The Wii mini!

• 63 results
#1 Edited by TruthTellah (9468 posts) -

In a surprising turn of events, it would appear that the Canadian website for Best Buy has let slip an advertisement for preordering a new, smaller version of the Wii called the "Wii mini", slated to release on December 7th.

This is quite the surprise. A new, boxy Wii just in time for the holidays. If the price is right, it might just be something rather lucrative for Nintendo. I was not expecting them to do anything more with the Wii platform, as they seemed to be trying so hard to just push the Wii U as the big new thing, but I guess they really want the Wii to have some legs. I'm curious to hear all of the details on what's included. As a cheap little Netflix and gaming box, I can definitely see its appeal for some time to come.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/home.aspx

What are your thoughts on it? Might a smaller, cheaper Wii finally get the little guy into your home?

#2 Posted by ShaggE (6690 posts) -

Soooo... it's decided that "Wiinii" is it's true name, yes?

#3 Posted by TruthTellah (9468 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

I've already heard "Wee Wii", and I'm afraid that may be the early frontrunner.

#4 Posted by Sanj (2534 posts) -

A wee Wii.

#5 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

Man, another Wii I won't buy, they are just throwing them out all over the place.

#6 Posted by ShaggE (6690 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

@ShaggE said:

Yeah, that's ten times better. I am fully behind pushing the Wee Wii agenda.

#7 Posted by Marzy (675 posts) -

Looks cute!

#8 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Wow, it looks about as small as...the regular Wii?

#9 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -

but the wii is already small and inexpensive, what's the point in having a slightly smaller one? It's not like I'm carrying it around.
welp- as if people weren't confused enough over whether the Wii U is a new console or just an accessory, here's another variable. Might've bin a better idea to launch this a few months ago.

#10 Posted by GS_Dan (1397 posts) -

Doesn't this just give people less of a reason to buy a Wii U?

#11 Posted by rjayb89 (7728 posts) -

I wonder if Amazon will have it in stock since they love Nintendo hardware so much that they just won't let anyone have them other than themselves.

#12 Posted by Morningstar (2238 posts) -

I'll only buy it if it's the size of my thumb.

#13 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@GS_Dan said:

Doesn't this just give people less of a reason to buy a Wii U?

Some people just won't be willing to spend $300 on a games console and probably don't care about owning the newest games.

If you've still never owned a Wii, I'd say that this is very much worth picking up for the handful of excellent games that were on there.

#14 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Wii-Nii lol, how small can this thing be, the regular Wii is about the size of my first CD Walkman.

#15 Posted by Dixavd (1369 posts) -

A smaller Wii with the ability to easily move it around from place to place is a great idea (and I think if it sells well then third parties will offer a screen that clips onto the small console so you can play it in hotels or even outside etc...) but I can't for the life of me see why they are releasing it in the same holiday season as they are releasing a completely new console (especially one in which people are already finding trouble figuring out what the WiiU is).

God Damnit Nintendo - this should have either been released 6 months ago or 6 months from now - not less than a month after the WiiU came out.

#16 Posted by lemonlateralus (102 posts) -

This ^

#17 Posted by Nightriff (5323 posts) -

I prefer Wiinii and what the fuck is Nintendo doing?

#18 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

@ShaggE said:

@Sanj said:

A wee Wii.

#19 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -

Sweet, if the price is right I might finally get to play Super Mario Galaxy

#20 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5154 posts) -

WiiM!!Nii

#21 Posted by Pablo_biffy (9 posts) -
#22 Posted by Hector (3378 posts) -
#23 Posted by crusader8463 (14428 posts) -

The first Wii is so tiny. How can it get even smaller?

