Purchased My First Wii, Played My First Wii

Posted by Godzilla_Sushi (1084 posts) -

With the new black Wii bundle I decided to not only buy a Wii, but also catch up from the beginning. I've managed to never play one before, even at kiosks. I guess it just never really captured my attention. My first games are Super Mario Galaxy and Sonic and the Secret Rings. Mario Galaxy is a really neat game. I found myself getting a little disoriented at first. I really like it though. I think my last Mario game was Sunshine so it feels familiar but still far in the past. The cutesy art and voices are a nice change of pace I haven't really gotten on a 360. Secret Rings is a little rougher. It was cheap, but what convinced me to buy it was hearing about it when it first came out. I remembered it was received decently and its still kind of fun. Muddy textures aside its what I expected, quick. Not a pretty one though. Wii Sports Resort is fantastic. I must have played golf for hours and lost track of time. Going to the Wii from a 360 is a bit jarring at first. They aren't the best looking games. But still enjoying it very much, quirks aside. Also, the Virtual Console, maybe the best part. I can't believe how many really awesome games are available for it. Almost everything I would want from a SNES!

#1 Posted by Godzilla_Sushi (1084 posts) -

With the new black Wii bundle I decided to not only buy a Wii, but also catch up from the beginning. I've managed to never play one before, even at kiosks. I guess it just never really captured my attention. My first games are Super Mario Galaxy and Sonic and the Secret Rings. Mario Galaxy is a really neat game. I found myself getting a little disoriented at first. I really like it though. I think my last Mario game was Sunshine so it feels familiar but still far in the past. The cutesy art and voices are a nice change of pace I haven't really gotten on a 360. Secret Rings is a little rougher. It was cheap, but what convinced me to buy it was hearing about it when it first came out. I remembered it was received decently and its still kind of fun. Muddy textures aside its what I expected, quick. Not a pretty one though. Wii Sports Resort is fantastic. I must have played golf for hours and lost track of time. Going to the Wii from a 360 is a bit jarring at first. They aren't the best looking games. But still enjoying it very much, quirks aside. Also, the Virtual Console, maybe the best part. I can't believe how many really awesome games are available for it. Almost everything I would want from a SNES!

#2 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -

Congratulations!

The Virtual Console kinda loses it's luster once you move on to WiiWare, but there's still a lot of must haves, especially for the younger newer generation who when growing up already had the 128-bit consoles at their disposal.

#3 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

Welcome to the dark side.  With the decent back catalogue of games that will be cheap, you will have plenty of fun ahead of you.  What else is catching your eye?

#4 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
@Willy105 said:
" Congratulations!  The Virtual Console kinda loses it's luster once you move on to WiiWare, but there's still a lot of must haves, especially for the younger newer generation who when growing up already had the 128-bit consoles at their disposal. "
I think VC>Wiiware.

Enjoy your new purchase sir.
#5 Posted by LiquidPrince (15946 posts) -

Maybe it's just me, but some games on the Wii look worse to me, then any of my PS2 games. I remember popping in Persona 4 quite recently and despite lacking some detail, it was still a very crisp experience. When I pop in any of my Wii games except Muramasa, there is always a couple of seconds of cringing before my eyes adjust to the wierd textures. For example, Twilight Princess kind of disappointed me. I expected a slightly better looking game. Whatever, I'm still enjoying it for the most part.

#6 Posted by Godzilla_Sushi (1084 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:
" Maybe it's just me, but some games on the Wii look worse to me, then any of my PS2 games. I remember popping in Persona 4 quite recently and despite lacking some detail, it was still a very crisp experience. When I pop in any of my Wii games except Muramasa, there is always a couple of seconds of cringing before my eyes adjust to the wierd textures. For example, Twilight Princess kind of disappointed me. I expected a slightly better looking game. Whatever, I'm still enjoying it for the most part. "
Well, I can't really speak to many of the games. Mario looks awesome, but so far everything has looked pretty rough.

@oldschool said:
" Welcome to the dark side.  With the decent back catalogue of games that will be cheap, you will have plenty of fun ahead of you.  What else is catching your eye? "

Last night I bought Mario Galaxy 2, New SMBW, and SSX Blur. Honestly I was having trouble finding more then that. Absolutely want to get Silent Hill at some point. I'm not big on Smash Brothers but I could find something there maybe.
#7 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -

New SMBW   is awesome   my favorite mario game since Super Mario RPG

#8 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:
" Maybe it's just me, but some games on the Wii look worse to me, then any of my PS2 games. I remember popping in Persona 4 quite recently and despite lacking some detail, it was still a very crisp experience. When I pop in any of my Wii games except Muramasa, there is always a couple of seconds of cringing before my eyes adjust to the wierd textures. For example, Twilight Princess kind of disappointed me. I expected a slightly better looking game. Whatever, I'm still enjoying it for the most part. "
I play my consoles on my 36" Flat Screen Sony Wega, so it's 480i and everything looks fine. My neighbor has a Wii and a 47" 1080p. Oh my god, the jaggies... they... they're everywhere.
#9 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@Willy105 said:
" Congratulations!  The Virtual Console kinda loses it's luster once you move on to WiiWare, but there's still a lot of must haves, especially for the younger newer generation who when growing up already had the 128-bit consoles at their disposal. "
There's some good stuff on Wiiware, but IMO it hasn't passed any single nintendo console on the VC. To say otherwise seems misleading.
@LiquidPrince said:

To be fair, Twilight Princess is essentially a gamecube port. They didn't really do much to it in the transition.
@Godzilla_Sushi:
Hope your collection looks something like this in the near future.

Personal Wii Collection

My growing Wii collection

1. Muramasa: The Demon Blade

finished

2. No More Heroes

finished

3. Resident Evil 4

finished

4. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

finished

5. MadWorld

finished

6. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

finished

7. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

finished

8. Mario Strikers Charged

finished

9. Wii Sports

finished (pro all sports)

10. Wii Fit

finished

11. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

played

12. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

played

13. Ōkami

played

14. Madden NFL 07

played (alot)

15. Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

played

16. de Blob

played

17. Battalion Wars 2

played

18. Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles

played

19. Metroid Prime Trilogy

played

20. Trauma Center: Second Opinion

played

21. Rock Band 2

played

22. The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces

played

23. Castlevania Judgment

played (avoid this game)

24. Super Mario Galaxy
25. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All Stars

played

26. A Boy and His Blob
27. Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
28. Little King's Story
29. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
30. NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams
#10 Posted by LiquidPrince (15946 posts) -
@Claude: I play on a 40" 1080P TV and yeah, jaggie hell.
#11 Posted by damnboyadvance (4060 posts) -

Congrats!

#12 Posted by j_drace (353 posts) -
@AgentJ: I'm not sure if you're bragging or what since I always see you gloating about your collection and I would like to know what's so good about it?
#13 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@j_drace said:
" @AgentJ: I'm not sure if you're bragging or what since I always see you gloating about your collection and I would like to know what's so good about it? "
It's just my thing. I make lists, and share them. I only buy and keep good games, so the list is a recommendation of what he should get for his Wii.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.