Super Mario Bros 4 is announced (not really), whats the reaction?

#1 Posted by Dany (7886 posts) -

I felt I have heard them talk about this on the bombcast and it is an interesting theory. 

If Super Mario Bros 4 is announced either for the wii or a launch title for the next nintendo platform or any other, what is the reaction of the entire gaming community? 

Would it become the highest selling game ever, would people rush out to get it? Would you be excited even though you do not have a wii or played a proper "mario" game in awhile?

#2 Edited by MonetaryDread (1955 posts) -

My reaction would be apathy. We have had two side-scrolling 2d Mario games in the past five years. That said, I would make sure I played it, and I am sure it would sell marginally better than NSMB Wii.

#3 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

People would expect it to be the best Mario game ever, and most everyone would expect it to contain every single thing they ever loved about a Mario game.

Sales are another matter but it'd sell like recent Mario games have, give or take.  I'd be interested but skeptical like I am for every Mario game that comes out.  I'd be more excited if it was 2D like NSMBW, unless they absolutely blew it out of the park in 3D (that is, made Super Mario Galaxy 2 look like they weren't even trying).

#4 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4480 posts) -

Erm...
New Super Mario Bros. was basically this.

#5 Posted by Jolt92 (1529 posts) -

I'd cum.

#6 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

That would be New Mario bros 2, New Mario Wii was fun but there could've been even more effort put into it, so I wouldn't mind a sequel.

#7 Posted by YoctoYotta (541 posts) -

I would expect more of a direct evolution of Super Mario World, which itself is evidence enough that a SMB with the number '4' on it will almost certainly never happen. They had alread y abandoned that idea in the early 90s. That said, I would kill for another side-scrolling Mario that is more in the vein of SMW, with the multiple exits through levels and flying ability akin to the cape, if not better.

#8 Posted by McGhee (6091 posts) -

If Super Mario Bros 4 was on a new system, a new HD system with a hard drive and a normal-ass controller, then I would actually begin caring about Nintendo again.

#9 Posted by Gamer_152 (13975 posts) -

I'd be a little surprised that they dumped the 'New Super Mario Bros.' name to make just another 'Super Mario Bros.' but I'd be somewhat expectant to see what the game is like.

#10 Posted by guthwulf (251 posts) -

I'd love to see another NSMBW. That game was so fucking awesome.

#11 Posted by Eristocrat (439 posts) -

Confused. What makes it SMB 4 instead of NSMBW 2 or SMW 3?  Is it be 8 bit or what?  I'd be happy to play it regardless.

#12 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Mario doesn't need to do some desperate nascon throwback. Mario games are never shitty. 
PS I'd rather have a directo followup to Mario 2, with the giant eagle heads and such.

#13 Posted by csl316 (7364 posts) -
@MonetaryDread said:
" My reaction would be apathy. We have had two side-scrolling 2d Mario games in the past five years. That said, I would make sure I played it, and I am sure it would sell marginally better than NSMB Wii. "
#14 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -

NSMB was basically Mario 4. 
Unlike Sonic, Mario has been in consistently good games, both 2D and 3D.  I don't think tacking a number onto the end would build excitement in the same way as it did with Sonic, when the typical reaction was "Oh my god, Sonic is going to be good again?"

#15 Posted by krystians (400 posts) -

All I have to say it keep em coming!

#16 Posted by damswedon (3168 posts) -

Okay. 
Never saw or played a Nintendo game or product until the Gameboy advance and even then I didn't play one of Nintendo's own games. I just have no feelings for the Nintendo characters. 
Now if this was a new Lost Vikings game I'd be effin happy.

#17 Posted by GlenTennis (3143 posts) -
@YoctoYotta said:
" I would expect more of a direct evolution of Super Mario World, which itself is evidence enough that a SMB with the number '4' on it will almost certainly never happen. They had alread y abandoned that idea in the early 90s. That said, I would kill for another side-scrolling Mario that is more in the vein of SMW, with the multiple exits through levels and flying ability akin to the cape, if not better. "
You have no idea how happy this would make me.
#18 Posted by Gaff (1493 posts) -

I would be curious.

