So my fiancee is getting me a Wii for Christmas...
Metroid Prime Trilogy -- Incredibly beautiful, atmospheric first-person action adventure games.
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition -- The best version of what's still the best third-person shooter.
Super Mario Galaxy -- Gorgeous, imaginative platformer with tight controls.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 -- Another gorgeous, imaginative platformer with tight controls.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl -- Chaotic fighting game packed with content.
Mario Kart Wii -- A colourful racer that's great deal of fun, despite poor balancing.
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure -- Great-looking adventure game with some really good puzzles.
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess -- Huge, atmospheric action adventure with lots of exploration.
Muramasa: The Demon Blade -- The best-looking game ever made. Also, a pretty good beat 'em up.
Stay away from:
Red Steel -- Busted, ugly first-person shooter with god-awful controls.
No More Heroes -- You do three things in this game. 1: Drive around en empty, pointless open world on a motorbike that controls poorly. 2: Play shitty motion-controlled mini-games over and over to accumulate enough money to purchase the next story mission. 3: Hold down the lock-on button while mindlessly mashing A and occasionally waggling (that's how you beat the story missions).
de Blob -- A one-trick pony, and the trick gets old very fast.
Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Skies -- Boring bullet patterns. Boring graphics. Boring sound effects. Boring story. Boring game.
" @WilliamRLBaker: Somebody already beat you to the Wii hate. Go away. "No I don't feel like going away this is general discussion not the Wii forum so last I checked I can express my self however I want as long as I don't overly offend anyone.
" @owl_of_minerva: I've been doing some research, and there are a TON of great looking games for it."Uh huh. You keep telling yourself that.
I'll help you by telling your girlfriend to save the cash or invest it into a system that has a library of decent games beyond the 5 niche titles the Wii has.
" Can somebody give me a list of must haves for the Wii? It's the Black Wii with Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort, with the Wii Remote Plus. "Honestly, those Wii Sports games are already two of the best.
Super Mario Galaxy is amazing. I'd say that's a must-have.
" @owl_of_minerva: I'm not trying to be funny, nor am I trolling. I love Nintendo, they defined my childhood and I am so excited for the 3DS. The Wii is a horrible attempt at a next gen console. Don't try and come across as educated and concise by using words like Alas and playing at being a big man, it doesn't work. "No, you're trolling. You might as well have said "Wii sux lolz." It would have taken less energy and gotten the same insipid point across.
Haha! You just made my night.
" @WilliamRLBaker: I didn't say you couldn't say what you wanted. I'm just confused as to why you went out of your way to go on this thread and start talking shit, instead of politely answering my question. You are correct though, this should have been in the Wii forum. Why is it that every fat guy I've met with no hair and a beard is an asshole? "
But seriously, you can't go wrong with first party Nintendo games. Mario Galaxy (both of them), Metroid collection, No More Heroes 2, Red Steel 2, and Goldeneye would be some of my top picks. Goldeneye is surprisingly awesome.
The Trauma Center games are good..one of few games that could only be made on the Wii at the time.
then, Mario Galaxy and New Mario Bros Wii.
other then that i got nothin for ya.
 Oh yeah, Resident Evil 4's good on the wii as well if you haven't played it elsewhere yet.
" @Apathylad: Ah, forgot about that! What are some good Gamecube games? "The Resident Evil Remake!
For the love of all that is supposed to be holy in that sci-fi book known as "The Bible", buy that remake!
Wasn't there a Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Majoras Mask bundle-thingy for the gamecube, or did I just dream that once? ..
@SathingtonWaltz: Viewtiful Joes, Eternal Darkness, Ikaruga, Timesplitters, Skies of Arcadia, Beyond Good and Evil, Star Wars, Burnout, F-Zero. First-party titles go without saying, althoug some of them have Wii-releases.
" @owl_of_minerva: I agree with you, my research into good Wii games has shown this. Has anyone played COD: Black Ops on the Wii? Is it good? "
I have not played it, how ever I played Call of Duty WAW on the Wii and Call of Duty Modern Warefare on the Wii. I enjoyed myself playing those and Treyarch made them.
Anyways this list will be reflective of my tastes more than yours since I don't know your tastes. I'm also trying to be a little more selective as well. Feel free to ask me on any other game.
- 1) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess- Still a pretty good game. Not the best of Zelda games but it is still a fun experience to have. It has some sharpened mechanics to freshen things up.
- 2) Super Smash Bros. Brawl- Frantic and crazy. Pretty simple to play. Very easy to get into. There is also a lot of content in this game. I think I have put about 200 hours into this game alone. Another person should easily be able to put in 20 hours.
3) Metroid Prime Trilogy- Since you already brought up black ops, I guess you wouldn't mind a "First-Person Adventure game." You don't need to play this all in one sitting. You can play for a week, stop, come back later and play some more. That is how I have been playing this game. This game is a collection of Metroid Prime, 2 and 3. It has a lot of meat on it.
4) Okami- If you're tired of the Zelda aesthetic, this should do a fair job subsituiting.
5) New Super Mario Bros. Wii- I'm choosing this over the 3d marios for one reason, its better. I never did like Super Mario Galaxy 1 and never got into Mario Galaxy 2. The only 3d Mario I ever liked was Super Mario 64. However, Nintendo's quality on 2D marios is solid. It may not be as good as Super Mario Bros. 3, but still fun in its own right. Oh yeah, and multiplayer really changes the experience of the game.
6 & 7) No More Heroes 1 & 2- Its a tad bit quirky, so you should consider researching before buying. If you want more information on it, feel free to ask.
8) Bully: Scholarship Edition- I actually don't like GTA yet like this game. It has a bit more charm to it. There is nifty interesting world and experience to be had here so it might be worth checking it out. I got pretty cheap a few years ago so I would imagine it became even cheaper.
9) Call of Duty WAW or Modern Warefare or Black Ops- I liked both the online and offline for these games. Some people might tell you it is better on the PS3/Xbox360 but I could never figure out how to play an FPS with dual analog sticks. With the exception of multiplayer experiences (No Online chat stuff), they are still rock solid games. Although I haven't played Black OPs at all. Although black ops apparently allows you to use the microphone, however, you need to buy the "headbanger".
10) Dawn of Discovery- I don't know why I like this game. It keeps me glued in and unaware of the time. It is an economics/civilization/RTS game.
This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.
Comment and Save
Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.