Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

So is the Wii the least favorite console on Giantbomb?

coonana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By coonana

Out of the three next gen consoles they cover, it seems like on a personal level they prefer the other systems more. Just based off of the amount of coverage they give to Wii compared to say 360/PS3 and their personal opinions in podcasts.

Does it bother you that possibly your favorite system is lower priority?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

Not that they hate it but I believe it's a case of, it just doesn't release that many games that is of interest to them.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By rallier

It bothers me that I have to go to other sites to be kept up to date and that even though there are plenty of users reporting on Nintendo news on the forums those posts get lost in general discussion and there is no way to filter them out.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Rallier said:
    " It bothers me that I have to go to other sites to be kept up to date and that even though there are plenty of users reporting on Nintendo news on the forums those posts get lost in general discussion and there is no way to filter them out. "
    Sure there is. Go to the dedicated Wii forums.
    coonana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By coonana

I know WIi fans here notice it.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Barrock

The sad fact is that the Wii has WAY less games coming out that are of interest. I mean so far for the 360 and PS3 we've seen Darksiders, MAG, Dante's Inferno, Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, Heavy Rain, White Knight Chronicles, Army of Two 2, and Bayonetta.

The Wii has had No More Heroes 2 and Tatsunoku Vs. Capcom and maybe Final Fantasy CC if you want to count that.

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Interfect

I want to buy a Wii as my next console so i dont just have my PS3. If that makes you feel any better

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rallier
    @LiquidPrince: Discussions about specific games are in the specific game forums not the platform forums. Some people just post news about specific games there due to a lack of filter option on the site. If i make a new thread in say the game forum of a wiiware game that thread will get lost in general discussion and no one will see it and thus not comment on it. I could show you plenty examples of this being the case.  It is the same problem for every non high-profile game on these forums actually.
    coonana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By coonana

With Darksiders, Dante's Inferno, and White Chronicles all getting bad to meh reviews.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Geno

GB is a hardcore gaming site and the Wii is a decidedly more casual console. It isn't devoid of hardcore games, it's just that titles like Mass Effect 2 and Heavy Rain tend to dwarf whatever's coming out on the Wii. 

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Rallier:  No, I get what you mean, but then again, if such threads are posted and you are looking forward to the game, then you will find them.
    tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tmthomsen
    @coonana said:

" With Darksiders, Dante's Inferno, and White Chronicles all getting bad to meh reviews. "

No.
    Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Barrock
    @coonana said:
    " With Darksiders, Dante's Inferno, and White Chronicles all getting bad to meh reviews. "
    Darksiders, not so much. The other two yes. But they were big titles with hype.
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rallier
    @LiquidPrince: Problem is when it are new game announcement that you have never heard of. The forums would be so much better if the added a filter option, all the data they need for this are in the wiki pages of the games.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Rallier:  Sure, why not.
    coonana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By coonana
    @TMThomsen said:
    " @coonana said:

No. "
    What is wrong with my statements?

All those games are either alright or bad. As Barrok said, Darksiders being the best of the three disappointing games.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Meowayne

I don't come here for their reviews, videos or other features. The giantbomb crew represents the average American gamer - for most people here, this is what makes them awesome. For me, it makes them annoying.

Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Siris

If there were more good games for Wii, this wouldn't be a problem.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Rhaknar

Darksiders got great reviews... I didnt want to post in this topic because to each its own and all that, but if youre going to start attacking the ACTUAL current gen system games (thats right, I said it), I'm going to have to remind you that while the Wii has some amazing games, it also has a metric ton of shovelware, and thats why most people dont like it. And dont even give me the "so why does it sell so much" argument...you KNOW why it sells so much.

The above poster nailed it, all the big releases in 2 months this year were for ps3 and 360, the Wii had 2 games worth talking about, Tatsunoko and No More Heroes, both covered in giantbomb

coonana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By coonana

Jeff Gerstman has some pretty refined tastes, more so than the average gamer....

