Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

One way Nintendo could improve FPS in the future.

csadaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By csadaft

FPS have not enjoyed the greatest success on the wii, with the exception being MP3, and a few COD games. The main problem being looking around by pushing the cross-hair reticle to the side of the screen, the so called bounding box. Nintendo could rectify this by replacing the d-pad on the wiimote with another analogue stick. This would give a movement similar to that of the 360, but cross-hair could still be controlled by pointing the wiimote at the screen for high degree of precision with no need foe auto-aim like the 360/PS3. Maybe Nintendo could do this with the wii successor. What do you guys think

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Huh?

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Bones8677

Or just make a real fuckin' controller!

Sorry...

csadaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By csadaft
    @Bones8677:    Well that essentially what it would be, but the wiimote on screen precision
    ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ArcBorealis

I say use the wiimote aiming and bounding box for turning, like always.  

For shooting, there should be an aim button, ala Goldeneye or Perfect Dark, that locks the screen in place and lets you aim with a steady screen. It's not lock on, but it helps steady your aim better. I guess a good example would be to play Metroid Prime Trilogy, have nothing onscreen that the game would lock on to, and hold the Z button. You'll see what I mean. 

So, no controller change I think. 2 sticks for moving and looking around in conjunction with a pointer on screen I think would throw me off. There just needs to be a better gameplay design.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Meowayne

First of all, Nintendo doesn't make FPS games.

Secondly, CoD: WaW and CoD: MWR nailed the controls to something that is far superior to analogue controls.  

Thirdly, MotionPlus enables cursor control way beyond the boundaries of the TV screen, making this a non-issue. See Red Steel 2. 

Fourthly, this thread will be filled with opinions of whining people who haven't touched a Wii FPS game since Far Cry. 

csadaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By csadaft
    @Alaska_Gamer:  My opinion would be that an aim button slows things down, and generally results in you standing still, or just strafing left and right when you are aiming. The way i suggest allows for the movement controls like in halo 3 etc, but with the aiming of the wiimote. 
    csadaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By csadaft
    @Meowayne said:
    " First of all, Nintendo doesn't make FPS games.  Secondly, CoD: WaW and CoD: MWR nailed the controls to something that is far superior to analogue controls.    Thirdly, MotionPlus enables cursor control way beyond the boundaries of the TV screen, making this a non-issue. See Red Steel 2.   Fourthly, this thread will be filled with opinions of whining people who haven't touched a Wii FPS game since Far Cry.    "
    Well retro studios is 100% owned by Nintendo, granted retro is not in Kyoto, but the with Nintendo owning 100% of retro, their first party, so Nintendo does make FPS. Anyway It is not beyond Nintendo EAD making a FPS if the wanted, as fps elements have been in Zelda since 1998. Yes the bounding box is better then ps3 and xbox controller, due to the level of auto aim needed for the PS3/360, but moving the bounding by moving the aiming reticule to corners of the screen, is not ideal either, if the moving of the bounding box could be achieved by a second analogue stick, leaving the Wii reticule solely for aiming, would definitely speed up the gameplay.
    ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ArcBorealis
    @csadaft: Well, I do see where you're coming from with your idea. But I guess I just have a tough time trying to see that working with me. Probably because I always have a part of my mind focused on where the crosshair is, and it would probably mess things up for me if the crosshair is in one direction while I turn in the other. But hey, it could probably work. Just I'm a bit more fond of the aim button idea. Or I'm just already used to the aiming system used in Wii First Person games already. Maybe a bit of both.
    csadaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By csadaft
    @Alaska_Gamer: Maybe if you stand still your accuracy greatly improves. That could be good compromise, but obviously you be more likely to be hit.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By iamjohn
    @Meowayne said:
    " Secondly, CoD: WaW and CoD: MWR nailed the controls to something that is far superior to analogue controls. "
    ...yet still sucks dick compared to a mouse.
    ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ArcBorealis
    @csadaft: Well, the idea only really came to me because I've been playing Goldeneye so much recently (which is weird, since we all know how dated it is from a technical standpoint). So I guess I have no problem standing still if it means I can aim my gun at specific targets.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By penguindust

Nintendo and its 3rd party developers don't need to make FPS games for the Wii.  Because of the hardware deficiencies, FPS games made for it can't compete with those made for the PS3, 360 or PC.  Wii does a lot of things well and it doesn't need to be competitive in the FPS market because of that.  However, if it did want to make these games it should (a) take a cartoony look like in Team Fortress 2, (b) go with lots of aim assist and (c) speed everything up to twice as fast as the old UT games to keep things competitive.  Trying to snap from a very fast moving target to another speeding target could provide a new different challenge than the precision normally associated with FPS games.

csadaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By csadaft
    @Alaska_Gamer: First of all Goldeneye will never be dated. I think the remake will benefit greatly from the current wii setup for fps. I hope that game will have online. Anyway given enough time i think it would not be too hard to get to grips with the dual analogue system,
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Meowayne

OP, do you even play Wii FPS games?

This is not an issue. Learning to be quick and precise in MW:Reflex doesn't take any longer than learning that on the 360 or PS3. You probably learn it even quicker. 

Everyone fails hard at their first try on a Wii FPS. But you learn to get the reticule and your character exactly where you want them to be just as you learn(ed) that on the PC and HD consoles. Especially if you tweak the button layout, sensitivity and bounding box to your preferences - options which all the Wii FPS games released recently have.

csadaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By csadaft

I have not played reflex or red steel 2, but from the video reviews the bounding box feels familiar to some of fps i played on wii.  The one thing that annoyed me, esp in MP3, was doing the 180 turn, which if memory serve me was nigh impossible in that game. Also the messing with sensitivity setting does not appeal to me(and average player, it a nice touch though). Whenever i play fps i prefer them for game-play on the wii, then the ps3 and 360, not the pc though, i just think that if the wii reticle was left solely for aiming, fps on the  wii would be better.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LiquidPrince

I'd rather not have to buy more controllers.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By animateria

Er... We shall see with the PS Move.

It has Killzone 3 and Socom 4 support.

csadaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By csadaft
    @LiquidPrince: This would be probably for the wii successor, the D-pad is largely irrelevant these days. 
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @csadaft: Well that sounds better.
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

The last thing the Wii needs is another peripheral, anyway why would they when they could make Wii Crap and make millions.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By damnboyadvance

Wait, you want them to make another controller, just for First Person Shooters? No, that wouldn't work. There's so few FPS games on the Wii as it is. Why would I buy something like that?

apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By apoptosis61

third parties stop fucking around and focus when make wii games, ops thats go for all genres

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.