Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

So who the hell..

GrahfZilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 4

Edited By GrahfZilla

pays 25$ for Wii points on eBay when you can get them for 20$ in every store? Heck, go on amazon.ca, or bestbuy.ca, or futureshop.ca, buy two 2000 points wii cards for 19.99 and BAM, free shipping! It's even cheaper than buying them on the Wii itself, since, in a move that I would classify as being very dumb, they sell the points in US dollars on there to canadian customers. The hell is that about? My console is set to Canada, and I'm being sold stuff in US dollars? That ain't right. And even worse than that, I'm still paying the same amount of taxes as if I was buying locally! So US dollars + same taxes equals LAME. Now granted, the canadian dollar is so strong right now, but it basically costs me one more dollar for every 1000 points I buy. That's the equivalent of a free NES game after 4000 points. 

So yeah, I have a Wii now. Sort of. It's not my Wii, it belongs to my friend, but he never plays it and couldn't care less about it until the next Zelda comes out so it's almost like if it was  mine. The first day I got it I bought New Super Mario Bros Wii for it, plus Trauma Center: Second Opinion. I also bought an ethernet adapter to go on the internet with it, since I don't have a wireless router. And since then I've bought a bunch of Virtual Console games, namely Blaster Master, Ghosts N' Goblins, Super Mario Bros 1 and 3 for the NES, plus the original WiiWare title 'Castlevania Rebirth'. And I'm not done, oh no, I bought a classic controller + a 2000 points card on amazon.ca, and with that I'll most likely buy Super Mario 64 and maybe Super Mario World, but I haven't decided on that last one since I already have the game on the Super NES. However I also have SMB1 and 3 on the NES and I still bought them, but they were only 5$. I figured it would save me the hassle of having to chug two consoles with me, and the same argument holds for the 8$ SMW.  As for Super Mario 64, I just want to give it a second go. When I first played the game back then It was released, I was just starting my rebellious teenage years and I had a hard time getting into the kid-like atmosphere of the game. In fact, I hated that game for a loooong time. I figured that now that I am a grown and mature man, it's time to go back and see what that game is all about.  I also have the version of the game on my DS (although I didn't pay for it, erm...), and it's supposedly somewhat improved with the inclusion of four characters instead of only Mario, however I'd still rather play the original on my big TV. Maybe I'll regret that decision once the DSi XL becomes available in North America in a few months. BTW, speaking of that thing, when the heck are we going to get an official date for its North American release? Japan already has the console, Europe is going to get it on March 10th, but what about us!?! Lame :( 

I'm also thinking of eventually getting a Link to the Past on the Wii virtual console, even though I already have it on the Snes, just like most games I bought on VC so far. The reason for that is that it would just look better on the Wii than on the Snes. The Wii plays every VC game at its native resolution and in 480p, if you have the component cables of course, while the Snes of course runs at its own lower resolution. And it would allow me to box my Snes for good. Sad, I know.

So what do I think of the Wii? Well, I think it's superb as a collection of retro games. Virtual console is awesome, even though the emulation isn't always as good as on the free, but illegal, emulators on the PC. However, playing the games on a big TV in 480p is sweet, and I really like the user interface with all the small TV's. I think it's a better interface than on the Xbox 360 with its endless menus. Here, you get your little TV's on the front page, you place your virtual and wiiware titles on there and it's awesome to look at. Very visually appealing, and it really gives you a good sense of your collection, unlike the 360 where even if you have 35 Xbox Live Arcade games you won't know until you go digging in the menus. However we have to remember that the Xbox 360 is an entertainment hub, and not only a game console, so it would be kind of hard to make an interface as simple as the one on the Wii. But personally I don't give a shit about all of that entertainment stuff, I have a game console to game on it. Going back to the Wii now, the WiiWare service is interesting, it has cool remakes of retro games, as well as a lot of adventure game releases such as the Sam & Max Series, or the new Monkey Island series. So in that sense it's a sweet console.

