What’s with the Wii faithful’s low bar for third-party games?

  • 85 results
  • 1
  • 2
#51 Posted by JasonR86 (9762 posts) -

@Narwhalist said:

@NTM said:

@Narwhalist said:

Looking back, I think I worded my post wrong — I don’t think that the games I listed are horrible so much as relatively unremarkable. What weirded me out more was the way that he seemed to be uninterested in, and somewhat dismissive of, what was available on other consoles. This was a guy that seemed to be an core gamer who played a lot of games, and given how sparse the catalogue has gotten in recent years, he was probably digging a lot lower than the stuff I listed.

It seems like when he reached the point of justifying buying The Conduit at full price, his money would have been better spent saving up for another system.

I'm sorry, maybe I can agree with you, but your name is colored green, which means you favor Microsoft (or the 360). It's just ironic, since you're accusing another person of being a fan-boy. Of course you're going to say you're different, but not by that much I take it. Then again, I'm just assuming, as you were about him. Anyways, sorry for the negativity, I'm sure you'll have something to argue back with, unless you just didn't want to reply. I actually read your post and agreed with you, and still do. Some people are just like that. My brother had a PS3 once, his broke, and he said the PS3 sucks. My best friend had a 360, his broke, and said the 360 was worse. In this guys case, he just seems a bit ignorant/naive, though I imagine you didn't get into it enough for you to make that decision, or even care to.

I’m pretty new to the forums, so I’ve never quite been clear on what the colours signify. I chose the Xbox alignment because I play most games on the 360, not because I’m on team Xbox. Do the colours mean “X fanboy” or “tends to prefer X”? If it means allegiance, I’ll go back to the default because it’s not the impression I want to give.

When you first create a membership with Giantbomb you are asked what console you prefer to play or if you don't have a preference. This changes the color of your username. 'Green' means you said that you prefer Xbox over every other platform.

#52 Posted by JasonR86 (9762 posts) -

@Narwhalist said:

@JasonR86 said:

When you first create a membership with Giantbomb you are asked what console you prefer to play or if you don't have a preference. This changes the color of your username. 'Green' means you said that you prefer Xbox over every other platform.

I get that, I’m more curious as to how that preference is viewed. Is it “I’m on team Xbox, screw those other guys”, “I like the Xbox, but I’m not a closed-minded asshole”, or something in between?

It's more of an informative characteristic. Your behavior on the forums show your biases more then anything else. But the color of your username linked to behaviors can say an awful lot. I think that's what was being implied by NTM.

#53 Posted by JasonR86 (9762 posts) -

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

some ppl bought into the wii gimmick and are still stuck in the 'revolution' to this day its quite disturbing on many levels.

You sound like a grumpy old man talking about music he doesn't understand and won't try to learn because it's too different and scary.

you sound like a nintendo fan

I'm a fan of video games.

#54 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@Narwhalist said:

@Contrarian said:

Sure, it isn't exactly the same, but the point is real. If someone just had a PS3 or a 360 or even just PC and refused to put some money from just another shooting game on a Wii then how is that any different? Any "serious" gamer wouldn't miss the chance to play Zelda or Mario and then the cream of whatever else comes along, first or third party. Why does it even bother you that someone enjoys something you can't comprehend? You sound just the same as my mother.

I’d argue the 360 and PS3 catalogues are empirically deeper than the Wii’s — I know Metacritic isn’t the arbiter of quality, but it says something that the Wii has ~100 games above 80 (15 above 90), and the 360 and PS3 have ~300 (~50 above 90). All things being equal, you’re going to reach mediocre games quicker. I’ll grant that if you’re not into WRPG and FPS games (or western games in general), then those numbers may not mean as much. I don’t think it’s impossible that someone could like the Wii lineup more, but it’s improbable to me a hardcore, 10-15+ hours-a-week gamer could be playing just the Wii and not be running out of meat.

“Good for a Wii game” doesn’t come off great, but I think it’s at least symptomatic of a real problem. It may be used by people who have their own (stupid) agendas, but that doesn’t invalidate it.

