Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

What are your thoughts on Wii Speak?

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Godwind

Released on November 16th, 2008, the Wii Speak was bundled with Animal Crossing: City Folk.  A month later, the Wii Speak would be released as a stand-alone device.  It would a few days after Christmas that I decide to buy a Wii Speak.  I remembered at the time, that Animal Crossing: City Folk was regarded as a lazy "rehash," the weakest of all three games.  At the time, the bundle was $60 while the stand alone device was $30.  At the time, I was thinking to myself that I would be saving $30 by buying it as a stand alone device.  I had already owned Animal Crossing for the Gamecube, so what would I need this "rehash" for.  I thought it would be a promising device, and developers would leap to incorporate it into all of their online games, with only 7 games utilizing the device over an 18 month life span.

I made my decision poorly.  Besides the fact that no reviewer could have seen how Nintendo would have fleshed out the game until DLC came up.  For Months, I yearn to play Animal Crossing: City Folk yet I refuse to buy it for my ego.  In the mean time I would wait and wait for support for the Wii Speak.  At first, I was welcoming to it.  Instead of typing messages out, I could send someone a recording with my voice.  But that novelty grew old, quickly.  It was my long awaited desire to use this device, to which I waited patiently for The Conduit.  Nothing but Jeff's review could have prepared me for how horrible the game was.  I bought the game before he reviewed it and made my consumer decision based on IGN's review.  To this day, I have been damning both IGN and High Voltage Software for due to The Conduit.  My desire to use the device was sucked out with such a horrible experience with the game.  But my hopes were burned inside again when I heard Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Reflex Edition was being released for the Wii.  Of course they would support the device.  After all, The Conduit did, right?  But news spread and it would not deliver upon this.

Then Monster Hunter Tri was announced, and it was decided from there that it would support the Wii Speak.  While the online is smooth, it would only be 18 months later that I would learn that the Wii Speak is a piece of crap.  Let me just say, here are the reasons why the Keyboard is far superior to the Wii Speak.

1) You still need to add the person to you're friends list to speak to them. 
    2) I've only met a handful of people with wii speaks. 
    3) It can be hard to understand what someone is saying for whatever reason. 
    4) You can't send messages to your friends with wii speak (via monster hunter 3 servers), where as you can with the keyboard. 
    5) The keyboard is intuitive. 
    6) Only people who have a Wii Speak can hear you. 

So what, what are your thoughts on the Wii Speak?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Snail

I just love these huge pieces of text that Nintendo Fanboys write that I never read and only Alexander and Lynkyshinks reply to with a text that's even bigger than the original one. It's the reason why I browse the Nintendo forum (even though this one is in general discussion, probably because of the bug that puts random threads in General Discussion).

I don't know why I love them, they just make me feel fresh inside.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By oldschool
    @Snail said:
    " I just love these huge pieces of text that Nintendo Fanboys write that I never read and only Alexander and Lynkyshinks reply to with a text that's even bigger than the original one. It's the reason why I browse the Nintendo forum (even though this one is in general discussion, probably because of the bug that puts random threads in General Discussion).  I don't know why I love them, they just make me feel fresh inside. "
    At least you replies aren't predictable nonsense though  :/ 

I would love the Wii Speak if my damn Wii could connect to the internet.  If I can connect my 360, then why not the Wii - 'cause of the satellite?  Fix it Nintendo.  I think I would use the USB keyboard as well, not instead.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By trophyhunter

you mean the wiiak (weak)?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Snail
    @oldschool said:
    " @Snail said:
    " I just love these huge pieces of text that Nintendo Fanboys write that I never read and only Alexander and Lynkyshinks reply to with a text that's even bigger than the original one. It's the reason why I browse the Nintendo forum (even though this one is in general discussion, probably because of the bug that puts random threads in General Discussion).  I don't know why I love them, they just make me feel fresh inside. "
    At least you replies aren't predictable nonsense though  :/ "
    Err... I didn't quite get what that's supposed to mean.
    Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Qorious

I forgot it even existed. o_O

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Godwind
    @Qorious said:
    " I forgot it even existed. o_O "
    Probably because you didn't waste $30 on a piece of crap.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By MikkaQ

The wii... as sorry as I am to say this is starting to remind me of the NES, accessory-wise. Where overly specific accessories are made for like 1-5 games and go nowhere from there. Same with NES, tons of useless perheprials, I mean it was worse, sure, but the simplicity of the wii (which is one of it's major strengths) is getting kinda complicated actually. I mean we got normal controller, fine, then the classic controller, also fine. Then the zapper, which wasn't great, the balance board which outside of wii fit hasn't been used well, this wii speak, and then the friggin heartbeat monitor thing they're cooking up.  

it's crazy. As least with the NES it was mostly 3rd parties' faults.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Mmmslash

It's awful.

