Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

PS3 benefiting from Wii publisher backlash

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Godwind

Sorry, I didn't know whether this should be in the Wii Forums or the PS3 forums.  Anyways, starting rolling the cameras for the alpacas.

Source

Over the last several months, it seems that more and more publishers have publicly reconsidered their stance on how to support the Wii. Mature games and core games in general just haven't been putting up the kind of sales numbers to justify the investments. Analysts have talked about the struggle of core games on Wii, and publishers like THQ, EA, Sega, Capcom, and Ubisoft have all discussed how weaker Wii sales of core games have affected their respective strategies. Meanwhile, Nintendo's own first-party products are dominating the software charts, leaving little room for third parties to benefit.

As publishers reallocate resources, you'd expect both Xbox 360 and PS3 to prosper. In our recent interview with Rob Dyer, SCEA Senior Vice President of Publisher Relations, we asked Sony about this very situation. Has the Wii backlash led to more PS3 support? Dyer certainly thinks so. 

"What publishers have said is they're not going to spend the resources on Wii... In my job, we compete against Microsoft and Nintendo, and we're competing for resources. So when I walk into a publisher, I ask, 'Where are you guys pushing your resources?' In the past, it was 'Look how hot the Wii is,' or 'Look how hot the DS is,' and 'We should put resources there.' They did that and realized, 'You know what, third-party product just doesn't sell on that platform.' So now they're taking those resources, coming back to us and saying, 'Sony we're going to be able to provide you with that exclusive content,' or 'We're going to put more engineers on it and figure out to maximize the Blu-ray and get more out of PS3.' That's what we're seeing now," he stated.

Dyer continued, "And I don't even have to fight for their hearts and minds; I just show them the TRST data with regards to how many top 10 titles are third-party titles on the Wii, or how many top 10 titles are third-party titles on the DS. Not many. It's not a hard story to sell, and they get that. Unless they've got a particular franchise that's worked well on the Wii, you don't see a lot of innovative new IP coming out on that platform.” 

Quite frankly, we feel this is a real problem for Nintendo. Even if what Dyer is saying is viewed as more "Sony PR," that doesn't eliminate the fact that third parties are still experiencing difficulties on Wii after four full holiday seasons on the market. Nintendo should be working on its own publisher relations, and we'd love to hear from them on this subject, but so far Nintendo has been quite resistant to inquiries from IndustryGamers. It's like the company is an ostrich with its head stuck in a hole in the ground - get out there and be pro-active Nintendo!

Anyways, I am ducking cover before Al3xand3r runs my ass for posting this.  Although to be fair, it seems like they forgot how to make games that are sellable aka enticing.

@Meowayne:
    The Dead Space Extraction cover was shit ugly.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By trophyhunter

*thumbs up*

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By JoelTGM

Maybe Nintendo is satisfied with selling their games on their console.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By animateria

Well, obviously PS3 is benefiting from poor software sales on the Wii.

Hell, obviously the 360 is equally benefiting from the same situation.

Sony PR saying Sony stuff is obvious.

The only thing that doesn't make sense is the DS comment since the PSP is still the underdog (PSP 3rd party success? Only in Japan!). Of course Sony PR is gonna take a spin at it though. That much is obvious.

I'm obviously trying to send out an obvious message here. 

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By End_Boss

Probably could've stuck it in General Discussion and been fine. Anyway, the article is just stuff we already knew being said in a different way: third-party developers get hosed on the Wii.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater

This is kind of what we already know: Third Party games generally don't sell well on the wii.  Obviously they have figured out that money and time are better spent on the HD platforms.

The real question is, Who's fault is it? Is it Nintendo for showing their characteristic apathy (or even disdain) towards other developers? Is it the developers themselves for making the wrong kinds of games? Or is it the consumer's fault for not buying those games?

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gruff182

This is obvious Sony PR spin. 

