Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles Debut Trailer

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

There's not all that much to see (check the screenshots for that) but I like its cinematic look.

PR stuffs:

SAN MATEO, Calif. – March 12, 2009 — Capcom®, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, today announced its plans for a big comeback of its multi-million-selling franchise, Resident Evil® to the Wii™ video game system this year. Resident Evil®: The Darkside Chronicles, the sequel to the highly successful Wii title Resident Evil®: The Umbrella Chronicles, is in development exclusively for the Wii and is set to hit North American retailers this winter. Capcom also introduced its plans for a new Resident Evil “Classics” line, which will bring the critically acclaimed Nintendo GameCube™ classics, Resident Evil® and Resident Evil® Zero exclusively to the Wii, allowing a whole new audience to experience the world of Resident Evil.

“We are very excited to be bringing the sequel to Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles to the Wii as it’s the perfect fit for the platform,” said Mona Hamilton, vice president, marketing, Capcom Entertainment. “We are always looking for new ways to give Capcom fans a chance to experience our games. Umbrella Chronicles was a huge success for us, Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles includes a more in-depth co-op experience, and we are excited to bring this exclusive content to the Wii audience.”

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles‘s story is based on Resident Evil 2 and includes the popular characters, Leon S Kenney and Claire Redfield. Its on-rails style gameplay and active camera will create a more immersive “Chronicles” survival experience. As in the last installment, this is a first-person game with extreme shooting gameplay and interactive pathways. Filling in many of the missing pieces of storyline that were not covered in the original “Umbrella Chronicles”, Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles will give hardcore fans the chance to re-live some of the most classic moments of the Resident Evil franchise, while allowing new players to take advantage of the intense action-horror experience only possible on the Wii.

Gamers can choose to take on their enemies with the help of an A.I.-controlled character or enlist the help of a friend to fight via two-player co-op. Adding new dimension and strategy to the arcade-style gameplay in the “Chronicles” experience, the new Evade system will utilize the Wii Remote for a more intense experience when fighting enemies.

Capcom’s new Resident Evil “Classics” line will allow the new audience who has embraced the Wii to experience some of the greatest games in the Resident Evil franchise for the value price of $29.99. Both set to launch this year, the remake of Resident Evil and Resident Evil Zero have been refitted to support the Wii Remote, giving the Wii audience easy access to the rich characters and in-depth storylines of the series and the chance to experience both games on a new platform.

More information on Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles and the Resident Evil “Classics” Line will be revealed in the coming months. For the first details, images of the games and key characters, visit the official Capcom press site at http://press.capcom.com

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Okay.

That looks awesome. I only hope it doesn't get annying trying to aim with that going.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks
    • Darkside Chronicles takes place in Resident Evil 2's Racoon City - city turned to hell due to T-Virus.
    • Players control Claire Redfield and Leon S. Kennedy in on-rails, Umbrella Chronicles styled play.
    • Enemy no longer Umbrella (hence the different title), focuses on darker areas of the RE story and character history. More horror compared to the original.
    • Scenarios from RE2 will be included, with various past characters including Shelly Birkin.
    • Makes use of the Havoc engine for realistic physics.
    • Re-playability being improved, and also accessibility for newer players. Seasoned shooters can use the dynamic difficulty system from RE4/5 for a tougher experience.
    • Partner character shown on screen in front of you - in single player mode.
    • Game is about 35^ complete, without a final release period set.

If Capcom think Wii owners will be happy with this, they are fucking crazy...

These lightgun games need a radical overhaul if you ask me, I am now sick of them. I do not want yet another under-par lightgun game, which UC was for me. If this still has the same sluggish Zombies from the first game, well Capcom can go fuck themselves, I wont have anything to like about this product if that's the case.

I have no intention of buying this at all, and am sure many Wii owners will not too having bought HoTD :Overkill recently.

What's needed in this new game: 

• Faster NPCs
    • Greater difficulty
    • A lot more variation in NPCs
    • Better graphics
    • Online Co Op

If it lacks any of these things, it will be a immediate fail from me.

[Capcom have confirmed that the Resident Evil 1 and Zero will be heading to US Wii as part of a "Classics" range...make of that what you will]

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Meowayne
    Linkyshinks said:
    • Online Co Op

Why? I mean seriously. Where's the fun in Online Co Op in a lightgun shooter? ._. That seems absolutely nonsensical, even comical to me. Online Leaderboards, I can see the sense in that, but online MP? nah.

Well, I like the look of that trailer, seems like they're really trying to get that interactive movie feel and move away from the concept of Shoot waves of Zombies, Look at a 1 minute cutscene, Repeat schema.Might jsut be good. That "guided first person experience" expression comes to my mind.
    We'll see. But in general, I agree with the lot of you: We've had enough Arcade Shooters for now. The revival was nice, and I like my new HotD Hand Cannons, but let's move on.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

Why does online CoOp seem nonsensical, even comical to you :? Is it because Wii's online ability has been nonsensical and comical to date?

Where's the fun in Online Co Op in a lightgun shooter?

The same place there is fun in any online CoOp game : / If this game were on any other platform online CoOp would be absolute certainty given their com devices, but then other platforms don't get lightgun games anymore..do they.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Meowayne
    Linkyshinks said:
    "Why does online CoOp seem nonsensical, even comical to you :? Is it because Wii's online ability has been nonsensical and comical to date? "
    No, I just don't see the appeal of lightgunning zombies with someone not sitting or standing next to you. It'd be awkward.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r

Replaced the video with gametrailers embed, it's a little better quality and has English text. I really like the feel they're going for, it's kinda like watching a movie in first person, and you do the shooting part. If they can pull it off well enough throughout the whole game then it's a nice change of pace from the usual lightgun shooters which employ obviously setup gamey situations for the majority of the encounters.

Joystiq article talking about how it's going to be a very dark game. Not in the Doom 3 sense.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

The game has a time crisis style cover system apparently. I wonder how that will work with the cinematic feel the trailer has. I guess it's as simple as not having it available during the running sequences.

"Kawata-san has promised that he's going to go more in depth with the new cover mechanic being introduced in this game, as well as showing off how the Wii remote is being used."

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By the8bitNacho

Fuck this.  RE2 is considered the best game in the series by a fairly large portion of the series' fan base, and they're insulting it by doing it this way.  Remake the game, REmake style.  Stop trying to cash in on a popular license.  DO NOT become Square Enix.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By the8bitNacho

Fuck this.  RE2 is considered the best game in the series by a fairly large portion of the series' fan base, and they're insulting it by doing it this way.  Remake the game, REmake style.  Stop trying to cash in on a popular license.  DO NOT become Square Enix.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

Jeez,  if it's the best game then go play it, what's wrong with having a little lightgun shooty fun? It's not like CAPCOM's new to the milking business, look how many SF games there are, yet we're only at number 4. At least these games are different, new, from the ground up experiences, not clones. And it's not like there's so many of these, the genre was dead before the Wii, it's good to have it back.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.