Partly because there's still a part of me that loves the classic Mario games.

Partly because I want to see that part of me die if they decide to call it New Super Mario Brothers Wii 2, or worse: New Super Mario Brothers WII.

#19 Posted by synt4x (160 posts) -

It could be awesome if it used real 2D sprites with a retro feel to it in glorious HD on their next console!

#20 Posted by RobotHamster (4156 posts) -

I'd need a new pair of pants,

#21 Posted by taylor109 (43 posts) -

Already happened.
#22 Posted by gamb1t (964 posts) -

"im getten a divorce, peach can die for all i care"

#23 Edited by supermike6 (3523 posts) -
#24 Posted by Palaeomerus (344 posts) -

I'd much rather have a new proper Paper Mario rpg (instead of the platformer hybrid we got with SPM). On the Wii I mean. I realize that "Bowser's Inside Story" kind of already covered that direction on the DS.

#25 Posted by Rawrz (587 posts) -

Id ask what about it makes it 4 and why wasnt all the other 2d mario games since 3 not technically 4.

#26 Posted by Synthballs (2193 posts) -

I'd laugh at Nintendo for stooping as low as to imitate Sega.

#27 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

New Super Mario Brothers Wii was Mario 4. At least that's what it should have been called.

#28 Posted by Palaeomerus (344 posts) -

I think it was closer to being a "Super Mario World" entry. Unofficiailly it's kind of SMW3.ported over Wii from the DS

#29 Posted by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -

I would hope Nintendo has more dignity with Mario than to pull what Sega did with Sonic the Hedgehog.

#30 Posted by Vonocourt (2107 posts) -
@Palaeomerus said:
" I think it was closer to being a "Super Mario World" entry. Unofficiailly it's kind of SMW3.ported over Wii from the DS "
It's a different game though than the one on DS.
#31 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@Dany:
Well, new super mario bros wii already covered that..... soo..... 

I mean, if it was on the 3DS, and it included a level creator, and sharer..... that would be pretty fun.
#32 Posted by AuthenticM (3672 posts) -

The Internet would implode. 

So would my ass.

#33 Edited by lazyturtle (1227 posts) -

Meh. I'd rent it from gamefly, but I'd doubt I'd buy.

#34 Posted by FreakAche (2938 posts) -

It's called Super Mario World.

#35 Posted by MisterMouse (3531 posts) -

it honestly depends what they do with it, whether or not it can be a good seller.

#36 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

My reaction would be to smack them around the head for trying to pretend that Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 (two of the best games of all time by most accounts) aren't part of the main series. Its absurd.

Nintendo does not get a free ride on innovation just because they know how to add. Especially considering they already made New Super Mario Bros...twice...

#37 Posted by carlthenimrod (1579 posts) -

If it was episodic like Sonic 4 I would laugh and think it is hilarious.

#38 Posted by SquallLeonhart (28 posts) -

I'm not sure where some of you were in 1990 but Super Mario World is Super Mario Bros 4, Look at the Japanese Box Art for the game. 

#39 Posted by SoftCoreDave (145 posts) -

Game naming conventions are super awesome. I'd play it, me and Mario are tight like that.

#40 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

I'd definitely be curious.

#41 Posted by DANW547 (50 posts) -

My initial response would result in the loss of bowel control... then 3 minutes later when I read the article properly "Super Mario Brothers 4: Episode 1", I'd take the remnants and start flinging them at the screen.

#42 Posted by nindoten (44 posts) -
@taylor109 said:
"

Already happened.

"

this.
#43 Posted by mrplow8 (3 posts) -

Super Mario World WAS Super Mario Bros. 4. It was called Super Mario Bros. 4 in Japan.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.