VD-W3 Wii Any Good?

#1 Edited by Hiroshi (21 posts) -

Hi, I'm thinking about buying one of these along with a copy of Galaxy 2 on the weekend. If anyone else has one already, could you please give your thoughts on the visual improvements. 

Thanks. 

#2 Posted by Willy105 (4915 posts) -

Don't buy it. It's a scam.  

Your HDTV does that automatically.

#3 Posted by noe (57 posts) -

What is VD-W3?

#4 Posted by Willy105 (4915 posts) -
@noe said:
" What is VD-W3? "
It's a device claiming to make Wii games in HD, when it actually just stretches the 480p image to into an HD output, so your HDTV thinks it's getting an HD signal, but you are actually getting the same thing as you would without it.
#5 Posted by Chris2KLee (2393 posts) -

The reviews I've read all say that it doesn't give you much of an advantage over connecting your Wii normally using DVI or component cables. There are a few You tube videos up that give you a good split screen look of what you get from using it. I think there is some edge softening, but that's about it. Otherwise it looks identical.

#6 Posted by noe (57 posts) -
@Willy105: Thanks! I think I remember hearing about those things.
#7 Posted by Hiroshi (21 posts) -
@Chris2KLee said:
" The reviews I've read all say that it doesn't give you much of an advantage over connecting your Wii normally using DVI or component cables. There are a few You tube videos up that give you a good split screen look of what you get from using it. I think there is some edge softening, but that's about it. Otherwise it looks identical. "

Thanks I should have checked there.  Really, no improvement in the colours also? With Galaxy being such a wildly colourful game, I had hoped to see some richer looking colours. 
#8 Posted by Meowayne (6168 posts) -
@Willy105 said:
" Don't buy it. It's a scam.    Your HDTV does that automatically. "
It's not scam, Willy. They are very honest about what they are selling: A quality hardware upscaler. 
It will almost always produce better results than the upscaler in your TV. 

However, "better results" doesn't mean "definitely noticable" and certainly not "worth the money". But depending on the size of your TV and the quality of its upscaler, this device can deliver improvement, and it certainly delivers the "best" Wii picture possible.

#9 Posted by Hiroshi (21 posts) -

I found this video.

#10 Posted by Meowayne (6168 posts) -

Pointless video because of compression.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.