Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

This is how to sell the Wii without a price drop.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

We all know that the Wii hasn't seen a price decrease since launch, and considering how well it sells, why would you.  It i also clear that with a combination of the passing of time and the global financial mess, the sales have levelled a little, whilst still knocking the competition around.   

So how do you give a price decrease without actually decreasing the price? 

I don't know about the rest of the world, but in Australia, you bundle Wii Sports Resort with the console. 

A major department store in Australia, clearly in conjunction with Nintendo, is doing that, and my friends tell it is flying out.  The console is $399 and Wii Sports Resort is $99, but they are bundled for $388.  This is very clever marketing on Nintendos part and appears to be working, but more importantly, it is getting even more Motion Plus attachments out there.  This will only drive more games to use it and that can only be good for all of us. 

So that is Australia, what are Nintendo doing to push sales in your part of the world and what do you think of this type of sales method?

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By c1337us

If I didnt already have the Wii thats probably how they would have finally got me, bundling in the Motion Plus Wii Resort with the console. As it is I have held off from getting Wii Resort but I'll probably pick up a copy next Wednesday.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By oldschool
    @Fezz said:
    " If Wii Sports didn't sell the system to some people, I doubt Wii Sports Resort would be any different. "
    Sure, there are those who haven't come on board just for Wii Sports, but Resort is getting a lot of advertising and with a perceived good deal, it will tempt in those still sitting on the fence.  The same would be true if they dropped the retail price by $100- those who were not tepmpted before, would likely not be tempted now.  Obviously these sales techniques work.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By keyhunter

Everyone bought it at launch and then either sold it to someone else or hasn't used it since. Everyone knows Wii sales figures are a down right fabrication.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By oldschool
    @c1337us said:
    " If I didnt already have the Wii thats probably how they would have finally got me, bundling in the Motion Plus Wii Resort with the console. As it is I have held off from getting Wii Resort but I'll probably pick up a copy next Wednesday. "
    I got my Resort from KMart for $79 and was a big sceptic.  Not any more.  It is awesome and I am so addicted to Frisbee Golf.  It makes me want to take frisbees down to a golf course and do it for real  :-) 

I am going to pick up a second Motion Plus ($30 local), just for some real sword fight multiplayer - my daughters are going to kick my arse  :-(
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
    @keyhunter said:
    " Everyone bought it at launch and then either sold it to someone else or hasn't used it since. Everyone knows Wii sales figures are a down right fabrication. "
    Link please.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well in Japan they got Monster Hunter 3 and the black Wii and in the first week that boosted Wii unit sales to about 95K and in the second week to almost 60K, from a previous average of > 20K weekly. For comparison, the PS3's weekly sales there average <10K, but were <6K in that second week. The Wii will have a stream of other notable titles there within the year (like Crystal Bearers I think) so it will hopefully all help it.

