Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Oldschool [analysis]: The Wii casual gamer is a myth.

• 58 results
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Al3xand3r

I was responding to get2sammyb, I know, I said we're both off topic...

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By get2sammyb
    Al3xand3r said:
    "I was responding to get2sammyb, I know, I said we're both off topic..."
    I really don't see what you said had anything to do with me. But then my post was pretty off-topic too.

On-topic, I think it's loose to assume that because a few extra people bought Mario Kart (a game that was heavily marketed as a motion game - "You get the steering wheelz") and Mario Power Tennis (another massively marketed game because of it's new Wii controls) that casual gamers are buying into more "hardcore" games. They bought those games because of the way they were marketed.

Nintendo have been the masters of video game marketing this generation. By an absolute mile. The reason they've been so successful is because they essentially copied Apple's marketing campaigns. And Apple are just... Good grief; the God's of marketing.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#53  Edited By oldschool
    Al3xand3r said:
    Sorry Alex, that wasn't a comment specific to you, but taking from what you said.  Sorry for the confusion.

get2sammyb said:
    "Al3xand3r said:
    I really don't see what you said had anything to do with me. But then my post was pretty off-topic too.On-topic, I think it's loose to assume that because a few extra people bought Mario Kart (a game that was heavily marketed as a motion game - "You get the steering wheelz") and Mario Power Tennis (another massively marketed game because of it's new Wii controls) that casual gamers are buying into more "hardcore" games. They bought those games because of the way they were marketed.Nintendo have been the masters of video game marketing this generation. By an absolute mile. The reason they've been so successful is because they essentially copied Apple's marketing campaigns. And Apple are just... Good grief; the God's of marketing."
    I agree in part Sammy, but not completely.  These new gamers are buying more than those two games.  If you are correct about the marketing, then it has made them confident to buy beyond the Mario Kart and Tennis.  In that way, yes the marketing has been excellent.

Having spent the last generation in despair at the lack of marketing support by Nintendo (almost non-existent), then I am happy to see it, even if I am not the target market for it.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#54  Edited By Meowayne

I have seen non-gamers in video game stores. A lot. They buy exactly as oldschool describes: By randomness. Nintendos advertising brings them into the Gamestops of this world, but their purchase decisions are made 80% by boxart alone, and that includes a lot of classical and "core" games because they usually have the better covers.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Meowayne said:
    "I have seen non-gamers in video game stores. A lot. They buy exactly as oldschool describes: By randomness. Nintendos advertising brings them into the Gamestops of this world, but their purchase decisions are made 80% by boxart alone, and that includes a lot of classical and "core" games because they usually have the better covers. "
    How do you know they're non-gamers?
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Meowayne

I listen to them talking.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By HandsomeDead

That's not creepy at all.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Meowayne

I know. Not in the slightest bit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.