However I totally agree and understand why Nintendo are losing 3rd party support and rightly so.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By demontium
    @trophyhunter said:
    " *thumbs up* "
    My sir you beat us again...
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zityz

It's been like that with nintendo since the N64 days. It's not the publishers fault at all on this, it's not even nintendos fault about 3rd party developers. It solely rests on the shoulders of gamers just not buying Wii games, most people are buying the system for a few games. Plus people love nintendos franchises and they buy those on a nintendo system because they know exactly what they're buyinng. A lot of 3rd party games on there are crap shoots and you do end up getting some good gems in the bunch. It's a cycle that will continue to keep happening as long as a nintendo system is out on a market, no matter how "revolutionary" the system seams.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @animateria said:
    " Well, obviously PS3 is benefiting from poor software sales on the Wii.  Hell, obviously the 360 is equally benefiting from the same situation.  Sony PR saying Sony stuff is obvious.  The only thing that doesn't make sense is the DS comment since the PSP is still the underdog (PSP 3rd party success? Only in Japan!). Of course Sony PR is gonna take a spin at it though. That much is obvious.  I'm obviously trying to send out an obvious message here.  "
    Thanks for cutting through the bullshit, Bill O'Reilly.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By trophyhunter
    @demontium said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    " *thumbs up* "
    My sir you beat us again... "
    ^__~
    bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By bhhawks78
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " This is kind of what we already know: Third Party games generally don't sell well on the wii.  Obviously they have figured out that money and time are better spent on the HD platforms.  The real question is, Who's fault is it? Is it Nintendo for showing their characteristic apathy (or even disdain) towards other developers? Is it the developers themselves for making the wrong kinds of games? Or is it the consumer's fault for not buying those games? "
    Nintendo's for exasperating themselves in a way hardware wise where ports of triple A games like GTA/AC/95% of first and third person shooters were impossible to easily or port at all.

In the end Nintendo couldn't care less, the joke that is third party sales on the wii just pads their pocket books when only first party games are bought by many consumers.  Not to mention their system costs squat to make so they are profiting greatly on every console sale even if it's just a wii sports machine that gets stuck back in the closet.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

Sony adopting a popular bandwagon that's negative about the Wii? How inter.... er, predictable.

These images aren't half of it. There are many success stories from smaller companies that didn't reach a million but were still big hits for their caliber.

So, no. If a publisher fails to sell games on any platform that has a decent install base (from the PSP's OK base to the Wii's ludicrous numbers), it's their failure and not the platform's. Most of the games the Wii gets attacked for wouldn't sell on any system, due to being crap, extremely niche, or having shitty marketing and other such bad decisions on the publisher's side. There are obvious success stories that are constantly ignored, and as noted already, it's pretty damn lol worthy that they try to claim the same situation exists in terms of the PSP vs the DS as well.

Also, Nintendo is really just another publisher. Their own games shouldn't be separated as magical. They don't sell just for being Nintendo. Plenty Nintendo published games have failed to attract a large audience for some of the same reasons third party games failed to do so (ie, that's Nintendo's own fault, as it's any publisher's own fault the majority of times). The fact other games sell is a testament to doing things *right* and that is what publishers should aspire to do. And no, it's not just mini game compilations that sold good, neither from Nintendo nor from third parties.

It's true that it will be hard to take market share from Nintendo but it's hard on any platform. One company holds the largest market share on every platform, the only difference being that the first parties on the other systems fail to make games as succesful as Nintendo's in comparison, giving room to the likes of EA to have the largest share there. I think people should be asking the other first parties to make more great games than claim it's a good thing EA or Activision hold the largest share there, when in the end, for the majority of the publishers it's the same situation everywhere, trailing behind the big fish.

When a multimillion dollar project like Bionic Commando fails on the HD systems, CAPCOM and the press know to blame the game itself, but when a project with a fraction of the money and exposure from a much smaller developer fails on Wii, suddenly it's the platform at fault. Crazy, really. It's also worth noting that, while many have figured out a pattern to making their games sell on HD systems, development costs keep increasing while revenue remains the same which means plenty publishers are bleeding money left and right and only make up for it by having one or two runaway hits. We all remember EA's biggest disappointment being that their new focus in creative, new, critically acclaimed IP over yearly rehashes didn't actually work to their expectations.

Sadly, even that doesn't work out for everyone, so there are plenty of studios that have closed doors this generation. That they can sell more copies while having 10 times the development and marketing cost isn't a savior to the industry. It's also a practice that has yet to be attempted on Wii by the majority of publishers, so the comparisons aren't on equal terms at all since Wii projects are generally piss cheap efforts in comparison.

