VIRTUAL REALITY WITHOUT GLASSES? WII MAKES IT HAPPEN.

#1 Edited by oldschool (7264 posts) -
Source   

VIRTUAL REALITY WITHOUT GLASSES?   WII MAKES IT HAPPEN. 

A recent video posted on Youtube shows virtual reality, but without the glasses. Just need a Wii, ShowWX miniature laser projector, a Wii Remote and a Spacepoint Fusion gyrometer.      
   
   
 
 
Now, I am not going to even pretend that I know what is going on here, other than it looks very interesting.  As he says, this is a proof of concept, but perhaps some of you more technology minded types could educate me.  Is this a good thing and has it potential? 
 
Edit:  Sorry about the capital letters on the title - I didn't realise I did that.
#2 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

He's build a projector onto the Wiimote, so that he has control of the "window" to the gameworld. 
For example, if he wanted to shoot something behind him, he'd have to turn around and point there to even see what there is. 
 
Good for him to have build that, I guess, but It doesn't really excite me. Doesn't look that much fun.

#3 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
" He's build a projector onto the Wiimote, so that he has control of the "window" to the gameworld.  For example, if he wanted to shoot something behind him, he'd have to turn around and point there to even see what there is.    Good for him to have build that, I guess, but It doesn't really excite me. Doesn't look that much fun. "
I look at it and only imagine how sick it would make me - but that doesn't take a lot anyway.
#4 Posted by hinderk (685 posts) -

It's cool, but not practical.

#5 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@hinderk said:
" It's cool, but not practical. "
I would think like any concept though, you would work out all the kinks and shrink everything down in a practical end product - if that occurred, would it be practical?
#6 Posted by hinderk (685 posts) -
@oldschool: To make it practical you would have to take away the projector which seems like a vital part of the machine.
#7 Posted by nanikore (2740 posts) -

That looks terrible.

#8 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@hinderk said:
" @oldschool: To make it practical you would have to take away the projector which seems like a vital part of the machine. "
So, you are saying they couldn't make the projector a viable and practical part of it? 
 
@nanikore said:
" That looks terrible. "
No, you look terrible  :/
#9 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Neat concept, but that's all. If we all lived in spherical full-white rooms it would work well though. There was another similar idea recently with an actual screen in place of the projector (and not Wii related in any way, much like this thing actually, he just used the controllers, but still had to enhance their functions) which is more practical for every day environments but impractical due to the screen's weight and size for obvious reasons. Still, neat experiments all the same.

#10 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" Neat concept, but that's all. If we all lived in spherical full-white rooms it would work well though. "
You don't?  I do, and damned if I can find my Wii  :/ 
 
I agree though, as it seems very clunky and janky (I just wanted to say that) - it appears to lack real convenience, that any console must have, but hey, it is better than the Virtual GameBoy right?
#11 Posted by hinderk (685 posts) -
@oldschool: No, to use the projector you would have to have a dark room with bare walls. Most of the houses I have been in don't have a room that would be able to use this machine properly.
#12 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@hinderk said:
" @oldschool: No, to use the projector you would have to have a dark room with bare walls. Most of the houses I have been in don't have a room that would be able to use this machine properly. "
That would be horribly restrictive and I can certainly understand that.
#13 Posted by Semition (731 posts) -

Not really practical unless you have an empty white room.

#14 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -
Eh, sounds like too much work.
 
@nanikore said:
" That looks terrible. "
They let you back!?!
#15 Posted by Organicalistic_ (2954 posts) -

  I like the ball better, anyways, that would look great in  my place

#16 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@organicalistic_ said:
"   I like the ball better, anyways, that would look great in  my place "
Yeah, all those white padded walls would work fine with it  :-)
#17 Posted by StarFoxA (5150 posts) -

Meh... doesn't seem too practical. Looked like the guy was having a hard time actually playing the game.

#18 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

he should turn on a light

#19 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2924 posts) -
@nanikore said:
" That looks terrible. "
It really does... 
 
 
I still don't get it, is he wearing a helmet or something?
#20 Posted by DystopiaX (5303 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @nanikore said:
" That looks terrible. "
It really does...   I still don't get it, is he wearing a helmet or something? "
I believe the projector is attached to the wii remote. 
 
It's an awesome idea. Need some flat surfaces though. if a company picks this up and works on it I could see arcade/laser tag type businesses being build where you rent a room to play VR.
#21 Edited by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

This has potential.  If major developers take steps like this in new directions we may have see accessible, minimal peripheral, Virtual world based, 3D technology this decade.

#22 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

Confusing, but it looks interesting?

#23 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2924 posts) -
@DystopiaX said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @nanikore said:
" That looks terrible. "
It really does...   I still don't get it, is he wearing a helmet or something? "
I believe the projector is attached to the wii remote.  It's an awesome idea. Need some flat surfaces though. if a company picks this up and works on it I could see arcade/laser tag type businesses being build where you rent a room to play VR. "
In that case...this doesn't look too good. 
 
 
But yeah, the rent a room thing could be cool, but I don't see it happening.
#24 Posted by RJPelonia (855 posts) -

What this thing needs is a giant hamster ball.

#25 Posted by DystopiaX (5303 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @DystopiaX said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @nanikore said:
" That looks terrible. "
It really does...   I still don't get it, is he wearing a helmet or something? "
I believe the projector is attached to the wii remote.  It's an awesome idea. Need some flat surfaces though. if a company picks this up and works on it I could see arcade/laser tag type businesses being build where you rent a room to play VR. "
In that case...this doesn't look too good.   But yeah, the rent a room thing could be cool, but I don't see it happening. "
It's a proof of concept thing. It's not a full game, it's probably just him and a couple of other people doing this for fun/school project. If a big company gets their hands on this they'll improve it by a lot.
#26 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -

That is really gay...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.