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @coonana said:

" @TMThomsen said:

" @coonana said:

No. "
    What is wrong with my statements?  All those games are either alright or bad. As Barrok said, Darksiders being the best of the three disappointing games. "
    Not sure what Darksiders reviews you've been reading, some people have disliked it, but generally it's been getting very good reviews.  It's sitting at 83% on Metacritic, that's hardly disappointing.  Aside from ME2, it's my favourite game released this year.  About time we saw more Zelda style games on the PS3/360.  And I think the upcoming demo that gives you the entire first dungeon to play through may dispell the stereotype of many people thinking it's simply a God of War clone.

The other two, yes, but even they still have their fans.
    coonana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By coonana
    @Rhaknar said:
    " Darksiders got great reviews... I didnt want to post in this topic because to each its own and all that, but if youre going to start attacking the ACTUAL current gen system games (thats right, I said it), I'm going to have to remind you that while the Wii has some amazing games, it also has a metric ton of shovelware, and thats why most people dont like it. And dont even give me the "so why does it sell so much" argument...you KNOW why it sells so much.  The above poster nailed it, all the big releases in 2 months this year were for ps3 and 360, the Wii had 2 games worth talking about, Tatsunoko and No More Heroes, both covered in giantbomb "
    You need to read what I said. I just said those three games were not what they were hyped to be. I know Mass Effect 2 is good, I know Heavy Rain looks interesting. I know there are releases that the Wii does not even get, but that does not change the fact that there is a large Wii crowd here that I find is being neglected by the people behind this site. Good Wii games are often late to coverage as well as news. Just because Wii has casuals more focused in on it than the other systems does not mean its devoid of big releases and quality titles.
    coonana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By coonana
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @coonana said:

" @TMThomsen said:

" @coonana said:

No. "
    What is wrong with my statements?  All those games are either alright or bad. As Barrok said, Darksiders being the best of the three disappointing games. "
    Not sure what Darksiders reviews you've been reading, some people have disliked it, but generally it's been getting very good reviews.  It's sitting at 83% on Metacritic, that's hardly disappointing.  Aside from ME2, it's my favourite game released this year.  About time we saw more Zelda style games on the PS3/360.  And I think the upcoming demo that gives you the entire first dungeon to play through may dispell the stereotype of many people thinking it's simply a God of War clone. The other two, yes, but even they still have their fans. "
    I mean Darksiders was a disappointment because it was hyped to be much better. The game has some qualities none of which are original.
    tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tmthomsen
    @coonana: Since when does a game needs to be original to be good?
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25  Edited By Geno
    @Meowayne said:
    " I don't come here for their reviews, videos or other features. The giantbomb crew represents the average American gamer - for most people here, this is what makes them awesome. For me, it makes them annoying. "
    Really? Because over half the quick looks here are of obscure titles that the average American gamer has never heard of let alone played or will play. As game journalists they are almost by definition not the average gamer. 
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Shadow

As an owner of all three systems....the Wii sucks

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Castro
    @coonana said:
    " @Rhaknar said:
    " Darksiders got great reviews... I didnt want to post in this topic because to each its own and all that, but if youre going to start attacking the ACTUAL current gen system games (thats right, I said it), I'm going to have to remind you that while the Wii has some amazing games, it also has a metric ton of shovelware, and thats why most people dont like it. And dont even give me the "so why does it sell so much" argument...you KNOW why it sells so much.  The above poster nailed it, all the big releases in 2 months this year were for ps3 and 360, the Wii had 2 games worth talking about, Tatsunoko and No More Heroes, both covered in giantbomb "
    You need to read what I said. I just said those three games were not what they were hyped to be. I know Mass Effect 2 is good, I know Heavy Rain looks interesting. I know there are releases that the Wii does not even get, but that does not change the fact that there is a large Wii crowd here that I find is being neglected by the people behind this site. Good Wii games are often late to coverage as well as news. Just because Wii has casuals more focused in on it than the other systems does not mean its devoid of big releases and quality titles. "
    I think it's been said a couple of times elsewhere (not in this thread,) that Jeff and the other people that run this site cover whatever games they are interested in. It's not that they are neglecting it, it's just that there aren't that many games that they are interested in. Kinda like how they aren't interested in sports games, so they don't review them. It seems like they weren't too heavily into PC games either, but then they got Dave to handle all that stuff.