Where I live though they aren't doing shit. There's no real Nintendo of Greece, they do it through a different company, Nortec, and they suck. I wish they'd drop them and just give us the UK versions or something, it's not like they get translated here, at most you get the back of the box, and maybe the manual, so speaking another European language is still a must if you want to play the games. They also publish some third party Wii games here. Those tend to have bad box quality, stickers that can rip the plastic and the translated instructions are a single b&w photocopied page. There's also next to no advertising push. We're probably the only country where the Wii sold/sells like shit, thanks to Nortec. I got it close to launch yet the store, one of the largest chains here, had no pamphlets or anything, and the Wiis were way at the back, out of view.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Well in Japan they got Monster Hunter 3 and the black wii and in the first week it boosted Wii unit sales to about 100K (from the usual 20K) and on the second week almost 60K. For comparison the PS3's weekly sales there average <10K, but were <6K in that second week. The Wii will have a stream of other notable titles there within the year (like Crystal Bearers I think) so it will hopefully all help it keep the momentum. Where I live though they aren't doing shit. There's no real Nintendo of Greece, they do it through a different company, Nortec, and they suck. I wish they'd drop them and just give us the UK versions or something, it's not like they get translated here, at most you get the back of the box, and maybe the manual, so speaking another European language is still a must if you want to play the games. They also publish some third party Wii games here and those tend to have bad box quality and stickers that can rip the plastic encasing when you pull them off. There's also next to no advertising push. We're probably the only country where the Wii sold/sells like shit, thanks to Nortec. I got it close to launch yet the store, one of the largest chains here, had no pamphlets or anything, and the Wiis were way at the back, out of view. "
    Wow Al3x and I thought Nintendo of Australia were shit.  They are marketing geniuses in comparison.  I am surprised they continue to allow such poor service.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By c1337us
    @oldschool: Is there anything else available already that haa Motion Plus support? I was really hoping Ashes 2009 would and sadly it doesn't, though not as sad as the fact that it still isnt out on the Wii yet. I am not sure how much lasting appeal Resort will have for me.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldschool
    @c1337us said:
    " @oldschool: Is there anything else available already that haa Motion Plus support? I was really hoping Ashes 2009 would and sadly it doesn't, though not as sad as the fact that it still isnt out on the Wii yet. I am not sure how much lasting appeal Resort will have for me. "
    Only Tiger Woods Golf and Grand Slam Tennis ( I am not sure about the other tennis game).  I am not up to buying those sport games, hence why I need to buy a standalone Motion Plus.  I was surprised by the price though - it favours well with overseas prices.  I can live with the $30 cost and will then wait for games I really want with Motion Plus for another two.  Nintendo are sure to have some big titles under construction with Motion Plus.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By PureRok
    @keyhunter said:
    " Everyone bought it at launch and then either sold it to someone else or hasn't used it since. Everyone knows Wii sales figures are a down right fabrication. "
    I believe sales figures are based on retail sales, not on some dude selling it to his friend. And even if it was traded in to a store (like Gamestop), and they counted the sale of that Wii again, it doesn't matter. A sale is a sale whether it was sold twice or not.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By keyhunter
    @PureRok: You should probably learn to read before you go on saying something in reply to what I said.
    Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fbomb
    @PureRok said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    I believe sales figures are based on retail sales, not on some dude selling it to his friend. And even if it was traded in to a store (like Gamestop), and they counted the sale of that Wii again, it doesn't matter. A sale is a sale whether it was sold twice or not. "
    Yep. Also, Nintendo reports console SALES, not console SHIPMENTS, like  their competitors do. But, meh, whatever. I don't have stocks in the company, I just own one of their consoles.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldschool
    @keyhunter said:
    " @PureRok: You should probably learn to read before you go on saying something in reply to what I said. "
    I am just curious though - are you saying that the 50 million plus sales are a fabrication?  Is that the same for Xbox 360 and PS3?  Could you provide me with some kind of link that purports to show that there hasn't been 50 million plus Wiis sold throughout the world?
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Meowayne

I'm getting a little cynical about "having more MotionPlus units out there" now that I have read Metroid: Other M is another first party game that won't support the peripheral, after NSMB and Wii Fit Plus. And most probably almost all of Nintendos 09/10 games. >:(

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Willy105

The Wii does not need to sell more. It's still selling like nothing else in the history of videogames. Pundits say the Wii is in trouble, but it's still doing a couple of times better than the other consoles.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r

Eh, Other M and NSMBWii are "just" side scrollers, M+ is no biggie for them. At most you get some shake like in Wario Land or something...

Wii Fit Plus should have used it though, but I guess it really is a mere update to Wii Fit, they don't want it competing with Wii Sports Resort...

From the games we know they're making (supposdelly several secret projects on top) it's announced for where it actually fits really (Zelda).

