I have had all the first-party games and care more to play Deadly Creatures, Little King's Story, and their ilk.
    Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Winternet

Nintendo is taking the bull by the horns in this pre-E3 period. Microsoft is quiet and Sony has its head full at the moment.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By jozzy

Hmm, might pick one up for the kids.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Brenderous

I don't think you can get much sexier than that ad.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Cameron

It blows my mind that the Super Mario Galaxy games aren't on that list. I am interested in playing both of those games, but there is no way in hell I'm paying full price for a three year old game. I can kind of see why Galaxy 2 is still expensive, but the first one is just insane.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By craigbo180

Wii select? I think you better let someone else select because who the hell wants to play mario sluggers? I would be hype for this if they were dropping price on recent games like DK and Kirby.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By MisterMouse

hmm... interesting but I still probably wouldn't by a wii... probably because I don't have a TV.

jeffk38uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jeffk38uk

A cheap Wii? Maybe I can finally hop onto the train of success that is the Wii Shop.

captainfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By captainfish

Nintendo has done a great job of keeping their 1st party stuff at full price since launch. I wonder how much of the large install base will just pick up this stuff because it's cheap.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Nintendo never lowers the price of there games. It's crazy.
    Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Levio

Hmm, even if this doesn't entice people to buy a wii, it could really push some of those older titles.  $20 is cheap enough to get me to buy some of the better games I ignored before.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BonOrbitz

I'm glad I held off from picking up Brawl!

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By swamplord666

hey you know what? I'd buy the wii for under £100 and get the mario games. and maybe monster hunter tri. Sadly that's about it :/

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MikkaQ

Still waiting on the 99$ wii. Not for me, I already got one. But paying any more for it today is a rip. 

Swifdemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Swifdemon

"there are many people who wait years after a system's release to get on board"

I got a PS2 in 2009: TruFax. I have been loving it and enjoying every very inexpensive game I can get for it (though there are ridiculously expensive ones, too... I'm looking at you, ZOE2).

I would be the type to be all for this, but I already have a dusty white box by my TV.

Ellis7x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ellis7x

Mario Kart got a bit more substance than Wii sports, Im sure any other Wii owner in the world will happily let you borrow it if you were so inclined to play

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#37  Edited By Claude

Curious to see all the Wii Select games. I've played a shit load of Wii games, but there's a few I've missed. Actually, some of the ones I missed are already less than $20. I need to be a better Wii fan.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By Vonocourt

Probably going to pick up a copy of Twilight Princess just so I don't have to go digging for a GC memory card.

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By Shabs
    @Cameron said:
    " It blows my mind that the Super Mario Galaxy games aren't on that list. I am interested in playing both of those games, but there is no way in hell I'm paying full price for a three year old game. I can kind of see why Galaxy 2 is still expensive, but the first one is just insane. "
    To be fair, those are the best games on the platform and well worth $50.

I wouldn't say that about any other Wii games I've played.
    albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40  Edited By albedos_shadow

I can confirm at least the Wii Selects part of the story. I work at Target and we've had the Wii Sports and Twilight Princess rereleases in the new release lockup for about a week. We haven't gotten word of any console price drop, though it's been at $170 for a week or two now.

Maelstrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Maelstrom

I'll certainly buy the Metroid Prime collection if it falls under this hypothetical program.

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By umdesch4
    @Brenderous:  What about Laura "Flute Link" Intravia. (youtube search, too many matches for me to pick a best one)

I saw her at Video Games Live recently...and that was definitely hot.
    wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By wickedsc3

I was one of those people who bought a ps2 long after ps3 was released.  at $99 i figured i would just pick one up to have it.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#44  Edited By vigorousjammer
    @phish09 said:
    " I'll pick up Brawl and TP on teh cheap.  I played the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess twice, and have never had the drive to play it by waggling my controller in front of my TV, but I'm getting that 5 year Zelda itch again, so it might be time. "
    I'd say wait for Skyward Sword, duder
    phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By phish09
    @Vigorousjammer said:
    " @phish09 said:
    " I'll pick up Brawl and TP on teh cheap.  I played the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess twice, and have never had the drive to play it by waggling my controller in front of my TV, but I'm getting that 5 year Zelda itch again, so it might be time. "
    I'd say wait for Skyward Sword, duder "
    But if they keep postponing Skyward Sword like they did Twilight Princess I might have to wait another year at least for that to come out...but you're right...I could just rip through the Gamecube TP again in the mean time.
    BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BradBrains

Smart on nintendo to make wii sports separate but cheap.get every last solar from those late adopters who only want "that bowling game"

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#47  Edited By Floppypants

Hopefully these price drops might drive the used market into the dirt.  I might bite on a bargain-bin priced New Super Mario Bros Wii.  I know I'll never play it as long as it's $30+.

JimmyJackJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By JimmyJackJones

Wow, actually having to pay for Wii Sports is a terrible thing.  Wii Sports Resort is a game.  Wii Sports is a tech demo.  Ugh, that's pretty scummy, Nintendo.

Delusibeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Delusibeta

Going to call "lies" on the "Wii Sports 1 to be sold separately" rumour. Here in the UK, pretty much every comes with both Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort. Really can't see them back peddling on that (after all, two games are better than one in the layman's opinion).

microshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By microshock

Doesn't anyone remember how excited we were for the Wii? I think people were imagining being Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader swinging around the Wiimote as a lightsaber in real time. Or Harry Potter shooting spells.

Jeez, they really messed that up. I truly regret ever buying a Wii and wish I sold it when it was going for 500 bucks on ebay.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.