I may cover similar ground to Hallinel here, I want to make my point on this anyway. You say 100 games above 80 for the Wii and 300 for the 360 or PS3. I say, so what. I looked at the lists and come with some stats that apply to me. I found 33 of the 304 Xbox 360 games that appeal to me (and have most) and of the 102 Wii games, I found 35 that appeal to me (and have most). Exactly how many games can you play? I would never own 300 games for a single console and as long as I have enough to keep me happy, then the big number is irrelevant. That isn't all though, my main point follows.

Good games are not just in the 80 and above category as reviewers aren't me, they are them. I know whay I like. I looked beyond/below the 80+ scored games and found some gems. In fact, my absolute favourites for the fun I had scored in the 70s, Fire Emblem & House of Dead Overkill. I found about 20 games in the 70s I want (or have). I went further into the 60s and found another 10 games I want (or have), including Tales of Symphonia, Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers and Harvest Moon. These are just the games I genuinely want. There are plenty of others that are worth playing, but not at full price. That alone could keep me happy for a whole generation - but as I said, I sip from many cups, including PC, and I own all to enjoy what each offer.

Also, you mention 10-15 hours a week for you, I game most weeks for about 20 hours. A big game like Fire Emblem, or Little King's Story could easily take up 50+ hours. I put at least 80 into Fire Emblem, about 100 into Animal Crossing, 100 hours into Monster Hunter Tri and 50 (nowhere near complete) into Xenoblade (competly different games). Those 4 alone would soak up maybe 30-40 weeks of your gaming year. Many, many more soak up well in excess of 20 hours. It would only fail to satisfy as your only console because it didn't offer you enough, you being every individual. Some gamers are satisfied and it is wrong to criticise someone based solely on your own personal tastes.

I am not a hardcore gamer, I don't believe in that term. I am a traditional gamer, who likes both lightweight fun games and the tough as nails ones. You are limiting your image of a gamer who plays the Wii to the stereotype and that is why you sound elitist. Wii gamers don't say it is good for a Wii game, just those who don't play Wii. I accept the graphical limitations and yes, after playing Final Fantasy XIII for 80 hours, Xenoblade started out a little jarring to the eye, but it very quickly went away when I found myself enjoying a really good game (better than FFXIII).

#55 Posted by JasonR86 (9762 posts) -

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

some ppl bought into the wii gimmick and are still stuck in the 'revolution' to this day its quite disturbing on many levels.

You sound like a grumpy old man talking about music he doesn't understand and won't try to learn because it's too different and scary.

you sound like a nintendo fan

I'm a fan of video games.

im a fan of good video games

Then you must be a Nintendo fan.

#56 Posted by Hailinel (25199 posts) -

@Contrarian said:

@Narwhalist said:

@Contrarian said:

Sure, it isn't exactly the same, but the point is real. If someone just had a PS3 or a 360 or even just PC and refused to put some money from just another shooting game on a Wii then how is that any different? Any "serious" gamer wouldn't miss the chance to play Zelda or Mario and then the cream of whatever else comes along, first or third party. Why does it even bother you that someone enjoys something you can't comprehend? You sound just the same as my mother.

I’d argue the 360 and PS3 catalogues are empirically deeper than the Wii’s — I know Metacritic isn’t the arbiter of quality, but it says something that the Wii has ~100 games above 80 (15 above 90), and the 360 and PS3 have ~300 (~50 above 90). All things being equal, you’re going to reach mediocre games quicker. I’ll grant that if you’re not into WRPG and FPS games (or western games in general), then those numbers may not mean as much. I don’t think it’s impossible that someone could like the Wii lineup more, but it’s improbable to me a hardcore, 10-15+ hours-a-week gamer could be playing just the Wii and not be running out of meat.

“Good for a Wii game” doesn’t come off great, but I think it’s at least symptomatic of a real problem. It may be used by people who have their own (stupid) agendas, but that doesn’t invalidate it.

I may cover similar ground to Hallinel here, I want to make my point on this anyway. You say 100 games above 80 for the Wii and 300 for the 360 or PS3. I say, so what. I looked at the lists and come with some stats that apply to me. I found 33 of the 304 Xbox 360 games that appeal to me (and have most) and of the 102 Wii games, I found 35 that appeal to me (and have most). Exactly how many games can you play? I would never own 300 games for a single console and as long as I have enough to keep me happy, then the big number is irrelevant. That isn't all though, my main point follows.