However, as far as retail games go, it's a disaster. There's very few excellent titles out there to choose from, and a lot of them are of the dumb party format. If I'm looking at Wii only releases that actually interest me, there's Super Mario Galaxy, Punch-out,  maybe Super Paper Mario,  Metroid Prime 3, and then what? Okami looks great, but it's a PS2 game. I'm still interested though. I don't like Super Smash Bros, I've been burned out on Mario Kart for years, I played RE4 and Twilight Princess on the gamecube, No More Heroes doesn't appeal to me and I already have New Super Mario Bros. I like the Trauma Center games, but I don't love them, so I don't know if I'll be getting the other games in the series. I'll probably get Silent Hill: Shattered Memories though, and I could investigate Little King's story and Zack & Wiki, however I don't know if they're really my type.  That's pretty much it. Not a lot of content on there. I didn't pay for the console though so I can't complain I guess.

So what am I playing now? Well I'm getting back into Bioshock, since I stopped playing it in early January. I like the game, but I'm not amazed by it so far. I didn't really like System Shock 2, and now Bioshock seems to follow in that same vein. Oh well, I'll see what happens down the road!

GrahfZilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By GrahfZilla

pays 25$ for Wii points on eBay when you can get them for 20$ in every store? Heck, go on amazon.ca, or bestbuy.ca, or futureshop.ca, buy two 2000 points wii cards for 19.99 and BAM, free shipping! It's even cheaper than buying them on the Wii itself, since, in a move that I would classify as being very dumb, they sell the points in US dollars on there to canadian customers. The hell is that about? My console is set to Canada, and I'm being sold stuff in US dollars? That ain't right. And even worse than that, I'm still paying the same amount of taxes as if I was buying locally! So US dollars + same taxes equals LAME. Now granted, the canadian dollar is so strong right now, but it basically costs me one more dollar for every 1000 points I buy. That's the equivalent of a free NES game after 4000 points. 

So yeah, I have a Wii now. Sort of. It's not my Wii, it belongs to my friend, but he never plays it and couldn't care less about it until the next Zelda comes out so it's almost like if it was  mine. The first day I got it I bought New Super Mario Bros Wii for it, plus Trauma Center: Second Opinion. I also bought an ethernet adapter to go on the internet with it, since I don't have a wireless router. And since then I've bought a bunch of Virtual Console games, namely Blaster Master, Ghosts N' Goblins, Super Mario Bros 1 and 3 for the NES, plus the original WiiWare title 'Castlevania Rebirth'. And I'm not done, oh no, I bought a classic controller + a 2000 points card on amazon.ca, and with that I'll most likely buy Super Mario 64 and maybe Super Mario World, but I haven't decided on that last one since I already have the game on the Super NES. However I also have SMB1 and 3 on the NES and I still bought them, but they were only 5$. I figured it would save me the hassle of having to chug two consoles with me, and the same argument holds for the 8$ SMW.  As for Super Mario 64, I just want to give it a second go. When I first played the game back then It was released, I was just starting my rebellious teenage years and I had a hard time getting into the kid-like atmosphere of the game. In fact, I hated that game for a loooong time. I figured that now that I am a grown and mature man, it's time to go back and see what that game is all about.  I also have the version of the game on my DS (although I didn't pay for it, erm...), and it's supposedly somewhat improved with the inclusion of four characters instead of only Mario, however I'd still rather play the original on my big TV. Maybe I'll regret that decision once the DSi XL becomes available in North America in a few months. BTW, speaking of that thing, when the heck are we going to get an official date for its North American release? Japan already has the console, Europe is going to get it on March 10th, but what about us!?! Lame :( 

I'm also thinking of eventually getting a Link to the Past on the Wii virtual console, even though I already have it on the Snes, just like most games I bought on VC so far. The reason for that is that it would just look better on the Wii than on the Snes. The Wii plays every VC game at its native resolution and in 480p, if you have the component cables of course, while the Snes of course runs at its own lower resolution. And it would allow me to box my Snes for good. Sad, I know.