You also mentioned that they are late to cover Wii games as well. I think that they are also late to cover titles on other platforms pretty frequently. Sometimes they will have a review up of a game the day it's released, like Bioshock 2 or whatever. Sometimes it's late as was the case with Dante's Inferno. 

In conclusion, I don't think that you have anything to worry about. There are other websites, like GoNintendo, that I go to for straight up Nintendo stuff. I come here because the people that run the site are rad and Giant Bomb has hands-down the best community on the internet (as far as video games go, anyway.)
    coonana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By coonana
    @TMTomsen

I never said the game was bad. It was a disappointment based on hype and it lacked originality. Those are comments surrounding the game and I would take NMH2 or TvsC over Darksiders any day. ME2, Heavy Rain and some real AA releases are a different story, but again just because those games exist does not mean we can't get proper coverage on some great games coming out.

Will Red Steel 2 be really delayed on a review?
    Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't touched mine in over a year, but when I play Wii, I PLAY Wii. As in going to our other house with some friends and family and playing drunken Mario Kart and Smash Brawl for a whole week.

Still, I'm glad I own one since it has a number of excellent titles and I can't wait for future Metroid, Zelda and Mario Galaxy games.

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#30  Edited By megalowho

Sorry, but this complaint rings hollow. Just a quick browse of Giant Bomb over the last few weeks yields coverage of No More Heroes 2, Tomena Sanner, Blaster Master Overdrive, Tatsunoko vs Capcom and Shiren The Wanderer. Giant Bomb's coverage of NMH2 even convinced me to purchase the game myself.

They did a great video for Let's Tap, subjected themselves to the embarrassing charms of Just Dance, and have done Quick Looks or Reviews for just about every notable Wii title released over the past year, along with many that are not.

There's no favoritism at play here. You cannot force coverage of a system just to create an equal split between platforms, and the output of notable releases on the Wii simply does not compare to that of the PC, 360 and PS3. If I am wrong, please let me know what Wii games have not been taken seriously here that should be. 

Edit: If the problem is more the fact that they don't play as many Wii games in their personal time as the other platforms, well, personally I do not know a single multiple console owner that does. If the WIi is your only console, you can have a great time with its library alone no question. But don't expect people with access to all that gaming has to offer to make the Wii their platform of choice when much of the industry's focus outside of Nintendo itself is not directed upon it.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lucas_kelly

They have better thing to do than play with childrens toys.

coonana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By coonana

Never said it was favoritism....but it is something.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
    @megalowho said:
    " Sorry, but this complaint rings hollow. Just a quick browse of Giant Bomb over the last few weeks yields coverage of No More Heroes 2, Tomena Sanner, Blaster Master Overdrive, Tatsunoko vs Capcom and Shiren The Wanderer. Giant Bomb's coverage of NMH2 even convinced me to purchase the game myself. They did a great video for Let's Tap, subjected themselves to the embarrassing charms of Just Dance, and have done Quick Looks or Reviews for just about every notable Wii title released over the past year, along with many that are not. There's no favoritism at play here. You cannot force coverage of a system just to create an equal split between platforms, and the output of notable releases on the Wii simply does not compare to that of the PC, 360 and PS3. If I am wrong, please let me know what Wii games have not been taken seriously here that should be. "
    Yes, but have they reviewed most of those titles? 

@lucas_kelly said:
    " They have better thing to do than play with childrens toys. "

This is a troll. No?
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @coonana said:
    I mean Darksiders was a disappointment because it was hyped to be much better. The game has some qualities none of which are original. "
    I don't think a game needs to be original to be good..  Look at something like Banjo-Kazooie, it's a straight up clone of Mario 64, yet is widely hailed as one of the best platform games of all time.
    What about the rest of Nintendos franchises?  They're pretty much all recycled over and over again..  Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver are about to be released, the long awaited remakes of Gold and Silver, and they bring nothing new to the table what so ever.  Will that stop them getting glowing reviews and selling millions in the first day?

