Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Possible new Patent for next Zelda game?

Midgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Midgar
    super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By super_machine

"allowing users to skip ahead when it gets to hard" What the fuck is nintendo thinking? If I want something I can skip ahead, I'll read a Dostoevsky novel.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ArcBorealis

Okay, obviously people seem to misinterpret what patents are trying to say, but I believe that the people at Neogaf have a good hold of what the thing is saying. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348177

The main misinterpretation people are getting is that you can have the game play itself if you are having trouble. Not quite.

There are three sections by the looks of one of the illustrations. Game, Digest, and Scene Menu. Game works like you would normally expect, Digest is giving you an example of how a section in the game was done, and scene menu is where you can relive moments from the game.

The obvious thing I can see Nintendo not forgetting is that you have to play through the game first. Since core gamers are the ones who will play the next Zelda game first, they're  probably not gonna have all the digest and scene menus available from the start. As you go through the game, more is added to the digest.

How this "kind code' actually ends up working is that you are first given a video hint, giving you an idea of what to do next. This could obviously help those who may not know where to go next, or if you can't solve a puzzle, and so on. This is obviously gonna be different than Navi, as she forced you to press C Up to get a hint from her, so this looks to be optional.

And, if you check the video, but if one section you don't have the skill, you can skip it and head to one section. I believe the auto-playing whatever is saved for digest only, so it functions kinda like a mix of Youtube playthroughs and tool assisted speedruns

One big thing to note about the digest and scene menus is that you can not choose to make a save game out of that section of the game you selected, so there still seems to be motivation to play through the main game.

This whole thing is optional for core gamers, and is a very good way of letting Nintendo increase the difficulty for once while not discouraging the expanded audience.

I am actually in favor of this idea, because it's a good way of encouraging people to atleast get to the end, whether they play through the entire game, or only half with the rest of it skipped. People these days don't have the time or dedication to a single long epic game, and when they don't have enough skill to get past a section, it often discourages them from continuing. Sure, you could let a more experienced gamer play it, but than he or she wouldn't get to see the whole game with their eyes. This really helps solve the problem that Miyamoto has seen, and that was people being discouraged from beating a Zelda game. Not only that, but it could be a way of letting more than one person in the household having fun playing the game together. Have someone play the game, and everyone can watch and provide assistance.

If this is for sure gonna be the new gameplay system for the next Zelda, than bring it. I want to let my family enjoy video games as much as I do, and I have all my faith in Miyamoto that he will create the gateway game that can bring together all types of gamers.

I am looking forward to how this could be used.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Nintendo - Original Games are our name...oh wait...

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By Arkthemaniac

BlackWaterCO - Stupid, unoriginal, unfunny and overdone joke posts are my gravy . . .oh wait . . .

No, that's right.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

That patent is probably nothing like people think. Heck, at first some thought it's about storage, then it also includes saving stuff online, then it also includes developers being the ones who save that content and not users, then it has the Zelda drawings, then the hints, etc, etc, it's probably not what everyone's thinking at all...

As for saying it ruins the game, actually, it only lets them make the game harder, while not scaring casual gamers away as they will have access to a neat and efficient visual walkthrough of sorts -- if NeoGAF hivemind is right -- so it's good for those of you too hardcore to consider it (I've never used a guide myself either really, though I wouldn't say I'm hardcore cos these days it's an insult to me) since, heck, even if the feature is in, you still DON'T HAVE TO CONSIDER IT, it's not for you, it's for your casual cousin that plays while you're not there to show him how.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.