#24 Posted by Wikitoups (875 posts) -
@I_smell
but the wii is already small and inexpensive, what's the point in having a slightly smaller one? It's not like I'm carrying it around.
welp- as if people weren't confused enough over whether the Wii U is a new console or just an accessory, here's another variable. Might've bin a better idea to launch this a few months ago.
it has a netflix app if the price is right you could have it as a inexpensive netflix box for a old tv (ex one for kids) other than that...a cheap box to play wii games?

hell theres someone who will probably hack it to play emulated games.
#25 Posted by Daiphyer (1350 posts) -

Man, Nintendo is desperate.

#26 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

with the billions of wii's that got sold finding a cheap secondhand one is not a problem. and the wii was hardley massive.

do like the colour though

#27 Edited by WalkerD (460 posts) -

It's a neat looking model. If it didn't lack support for internet, Gamecube games, and likely the modability of the regular Wii, it might be a worthwhile purchase for people don't already have a Wii. Another thing to consider is that without internet connectivity, there is literally no way to get Virtual Console or WiiWare games onto this thing.

@Wikitoups: How exactly do you use Netflix when you can't connect to the internet?

Edit: Isn't the regular Wii $99? Why would you pay the same price for this gimped version?

#28 Posted by SniperXan (223 posts) -

It might have, but the WiiU is out now so...

#29 Edited by krelmoon (34 posts) -

if no network or pack in $99 is insane.

broken wii replacement for the small subset of users that were not using it as netflix box

I don't see a sd slot either so hacking options are going to be slim

#30 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

This is great, there have been so many times where I've thought "you know, my Wii is great, but if only it were a little smaller."

@Daiphyer said:

Man, Nintendo is desperate.

Nintendo have like 10 billion dollars sitting in the bank. It's because of moves like this, they know a cash cow when they see it. This'll sell like hotcakes.

mmm... hotcakes.

#31 Edited by Hector (3378 posts) -

@Wikitoups said:

@I_smell
it has a netflix app if the price is right you could have it as a inexpensive netflix box for a old tv (ex one for kids) other than that...a cheap box to play wii games? hell theres someone who will probably hack it to play emulated games.

Perhaps you haven't seen the posts yet...but it doesn't have WiFi capabilities...

#32 Posted by BisonHero (7021 posts) -

@WalkerD said:

It's a neat looking model. If it didn't lack support for internet, Gamecube games, and likely the modability of the regular Wii, it might be a worthwhile purchase for people don't already have a Wii. Another thing to consider is that without internet connectivity, there is literally no way to get Virtual Console or WiiWare games onto this thing.

@Wikitoups: How exactly do you use Netflix when you can't connect to the internet?

Edit: Isn't the regular Wii $99? Why would you pay the same price for this gimped version?

The regular Wii did get a price cut recently, but it only went down like $20 or $30, and I believe the current price is $129.99. Which was suspicious, but I guess now we know why they didn't just drop it all the way down to $99.99.

Anyway, I agree with everyone else that it's totally insane of Nintendo to launch this less than a month after the WiiU. Talk about market confusion. They could've at least waited until January.

#33 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1247 posts) -

I just have to ask...... Why would they do this when they just launched a new console? Why didn't they think of this like three or four years before the Wii U became more than an idea? I have a feeling this thing is going the way of the Game Boy Micro.

#34 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

Is there seriously no wi-fi in this thing?

#35 Posted by bemusedchunk (734 posts) -

Heres another article with some more pictures:

http://www.slashgear.com/wii-mini-official-99-99-canada-exclusive-sheds-internet-27258445/

#36 Edited by nonforma (61 posts) -

I almost thought they could make this work if they started selling disc games on the eShop (and maybe used that for the free pack in games) but nevermind with no network support.

Also supports "most Wii accessories" probably means no USB either. Potentially no SD. Not sure what Nintendo is thinking.

Press release references all the top Wii games and their prices so looks like no pack in either.

#37 Posted by Nights (619 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@TruthTellah said:

@ShaggE said:

@Sanj said:

A wee Wii.

Yes! I love that you made this reference because that's exactly what was playing through my head.

#38 Posted by HowDire (270 posts) -

For fucks sake, why no internet connectivity?! I was totally tempted to buy this to play a tonne of Virtual Console.