The point was that Darksiders, aside from a few negative reviews, was very well recieved and sold very well.
    I also don't remember any hype about the game at all, I didn't even know it existed until shortly before it came out, and even then it was marketed as a God of War style hack and slash, rather than a huge Zelda style adventure game with challenging dungeons.  Original?  No.  But by no means "disappointing."
    coonana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By coonana
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @coonana said:
    I mean Darksiders was a disappointment because it was hyped to be much better. The game has some qualities none of which are original. "
    I don't think a game needs to be original to be good..  Look at something like Banjo-Kazooie, it's a straight up clone of Mario 64, yet is widely hailed as one of the best platform games of all time. What about the rest of Nintendos franchises?  They're pretty much all recycled over and over again..  Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver are about to be released, the long awaited remakes of Gold and Silver, and they bring nothing new to the table what so ever.  Will that stop them getting glowing reviews and selling millions in the first day?  The point was that Darksiders, aside from a few negative reviews, was very well recieved and sold very well. I also don't remember any hype about the game at all, I didn't even know it existed until shortly before it came out, and even then it was marketed as a God of War style hack and slash, rather than a huge Zelda style adventure game with challenging dungeons.  Original?  No.  But by no means "disappointing." "
    I never said it had to be original to be good. But good original games are much more impressive than competent games from trusted formulas.

Maybe you didn't hear the hype but it was talked about like a perfect mix of Zelda and God of War.

Mario 64 is one of the best games ever made BECAUSE of its originality. Banjo and Kazooie will always be a good game, but nothing to the Mario 64 because it started it all.

Many Nintendo franchises like Mario and Metroid are very unique with every new installment. Pokemon is a formula they do not mess much with.
    megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#36  Edited By megalowho
    @Kou_Leifoh said:
    " @megalowho said:
    " Sorry, but this complaint rings hollow. Just a quick browse of Giant Bomb over the last few weeks yields coverage of No More Heroes 2, Tomena Sanner, Blaster Master Overdrive, Tatsunoko vs Capcom and Shiren The Wanderer. Giant Bomb's coverage of NMH2 even convinced me to purchase the game myself. They did a great video for Let's Tap, subjected themselves to the embarrassing charms of Just Dance, and have done Quick Looks or Reviews for just about every notable Wii title released over the past year, along with many that are not. There's no favoritism at play here. You cannot force coverage of a system just to create an equal split between platforms, and the output of notable releases on the Wii simply does not compare to that of the PC, 360 and PS3. If I am wrong, please let me know what Wii games have not been taken seriously here that should be. "
    Yes, but have they reviewed most of those titles?    

Do you really feel that each title above warrants a full review? If you are of the opinion that yes, all games for all systems should be fully played and reviewed by a site, then you are in the wrong place. Giant Bomb has an editorial staff of four for all intents and purposes, and that's never been how they've operated.

Personally I feel they do a good job of covering as many games as they can in as many ways for all platforms, including many niche Wii releases that don't get a lot of play elsewhere - ie. Deadly Creatures, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Rabbids Go Home, Story Hour Adventures, CSI: Deadly Intent, Doc Louis' Punch Out. In my opinion, entertaining and informative videos or conversations can hold just as much weight, if not more, than a few paragraphs detailing mechanics with a score attached. I know they engage me more at least.

So what if they don't get all tingly inside when talking about the Wii? It's not their meat and potatoes but they have an obvious love for the quirky nature of many titles on the system. It's about the games anyway, not the consoles.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By oldschool

I did a console survey here last year and the Wii isn't the least popular console, the PSP was. 
    The Giant Giantbomb Console survey: the results.  

What it came down to was that the 360 was owned by 81%, the PS3 by 58% and the Wii at 52% of the users (600ish replied).  The DS had 56% and the PSP 41%.  If one in two here own a Wii, that is a fair number of users. 

For me, as a Nintendo user, I just get my news anywhere but here.  The community makes up for the complete lack of decent journalism. 

