Resident Evil 4 - Gamecube or Wii version?

#1 Posted by Cheesebob (1249 posts) -

During a drunken convosation, I bought resident evil 4 for the gamecube for the price of two pints of cider having thought that I had sold the version on the wii a while a go (which turned out not to be the case). 

So my question is, which is the superior version?

#2 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2730 posts) -

Wii. 

#3 Posted by ApertureSilence (1156 posts) -

Gamecube version, by far. Because I prefer traditional controls.

#4 Posted by Sargus (732 posts) -

Well, judging by your original post, you have both... So why don't you have an opinion on the matter? 

I never played it on the Wii because I played it to death on the GCN, but I hear the Wii version is definitive.

#5 Posted by Icemael (6363 posts) -

Wii. Far better controls, a bunch of bonus content that isn't in the GameCube version, and I think it might even have slightly improved graphics.

#6 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -

I found the Wii version better since the controls allowed you to aim quicker. Still, both are awesome.

#7 Posted by FlyingRat (1446 posts) -

PS2! Bam!

But to answer the question, GameCube.

#9 Posted by Kiemoe (1058 posts) -

Wii version. The controls are a lot tighter and faster, that was my favorite game I've played on the Wii. Whenever you pull up your sights on the gamecube version you'll always be looking kinda down and it takes longer to line up shots.

#10 Posted by Mikemcn (7018 posts) -

Aiming with a  wii mote works way better than most people think. Get the wii version.  

#11 Posted by saroorhai (21 posts) -

The Wii version. You can use the GC controller and the classic controller in addition to the wiimote and nunchuck. The cross-hair will also change according to the control you use. You can' t really go wrong with the wii version, regardless of what type of control you prefer.

#12 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I have played every version except for the PS2 one, and I vastly prefer the Wii version. Aside from having ALL of the content, I find the control scheme to be much more effective than the GCN one.

Of course, both are totally freaking awesome.

#13 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4985 posts) -

The Wii version is the "Complete" version. Has the graphics of the Gamecube version and the content of the PS2 version. Plus you don't have to use the Wiimote to aim as you can use the Gamecube or Classic Controller.

#14 Posted by Caligula (174 posts) -
@MurderByDeath said:
" Gamecube version, by far. Because I prefer traditional controls. "
this in spades.

I played the Wii version, and I fucking wanted to cry on how bad the controls made it.
#15 Posted by Cheesebob (1249 posts) -

Hmm looks like its the Wii version then! 

To answer the question why I don't have an opinion on the matter. I forgot all about Resident Evil 4 on the wii till last week and so had no idea which was better.

#16 Posted by IBurningStar (2190 posts) -

Wii version. It is the original GC RE4 plus a lot of extra crap from the PS2 version plus the option of Wiimote controls.

#17 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

Wii, NGC, PS2, PC. With the right patches, the PC version looks awesome!
#18 Posted by Cheesebob (1249 posts) -

I heard the Pc version has the worst controls, however

#19 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -

The Wii version is great. It has all the extra stuff the PS2 version had but also AWESOME controls. My biggest gripe about the game (I hated aiming SO MUCH) and they fixed it.

#20 Posted by Belmont_Shadow (173 posts) -

lol @ Everyone saying the GC version. Wii version HAS GAMECUBE controller support and the extras. You'd have to be an idiot to buy the GCversion if you have a wii.

#21 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2120 posts) -

It depends.  I would say the Wii version.  Graphics are a bit better, letterboxing is now fixed with HDTV's, and better controls.  The only complaint I actually have with the controls is the fact that they get kind of tiring after playing for more than an hour or so.

#22 Posted by robbob88 (326 posts) -
@Belmont_Shadow said:
" lol @ Everyone saying the GC version. Wii version HAS GAMECUBE controller support and the extras. You'd have to be an idiot to buy the GCversion if you have a wii. "
Hahaha yeah.
#23 Posted by YetiAntics (1493 posts) -

wait for the HD version =D

#24 Posted by JJGIANT (760 posts) -

The Wii version feels really nice.

#25 Posted by robbob88 (326 posts) -
@PantyshotMQN said:
" wait for the HD version =D "
I cannot wait for that. I am actually more excited for CV then I am Resi4.
#26 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4700 posts) -

The Wii version had all the extras of the PS2 version so that is a plus. I prefer the Gamecube controller and I'm not sure if the Wii version supports it or not. You can't go wrong either way. The game is not as impressive as it once was but it's still superb.
#27 Posted by robbob88 (326 posts) -
@ImmortalSaiyan said:
" The Wii version had all the extras of the PS2 version so that is a plus. I prefer the Gamecube controller and I'm not sure if the Wii version supports it or not. You can't go wrong either way. The game is not as impressive as it once was but it's still superb. "
Agreed.
#28 Posted by Skullo (646 posts) -

Z=Run

The game goes alot faster.

If the game gives you a rocket launcher, pick it up! It make those two blind things alot easier.

I've been meaning to get another copy of this and see if I can beat the blind things without leaning on the Z button.

#29 Posted by NickLott (793 posts) -

Wii version. I vastly preferred the controls for the Wii. 

#30 Edited by ptys (1992 posts) -

It's always the original. It's like the conversations about which version of Street Fighter 2 is the best... it's The World Warrior. Sure they may not be as finely tuned but all the stuff was created for that original release. Anything done after the fact is borrowed and can be considered slightly stale or second hand IMO.

#31 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -
@Belmont_Shadow said:
"lol @ Everyone saying the GC version. Wii version HAS GAMECUBE controller support and the extras. You'd have to be an idiot to buy the GCversion if you have a wii. "
#32 Posted by AK_the_Twilight (52 posts) -

The Wii version is (at least, currently) the definitive version. The game is significantly faster-paced with Wii controls and you get all that extra stuff that was on the PS2 version as well.

#33 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

You're better off just waiting for the PS3 version now.

PS3 (Move Support) > 360 > Wii > PS2 > GC

It goes in that order.
#34 Posted by Landon (4164 posts) -

HEY GUYS! Someone had a question about which version to buy A MONTH AGO, let's bring it back anyway.

#35 Posted by Festerin88 (12 posts) -

I personally prefer the GameCube version... not a huge wii fan.

#36 Posted by nindoten (44 posts) -

RE4: wii edition, is the best version yet.
#37 Posted by WoodenPlatypus (1356 posts) -

Completed it on the GC, did only one mission on the Wii at my friends house.

So GameCube.

#38 Posted by AuthenticM (3801 posts) -

Wait for either the 360 or PS3 version.

#39 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5396 posts) -

Wii.

#40 Posted by Seroth (726 posts) -

I'm not surprised that so many people don't know you can use a Gamecube controller on the Wii version of the game. You have to do something weird like unplug the Wii nunchuk at a certain intro warning screen. If you started without a nunchuk already in, it would tell you to plug the nunchuk in.

I actually had a bet going with a friend about it having Gamecube controller support, and he felt on smug when he said it didn't work when he tried it. I had to tell him the stupidly complicated process to get it to work and I won the bet. :P
#41 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Wii, you get additional content.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.