#39 Posted by zombie2011 (5047 posts) -

Seems an odd time to release this right along side your new console.

#40 Posted by GnomeonFire (778 posts) -

Wtf are you doing Nintendo?

#41 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

The design is cool, I like it. No internet seems a little crazy.

#42 Posted by Chaser324 (6739 posts) -

It looks pretty cool. Removal of internet connectivity isn't all that surprising. It's an easy way to cut cost, and I imagine that a pretty low percentage of Wii consoles have ever been connected to the internet at all.

...but why the hell would they do this? There's already market confusion about the Wii and Wii U, and it seems like the last thing they should be doing is introducing yet another model. Confused parents everywhere are about to disappoint a lot of kids that were hoping to have a Wii U under the tree.

#43 Posted by Hector (3378 posts) -

@msavo said:

Is there seriously no wi-fi in this thing?

http://www.nintendo.com/wiimini/what-is-wii-mini/#/whats-in-the-box

#44 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

@Chaser324 said:

It looks pretty cool. Removal of internet connectivity isn't all that surprising. It's an easy way to cut cost, and I imagine that a pretty low percentage of Wii consoles have ever been connected to the internet at all.

...but why the hell would they do this? There's already market confusion about the Wii and Wii U, and it seems like the last thing they should be doing is introducing yet another model. Confused parents everywhere are about to disappoint a lot of kids that were hoping to have a Wii U under the tree.

kids below a certain age are likely to not notice a difference.

i think nintendo is releasing it because it serves as a stopgap product to get nintendo some reliable revenue until the wii-u gets some legs of its own.

it will take a while for that console to reach its peak but once developers get used to the idea of developing for the wii-u it will probably sell better among the enthusiastic crowd, assuming nintendo delivers on its self-generated hype

#45 Posted by Chaser324 (6739 posts) -

@thedj93: I don't think it's a bad idea, I just think it's bad timing. A smaller console that is cheaper to produce and sells at a lower cost can be crazy profitable (just ask Sony), but I think it's poor timing to release it at the same time as a new console that a lot of people are already confused about. However, maybe Canadians are smarter than dumb Americans, so maybe they can handle it better than us.

#46 Edited by Vexxan (4612 posts) -

Man, Christmas is going to be hell for the moms trying to find the correct console for their kids.

E: In Canada that is...seems weird to make it Canada exclusive thou, bet it'll come out everywhere else not too soon.

#47 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

@Chaser324 said:

@thedj93: I don't think it's a bad idea, I just think it's bad timing. A smaller console that is cheaper to produce and sells at a lower cost can be crazy profitable (just ask Sony), but I think it's poor timing to release it at the same time as a new console that a lot of people are already confused about. However, maybe Canadians are smarter than dumb Americans, so maybe they can handle it better than us.

dude I AM canadian, but yeah i totally agree. if this was out at the same time last year i would be more interested in buying it. actually who am i kidding i wouldn't have bought it then haha fuck that, motion controls arent for me

#48 Posted by MEATBALL (3468 posts) -

I kind of want to buy one just because it looks so awesome, it's a pretty ridiculous and oddly timed product, though.

#49 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (3013 posts) -

The point seem to be to have SOMETHING or ANYTHING that is a Wii under the tree....that is similar to Sony and MS plan as well.  You just get people in your eco-system and worry about them getting the 'right thing' later.   In 2006 when I walked into a shopping mall, the MOST purchased and carried around item was a PSTwo.  That didn't hurt Sony or confuse people, having both systems for sale in Sony's  area just got more people in the PS eco-system. 

The real question is what's the market for a Wii Mini?  Are kids or fans going to ask for one on the Santa list?  Having it hurts very little, but selling it remains a question.

#50 Posted by Bigheart711 (1240 posts) -

This is really bad timing on Nintendo's part, even if it only concerns Canada. Hopefully, it won't come out anywhere else...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.