Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom Scans

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Robocop111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Robocop111

you posted that in your last forum, you are under arrest, dead or alive, your coming with me.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By SSbabel

Those videos dont loook at all like its being played on the Wii, Graphically looks way too good.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Emilio
    SSbabel said:
    "Those videos dont loook at all like its being played on the Wii, Graphically looks way too good."
    We'll just have to wait and see.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

The arcade board was based on the Wii hardware, there shouldn't be any differences between the version really. I guess people are starting to realise that while the Wii isn't as powerful as the other systems it can still offer visually beautiful games. Unless this somehow starts being "ugly" once fanboys start saying how much they prefer SF4 etc...

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

The arcade version is said to run on 480p also, this should look identical really. Most Wii games have AA I think, the jagged edges are due to being played on larger screens which basicaly stretches the image making them more evident. Try playing some very early PS2 games to see what games look like when AA is really not present, it isn't pretty. The lack of AA was one of the reasons the Dreamcast had far more visualy beautiful games in the beginning, until developers learned to use it on the PS2 (I think the DC's GPU handled AA automaticaly, while games had to be programed to do so for the PS2).

There's nothing that defines the performance of cel shaded versus non cel shaded. Mario Galaxy is cartoony but without cel shading and looks fantastic on the Wii. Jet Set Radio on the Dreamcast looked fantastic also, but the visuals on the Xbox sequel are arguably far better, at least on the technical side (I tend to prefer the overall aesthetic result of the original) and it wouldn't be possible on the Dreamcast even though it's cel shaded. Even Unreal Tournament 3 could be cel shaded and it wouldn't make it possible to run on the Wii.

It's just people think it's easier to make low end visuals look better via cel shading, which I think isn't true. It still takes a lot of skill and artistic expertise to get a good result, cel shading might just be a crude black outline over sub par, flat, with few colors models, or an incredible visual experience as seen in Wind Waker where everything is of consistent style (and there's a LOT of that, style) and quality. Shadow of the Colossus on the PS2 on the other hand is also incredible without the use of cel shading, just expert use of art and craft, in a different way.

A team who makes a crappy looking "realistic" game on the Wii, would have also likely made a crappy cel shaded game on the Wii. Look at the difference between Resident Evil 4 on the cube (or Wii) and Dead Rising on the Wii. I think it's obvious what game they paid more attention to making look solid and consistent in every aspect and what game is a mere port with the least possible resources spent (even with the conversion to the RE4 engine). You get a VERY different quality result when you create a texture with a specific limit in mind and when you try to quickly downscale a much larger texture, thus ending up with an undetailed blurry mess like in the Dead Rising zombies.

Just trying to say, performance and visual quality has little to do with the choice of using cel shading or not so this game won't be able to run on the Wii just because it's cel shaded, it's able to run because it's made to spec for it from the start, and it looks beautiful thanks to good use of the hardware and the great art.

And yes, this game is gorgeous. I actually prefer it to Street Fighter 4's look by far. Street Fighter 4 could have looked amazing also with those ink effects (I'm NOT speaking of the intro, but of gameplay, as seen in parts of this video) but from the latest trailers and images it looks like they're only left in for some special moves and other such special conditions. I could be wrong, I actually HOPE I'm wrong and it's some setting you can enable and disable at will, because then SF4 would be on par with this game in visuals (I don't think they compare in gameplay, I love both styles) and it deserves that really.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r

I'm pretty sure it's used in varying degrees, I mean, not every game looks as jagged as No More Heroes. Even assuming the gpu doesn't include AA features on a hardware level, it could still be done via software. Of course, in both cases, it can be a hit on the performance, thus requiring a reduction in the rest graphical assets which the developer may not be willing to trade off. The No More Heroes game engine has sub par performance as it is, they couldn't afford any AA and it's all too obvious (but I still love the game, frame rate issues and jagged edges included). Other games, while still jagged, look far smoother so perhaps 2x or so AA is used.

The GC (and so the WIi) also had some sort of deflicker switch filter that made games smoother, especially on SD TVs, though it apparently also blurred things a little bit, much like early adaptations of Nvidia's AA techniques. Depending on the game, its use was preffered, or not. Performance was not affected with that either way.

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Dark_Link142

Looks pretty slick. I'm a bit surprised to see Batsu from Rival Schools in there but also a bit pleased.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

As excited over this as I am for SF4, if not more. I hope it plays as good as the Marvel vs Capcom games, it seems to.

PharoahCapcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PharoahCapcom

Until this is announced for Xbox360..I don't give a sh#t.Wii is a terrible console.

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dark_Link142

After seeing it in motion...I'm convinced that this will be an amazing game.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By TheFreeMan

Dude, did I see Viewtiful Joe in there? I know that Joe himself is based off of a bunch of anime heroes (I think?), but he made the exact sound Joe makes when he does his combo and has animation just like it (just like Joe's combo's in VJ).

If he is, then the only thing that could be better would be if they added Dante.....

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Endogene

I actually considering buying a hori stick just for this game....

