Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Virtual console/Wii Shop transfer to Wii U?

pkhilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pkhilson

Here's a question I have: Will there be any way to transfer "ownership" of all those NES and SNES virtual console games I bought for the Wii?  

Like maybe a one time serial number console-to-console transfer so all purchased games on the Wii can be re-downloaded for the Wii U. 

I honestly spent over $300 on virtual console old school games and it's made selling my Wii fror $30-$50 unjustifiable...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

Nintendo hasn't made any announcement on that front. Though, given that it's (now) possible to transfer DSi purchases to a 3DS, I imagine that Nintendo is working on some sort of solution that would allow data transfer from a Wii to a Wii U. But then, I'm only guessing.

pkhilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By pkhilson

Nice, I wasn't aware they had a process for transferring DSi to 3DS (not much into handhelds). Thanks for the info. Here's hoping they figure something out!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

It would be cool if it were the last time I had to use a friend code. Transfer complete.

pkhilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pkhilson

That could be an easy way to transfer ownership since every Wii has a unique code right? They could have the transfer verified through their online service or something.

Sikboy1029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sikboy1029

Old post but very relevant now. Hope to hear something tomorrow, this alone will help me decide if I pick up the console early or wait on it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.