Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

UK Wii gets a new exclusive Wii Channel

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Willy105

START OF PRESS RELEASE

Category: New Media

This is a joint BBC and Nintendo UK release

The BBC and Nintendo UK today unveil a new version of the popular BBC iPlayer on Nintendo's Wii.

First made available through the console's Internet Channel in April 2008, BBC iPlayer will now be available as a dedicated Wii Channel to provide Wii users with a new, richer experience of the BBC's TV and radio on-demand catch-up service.

The new Wii Channel is expected to be available from 12.01am on Wednesday 18 November.

Since BBC iPlayer first launched on the Nintendo Wii, there have been 900,000 requests for TV and radio programmes, and this new version of BBC iPlayer for Wii has been designed to deliver a better and higher quality experience, with a new full-screen user interface allowing the whole family to catch up on TV and radio together in the lounge.

Erik Huggers, Director, BBC Future Media & Technology, said: "We're pleased that we've been able to work with Nintendo to evolve BBC iPlayer on the Wii, providing a faster, high quality and improved viewing experience.

"It's important that we offer audiences more ways to access the huge range of BBC content available, and this improved version of BBC iPlayer underlines our commitment to reaching new audiences by making BBC iPlayer available on as many platforms as possible."

David Yarnton, General Manager, Nintendo UK, added: "Our partnership with the BBC is another way in which Nintendo is looking to broaden the market for its products by offering compelling and relevant content to families.

"BBC iPlayer offers Wii owners another reason to turn their console on everyday and adds to the already established non-gaming content on Wii that includes Wii Channels for news, weather forecasts and an internet browser."

To use the new BBC iPlayer on Nintendo's Wii, Wii users should download the BBC iPlayer Wii Channel from the menu screen of Wii Shop Channel. Once downloaded, users simply click on the BBC iPlayer icon to launch the new full screen service, then select and play their favourite BBC TV or radio programme that they want to watch.

BBC iPlayer can now be accessed on an increasing number of different platforms and devices, including mobile phones, TVs and gaming consoles.

Notes to Editors

The Nintendo's Wii users will incur no charge for downloading the BBC iPlayer Wii channel. As the BBC iPlayer Wii channel is only available in the United Kingdom, Nintendo Wii users should make sure their Wii is set to the UK.

There are currently nearly six million Wii consoles in homes across the UK (Data courtesy of Chart Track GfK, Annual Consoles By Format, Week 45 Year 2009. Week ending 7 November 2009. Copyright Chart Track GfK 2009).

BBC iPlayer

Since its launch on Christmas Day 2007, BBC iPlayer has grown to a service receiving more than 75 million requests per month for BBC TV and radio programmes. The on-demand service from the BBC allows UK audiences to catch up with their favourite BBC content broadcast over the last seven days at a time that is suitable for them. Audiences have a choice of streaming or downloading their chosen programme, and with 'series stacking' selected programmes are made available for the entire season. First launched on the computer, BBC iPlayer is now available on more than 20 devices, including on TV services, games consoles and mobile phones, providing UK audiences greater access to the wealth of content available from the BBC.

END OF PRESS RELEASE

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Willy105

Whoops, meant for this to go to Wii forum. Please move!

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Griddler

Would be more impressive if I didn't already have it on my PS3.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By mracoon

Now they just need to put in on the 360. The only reason I can think as to why it isn't on there already is because MS would make it for Gold Members only and the BBC probably won't allow them to basically charge for the service.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

Ho humm, why not let the rest Europe in on it? :(

Are we missing anything?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Since I live in a place where my TV is a few feet from my laptop this isn't that much use to me but what a great idea for those that can use it! Free TV on demand on your Wii!

toast_burner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By toast_burner
    @Al3xand3r said:
    "Ho humm, why not let the rest Europe in on it? :(Are we missing anything? "

do you have bbc over there?
    LeadNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By LeadNinja

Is the iPlayer not on Freeview anyway?  Seems like it's already available underneath most TVs.  This'll get it without a TV licence, I suppose.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks

That is well Jackson, BBC iPlayer has some great content. Accessing it through the Internet Channel always felt cumbersome, for me a dedicated channel was always something that needed to be done. 

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Ho humm, why not let the rest Europe in on it? :(Are we missing anything? "
    Because to legally use iPlayer you need to have a British TV license. Which you can't get unless you are a resident of the UK.
    Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Jensonb

Wow, they took their time on this, they've been planning it for a long time.

Still, good to see it out there, iPlayer on TV is getting to be an ever simpler operation.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks

It works really well, stability and picture quality is great, and the interface is really nice also. It's very easy to find programmes your looking for... I'm watching the BBC's latest nature series, Life: Insects, and it looks great running in full-screen.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Marzy

I want to download it, but I can't update my Wii to get the new shopping channel (due to certain reasons). Once I can get it though, I will use it to watch programmes on my TV, rather than on my laptop.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.