@Willy105 said:

" The Wii does not need to sell more. It's still selling like nothing else in the history of videogames. Pundits say the Wii is in trouble, but it's still doing a couple of times better than the other consoles. "

That is indeed true, but they're still doing things to help it further as oldschool's and my posts show. More sales are never a bad thing, heh.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By oldschool
    @Meowayne said:
    " I'm getting a little cynical about "having more MotionPlus units out there" now that I have read Metroid: Other M is another first party game that won't support the peripheral, after NSMB and Wii Fit Plus. And most probably almost all of Nintendos 09/10 games. >:( "
    If they don't, it will be a mistake.  This device needs to move beyond minigame collections and sport, then move it into the mainstream.  If it doesn't, I personally will be very annoyed (not that Nintendo will care).  This is too big a development to just let meander to extinction.  I don't share your cynicism Meo, but I can understand it. 

It is important that the use is real, not just shoe-horned in,just to say "look at me, I used motion plus", like the touch screen on the DS or even the Wiimote itself.  It needs Nintendo to show the way as usual.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jkz
    @oldschool said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    " @PureRok: You should probably learn to read before you go on saying something in reply to what I said. "
    I am just curious though - are you saying that the 50 million plus sales are a fabrication?  Is that the same for Xbox 360 and PS3?  Could you provide me with some kind of link that purports to show that there hasn't been 50 million plus Wiis sold throughout the world? "
    I think what he is referring to is the graph showing the amount of playing time per (week? month? dunno) that was put out recently. I'll try to find the link to the article, but it showed that the wii had less playing time, on average, than even the gamecube and original xbox.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By oldschool
    @jukezypoo said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    I am just curious though - are you saying that the 50 million plus sales are a fabrication?  Is that the same for Xbox 360 and PS3?  Could you provide me with some kind of link that purports to show that there hasn't been 50 million plus Wiis sold throughout the world? "
    I think what he is referring to is the graph showing the amount of playing time per (week? month? dunno) that was put out recently. I'll try to find the link to the article, but it showed that the wii had less playing time, on average, than even the gamecube and original xbox. "
    That isn't sales as a fabrication though.  As for play time, sure, some people are not hardcore gamers and they are the new market, so they don't play as much, plus, that is reliant on people being online as well (who is to say the new audience use the Wii online).  Hardly comparable to "everyone hasn't played it since launch".  Extreme statements are hardly conducive to sensible debate.  I would just like him to explain his commentsso I can understand his point.
    Kr3lian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kr3lian
    @oldschool said:
    " @jukezypoo said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    I think what he is referring to is the graph showing the amount of playing time per (week? month? dunno) that was put out recently. I'll try to find the link to the article, but it showed that the wii had less playing time, on average, than even the gamecube and original xbox. "
    That isn't sales as a fabrication though.  As for play time, sure, some people are not hardcore gamers and they are the new market, so they don't play as much, plus, that is reliant on people being online as well (who is to say the new audience use the Wii online).  Hardly comparable to "everyone hasn't played it since launch".  Extreme statements are hardly conducive to sensible debate.  I would just like him to explain his commentsso I can understand his point. "
    Aw come on guys, don't feed the troll.  Sometimes when somebody says something *that* demonstrably false, it's okay to just let it slide.  He'll defend that comment to the grave, and feel like he won.  It's the ugly thing about internet anonymity.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Diamond
    @Willy105 said:
    " The Wii does not need to sell more. It's still selling like nothing else in the history of videogames. Pundits say the Wii is in trouble, but it's still doing a couple of times better than the other consoles. "
    Absolutely wrong.  Companies don't exist on former success.  Nintendo NEEDS to keep selling Wiis.  The ONLY thing that matters to Nintendo is how Wii is selling NOW.  Wii is barely outselling Xbox 360 now, and I wouldn't be surprised if 360 starts outselling Wii by the end of the year.

Anyways, without a price drop I don't see any guaranteed success scenarios other than in Japan.  Success in Japan is easy for anyone, release a Monster Hunter, release a Dragon Quest.  If Microsoft wanted to dominate Japan they might have spent the many millions on guaranteeing 2 Dragon Quest games, would have put them right to #1 no matter what.

