Regarding the big Nintendo news that broke around 24 hours ago...

Posted by Villainess (19 posts) -

...I'm a bit taken aback by the pessimistic response it has received from comments and forum posts on gaming sites across the internet. One of the most common certainly being: "Why should Nintendo bother? Sony and Microsoft will just release their successor systems 1-2 years later."

Has launching 1-2 years AFTER the first competitor's console released the past 3 generations really given Nintendo an advantage, particularly regarding third party support?

Whether 2012 or 2014/15, Nintendo likely won't be going for the super ultra highest priciest cutting edge power in existence for the system, with the main difference being that in 2014 they could get lost in the shuffle from the beginning, opposed to 2012, where for the first time since the NES, they would at least have those couple of years to themselves, rather than none.

As I did six months ago, I still stand by this news as being far more exciting than woeful, but once again I get the feeling that I'm in the minority.

#1 Posted by Villainess (19 posts) -

...I'm a bit taken aback by the pessimistic response it has received from comments and forum posts on gaming sites across the internet. One of the most common certainly being: "Why should Nintendo bother? Sony and Microsoft will just release their successor systems 1-2 years later."

Has launching 1-2 years AFTER the first competitor's console released the past 3 generations really given Nintendo an advantage, particularly regarding third party support?

Whether 2012 or 2014/15, Nintendo likely won't be going for the super ultra highest priciest cutting edge power in existence for the system, with the main difference being that in 2014 they could get lost in the shuffle from the beginning, opposed to 2012, where for the first time since the NES, they would at least have those couple of years to themselves, rather than none.

As I did six months ago, I still stand by this news as being far more exciting than woeful, but once again I get the feeling that I'm in the minority.

#2 Posted by MoonlightMoth (447 posts) -

I'm pretty excited for a new Nintendo console. It is certainly disappointing that such news appears to be considered a negative by so many, but as ever, time will be the judge.

By the way, when are those blogs about "evil females, Villianesses and all around bad girls" coming? It's been nearly a year goddamn it!

#3 Posted by ajamafalous (11592 posts) -

I'm cautiously optimistic, but if it's another waggle controller count me out.

#4 Posted by msavo (7522 posts) -

All these rumors are starting to get me interested but I will not be getting it the first year, I learned my lesson with the Wii. I had some good times with my Wii but man it sat there for a long time until I got my PS3. Not saying the PS3 is better I just make it a rule now to at least wait a year to buy a console. Possible price drops, bigger library, online kinks, and I don't want a 360 RROD situation.

#5 Posted by Villainess (19 posts) -
@AllIsHeresy: @AllIsHeresy said:
" I'm pretty excited for a new Nintendo console. It is certainly disappointing that such news appears to be considered a negative by so many, but as ever, time will be the judge.By the way, when are those blogs about "evil females, Villianesses and all around bad girls" coming? It's been nearly a year goddamn it! "

Heh, sorry about that. These Whiskey sites are still missing so many games/volumes/episodes/etc. that they seem to grab all of my attention lately, but I'll see about getting a post up soon.
#6 Posted by xyzygy (9625 posts) -

After hearing the latest news about the controller, apparently instead of using motion controls there will be a touchscreen and it will act as the sensor bar did for the Wii. So essentially, your finger is the equivalent of the Wii Remote. On top of that there are buttons with a d-pad, triggers, start/select, etc. This sounds like awesome new to me and it'll be a really cool way of intereacting with a console that doesn't have to do with getting up or moving your arms around. Kind of like a Console version of the 3DS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.