So my fiancee is getting me a Wii for Christmas...

• 91 results
#51 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
@SathingtonWaltz: I don't really know how to describe it. It is a 2D sidescroller with hack'n'slash/RPG elements. I love the art style though.
#52 Edited by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

If it has Mario on the cover or in the title and it doesn't have the words Party or Sports in front of or behind it it's probably worth getting. Other then Epic Micky that's about all I can think of.

#53 Posted by Icemael (6312 posts) -

Get: 

Metroid Prime Trilogy -- Incredibly beautiful, atmospheric first-person action adventure games.
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition -- The best version of what's still the best third-person shooter.
Super Mario Galaxy -- Gorgeous, imaginative platformer with tight controls.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 -- Another gorgeous, imaginative platformer with tight controls.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl -- Chaotic fighting game packed with content.
Mario Kart Wii -- A colourful racer that's great deal of fun, despite poor balancing.
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure -- Great-looking adventure game with some really good puzzles.
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess -- Huge, atmospheric action adventure with lots of exploration.
Muramasa: The Demon Blade -- The best-looking game ever made. Also, a pretty good beat 'em up.

Stay away from:

Red Steel -- Busted, ugly first-person shooter with god-awful controls.
No More Heroes -- You do three things in this game. 1: Drive around en empty, pointless open world on a motorbike that controls poorly. 2: Play shitty motion-controlled mini-games over and over to accumulate enough money to purchase the next story mission. 3: Hold down the lock-on button while mindlessly mashing A and occasionally waggling (that's how you beat the story missions).
de Blob -- A one-trick pony, and the trick gets old very fast.
Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Skies -- Boring bullet patterns. Boring graphics. Boring sound effects. Boring story. Boring game.

#54 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -
@SathingtonWaltz said:
" @WilliamRLBaker: Somebody already beat you to the Wii hate. Go away. "
No I don't feel like going away this is general discussion not the Wii forum so last I checked I can express my self however I want as long as I don't overly offend anyone.

#55 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

No More Heroes 1 & 2. Support the awesome.

#56 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@SathingtonWaltz said:
" @owl_of_minerva: I've been doing some research, and there are a TON of great looking games for it."
Uh huh. You keep telling yourself that. 

I'll help you by telling your girlfriend to save the cash or invest it into a system that has a library of decent games beyond the 5 niche titles the Wii has.
#57 Posted by Shuborno (938 posts) -
@SathingtonWaltz said:
" Can somebody give me a list of must haves for the Wii? It's the Black Wii with Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort, with the Wii Remote Plus. "
Honestly, those Wii Sports games are already two of the best. 

Super Mario Galaxy is amazing. I'd say that's a must-have.
#58 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -

Wii sucks in my opinion.  I think they need to step outta the console business and just stick with games.

#59 Edited by xyzygy (9899 posts) -

Red Steel 2, Twilight Princess, Other M, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Prime Trilogy, No More Heroes 1 and 2, Super Paper Mario, Madworld.

#60 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -
@MysteriousBob: It's all we can afford, and based on my own research, there are about 20-25 Wii games I am very interested in. I think it's safe to say that the Wii has the most games for me. I'm leaving PC and Xbox out because I already have a gaming PC, and the Xbox has no games. Also, the PS3 has a lot of good games too, but like I said before, we can't afford it. 
#61 Posted by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -

I wonder if he's engaged to Santa?
#62 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -
@WilliamRLBaker: I didn't say you couldn't say what you wanted. I'm just confused as to why you went out of your way to go on this thread and start talking shit, instead of politely answering my question. You are correct though, this should have been in the Wii forum. Why is it that every fat guy I've met with no hair and a beard is an asshole?
#63 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -
@xyzygy: I heard MadWorld was not that great, what did you like about it?
#64 Posted by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -
@SathingtonWaltz said:
"@WilliamRLBaker: Why is it that every fat guy I've met with no hair and a beard is an asshole? "

Leave WilliamRLBaker's beard OUT OF THIS!
#65 Posted by SumDeus (1857 posts) -

Treat yourself to some RE4.