And to people saying it's Nintendo's fault they lack support due to making the system so weak, eh, if they had done anything at all different with it, chances are it wouldn't have succeeded in this way, so it would be in the position the GameCube was, having similar power, but still being shunned by the majority. To claim it would get more games if this and that is to ignore history and to ignore the reasons the Wii sold in the first place.

They also do collaborations showing that, if a publisher or developer, big or small, is willing, so are they. CAPCOM for Monster Hunter 3, Square for Dragon Quest X, Mistwalker for The Last Story, EA to bundle the Motion Plus before Wii Sports Resort was out, hiring Treasure for Sin & Punishment 2, Sandlot for Reginleiv, Headstrong Games for Battalion Wars 2, Next Level Games for Punch-Out!!, Monster Games for the Excite games, even helping the likes of Ubisoft get the shooting controls right in Red Steel 2 by way of Retro Studios aid, and working closely with Activision for Guitar Hero 5's online features to be on par with the HD versions. Let's not forget giving Mario to SEGA either. These moves do not show a company unwilling to cooperate as Nintendo is often accused of.

Edit: not sure what that jab @ the end is for. I don't make a habit of replying to your threads & I don't recall lashing out. If I did it, it was for something really dumb.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

eh I doubt it Sony likes the PR some of the stupidest things and often its outright lies.

the wii while i dont like it at all it doesn't seem to be slowing in the 3rd party games department.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Godwind
    @Al3xand3r: 

I was mocking everyone who accuses you of being a Wii fanboy even though you play on the PC and the PSP as well in addition to most Nintendo users being multiplatform users.  Also, sometimes people have accused you of being a raging fanboy. Despite that idea fanboys are inherent idiots who can't even highlight properly articulate thoughts and ideas into a debate yet these fanboys don't take the time to read your so called "Wall of Text" even though it wouldn't even constitute as an essay, or hell, a page of a book.  Crazy isn't?
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Claude

Yeah right, the Wii caught publishers with their pants down, they tried to catch up by throwing a bunch of low budget, low resource games on the Wii, whatever, nothing but propaganda.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By Willy105

It's amazing that publishers dropped the ball so epically and publicly having to give up while Nintendo takes over each continent one after one. What must it feel like......

@bhhawks78 said:

" @ArbitraryWater said:
    " This is kind of what we already know: Third Party games generally don't sell well on the wii.  Obviously they have figured out that money and time are better spent on the HD platforms.  The real question is, Who's fault is it? Is it Nintendo for showing their characteristic apathy (or even disdain) towards other developers? Is it the developers themselves for making the wrong kinds of games? Or is it the consumer's fault for not buying those games? "
    Nintendo's for exasperating themselves in a way hardware wise where ports of triple A games like GTA/AC/95% of first and third person shooters were impossible to easily or port at all.  In the end Nintendo couldn't care less, the joke that is third party sales on the wii just pads their pocket books when only first party games are bought by many consumers.  Not to mention their system costs squat to make so they are profiting greatly on every console sale even if it's just a wii sports machine that gets stuck back in the closet. "

You act as if it's in any way Nintendo's fault for developers wanting to do the same thing they did on their old console with the Wii even though it was a completely different audience, or if the Wii didn't host 3 of the 5 top selling console games of all time. Remember the Wii and the DS was part of Nintendo's initiative to get a better position with developers by not having them by a leach everytime they wanted to make a game for their system.
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By emkeighcameron
    @Godwind said:
    " @Al3xand3r:   I was mocking everyone who accuses you of being a Wii fanboy even though you play on the PC and the PSP as well in addition to most Nintendo users being multiplatform users.  Also, sometimes people have accused you of being a raging fanboy. Despite that idea fanboys are inherent idiots who can't even highlight properly articulate thoughts and ideas into a debate yet these fanboys don't take the time to read your so called "Wall of Text" even though it wouldn't even constitute as an essay, or hell, a page of a book.  Crazy isn't? "
    Sure is crazy isn't.

I play mostly on my PC but I own a Wii, which I use occasionally. I only use it for all the old arcade emulations, though. In terms of new releases, there isn't shit that I'm interested in, third party or Nintendo. I don't want the Wii to crash and burn, but I'm also all for new IP coming out from the PS3/X360.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.