Not a Rumor Anymore: Wii and 'Select' Games Are About to Become Less Expensive [UPDATED x2]

• 97 results
#51 Posted by Brenderous (1099 posts) -
@umdesch4: I also saw her at VGL. You may be right.
#52 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2489 posts) -

There's enough of a used market for the Wii that putting Wii Sports into the retail chain probably makes sense.  You buy a used Wii, it doesn't come with Wii Sports, you go out and drop $20 for Wii Sports.

I don't think them boxing it up and putting it on the shelves is any real indication that they'll remove it from new retail Wii boxes.

#53 Posted by Lucidlife (107 posts) -

Whoopie.

Get Super Mario Galaxy down to $19.99 and I am in.
#54 Posted by Cirdain (3077 posts) -
@Brenderous said:
" @umdesch4: I also saw her at VGL. You may be right. "
I bet you did ;)
#55 Posted by BonOrbitz (2183 posts) -
@Kjellm87 said:
" It is kinda odd how time flies.2006 seems like yesterday. "
It sure does! I remember every detail about standing in that cold, cold line on 11.19.06. I still can't believe it's been  5 years now... I'm getting old.
#56 Posted by BonOrbitz (2183 posts) -
@Lucidlife said:
" Whoopie.

Get Super Mario Galaxy down to $19.99 and I am in.
"
Oh man, SMG is so much better than $19.99.
#57 Posted by JoeyIA (662 posts) -

Sweet, maybe I'll be able to get a legit Wii Sports box on eBay.

#58 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3254 posts) -
@Th3_James said:
" I want to replay Donkey Kong 64 now "
Word.
#59 Posted by agentboolen (1763 posts) -

They should have made a Players Choice line of games a long long time ago for the wii....  Now lets see if Wii Music makes it on that list!!!     hint bomb very big BOMB!

#60 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

At least this list might be a short list of select games due to the Wii having some good games every year among the tons of shovelware.

#61 Posted by Skytylz (4031 posts) -

cool, I'll probably pick up Brawl now, my galaxy 2 machine is starting to get dusty!

#62 Posted by motang (62 posts) -

I do hope Punch Out wold be on this list.

#63 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

Is the Wii $100 yet?

#64 Posted by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -
@gla55jAw said:
" $149.99? Shit I thought it was already that. I was all ready to finally be on board to buy a Wii for $99 so I can get Smash Brothers and a few others. Not at $150 though, waste of money. "
Me too.
#65 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@ThePhantomnaut said:

" @Roasted said:

" Yo, wanna buy a Wii for 20$? "

Sounds like an offer a lonely woman can't refuse. "

#66 Posted by Grinsa (40 posts) -

??

#67 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6296 posts) -

Mario Kart Wii is a great party game. It's strange to think I dropped $100 more on a Nintendo handheld just a few weeks ago.

#68 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

If they had games like Mario Kart Wii, New Super Mario Bros Wii and Metroid Prime 3 for this discount I would dig out my Wii and play it. Animal Crossing and Mario Super Sluggers... no thanks.

#69 Posted by Shuborno (938 posts) -

The Nintendo Select box art style is horrible. Doesn't fit with the Wii aesthetic at all.

#70 Posted by Branthog (5923 posts) -

Frankly, you can find much better door stops for far less than $150.

#71 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -
@Shuborno said:
" The Nintendo Select box art style is horrible. Doesn't fit with the Wii aesthetic at all. "
All budget cases are awful, the original xbox silver greatest hits were awful, ps3 ugly red greatest hits, 360s, ps2's etc.

i am completely OCD when it come to this stuff i refuse to put greatest/platnium hits on my shelf because they look so out of place, same reason i remove slip covers from my blu-rays and have 3 shelves dedicated to boxed/tv show/limited edition BR's and my other shelf the same with games.

i know it's stupid but the ocd in me will not allow me to do otherwise.
#72 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -
@PrnceOfPwng said:
" Only Nintendo could charge $50 for an launch title still, oh wait gamestop is still charging $50 for king of fighters 12 lol.  "
Really i can play atleast 50 kof13 games for that.
#73 Edited by Aleryn (704 posts) -

New boxes look good.  Will haveta' grab Brawl for parties.  Oh, and good commentary by Alex, thanks.

#74 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

Important question; does this new bundle come with WiiMotion Plus-equipped remotes?

#75 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

It is probably worth waiting for the new console first,
everyone assumes it will play Wii games.

#76 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -

RED BOXES, OH MY GOD!!