#66 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -
@BiffMcBlumpkin: 
Santa is a creep. Celebrate Jesus instead. 
#67 Posted by xyzygy (9899 posts) -

If you're considering Muramasa, you might want to hold out for a little longer because there might be a HD remake of it and Odin Sphere coming to XBLA/PSN.

#68 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

pretty much anything made by nintendo. the first party is awesome games.

#69 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

A Wii? Is she mad at you?

#70 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -

Muramasa is great, more of a rental though. Sin and Punishment 2 is amazing, especially if you liked Starfox 64. My other favorite Wii games are the obvious Nintendo first party choices; NSMBWii, Mario Galaxy 1+2, Punch-Out, etc.

#71 Posted by Akeldama (4239 posts) -
@Kjellm87 said:
" New Mario bros WII is a hateful, hateful multiplayer game "
Agreed.
#72 Posted by TheMaxMeister (78 posts) -

1. Get Wii Fit or something similar, where a lot of bouncing is involved.
2. Get her to play it naked.
3. Enjoy the most fun you can get out of the Wii.

#73 Posted by Marz (5646 posts) -

Tell her to take it back and get you another system :D

#74 Posted by captain_clayman (3319 posts) -

metroid 
mario galaxy
new smb
hmmm 
goldeneye if you're into bond 
no more heroes 
de blob is pretty fun 
mario kart 
kirby's epic yarn 
that's about all i can think of.

#75 Posted by Hailinel (23985 posts) -
@Mrskidders said:
" @owl_of_minerva: I'm not trying to be funny, nor am I trolling.  I love Nintendo, they defined my childhood and I am so excited for the 3DS.  The Wii is a horrible attempt at a next gen console.  Don't try and come across as educated and concise by using words like Alas and playing at being a big man, it doesn't work. "
No, you're trolling.  You might as well have said "Wii sux lolz."  It would have taken less energy and gotten the same insipid point across.
#76 Edited by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -
@SathingtonWaltz said:

" @WilliamRLBaker: I didn't say you couldn't say what you wanted. I'm just confused as to why you went out of your way to go on this thread and start talking shit, instead of politely answering my question. You are correct though, this should have been in the Wii forum. Why is it that every fat guy I've met with no hair and a beard is an asshole? "

Haha! You just made my night.  

But seriously, you can't go wrong with first party Nintendo games. Mario Galaxy (both of them), Metroid collection, No More Heroes 2, Red Steel 2, and Goldeneye would be some of my top picks. Goldeneye is surprisingly awesome. 
#77 Edited by TheMaxMeister (78 posts) -

I really don't understand why some people bash the Wii. Follow my three simple steps, and it'll be your favourite console.

#78 Edited by Sin4profit (2911 posts) -
#79 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

If you never owned a Gamecube, you may also want to take advantage of the Wii's backward compability. Of course, you'll need a GC controller and memory card though.

#80 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@jorbear said:
" @BiffMcBlumpkin: 
Santa is a creep. Celebrate Jesus instead. 
"
Who is a creep and who are we celebrating again? 
Are they like, comedians or actors?  Singers maybe? Have I heard about Santa or Jesus before?  

Or are they just as real as "Virgins" and Leprechauns? :o 
#81 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -
@Apathylad: Ah, forgot about that! What are some good Gamecube games?
#82 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@SathingtonWaltz said:
" @Apathylad: Ah, forgot about that! What are some good Gamecube games? "
The Resident Evil Remake!  
For the love of all that is supposed to be holy in that sci-fi book known as "The Bible", buy that remake! 
Wasn't there a Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Majoras Mask bundle-thingy for the gamecube, or did I just dream that once? .. 
#83 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -
@ZeForgotten: There was, Master Quest or something. But I'm pretty sure I can get those games on the Virtual Console...
#84 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -
@ZeForgotten:  Yeah, there's a bonus disc for one of the editions of Wind Waker including Ocarina of Time/Master Quest and a Zelda Collector's disc including Zelda 1, 2, OoT, MM that was a promotional item I think. It has to be ebayed and is kind of expensive.