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By TheGreatGuero

The graphics look too good to be Wii? I don't see that. They don't look that great to me, I'm sure the Wii is totally capable of those graphics. Also, what the heck is Tatsunoko?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Al3xand3r

Anime company. G FORCE FTW! And yes, obviously the Wii is capable of these beautiful graphics since it's running on it :P

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Endogene
    TheGreatGuero said:
    "The graphics look too good to be Wii? I don't see that. They don't look that great to me, I'm sure the Wii is totally capable of those graphics. Also, what the heck is Tatsunoko?"
    It runs on wii hardware (so does the arcade version) jeff stated so in the last bombcast.
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Endogene

So still a slight hope of seeing evas in that game.... (DO IT, DO ITTTTTT!!!!!! ahem...)

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#19  Edited By Black_Rose

The animations look fantastic.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Linkyshinks

I'm now thinking this might not even turn up in the west after reading a GS article from Ricardo Torres.

I am so importing a copy

My Wii is till unlocked to use Freeloader.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By brukaoru

If it ever is coming over to the west, it will be a long time. Wait, does Europe have the same issues with multiple companies owning the license for various anime? It's a shame the licenses are all over the place.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

I hope this hits the states.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Black_Rose
    TheGTAvaccine said:
    "I hope this hits the states."
    I doubt it will
    Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dark_Link142
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Linkyshinks

Well they had better try hard, we really need this game on Wii here,

Earthbounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Earthbounder

Yeah, the Wii is in need of a more traditional fighting game and this would be it!

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Great Movie. Love the widescreen showing more of the level (I think).
    Edited to embed, but it lacks the scroll/pause functions so if it lags for you just go view it via the link above, pause there until it loads fully.

Edited again to remove the embed as some people may not realise a movie has loaded and wonder why they hear the Tatsunoko sound even though they've closed their other windows with the videos, ha... Click the original link if you want to view the video again, it's one of the best :D
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By get2sammyb
    PharoahCapcom said:
    "Until this is announced for Xbox360..I don't give a sh#t.Wii is a terrible console."
    Go back to GameTrailers, we have a brain here on GiantBomb.
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Endogene

edit: never mind, did not notice previous post

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Famitsu Video

It turns out there are a few special moves initiated by the Wii Remote gestures in the game. The only one known so far is when Alex from SF3 can pick up a car swing it and throw it at the other player. 
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Al3xand3r

Meh, who's really going to play this with the remote >_>

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Al3xand3r

Car throwing seems to be a mini game too.

chazer127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By chazer127
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Meh, who's really going to play this with the remote >_>"

*raises hand* I dont have one of thouse joysticks things
    I realy hope this hits europe
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Linkyshinks

Al3xand3r said:
    "Meh, who's really going to play this with the remote >_>"

But you already have one attached to the Classic Controller or Joystick.

It's likely that during a mini game the sensors become active and you have to move the Wii Remote that is attached to your control option.

Nintendo asks that all licensed developers include Wii Remote control in all games, as it's the default controller. It does not have to be fun or even work properly, but it is a requirement none the less.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Black_Rose

Question: Does this game uses the GC controller?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Black_Rose said:
    "Question: Does this game uses the GC controller?"

Yes I think it will almost certainly have support, but from my own experiences of fighters on Cube, it tends not to work great that great, Some games have been re-worked on Cube because of that*.  A Classic C or a good third party pad with a tight D pad and analogue stick would be your best option. There are some great pads out now at cheap cost.

*Capcom Vs SNK 2 EO* ("Easy Operation")

chazer127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By chazer127

I have just had an idea for another capcom fighter, The Nemisis from RE3, what do you think? *sound of chirping crickets*

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Al3xand3r

Release party:

mthe1337one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mthe1337one

i'm not sure if it's just a major fluke on my end, but i don't see how hori sticks are good to use with traditional capcom vs. fighting games.

i have a tekken anniversary edition hori stick that i attempted to play capcom vs. snk 2 with.......LAAAAAAAAAG GALORE!!!  literally took one second  to register a crouch.  but it was strictly the joystick motions though...regular button presses were fine.  i don't think the thing is broken either because tekken 5 controls fine with the stick too.  anyway i digress...

i'd love to be able to play this game on wii as well...the problem is that the current sticks i have aren't exactly compatible with Wii's USB ports.  i have the above mentioned T5 hori stick, and the Street Fighter Anniversary Edition stick...both of which obviously can't be plugged into the wii :(

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Endogene
    mthe1337one said:
    "i'm not sure if it's just a major fluke on my end, but i don't see how hori sticks are good to use with traditional capcom vs. fighting games.

i have a tekken anniversary edition hori stick that i attempted to play capcom vs. snk 2 with.......LAAAAAAAAAG GALORE!!!  literally took one second  to register a crouch.  but it was strictly the joystick motions though...regular button presses were fine.  i don't think the thing is broken either because tekken 5 controls fine with the stick too.  anyway i digress...

i'd love to be able to play this game on wii as well...the problem is that the current sticks i have aren't exactly compatible with Wii's USB ports.  i have the above mentioned T5 hori stick, and the Street Fighter Anniversary Edition stick...both of which obviously can't be plugged into the wii :("
    I do recall their being adaptor available that turn them into classic controller. That is what happens the the Wii hori stick when you plus it into the wii mote.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.