So what do I think of the Wii? Well, I think it's superb as a collection of retro games. Virtual console is awesome, even though the emulation isn't always as good as on the free, but illegal, emulators on the PC. However, playing the games on a big TV in 480p is sweet, and I really like the user interface with all the small TV's. I think it's a better interface than on the Xbox 360 with its endless menus. Here, you get your little TV's on the front page, you place your virtual and wiiware titles on there and it's awesome to look at. Very visually appealing, and it really gives you a good sense of your collection, unlike the 360 where even if you have 35 Xbox Live Arcade games you won't know until you go digging in the menus. However we have to remember that the Xbox 360 is an entertainment hub, and not only a game console, so it would be kind of hard to make an interface as simple as the one on the Wii. But personally I don't give a shit about all of that entertainment stuff, I have a game console to game on it. Going back to the Wii now, the WiiWare service is interesting, it has cool remakes of retro games, as well as a lot of adventure game releases such as the Sam & Max Series, or the new Monkey Island series. So in that sense it's a sweet console.

However, as far as retail games go, it's a disaster. There's very few excellent titles out there to choose from, and a lot of them are of the dumb party format. If I'm looking at Wii only releases that actually interest me, there's Super Mario Galaxy, Punch-out,  maybe Super Paper Mario,  Metroid Prime 3, and then what? Okami looks great, but it's a PS2 game. I'm still interested though. I don't like Super Smash Bros, I've been burned out on Mario Kart for years, I played RE4 and Twilight Princess on the gamecube, No More Heroes doesn't appeal to me and I already have New Super Mario Bros. I like the Trauma Center games, but I don't love them, so I don't know if I'll be getting the other games in the series. I'll probably get Silent Hill: Shattered Memories though, and I could investigate Little King's story and Zack & Wiki, however I don't know if they're really my type.  That's pretty much it. Not a lot of content on there. I didn't pay for the console though so I can't complain I guess.

So what am I playing now? Well I'm getting back into Bioshock, since I stopped playing it in early January. I like the game, but I'm not amazed by it so far. I didn't really like System Shock 2, and now Bioshock seems to follow in that same vein. Oh well, I'll see what happens down the road!

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

You'll find that going down the road of "trying some Wii games even though you're not sure they're really your type" will very quickly make that list of retail games worth your time significantly longer. 

You should try DS:E and DeBlob.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By oldschool

If you like TBS as in a SRPG, then you should really consider Fire Emblem - my favourite series and game on the Wii.  If you like on-rails (light gun style) shooters, then House of Dead: Overkill (hilarious) and Dead Space Extraction are worth a look.  Don't discount the possibility of Battalion Wars 2 as well as a fun shooter.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Meowayne

Extraction is worth a look even if you are 100% sure you hate rails shooter from the bottom of your heart.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
    @Meowayne said:
    " Extraction is worth a look even if you are 100% sure you hate rails shooter from the bottom of your heart. "
    You feel about DS:E the way I feel about HoD:O    ^_^ 
    DS:E is very nice though and a worthy addition to my collection - thanks to a price cut from $100 to $20.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Meowayne

Yeah, generally I just cannot picture that person, you know, the guy who plays an arcade shooter and DOESN'T have fun. 

I totally understand where the "lol when i herd onrails i lost all interest" people come from, but... I mean how can you play OVERKILL, especially with the hand cannons, and not have a great time? I don't know.

GrahfZilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GrahfZilla

Well I have Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, and I really don't like it much. And I'm a big Resident Evil fan who has played through every RE out there. I played it with a friend for about an hour and a half and we found it to be mindless and kinda boring. So I'm sort of expecting more of the same out of House of the Dead and Dead Space Extraction, unless they're just hands down better than Umbrella Chronicles. As for Fire Emblem, I don't know. I played Path of Radiance on the gamecube, and although I liked it at first I grew tired of it after a while. It's possible though that I just wasn't in the mood for it, that sometimes happens to me. I'll probably give Fire Emblem another go on the DS, and if I like it a lot then I'll take a look at the one on the Wii, and maybe revisit Path of Radiance while I'm at it.

