Trading in a Wii...

#1 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -

Hey guys, my local EB store is having an offer where you trade in your current Wii and get the new black one for only around $50 extra and a free game (an actual good one!) but I have an issue, my brother chipped my Wii behind my back knowing I am against piracy.

Is there a way for me to ''un-chip'' my Wii myself or would they know if I traded it in as is?

Thanks.

#2 Posted by empfeix (774 posts) -

nah they wont find out - even if they do it will be too late - they only care if it works

#3 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -
@empfeix said:
" nah they wont find out - even if they do it will be too late - they only care if it works "
They would have my information, could I get into trouble?
#4 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

It's a hardware chip? Your brother sucks, software modding alone would have been sufficient for any use he may have wanted even if you didn't. There's no way but maybe they won't check? Of course you'll lose any games you got via WiiWare/Virtual Console this way (so if you do sell it make sure to wipe all data and what not, and disconnect the link between that Wii's Shop Channel and your Nintendo Club account - or maybe sell it to a person, not a store, and ask for more based on how many games you've purchased through those services). If you actually bought a new Wii and took both Wiis to Nintendo asking for a transfer of the games licences they MIGHT do it if you explain the situation (so call first before attempting), but Nintendo would probably see the chip.

#5 Edited by empfeix (774 posts) -

oh wait its a hard modded? I am stupid and thought it was a soft modded - breaking the seal and all that might cause problems 

I say your better off painting it yourself

#6 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" It's a hardware chip? Your brother sucks, software modding alone would have been sufficient for any use he may have wanted even if you didn't. There's no way but maybe they won't check? Of course you'll lose any games you got via WiiWare/Virtual Console this way (so if you do sell it make sure to wipe all data and what not, and disconnect the link between that Wii's Shop Channel and your Nintendo Club account - or maybe sell it to a person, not a store, and ask for more based on how many games you've purchased through those services). If you actually bought a new Wii and took both Wiis to Nintendo asking for a transfer of the games licences they MIGHT do it if you explain the situation (so call first before attempting), but Nintendo would probably see the chip. "
Sorry for being stupid, but I do not get what you are saying.
#7 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Ask your sucky brother if it's an actual chip (ie, someone opened your Wii and soldered extra crap on it), or just homebrew software. But the way you said it, chip, implies an actual chip, and thus hardware modification. In which case, what I said. If it was software alone, it's easy to remove. What else do you not get?

#8 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" Ask your sucky brother if it's an actual chip (ie, someone opened your Wii and soldered extra crap on it), or just homebrew software. But the way you said it, chip, implies an actual chip, and thus hardware modification. In which case, what I said. If it was software alone, it's easy to remove. What else do you not understand? "
It is a actual chip, what do I do then?
#9 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

my brother chipped my Wii behind my back knowing I am against piracy.  

Oh please.
#10 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

If it's an actual chip, what I said in my last post. Maybe they won't even figure it out. But keep in mind you're losing your WiiWare/VC games etc etc. What I said.

#11 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" If it's an actual chip, what I said in my last pot. Maybe they won't even figure it out. But keep in mind you're losing your WiiWare/VC games etc etc. What I said. "
I only had Super Mario Bros and Metroid, I am not losing anything of value (they are cheap as fuck now)

If they do find out could they charge me a fee or something?
#12 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
"

my brother chipped my Wii behind my back knowing I am against piracy.  

Oh please. "
What?
#13 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Are chips even illegal where you are? If so, you don't want them to have your info (but surely you don't give your name and address for a deal like that?). If not, just don't mention it and if they find out, well, too late as the other dude said.

#14 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" Are chips even illegal where you are? If so, you don't want them to have your info (but surely you don't give your name and address for a deal like that?). If not, just don't mention it and if they find out, well, too late as the other dude said. "
Is there a way to take the chip out?
#15 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -

Is there a way to take the modchip out?

#16 Posted by Raakill (845 posts) -

Trade it to one your "brother's" friends for a non-modded one and trade that in to gamestop. Make sure your "brother" uses the software mod next time.

#17 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -
@hematurge said:
" Trade it to one your "brother's" friends for a non-modded one and trade that in to gamestop. Make sure your "brother" uses the software mod next time. "
Dude, it wasn't me who did it -__-
#18 Posted by Godwind (2596 posts) -

Gamestop will only check if it works.  If the system boots up, plays any game, they will buy it.  I once sold some hardware to them.  They just want to see it work and play games.

#19 Posted by Willy105 (4691 posts) -

I don't know. It seemed your brother got you in a bit of a problem.

I suggest keeping it, especially if you still have stuff in there.

#20 Posted by fini_fly (767 posts) -

Besides colour, is there even a difference between a white and black Wii? If not, then why bother trading it in? You are spending $50 to get a black Wii and a game... so $50 for a game, essentially?

#21 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

Dude, gamestop employees don't really care, I mean if  it was blatantly making the console's menus look different and such then yeah, but really you probably just have it set up to play burned discs. So some little kid gets lucky, whatever.

#22 Posted by Godwind (2596 posts) -
@fini_fly said:
"Besides colour, is there even a difference between a white and black Wii? If not, then why bother trading it in? You are spending $50 to get a black Wii and a game... so $50 for a game, essentially? "

I wish my Wii was black.
#23 Posted by lazyturtle (1229 posts) -

Wait...you're going to pay $50 to change the color of your game console? Really?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.