Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Sony's Peter Dille On Wii's Motion Contrrol

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

A representative of Sony has passed on his thoughts concerning Nintendo Wii's motion controls...

[With Move] we’ve spent a lot of time on that over the last couple of weeks and the biggest differentiator is the technology itself - the Wii has been wildly successful but at the end of the day it’s not a very precise experience and it relies on the wand. ...Hard-core gamers have looked down their nose at motion gaming: it’s not particularly satisfying for them because it’s not terribly precise or challenging, it’s more social. So we’ll have games that the whole family can play that are very social, but we’ll also be able to do hard-core gamer games via a motion device that has never been done before.  

- Sony's Peter Dille

Full Interview: http://www.vg247.com/2010/04/02/the-core-have-looked-down-their-nose-at-motion-gaming-says-dille/

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Reuben

It makes sense, I'm still not going to buy it though lol

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By iamjohn

Who gives a fuck. 

PR representative sells their product.  News at 11.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By animateria

I think Sony is forgetting that the Wii in it's entirety was represented as a social and family friendly platform.

The PS3 was never marketed in the same way, and still isn't selling itself in such manner.

I think the motion controls aspect of the Wii has lost it's hype, and I don't think the general public is interested in buying another motion device anymore.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Andorski

SCE mission statement: "We're going to do everything."

Great ad slogan; badly unfocused business plan.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By apathylad

No Caption Provided
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Linkyshinks

Haha, did Jack Tretton really say that?  

Sony reps never fail to amuse.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By veektarius

Motion controls don't appeal to most hardcore gamers because 90% of the coolest things you can do in video games aren't things you can reasonably recreate using just your hands.  Not to give too much credit to Natal - at least 50% are beyond the abilities of the average gamer to simulate even using their entire bodies.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By jonnyboy

Hardware doesn't impress me, how the software incorporates it impresses me. The reason I never touch my Wii isn't because I don't like motion controls, it's because I didn't grow up with Nintendo and have no nostalgic investment in their franchises. Although the PS Move is far more capable technologically, it's what games it exploits it in that will make me decide, not what it looks like.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By oldschool

I am the most anti-social gamer I know, but I love the Wiimote and the games that have come along.  I am not however, spending hundreds of dollars more just to get more motion controls.  Maybe in PS4 when it is standard, straight out of the box, but Sony rarely make games I care about.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrKlorox

Regardless of precision, I don't think most hardcores will be willing to accept motion controls until the physical (handheld) device has the inputs and layout of current controllers, except freed up for each hand to aim or gesture independently. (I for one certainly don't want to play shooters where I have to move my cursor to the edge of the screen to change the camera's view.)

However I will be interested in trying out both the Move and Natal.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By oldschool
    @MrKlorox said:
    " Regardless of precision, I don't think most hardcores will be willing to accept motion controls until the physical (handheld) device has the inputs and layout of current controllers, except freed up for each hand to aim or gesture independently. (I for one certainly don't want to play shooters where I have to move my cursor to the edge of the screen to change the camera's view.) However I will be interested in trying out both the Move and Natal. "
    Perhaps they are over estimating the desire of the traditional market for this.  It could be their undoing as it would require a 180 degree turn for most of the complainers of the Wii.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By demontium

Aww.... words.... where is the video... 

Ok I will read lol.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Willy105

Incredible.

They bash Nintendo's controller and says their controller does the same thing in one paragraph.

But whatever. Hopefully Sony will take their own products (especially this controller) seriously.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.