Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

So where does the Wii stand right now?

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By damnboyadvance

In comparison to the Xbox 360 and PS3, that is. All three major systems now support some kind of motion controls, which means motion controls are no longer exclusive to the Wii. Does this put it any more behind the other systems?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

On the top.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " On the top. "
    This.  The Wii is still selling and it has a bigger library of games with motion control then Xbox and PS3.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Kinect and Move have not been out long enough, so far it's nothing THAT impressive (Xbox? Xboooox? XBOX? Xxxxxx-box?) and the games are shovelware to their core.

So far, Wii's still up there.
    But, I'm waiting to be surprised.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By nintendoeats

Technilogicly, the Wii is now trounced. But it has already made me hate motion controls, and it has already sold to millions of 40 year olds. So it wins 

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By rjayb89

It's at the bottom of your hardcore 1337 CoD, Halo, Battlefield, Pokemon-filled heart.

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By bigsmoke77

Where it was before, a console that has developers who dumb shitty games on it, and when a third party makes a good game nobody buys it, but if Nintendo makes the game (i.e a mario game or something) it sells like hot cakes for a couple days. People bought wii  for wii fit, they liked it for like a week and then realised hey i should just go to the gym or go for a jog. The wii has turned into the ultimate dust collector of North American homes.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Claude

Gamers have their keyboard/mouse dual analog controllers shoved so far up their ass that's it's going to take evolution to change how motion controls are viewed. The Wii stands high of course, but damn, look at the options of play on all consoles... outstanding, save for some bad software. Next year will be cool and bizarre as hell, should be fun.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By BrittonPeele

The thing about the Wii is that, Wii Motion Plus aside (unfortunately), the motion controls have been there from the beginning. So EVERY Wii owner has them. That's far from the case with the PS3 or 360, and even if Move and/or Kinect sell extremely well, it's nigh impossible that every gamer with those consoles will have the new accessory.

As such, Microsoft and Sony are potentially splitting their market. Now, that's not the worst thing in the world, but it means you won't see the biggest and best titles using motion control exclusively - doing so would alienate a large percentage of their potential audience. So while there may be some awesome games released for either motion control method, or some big games might have some cool, optional motion functionality, you're not going to get anything like the Wii market.

That will likely change next generation, as I think a lot of this motion stuff is here to stay (don't worry, I think buttons will stick around too), but as far as motion is concerned, the Wii has already won in terms of number and quality of games, even if their technology has already been bested.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MysteriousBob

The Wii still has the monopoly on shitty motion controlled shovelware.

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By HypoXenophobia
    @bigsmoke77: 
    Subjective -  a subject's perspective, particular feelings, beliefs, desires or discovery made from information pertaining to a personal experience
    Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kjellm87

Doin pretty good, I'm starting to want a new console however.
    It has enough games to be worth owning, specially from Nintendo themself.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Hourai

In terms of being a good console and having a lot of quality games, it's far behind the 360 and PS3. I really don't see the appeal of it. All my friends have sold their Wii, and my sister doesn't even touch hers anymore. The online is awful, the graphics are a generation behind, the motion controls stopped being exciting a year or two after it was released, and its library consists entirely of party games and their 20-30 year old franchises. Of course, it's selling like crazy because of its price and its appeal to children and grandparents. 

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By crusader8463

The only change will be that the metric crap ton of bad 3rd party games that the Wii gets will now get PS3 and 360 ports too, while all but the rarest of rare games, not the company Rare, not made by Nintendo will still suck.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iam3green

it's something that is currently collecting dust. some people might be playing their wiis while others are collecting dust. the games are just alright with some of them.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By KingBroly

There's Donkey Kong, then Skyward Sword and then...yeah...