When my friends and I play Monster Hunter, we hang out in Skype.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Dalai

My thoughts on Wii Speak? 

Ill-conceived piece of crap... although I never bought one or actually seen one in use. Something about a room mic for a system that doesn't pride itself on online play seems wrong.  

@Snail
    said:

I try to stick to bite-sized pieces of text... simple and to the point. Then again I don't get caught up in the Nintendo forums as I used to.
    PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By PerryVandell

I laughed when I first heard the announcement for Wii Speak. I mean, nintendo's online system is practically broken as it is, and a response to the mic system that microsoft and sony have going on, they bring out something with terrible voice quality that you need to speak into for someone to actually hear what you are saying. And that's with loads of static. There are many, many things wrong with the Wii's online system, the Wii Speak is just another example.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
    @Snail said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Snail said:
    At least you replies aren't predictable nonsense though  :/ "
    Err... I didn't quite get what that's supposed to mean. "
    Well, unlike "certain" people, you don't just go into a Wii thread to attempt to be witty and cool, but end up being annoying and the opposite of cool.  

@trophyhunter
    said:
    " you mean the wiiak (weak)? "
    Oh god, you are still drunk right?  Tell me you are drunk  :/

@Godwind said:
    " @Qorious said:
    Probably because you didn't waste $30 on a piece of crap. "
    It came effectively free with Animal Crossing, so the cost really wasn't an issue for me.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By demontium

It is kinda crappy.  

I have just been using a 360 mic in a party, then switch the input to my wii.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @Mmmslash said:
    " It's awful.  When my friends and I play Monster Hunter, we hang out in Skype. "
    Yeah, using Skype to communicate across games usually works very well. Skype is amazing!
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Godwind
    @oldschool said:
    " @Godwind said:
    " @Qorious said:
    Probably because you didn't waste $30 on a piece of crap. "
    It came effectively free with Animal Crossing, so the cost really wasn't an issue for me. "
    At the time, I should have just picked up the bundle.
    Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Mushir

I have yet to see one in a store here in Norway. I personally think it was a failed product by Nintendo and it seems like they don't give a shit about it anymore.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oldschool
    @Twilight said:
    " I have yet to see one in a store here in Norway. I personally think it was a failed product by Nintendo and it seems like they don't give a shit about it anymore. "
    That is the issue with too many Nintendo items.  They need to support them more, so it encourages others to do also.  The strike rate of success is not great.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Godwind
    @oldschool said:
    " @Twilight said:
    " I have yet to see one in a store here in Norway. I personally think it was a failed product by Nintendo and it seems like they don't give a shit about it anymore. "
    That is the issue with too many Nintendo items.  They need to support them more, so it encourages others to do also.  The strike rate of success is not great. "
    So are we just suckers?
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By oldschool
    @Godwind said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Twilight said:
    That is the issue with too many Nintendo items.  They need to support them more, so it encourages others to do also.  The strike rate of success is not great. "
    So are we just suckers? "
    No.  I am absolutely convinced everyone of the peripherals has some potential.  Trouble is probably more about 3rd party developers not embracing it as much as they could.  Nintendo can only make so many games using them.  In regards to Wii Speak, every game that uses online should use it - full stop.  If Nintendo made that a rule, then it could work better, but then you would hear whinging that Nintendo is trying to control developers. 

The Wii Fit board has had a fair amount of extra use.  I think I have a handful of games that use it.  Thing is, other than Wii Fit, I don't recall ever doing so.  I used the Wii Zapper with Zelda and not much else.  I find the hand cannons from House of Dead better.  I don't think they got the design all that right.  The steering wheel is a bit of a gimmick that I don't really use, but like  Wii Speak, it came with the game.  My kids like it though.  I would prefer a fixed one that has feedback.  I have 2 Motion + add-ons, and that seems to be getting little support.  I only have Sports Resort, and I am not really interested in the sport games.  Red Steel 2 will satisfy me somewhat when I get it, but it should be used more.  That is it for the Wii right?  I don't consider that an excessive list of peripherals for a system and I don't feel like a sucker.
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Emilio

My WiiSpeak came bundled with a brand new Animal Crossing that I got off ebay for 30 bucks a long while ago. 

I only got to try it once. My friend and her boyfriend were on two separate Wii consoles, and they both had the WiiSpeak. We played a 3 player game of AC and it everything worked fine. 

I could hear her. I could hear him. They could hear me. When people came into the room, I could also hear them speak. 

So it works. 

Sometimes I feel like people expect telepathic sound quality from cheap 10-20 dollar toys.

JebranRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JebranRush

It's ok, I guess. It works decently so I can't complain much. It's no skype, but it serves it's purpose.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.