Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

UK Tabloid Sticks Knife Into Wii's MadWorld

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

The Daily Mail love this sensationalist crap-

Daily Mail Article:

A new computer game tipped to be the most violent ever is being released exclusively on the so-called 'family friendly' Wii console.

Nintendo will dramatically transform Wii's image with the release of ultra violent video game MadWorld which, 'revolves around the themes of brutality and exhilaration', according to its creators.

Players in the 'hack and slash' game, which is due for a UK release in early 2009, can impale enemies on road signs, rip out hearts and execute them with weapons including chainsaws and daggers.

Gamers use chainsaws and daggers to kill victims

The decision to release a violent game on a console which has based its reputation on family fun has shocked anti-violence pressure groups.

The game has not yet been given an age rating.

Mediawatch-UK, Britains longest running pressure group campaigning for decency in TV, films and games, said MadWorld will 'spoil' the Wii.

John Beyer, director of Mediawatch-uk, said: 'This game sounds very unsavoury.

'I hope the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) will view this with concern and decide it should not be granted a classification.

'Without that it cannot be marketed in Britain. What the rest of world does is up to them.
    We need to ensure that modern and civilized values take priority rather than killing and maiming people.

'It seems a shame that the game's manufacturer have decided to exclusively release this game on the Wii.

'I believe it will spoil the family fun image of the Wii.'

Nintendo's Wii has enjoyed phenomenal success as an innocent alternative to complex - and often violent - role play video games.

With a repatoire of mostly sports games the basic graphics and easy-to-use motion sensor remotes have become hugely popular with young children and families.

MadWorld is significant departure designed to appeal to 'hardcore' gamers who they claim have been clammering for a more adult theme action game.

MadWorld is in black and white, and uses red to show blood

MadWorld is a third person game where players control a character called Jack in a virtual world called Varrigan City which is under siege by a group of terrorists known as The Organizers.

The alternative world has been turned into a twisted game show called Death Watch where citizens must kill one another to survive - and win.

The action in MadWorld - developed by PlatinumGames and published by Sega exclusively for Nintendo - is entirely in black and white. The only other colour is red for all the blood.

Players use the Wii remote to control the violent on-screen actions as central character Jack executes his way through the game.

A press release on the Sega website says: 'You play as Jack, whos caught up in the terror of Death Watch, the murderous game created by the terrorists who call themselves The Organizers.

'To remain alive, and solve the mystery behind Death Watch, you must master the use of weapons and items found within the environment and compete in ultra violent mini-games designed to push you over the edge.

'With its irreverent humour and over-the-top violence MadWorld delivers a visceral gaming experience that will be an instant classic on the Wii.'

Sean Ratcliffe, Vice President of Marketing, SEGA of America, Inc, said: 'MadWorld pushes the envelope with its extreme content but takes a step away from the dark and serious nature of most mature games.'

Until now Wii had built up a reputation as 'family friendly'

Released in 2006 the Wii has become a market leader with its original games appealing to a far broader age range than competitors like Sony's PlayStation and Microsoft Xbox 360.

Costing around £180 the consoles - which use wireless remotes to control the on-screen actions - have been hailed as the next generation of computer consoles.

While other consoles have focussed on better graphics the Wii has focussed on game play and the physical nature of their games.

It has since become hugely popular with very young children, families and even the elderly.

A spokesman from Nintendo, said: 'Wii appeals to a wide range of audiences from children and teenagers to adult and senior citizens, anyone from 5 - 95, as such there is a wide range of content for all ages and tastes available.

'Mad World will be suitably age rated through the appropriate legal channels and thus only available to an audience above the age rating it is given'

'The game is not made by Nintendo but by Sega.'"

source:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1043818/Parents-horrified-violent-video-game-launch-family-friendly-Wii.html

Thoughts?, my resounding one is that it's a hefty load of BS.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By TheJollyRajah

If you don't want it, then don't fucking buy it. It's that simple.

This is probably written by somebody that doesn't know much about video games...

Earthbounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Earthbounder

That is exactly why ratings have been created. If you don`t want your kids to play it then simply control their gaming purchases, just don`t try to stop the game from being released when there are tons of people who are old enough to play it waiting for its release.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By DualReaver

Why are they so mad?
    It's not like they're forcing people to buy the fucking thing.

Seriously this article actually pisses me off.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Mushir

Most casual gamers don't even know what games are coming. They just go to the store and buy the game with the cutest cover. This game is most likely gonna be 18+, if not then at-least 16+. So some stores wont sell this game to young kids. (Like me). But no one should be stopped to make violent games because most other games on the console are cute. You can't stop someone from making a violent game because you think its bad for your kids. Just don't buy the game for them. The other people who are sick and tired of casual games will enjoy this.

I also don't understand why the world goes crazy when a violent game is released but not when a violent movie is released. I mean movies are actually on TV so kids can just change the channel and watch it. Why aren't parents scared of that?
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    TheJollyRajah said:
    "If you don't want it, then don't fucking buy it. It's that simple.

This is probably written by somebody that doesn't know much about video games..."
    You don't see hardcore gamers writing news editorials about Game Party being released, but they bitch and moan at the first sign of not having their way. I say FUCK them and let them burn in hell, actually give them the chainsaw treatment. That'd be ironic.
    FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By FengShuiGod

Meh. I hope most people recognize this for what it is: bullshit.

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Stevokenevo
    "We need to ensure that modern and civilized values take priority rather than killing and maiming people."

What they don't get is that its a game.  Only because it's possible to tell that you are fighting 'humans' do they get up in arms about it in the current 'knife/violence/gang' culture that the media feel the need to scare everyone with. 
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ArchScabby

lol, they act like the wii isn't allowed to put anything on it that isn't for kids.  It's nintendo's system they can do whatever the hell they want to do with it.

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Stevokenevo

Nintendo kinda dropped themselves in it however, by including the "family" as their audience, they allowed generally ignorant (in regard to games) people to comment more directly on consoles and their respective games. 

These people will eventually learn that it's not the games thats the problem, but themselves and their viewpoint.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Vaxadrin

On one hand I totally agree that it's the free market, if you don't like it, don't buy it.  If people don't buy it, it will show there is no market for gratuitously violent games, and they won't be profitable to make in the future.  Also, pressing buttons is not the same as killing people IRL, at all.  The ratings system should be enforced by retailers and parents should be held responsible, not game makers.

On the other hand, I'm going to have to agree with quotes such as "We need to ensure that modern and civilized values take priority rather than killing and maiming people."  and ponder how often we, as gamers, take pause and wonder why we get so much satisfaction out of running over 100 pedestrians in GTA or getting a ridiculously gory headshot in Gears of War.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ArchScabby
    Vaxadrin said:
    "On one hand I totally agree that it's the free market, if you don't like it, don't buy it.  If people don't buy it, it will show there is no market for gratuitously violent games, and they won't be profitable to make in the future.  Also, pressing buttons is not the same as killing people IRL, at all.

On the other hand, I'm going to have to agree with quotes such as "We need to ensure that modern and civilized values take priority rather than killing and maiming people."  and ponder how often we, as gamers, take pause and wonder why we get so much satisfaction out of running over 100 pedestrians in GTA or getting a ridiculously gory headshot in Gears of War."
    you get satisfaction out of it because it's something you would never want to do in real life.  People who do that stuff in real life didn't do it because of a game,  they did it because of a much deeper mental problem.  It's been said a million times, but any healthy human being could kill a million people in GTA and not have any kind of desire to do something like that in real life.  Blaming games is just a scapegoat because nobody wants to admit that their kid has a mental problem.

Havn't you ever noticed that when a young person kills someone or does something bad, it's the media's fault with things like violent games and movies, or rap music, but when an older adult does it, it's because they were troubled, or crazy.  People just need something to blame, because they don't want to admit that their kids aren't always perfect and that they might need help.
    Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Vaxadrin

...but I don't understand the appeal of wanting to do something digitally that you wouldn't want to do in real life.  Does that mean you would play a game where you mash buttons to have a fat hairy guy shit in your mouth?  Or is that fantasy exclusive to killing people in violent ways only?  Why is that?