Outside of Japan it's not so easy.  Wii Sports Resort has failed to sell hardware in the US.  I don't think any pack in would matter because the majority of the casual gamers don't even care about games.  Many of the Wii buyers just want to buy a 'Wii'.

I think their best bet is probably spending more on marketing, not sure how much that returns, but that's why the Wii was successful in the beginning, and that's what gets the real casuals out to the stores.  The fad may be passing, but you need people to think that Wii isn't 'last year's fad'.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Al3xand3r

Will clearly meant it doesn't need to sell more because it's already selling enough since it's selling more than the competition. So, it doesn't need to sell more as in, more than it does already, rather than, it doesn't need to sell a single unit more. That is absolutely correct, not wrong. No, they don't just care how it sells NOW, the existing install base clearly has advantages for revenue, as does the accumulated profit. A great track record is a great track record, even if the spree comes to an end at some point. It's happened before, but the company remains strong.

Also, Japan is where it's slowed down the most, so that's where the success wasn't guaranteed, though with recent moves it picked up again. Lol at it being "easy" there considering Microsoft hasn't managed to penetrate the market despite all their efforts in attracting that kind of gamer with plenty JRPGs, and also how Sony hasn't managed to approach Nintendo's success, and also how even before Monster Hunter 3 the Wii was consistently selling twice as much as the PS3, week after week after week, as the Media Create (and Famitsu, and Dengeki) Sales show. The home console market in general has shrunk in Japan where the handhelds clearly dominate, it's certainly not "easy" to do good there. As for the rest of the world you say "it's barely outselling the 360" as if that's an indication of doing bad or something. How about "it's still the market leader with 50 million users and others playing catch up" instead? Does that sound better? Outside of Japan the Wii never stopped dominating, even recent reports of how the 360 outsold it for 2009 so far, turned out to be flat out false. Even so, Nintendo simply does great business.

In the last generation they were a distant third place, and despite not having any other activities to fall back to, being primarily a video games company unlike Microsoft and Sony, they came out of it profitable and in great health. They'd be fine and likely be the clear "winners" of the generation even if they really didn't sell a single unit more, as long as they could predict that much and not manufacture excess units. They've had the most growth and most profit. Of course this is all a "what if" scenario, not something tha'ts going to happen any time soon. The generation clearly belongs to Nintendo, they aren't falling to third place before the next one begins, where everyone can retry to grab the market.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By keyhunter
    It's all nothing but communist lies to keep the sheep happy until they realize there's no grass in their pasture. But by then, it's far too late.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jayge_
    @oldschool said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    He could provide you with his "Certified Troll" license. It's gold-plated. 

I really need to get some relative to buy my "little brothers" Wii Sports Resort >.>
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PureRok
    @keyhunter said:

Alright, if you want to be douche about it, I can peel apart what you said right here.

@keyhunter said:

1. "Everyone bought it at launch and then either sold it to someone else..."
         a. My reply to that: "I believe sales figures are based on retail sales, not on some dude selling it to his friend."
    2. "Everyone knows Wii sales figures are down right fabrication."
         a. My reply to that: "A sale is a sale whether it was sold twice or not." This reply also uses line 1 as part of the logic.

I see nothing that was misunderstood. If you meant something else, then maybe you should learn to write what you mean.
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kmdrkul
    @PureRok: keyhunter is known for spewing shit without backing things up.  Look in this thread alone; he completely avoided the OP's request for a link to his claims...
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Scooper

I don't know why people are dissapointed that M+ isn't comming out in games like Metroid: Other M because there's no real way  that it could benifit the experience. Of course you'll be bummed if it isn't being supported in your favourite Tennis or prehaps driving game but for a sidescroller? I guess it would be cool if all games supprted it, though. Most motion controlls are just fancy buttons anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.