#77 Posted by Brenderous (1099 posts) -
@Cirdain said:
" @Brenderous said:
I bet you did ;) "
Hah! that made me lol at my desk.
#78 Posted by Cirdain (3077 posts) -
@Brenderous said:
" @Cirdain said:
" @Brenderous said:
I bet you did ;) "
Hah! that made me lol at my desk. "
Your welcome :)

@sins_of_mosin said:
" Is the Wii $100 yet? "
No... but your mum is ;)
I hear she raking in the money ;D
#79 Posted by FesteringNeon (2164 posts) -

Man if this Wii did HD capability, I'd probably bite even though I have the Move.  I really like the look of the black Wii.

#80 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6988 posts) -

I just want Brawl to drop in price. That's the only Wii game I'm interested in playing at this point.

#81 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

Neat. Last November a local store had a sale and was selling them for $100 a pop. If I had of had the money I would have got one, but $150 is still a bit too much for me. There are only 2-3 games on the system that look even remotely fun, so I'm going to wait until I can pick all of them up for around $200 total.

#82 Posted by RecSpec (3803 posts) -

Finally, I can try Wild World out.

#83 Posted by dvorak (1496 posts) -
@RecSpec said:
" Finally, I can try Wild World out. "
Yeah, pretty sure I'll also be taking advantage of that.

Also, I'm really shocked. I thought that the Wii was already $149.99. I guess I had a gap in my memory back to the GameCube when it got totally stupid cheap.
#84 Posted by Scarabus (479 posts) -

Nice try, but I'm not buying any more Wii games.

#85 Posted by Aaron_G (1614 posts) -

Wii games get cheaper, but too bad, I no longer have my Wii. Gave it to my sister to take to Chicago. 

#86 Posted by NukePuke (31 posts) -

I'm going to wait and see if the next Nintendo system is backwards compatible first.

#87 Posted by kollay (1928 posts) -

The enthusiasm, it is nonexistent.

#88 Posted by Brodehouse (9878 posts) -

Maybe I'll pick up Twilight Princess now.

In the last ten years, I've played two Zelda games; A Link to the Past on GBA, and Darksiders.

#89 Posted by Vexxan (4618 posts) -
@NukePuke said:
" I'm going to wait and see if the next Nintendo system is backwards compatible first. "
Sounds about right, I've managed not to buy a Wii for the past 5 years, I can wait another year or so until Wii 2 is released.
#90 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -
@Brodehouse said:
" Maybe I'll pick up Twilight Princess now.In the last ten years, I've played two Zelda games; A Link to the Past on GBA, and Darksiders. "
You made me giggle :)
#91 Posted by Delusibeta (68 posts) -

Well, that's me proven wrong. Ho hum...

#92 Posted by gla55jAw (2687 posts) -

I wonder if that Limited Red console with New Super Mario Brothers is going to drop too. I might go with that if it does, even though it's not $99. What's the deal with not dropping Smash though, the game has been out for years.

#93 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2103 posts) -

I am totally down with them releasing "players choice", but come on, just about everyone has those already.  The console has been out for like 4-5 years already.  This would have been a good idea in year 2-ish.

#94 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

@Cirdain - Unlike most users on here, I'm an adult so my mother is over 60 and wouldn't bother with kids who quote jokes from before they was even born.

#95 Edited by HypotheticalSolution76 (139 posts) -

Actually, I'm looking forward to the price drop. I heard Animal Crossing was very fun when you get into it. It's the type of game I don't normally find interest in, but a game that I'm warming up  to now. Mario Super Sluggers fits into the same styles as Mario Mix, Mario Strikers, etc. It's a game to serve the fan base, and not everyone's tea. But the price drop to cater to the fans is nice. I've already played a ton of Wii Sports so cool there. Zelda: Twilight Princess might be a good purchase, but I do own it on GC already. Amazing - that'd be three Zelda games in one year, counting OOT 3D and Skyward Sword. That's a record I would think! I have Brawl as one of my top games still yet played, and if there's any price drop on it, I'll pick it up too. Great news.

#96 Posted by athruntalan (1 posts) -

Bout time some of the first party titles were made a bit cheaper, Nintendo's FP titles always seem to stick rigidly to release price, even if they've been out longer than 6 months!

#97 Posted by mariokart64fan (366 posts) -

it can be 99 go used there ya go , 99 dollars , lol

seriously though if you compare wii price to xbox 360 your better off with a wii lol

ms still wants to push 400 bundles out lol and the lowest you can get a 360 is 300 lol even though that is 6 yrs old!

no console has ever been this expensive this far along

#98 Edited by mariokart64fan (366 posts) -

a used wii is already 99 bucks! ,, i think wiis are well worth their price for all of what they do , sure the new model i say 99 bucks but ones that have mariokart wii are bc and all so

especally if a xbox 360 that came out in 2005 can still sell for 300 plus dollars

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.