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ArchScabby

Because human beings are a naturally violent species.  Just because we doing something like that is so unthinkable, having a way to do it that doesn't hurt anyone helps satisfy that violent part of a person. 
    Less serious though, It's just fun to do something you would never think of doing.

And besides, thats gross....

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vaxadrin

I am satisfied with that answer. :)

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By crunchUK

HAHAHAHAHA up theirs :D

Salabrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#18  Edited By Salabrin

*Ahm*, am I the only one that think this game sounds good? :P

The article is a load of bullshit, like any of the kind. 3rd rate tabloids looking for a break-through story are as biased as can be.

AllSchoolGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AllSchoolGamer

man finally a game on the wii to look forward to...mines been mostly collecting dust wirth the exception of my wiifit

oh and in fairness i havent been able to get my hands on super mario galaxy yet cause of all the cool games on the 360 seem to be coming first

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By brukaoru

Funny that both Resident Evil 4 and No More Heroes didn't get any attention from this group... Picky are they?

This is just another scenario of people who don't understand that videogames are no longer just a children's medium. Even though I admit Nintendo does put on a "family friendly," image over the other consoles, they still have had M rated games on their console. It really angers me because this is the type of crap that keeps games held back from being taken seriously. If they don't want their kids to play it, then don't buy the game for them!

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vaxadrin
    brukaoru said:
    "It really angers me because this is the type of crap that keeps games held back from being taken seriously. If they don't want their kids to play it, then don't buy the game for them!"
    I would argue that the popularity of the Wii has caused a lot of people to view games as a legitimate form of entertainment than they normally would have before, while stuff like Gears of War & Mad World reinforces the stereotype of campy hyper-violence that is only really appealing to adolescents and man-children.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    brukaoru said:
    "Funny that both Resident Evil 4 and No More Heroes didn't get any attention from this group... Picky are they?"
    Actually they did last year in response to Tanya Byrons government report on videogame violence. This is just the latest batch of media idiocy, and can be dismissed as such. The only people who are going to be outraged are the moms who bought a Wii for Wii-Fit and they arent going to buy anyhting else anyway. All the kids with a Wii (who conviently dont have a say in the direction of right-wing national journalism) are still going to be excited over this, so fuck it. What will be interesting is if Nintendo will surrender to social pressure. I doubt it, not if they have any marketing sense. Wii owners are desperate for something they would deem more "mature" (violent).

People just dont seem to understand that young boys like blasting stuff. I think everyone in the world should be forced to read Silence of the Lambs...
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By brukaoru
    Vaxadrin said:
    "I would argue that the popularity of the Wii has caused a lot of people to view games as a legitimate form of entertainment than they normally would have before, while stuff like Gears of War & Mad World reinforces the stereotype of campy hyper-violence that is only really appealing to adolescents and man-children."
    I can see your point. I'd say that the Wii has made more people aware that videogames are not a niche anymore but since many parents purchase a Wii for their children, I don't know if this has really helped the stereotype that games are only meant for kids.

Sweep
    said:
    "What will be interesting is if Nintendo will surrender to social pressure. I doubt it, not if they have any marketing sense. Wii owners are desperate for something they would deem more "mature" (violent)."
    if Nintendo allowed ManHunt 2 to be released I really doubt they would surrender to the pressure and not let MadWorld be marketed. I doubt it so much that I would be literally shocked if they didn't allow it on the market. I bet there would be more uproar about MadWorld not releasing by the gamer community than groups like this wanting regulations on it.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By sweep  Moderator

oh yeah i forgot about Manhunt...

brukaoru said:

"I bet there would be more uproar about MadWorld not releasing by the gamer community than groups like this wanting regulations on it."
    Indeed. But do you think this uproar is actually going to change anything? The people objecting to Madworld are unlikely to be keeping an eye on the giantbomb forums...
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By brukaoru
    Sweep said:
    "Indeed. But do you think this uproar is actually going to change anything? The people objecting to Madworld are unlikely to be keeping an eye on the giantbomb forums..."
    Lol, you never know, they could be watching us right now... Though I'm sure the gamer community can cause quite a stir outside the internet just as well as they can flood message boards.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By oldschool

It seems that the stupidity has spread to Australia.