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gunslingerNZ

Gradually losing its hold on the market but still in a pretty strong position. I have no idea what Nintendo can do next generation to be honest. I think they've thoroughly disappointed the core gaming audience to the point that they'll have a hard time attracting them back. Now the casual market's been tapped and the other two have a comparable product out they can't exactly go for a Wii 2.0 and I don't think they'll be able to compete with Sony & Microsoft if they tried to release a power hungry graphics machine.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kjellm87
    @KingBroly said:
    " There's Donkey Kong, then Skyward Sword and then...yeah... "
    Isn't it like that most of time though? Nintendo always is so dam good on keeping secrets, for good or worse.
    MushroomSamba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By MushroomSamba

Motion games: Wii > PS3 > 360 
    Tech: PS3 > 360 > Wii

Kinect is probably the most innovative, but it's glitchy and unresponsive as hell. It'll probably more impressive after we give it some time, but right now it's more of a hassle. From the very little I've played of the Move, it seems more accurate than the wiimote and probably the most functional as a video game controller.

Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Teaspoon83

They may be at the bottom of the totem pole technically but Nintendo has the majority of the market from both the casual and hardcore market because it is pretty damn cheap and it comes out of the box with motion control capabilities. Yes, it might be a lot of carnival games but who is to say the same types of games will hit Sony and Microsoft? 

Top it off, Sony and Microsoft will only split their player base so it makes it difficult for game developers to decide. If they develop for Nintendo, they know everybody who owns the console has the Wii Remote and more than likely the Nunchuk. If they develop for Sony or Microsoft, how many have the Move controllers or the Kinect?  

If in an alternative world, they were the last to release their Wii System, I would be very worried but as it stands right now, they have a large amount of money and their next system can benefit from what Sony and Microsoft have developed. Probably will see the next system work a lot like Sony Move.

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bigsmoke77
    @HypoXenophobia: 

- Have you have seen the wall of wii games at gamestop, there is SO much shit
    -Super Mario Bros sold like 10 million or something but the Dead Space wii game sold like thousands of units and it was a good game, and there is plenty of other good wii games that didn't sell like Mad World
    -I know 4 guy friends and a couple family who bought the wii because their GF or wife wanted wii fit, they played and then never did agian, its a personal experience that is basied on many people.
     - All fourm posts are subjective, what do you want us to do, research and clearly present our points with stats and deep thoughts 

GET OVER YOUR SELF
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @Kjellm87 said:
    " @KingBroly said:
    Isn't it like that most of time though? Nintendo always is so dam good on keeping secrets, for good or worse. "
    What secrets? They've been rehashing the same shit for years now. I could be wrong, but I don't believe they've made a single original IP this gen. Its pathetic. 
    bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bigsmoke77
    @MushroomSamba:  Have you played KInect or are you basing your judgement on jeffs experiences during the liveshow/quicklooks
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @bigsmoke77 said:
    " @MushroomSamba:  Have you played KInect or are you basing your judgement on jeffs experiences during the liveshow/quicklooks "
    If it was the latter then I would say it works very well for such an ambitious piece of tech. Most of the problems were from the poorly designed games, not the hardware.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @damnboyadvance: on a shelf in my basement. Might take it out for that goldeneye....
    Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kjellm87
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " @Kjellm87 said:
    " @KingBroly said:
    Isn't it like that most of time though? Nintendo always is so dam good on keeping secrets, for good or worse. "
    What secrets? They've been rehashing the same shit for years now. I could be wrong, but I don't believe they've made a single original IP this gen. Its pathetic. 
    "
    They' have but will never be as popular as Mario, also E3 has some nice suprises for those who likes those games.
    HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HypoXenophobia
    @bigsmoke77 said:
    " @HypoXenophobia:   - Have you have seen the wall of wii games at gamestop, there is SO much shit -Super Mario Bros sold like 10 million or something but the Dead Space wii game sold like thousands of units and it was a good game, and there is plenty of other good wii games that didn't sell like Mad World -I know 4 guy friends and a couple family who bought the wii because their GF or wife wanted wii fit, they played and then never did agian, its a personal experience that is basied on many people.  - All fourm posts are subjective, what do you want us to do, research and clearly present our points with stats and deep thoughts   GET OVER YOUR SELF "
    The wall of Wii games is generally from third parties trying to make a cash grab. No different then looking at the iPhone App Store. Filled with a bunch of ridiculous apps/games that no one will probably buy but hey, free market? Mad World and Dead Space didn't sell on the Wii because it was trying to create a market on the Wii that didn't exist. 