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By haggis
    @oldschool: "complete lack of decent journalism." I suspect you know that's not a fair comment. GiantBomb covers the Wii, and they do a very good job of it. Maybe they don't cover it as much as you'd like, but that's hardly a lack of decent journalism. If GiantBomb's priorities don't suit you, go somewhere else (as you say you do). But your comment is qualitative, not quantitative. You're saying they're bad at what they do because they don't give you what you want. I think that's a bit silly.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

the majority of users of this site are outside the target audience of the wii. Hence less coverage.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PureRok
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Rallier:  No, I get what you mean, but then again, if such threads are posted and you are looking forward to the game, then you will find them. "
    Not if you don't know about the game.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#41  Edited By Icemael
    @coonana said:
    "I mean Darksiders was a disappointment because it was hyped to be much better. The game has some qualities none of which are original. "
    What the hell? Look: 

1. Darksiders was not hyped. There were some people looking forward to it, but nobody -- at least not from what I saw -- expected it to be a masterpiece. If anything, it was underhyped; most people didn't expect it to be as good as it was.
    2. Games don't have to be original to be good. Was Dead Space original? Was Uncharted 2 original? Were Shadow Complex or Street Fighter IV original? I think I've made my point.
    Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Gruff182

It's the same with the PC really. Except the PC is actually good.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the Bombcrew, perhaps, but in a reader poll recently it came out that the majority owned a Wii. Interesting...

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By oldschool
    @haggis said:
    " @oldschool: "complete lack of decent journalism." I suspect you know that's not a fair comment. GiantBomb covers the Wii, and they do a very good job of it. Maybe they don't cover it as much as you'd like, but that's hardly a lack of decent journalism. If GiantBomb's priorities don't suit you, go somewhere else (as you say you do). But your comment is qualitative, not quantitative. You're saying they're bad at what they do because they don't give you what you want. I think that's a bit silly. "
    I do think it is entirely fair, as it is my opinion and what I believe.  This site has been littered with some of the worst journalistic dross I have ever been exposed to.  Consequently, I don't bother reading virtually all that is written by the staff, especially the "reviews".  So, yes, I get my news from many and varied sources.  I doubt that will change anytime soon.  I don't dig the whole "frat by" schtick that permeates this place.  I like fun in games reporting, but not the "fun" here.  If you enjoy it, power to you.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By Pie

Theres no news to report?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By oldschool
    @PureRok said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Rallier:  No, I get what you mean, but then again, if such threads are posted and you are looking forward to the game, then you will find them. "
    Not if you don't know about the game. "
    Exactly.  If it is a game unknown to you, then exactly how do you look that game up?  It is a fatal flaw in the set-up.  I have suggested to the staff that they link all games to the platform they are on and although they are reasonably positive about it, the fact that all the other sites are linked in some way (I don't know what), it isn't something that can be easily done.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Meowayne said:
    " I don't come here for their reviews, videos or other features. The giantbomb crew represents the average American gamer - for most people here, this is what makes them awesome. For me, it makes them annoying. "
    Then...why are you using the site if you think the guys who run it are annoying?
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By oldschool
    @Evilsbane said:
    " @Meowayne said:
    Then...why are you using the site if you think the guys who run it are annoying? "
    The same reason I am I figure - the community.  I enjoy using the forums and use nothing else.  Just because I don't share any enthusiasm towards the staff doesn't conflict in any way to that enjoyment - I just don't read their stuff and therefore don't comment in the threads on their articles.  It really isn't a big deal.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49  Edited By Evilsbane
    @oldschool said:
    " @Evilsbane said:
    " @Meowayne said:
    Then...why are you using the site if you think the guys who run it are annoying? "
    The same reason I am I figure - the community.  I enjoy using the forums and use nothing else.  Just because I don't share any enthusiasm towards the staff doesn't conflict in any way to that enjoyment - I just don't read their stuff and therefore don't comment in the threads on their articles.  It really isn't a big deal. "
    Hmm well to each their own, that is why I asked.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MikkaQ

I don't know how you could possibly cover more than they have without looking silly. 

What are they going to review? Game Party 3?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.