In the country’s largest selling tabloid, the Herald-Sun, they have joined in.

Matt Johnson

August 15, 2008 12:00am

A HACK-and-slash computer game for the Wii console that simulates strong violence could soon be released in Australia.

Nintendo Wii MadWorld is marketed by creator Sega as featuring "over-the-top violence", where players can hack at "terrorists" with chainsaws and impale them on street signs.

The game, by PlatinumGames, is scheduled for a US release on Nintendo Wii next year, and could then be released in Australia, pending classification.

The hugely successful Nintendo Wii has so far been seen as a family-friendly game system, with games such as tenpin bowling and tennis, as well as healthy lifestyle programs.

The basic graphics and motion sensor remotes have been popular with young children and families.

However, the Victorian president of conservative group the Australian Family Association, Angela Conway, said MadWorld could threaten that image.

Ms Conway said it was unclear whether the game would get a rating from the Australian Classification Board, which could then allow the game to be sold here.

But she said she hoped the classification board would take into account the realism associated with the Wii system.

"The realism in the players' movements in the Wii format should be raising concerns about the impact of the game-playing on the player," she said.

"However, there are other games in other formats that you can effectively get guns and other realistic weapons to use."

In MadWorld, players take on the character of Jack, in Varrigan City, who is caught up in a game called Death Watch created by "terrorists" who call themselves The Organisers.

Using traps and weapons including chainsaws, street signs, and daggers, Jack tries to save the city and "destroy enemies who threaten their lives".

Ms Conway said there was significant research showing the harmful effects of violent computer games, and MadWorld was an extremely violent game.

Sega's website says Sega and Nintendo are looking forward to the US launch of the game.

Sega marketing vice-president Sean Ratcliffe said the game "pushes the envelope with its extreme content, but takes a step away from the dark and serious nature of most mature games".

Nintendo America licensing vice-president Steve Singer said Nintendo was excited the game had been developed exclusively for the Wii.

"MadWorld brings to the Wii its own unique and artistic style to our diverse portfolio of games, and we look forward to seeing more of what the team has to offer," Mr Singer said.

It is no surprise from that particular newspaper, as they are prone to sensationalising many things. I say that it is utterly stupid as Australia has no 18+ rating and therefore, along with the many other banned games, this one is unlikely to get a classification without modification (just conjecture on my part).

If the game turns out to be as good as it appears, then I will just import a USA copy before it becomes illegal to import. I hate the idea of modified games to suit a bunch of old farts who don’t get the gaming culture.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Red

WHY ARE PEOPLE SO FREAKIN' STUPID??????????

WHY????????????????????

WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????

Why is expression such a coo? Why can one not rip someone's heart out in a video game?

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Vaxadrin said:
    "On one hand I totally agree that it's the free market, if you don't like it, don't buy it.  If people don't buy it, it will show there is no market for gratuitously violent games, and they won't be profitable to make in the future.  Also, pressing buttons is not the same as killing people IRL, at all.  The ratings system should be enforced by retailers and parents should be held responsible, not game makers.

On the other hand, I'm going to have to agree with quotes such as "We need to ensure that modern and civilized values take priority rather than killing and maiming people."  and ponder how often we, as gamers, take pause and wonder why we get so much satisfaction out of running over 100 pedestrians in GTA or getting a ridiculously gory headshot in Gears of War."
    Because the physics engine in GTA4 is amazing.

Gaming satisfaction comes from completing your objective as easily as possible. A one-shot kill is completing your objective as easily as possible. It's like the satisfaction you get after solving a riddle, or completing a complex math problem (call me a nerd if you must.)

But really, who cares if the family-friendly image of the Wii is shattered? There's still family friendly games to play. People aren't complaining about Banjo Kazooie shattering the gory, hardcore image of the Xbox. Why do people that write about the Wii have none of teh brains?
    twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By twenty0ne

It's a tabloid. What the hell do you expect?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Ignorance.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.