@SathingtonWaltz: Viewtiful Joes, Eternal Darkness, Ikaruga, Timesplitters, Skies of Arcadia, Beyond Good and Evil, Star Wars, Burnout, F-Zero. First-party titles go without saying, althoug some of them have Wii-releases.
#85 Posted by Mrskidders (1330 posts) -
@Hailinel: Kid, that was hours ago, get with the times.  Peace has been made, you are just further derailing the thread.
#86 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -
@Mrskidders: Seriously.
#87 Posted by Mrskidders (1330 posts) -
@SathingtonWaltz: Oh and I forgot about A Boy And His Blob, that was pretty good too.
#88 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
#89 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -

@SathingtonWaltz said:

" @owl_of_minerva:  I agree with you, my research into good Wii games has shown this.   Has anyone played COD: Black Ops on the Wii? Is it good? "

1. I have not played it, how ever I played Call of Duty WAW on the Wii and Call of Duty Modern Warefare on the Wii.  I enjoyed myself playing those and Treyarch made them.

Anyways this list will be reflective of my tastes more than yours since I don't know your tastes. I'm also trying to be a little more selective as well.  Feel free to ask me on any other game.
  2. 1) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess- Still a pretty good game.  Not the best of Zelda games but it is still a fun experience to have. It has some sharpened mechanics to freshen things up.
  4. 2) Super Smash Bros. Brawl-  Frantic and crazy.  Pretty simple to play.  Very easy to get into.  There is also a lot of content in this game.  I think I have put about 200 hours into this game alone.  Another person should easily be able to put in 20 hours.

3) Metroid Prime Trilogy-  Since you already brought up black ops, I guess you wouldn't mind a "First-Person Adventure game."  You don't need to play this all in one sitting.  You can play for a week, stop, come back later and play some more.  That is how I have been playing this game.  This game is a collection of Metroid Prime, 2 and 3.  It has a lot of meat on it. 

4) Okami-  If you're tired of the Zelda aesthetic, this should do a fair job subsituiting. 

5) New Super Mario Bros. Wii-  I'm choosing this over the 3d marios for one reason, its better.  I never did like Super Mario Galaxy 1 and never got into Mario Galaxy 2.  The only 3d Mario I ever liked was Super Mario 64.  However, Nintendo's quality on 2D marios is solid.  It may not be as good as Super Mario Bros. 3, but still fun in its own right. Oh yeah, and multiplayer really changes the experience of the game.

6 & 7) No More Heroes 1 & 2-  Its a tad bit quirky, so you should consider researching before buying.  If you want more information on it, feel free to ask. 

8) Bully: Scholarship Edition-  I actually don't like GTA yet like this game.  It has a bit more charm to it.  There is nifty interesting world and experience to be had here so it might be worth checking it out.  I got pretty cheap a few years ago so I would imagine it became even cheaper. 

9) Call of Duty WAW or Modern Warefare or Black Ops-  I liked both the online and offline for these games.  Some people might tell you it is better on the PS3/Xbox360 but I could never figure out how to play an FPS with dual analog sticks.  With the exception of multiplayer experiences (No Online chat stuff), they are still rock solid games.  Although I haven't played Black OPs at all. Although black ops apparently allows you to use the microphone, however, you need to buy the "headbanger".

10) Dawn of Discovery- I don't know why I like this game.  It keeps me glued in and unaware of the time. It is an economics/civilization/RTS game.

#90 Posted by lazyturtle (1227 posts) -
@Mrskidders: I don't know...I'd like my wife to go out an buy some expensive underwear..:) 

As far as games go, Mario Galaxy 1&2 were fun and Metroid was ok. Mariokart is fun. I'm going to give DK Country a go too.
#91 Posted by A_Cute_Squirtle (680 posts) -

Check out some of the Wiiware games. World of Goo is pretty fun with the Wii controller. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.