The Wii Shop is pathetic

#1 Posted by BigStupidFace (214 posts) -

I last used the Wii shop in 2007 when a mate bought a Wii. It had very little in terms of marketing so it was very difficult to actually find anything new. The 'channels' section had a pathetic array of things like voting, news and weather apps, none of which actually offer anything special. I thought of them as a boring tech demo more than anything. 

So I used the Wii Shop again last night on our own Wii. It still had very little in terms of information and marketing so all purchases would rely on my own knowledge of the games offered. The channels section is exactly as pathetic as it was 4 years ago, I mean seriously, it hadn't changed at all. What's this though?! A new genre?! DEMOS?!? Oh boy I can't wait to try some things out and ... there are only 13 demos? Do demos get cycled, or is this the sum of the demo content to date? Either way its either a pointless restraint or pathetic. 

Any way, I download the Cave Story demo to see if it compares to the game I loved on PC years ago. The game seems fine, but the process of getting it sucked. First off, you have to sit there any wait for it to download, you cannot do anything else. Secondly and more annoyingly the progress indicator is vague. What is wrong with a percentage progress bar? Maybe an estimated completion time too? RARGH! 

No real point to this rant, but I am shocked with how little Nintendo seem to have invested in their online stuff. I hope their next console is better.

#2 Posted by yakov456 (1917 posts) -

I think I hear a train in the distance, better step away from the tracks.

#3 Edited by fuzzyponken (694 posts) -

The Wii shop does suck; you're right. The download progress thingy is fucking bizarre. I have no idea how I'm supposed to interpret that thing at all.  

For those of you without Wii's:  

A 2D Mario sprite is running around collecting a bunch of coins in a seemingly completely random pattern. There are three boxes floating above his head, and now and then at irregular intervals he'll jump up and break one. The last one usually contains a bunch of coins, and I guess it's supposed to signify that the download is almost over, but I've had downloads where he'd only break two boxes. There is no pattern to anything. There is no way of telling how much is left, how much is done or even if it's downloading at all. You're just sitting there, puzzled, staring at it, trying to find some semblance of order. 

#4 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

It's a mixed bag really, it ranges from utter crap to hidden gems

#5 Posted by Fascism (148 posts) -
@fuzzyponken said:

A 2D Mario sprite is running around collecting a bunch of coins in a seemingly completely random pattern. There are three boxes floating above his head, and now and then at irregular intervals he'll jump up and break one. The last one usually contains a bunch of coins, and I guess it's supposed to signify that the download is almost over, but I've had downloads where he'd only break two boxes. There is no pattern to anything. There is no way of telling how much is left, how much is done or even if it's downloading at all. You're just sitting there, puzzled, staring at it, trying to find some semblance of order.  "
If you cant figure out what that means you are an idiot.
#6 Posted by fuzzyponken (694 posts) -
@Fascism said:
If you cant figure out what that means you are an idiot. "
Wow, that comes as a bit of a let down, to say the least. And here I thought I was clever! Would you mind explaining it, or are you content just to insult?
#7 Posted by JasonR86 (9742 posts) -
@BigStupidFace: 

It is kind of sad just how poorly put together that UI is because there are some good games in there that aren't just VC games.
#8 Posted by JackSukeru (5921 posts) -

It is definetly the worst of the four platforms downloadable services.

#9 Posted by CmdrSheppard (202 posts) -
#10 Posted by Fascism (148 posts) -
@fuzzyponken said:
" @Fascism said:
If you cant figure out what that means you are an idiot. "
Wow, that comes as a bit of a let down, to say the least. And here I thought I was clever! Would you mind explaining it, or are you content just to insult? "
I was joking
#11 Posted by BigStupidFace (214 posts) -
@fuzzyponken said:
" The Wii shop does suck; you're right. The download progress thingy is fucking bizarre. I have no idea how I'm supposed to interpret that thing at all.  

For those of you without Wii's:  

A 2D Mario sprite is running around collecting a bunch of coins in a seemingly completely random pattern. There are three boxes floating above his head, and now and then at irregular intervals he'll jump up and break one. The last one usually contains a bunch of coins, and I guess it's supposed to signify that the download is almost over, but I've had downloads where he'd only break two boxes. There is no pattern to anything. There is no way of telling how much is left, how much is done or even if it's downloading at all. You're just sitting there, puzzled, staring at it, trying to find some semblance of order.  "
Haha yes, explains the bewildering feeling perfectly.
#12 Posted by BigStupidFace (214 posts) -
@CmdrSheppard said:
" I just want to play WiiWare Descent. "
and I cant believe Descent is on the Wii, can't imagine someone thinking "you know what? Descent would be GREAT on the wii"
#13 Posted by Zidd (1851 posts) -

The organization in the Wii Shop is quite dreadful but if you dig (A LOT) you will find some great games in there. I have only managed to find 4 although descent on wiiware is intriguing I had no idea it was even out.

#14 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

Finding good WiiWare titles is hard, but at least it's not tricky for me to identify the great Virtual Console games.

Faxanadu?  Fuck yeah!

#15 Edited by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

I always check here first before I download to avoid the crap ones. Recommended

#16 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" Finding good WiiWare titles is hard, but at least it's not tricky for me to identify the great Virtual Console games.  Faxanadu?  Fuck yeah! "
FLEXIN' DUDE 4EVER
#17 Posted by DevWil (842 posts) -
@yakov456 said:
" I think I hear a train in the distance, better step away from the tracks. "
May I see your ticket, sir?
#18 Posted by fuzzyponken (694 posts) -

You know, I actually played Descent fairly recently on my oldschool DOS PC, and let me tell you; you do not want to play Descent. 

#19 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -
@RockmanBionics said:
" It is definetly the worst of the four platforms downloadable services. "
#20 Posted by robbob88 (326 posts) -

I am a Nintendo fan boy and I will admit, the shop channel is a fucking joke. BUT, there are some great games that you can get through the service, most notably the Lost Winds series. Fantastic games.

#21 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

There are some good games on there, but its really hard to find any of them.
#22 Edited by RJay_64 (631 posts) -

The WiiWare section is where shovelware is thrown on a weekly basis.  You don't need a lot of storage space to make a classic game. Just look at Mega Man 9, it doesn't take up a lot of space, yet is one of the best games you could download on WiiWare. If more games like that came out, rather than shovelware directed towards non-gamers who don't even know the service exists, I'd be happy.

#23 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

The 3DS store is a bige improvment from the Wii Shop, it has a fucking search engine!

#24 Posted by mariokart64fan (366 posts) -

the wii shop does what it promised-virtual console , games,

sure not all of them are good cause i cant say the others are any better either,

point is, you dont like classic games then get off the wii shop , cause thats wiis main strength and nintnedo said that along time ago ,

they wanted to get every franchises they can onto the wii ,

and they did so you know what ,complaning at the end of the life span is ridiculous ,

the wii shop does not suck , if you never played a snes game nes game or any n64 game , then i dont know what to tell you because thats what wii shop was there for in the begining and thats how it ends you should be lucky wii ware exist .

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.