If by DeBlob you mean a boy and his blob, yeah I'm sort of interested in that but once again, not sure. It's a puzzle game, they're usually not really my type, I bought Braid on Xbox Live Arcade and I just can't get into it. I might get the original on VC, and if I like it I'll take a look at the Wii version.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By Icemael
    @GrahfZilla said:
    "If by DeBlob you mean a boy and his blob, yeah I'm sort of interested in that but once again, not sure. It's a puzzle game, they're usually not really my type, I bought Braid on Xbox Live Arcade and I just can't get into it. I might get the original on VC, and if I like it I'll take a look at the Wii version. "
    They mean de Blob as in de Blob.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By End_Boss

Meowayne, oldschool, we need to have a sit-down. This avatar thing is just unfair. =P

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By ThomasP
    @End_Boss said:
    " Meowayne, oldschool, we need to have a sit-down. This avatar thing is just unfair. =P "
    I could not agree more, but I am curios to know what you guys were wrong about?
    sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By sopranosfan
    @ThomasP said:
    " @End_Boss said:
    " Meowayne, oldschool, we need to have a sit-down. This avatar thing is just unfair. =P "
    I could not agree more, but I am curios to know what you guys were wrong about? "
    There was a bet made last year about which would sell more MW2 or Super Mario Bros Wii.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By End_Boss
    @sopranosfan: Oh. Well then at least it's not a forever kind of thing... I assume.
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By ThomasP
    @sopranosfan said:
    " @ThomasP said:
    " @End_Boss said:
    I could not agree more, but I am curios to know what you guys were wrong about? "
    There was a bet made last year about which would sell more MW2 or Super Mario Bros Wii. "
    I lost the bet, as well. For some reason I thought it did outsell MW 2. However, we can't have another "I Was Wrong" avatar around here. It's hurting my brain.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oldschool
    @End_Boss said:
    " @sopranosfan: Oh. Well then at least it's not a forever kind of thing... I assume. "
    It does look wrong (no pun intended) to have the same avatar.  We recognise many by an avatar and now we are all "generic".  But I could be wrong, just look at my avatar  :-) 
    Changes back in a couple of weeks.
    tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By tariqari

Ok, this is a genuine question.  Who the hell buys Wiipoints from anyone other than Nintendo in the first place??  If you buy them from the store don't they charge taxes for it?  Last I checked the Wiipoints I purchase right on the Wiishop have 0 taxes and are about the quickest way of acquiring Wiipoints available to mankind.

O__ -

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Dalai
    @tariqari said:

" Ok, this is a genuine question.  Who the hell buys Wiipoints from anyone other than Nintendo in the first place??  If you buy them from the store don't they charge taxes for it?  Last I checked the Wiipoints I purchase right on the Wiishop have 0 taxes and are about the quickest way of acquiring Wiipoints available to mankind.  O__ - "

They still tack on state sales taxes unless Nintendo is adding 6% to the cost of my Wii points for no reason.
    tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By tariqari
    @Dalai said:
    " @tariqari said:

" Ok, this is a genuine question.  Who the hell buys Wiipoints from anyone other than Nintendo in the first place??  If you buy them from the store don't they charge taxes for it?  Last I checked the Wiipoints I purchase right on the Wiishop have 0 taxes and are about the quickest way of acquiring Wiipoints available to mankind.  O__ - "

They still tack on state sales taxes unless Nintendo is adding 6% to the cost of my Wii points for no reason. "
    Very strange.  I have actually never paid any additional fee for Wiipoints.  Maybe it's certain states?
    GrahfZilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GrahfZilla
    @tariqari: I don't know know about the US, but here in Quebec when I buy the points on the actual Wii, not only do they charge me the full amount of taxes I'd pay at the store (12.8% to be exact), but I have to pay the points in US dollars. At $20 US for 2000 points, versus 20$ CDN for the points I buy at the store, it's easy to see that it is highly advantageous to buy them locally in card format. What I do is that I buy two cards at a time on amazon.ca, which gives me free shipping. Almost like buying the points on the console, except I have to wait 2-3 days to get them :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.