If you want to get your girlfriend to play a game with you, play a game thats actually enjoyable. When Gears 1 came out, I played it with my gf at the time as our first date, you don't need to simplify your play experience to hang out with a girl.

The Wii offers a good experience if you're interested in what it's offering. Just because you don't like the games doesn't mean it's bad system. I don't like Halo, but I love Project Gotham. If you don't like Ninjabread Man for the Wii, Kirby's Epic Yarn is still there. 

All forum posts are subjective sure,  but just cause you feel it's the "ultimate dust collector" doesn't make it true. Your friend paid 250 for a wii and 100 for Wii Fit, that was the experience they were looking for. If they wanted video games, they could have bought two videos games for the price of Wii Fit, but they chose not too. Don't blame Nintendo, blame your whipped friends.
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By KingBroly
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " @Kjellm87 said:
    " @KingBroly said:
    "
    Miis are their new IP.  Where have you been?
    Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By shivermetimbers

Gonna get flammed for this *sighs*... The Wii has yet to have a game where one could be emotionally invested in. There are a lot of cutsy games, but there isn't a game on the system where I would think about after I finished it. There aren't any games where I care about characters and the outcomes of my actions.

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By FlyingRat

I think the Wii is still on top, sales wise. Though i'm not sure, so don't quote me on that. It's so hard to judge the Wii, as it feels almost like a completely different category from the other two. It just doesn't feel like Nintendo is going after the same market as Sony and Microsoft, so it's hard to say where they stand from my point of view. I don't think they care about me so much as they care about money and they seemed to have found other people who will give them loads more money. And now Sony and Microsoft are following in Nintendo's footsteps. Cause you know... They like money too. But me personally and i think a lot of... shall we call them "mainstream" video game players, don't care at all about all the motion control stuff. And the companies aren't really going after that audience either looking at the games they put out. But on the other hand, i feel like the other two companies still scratch that, let's say, "actual video games" itch. And the Wii not so much i think. So i'd say, sales wise they're doing great. Satisfying actual "gamers", maybe not so much.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By damnboyadvance
    @shivermetimbers said:
    "

Gonna get flammed for this *sighs*... The Wii has yet to have a game where one could be emotionally invested in. There are a lot of cutsy games, but there isn't a game on the system where I would think about after I finished it. There aren't any games where I care about characters and the outcomes of my actions.

"
    This gentlemen makes a good point. There aren't many games on the Wii where you are really involved with, or really care about, what is going on. That really sets the Wii apart from the other two systems, when you think about it.
    BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By BrittonPeele
    @HypoXenophobia said:
    If you want to get your girlfriend to play a game with you, play a game thats actually enjoyable. When Gears 1 came out, I played it with my gf at the time as our first date, you don't need to simplify your play experience to hang out with a girl.
    That's not true for all girls, though. My fiancee would NEVER play Gears of War, but we've been playing Kirby's Epic Yarn together and having a blast with it. Previously, we played through Zack & Wiki, Guilty Party and other Wii games. She sometimes enjoys watching me play more hardcore games (she liked the buildings and scenery of Assassin's Creed II), but she'll never play them herself.
    MsbS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MsbS

Let me tell you a story of my Wii gaming. I got my Wii soon after the (European) launch. Something like January 2007, probably. For a couple of months, me & my wife would spend at least one night almost every weekend with two of our friends mostly on the wii. We would have some food, drink some wine and play. 
    We spent countless hours bowling (Wii Sports), we spent two nights (until sth like 4 AM) beating the Raving Rabbids. Then, we'd have a whole lot of fun with Wario Ware. Then, for the past 2 years, nothing - we moved on to other activities. Yes, we did spend some time with Wii Fit (and then Wii Fit Plus when I got it), we tried out all the games from Wii Sports Resort, but it was nothing like the 2007 fun.
    Fast Forward to the last weekend. The friend with whom I used to play wii payed me a visit. I showed him Boom Blox Bash Party (that has been lying in my shelf untouched for a while). He would frown on the graphics (non-HD projected to a 100" screen), he would call it a kids game, but we would spend several hours getting golden medals on stage after stage after stage. My other wiimote broke, so we would just alternate - I beat a stage, then you do.

I tell you - there is still life in this white box, and a whole lot of solid gameplay too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.