Good games are not just in the 80 and above category as reviewers aren't me, they are them. I know whay I like. I looked beyond/below the 80+ scored games and found some gems. In fact, my absolute favourites for the fun I had scored in the 70s, Fire Emblem & House of Dead Overkill. I found about 20 games in the 70s I want (or have). I went further into the 60s and found another 10 games I want (or have), including Tales of Symphonia, Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers and Harvest Moon. These are just the games I genuinely want. There are plenty of others that are worth playing, but not at full price. That alone could keep me happy for a whole generation - but as I said, I sip from many cups, including PC, and I own all to enjoy what each offer.

Also, you mention 10-15 hours a week for you, I game most weeks for about 20 hours. A big game like Fire Emblem, or Little King's Story could easily take up 50+ hours. I put at least 80 into Fire Emblem, about 100 into Animal Crossing, 100 hours into Monster Hunter Tri and 50 (nowhere near complete) into Xenoblade (competly different games). Those 4 alone would soak up maybe 30-40 weeks of your gaming year. Many, many more soak up well in excess of 20 hours. It would only fail to satisfy as your only console because it didn't offer you enough, you being every individual. Some gamers are satisfied and it is wrong to criticise someone based solely on your own personal tastes.

I am not a hardcore gamer, I don't believe in that term. I am a traditional gamer, who likes both lightweight fun games and the tough as nails ones. You are limiting your image of a gamer who plays the Wii to the stereotype and that is why you sound elitist. Wii gamers don't say it is good for a Wii game, just those who don't play Wii. I accept the graphical limitations and yes, after playing Final Fantasy XIII for 80 hours, Xenoblade started out a little jarring to the eye, but it very quickly went away when I found myself enjoying a really good game (better than FFXIII).

Contrarian brings up pretty much all of the points I'd bring up. Of the 300+ games on the PS3 and the 100+ games on the Wii, the actual number of games on both platforms that I have an interest in playing is rougly equivalent. Quantity in this case does not matter because I am a human being with a finite amount of time with which I can spend playing video games. I play the games that appeal to me regardless of the platform they're on; not because I favor one platform over the other. Right now, I'm focusing on Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Soul Calibur V, but I have a great interest in picking up Kid Icarus: Uprising next month, and will be playing Xenoblade the month after that. I spent a solid month of free time delving into Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn when it came out, just as I spent hours upon hours delving into the likes of Persona 3 and 4 and Final Fantasy XIII. I expect to do the same with Xenoblade.

In the end, the platform does not matter; if I'm enjoying my time with a game, then I deem it worth my time, even if the game in question is not up to the standards of quality set by professional critics. It does not matter to me that, for example, God of War III got a higher metascore than Samurai Warriors 3; I'd rather play Samurai Warriors 3 because I enjoy the subject matter, presentation and gameplay more than I do God of War, despite God of War's supposedly superior quality.

#57 Posted by JasonR86 (9762 posts) -

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

some ppl bought into the wii gimmick and are still stuck in the 'revolution' to this day its quite disturbing on many levels.

You sound like a grumpy old man talking about music he doesn't understand and won't try to learn because it's too different and scary.

you sound like a nintendo fan

I'm a fan of video games.

im a fan of good video games

Then you must be a Nintendo fan.

no cuz im not a fan of horrible games in fact im against them passionantly

So you hate Mario?

#58 Posted by MikkaQ (10326 posts) -

Well maybe he's not a massive devotee of games or doesn't have a lot of time on his hands to play. Though if you're immersing yourself in the world of games and you just have a Wii, you're limiting yourself to a microscopic slice of what games have to offer. That's why I feel obliged to eventually get all the consoles (and an up-to-date PC) in a given generation whenever I can squeeze it into my budget, usually in order of interest to me. It's kinda weird because I really liked what Nintendo was doing up until the Wii, then they got a little too into their gimmicks. Says something that it was the last console I bought this gen when the Gamecube was the first one I grabbed last time around.

#59 Posted by Hailinel (25199 posts) -

@Tarsier: If you're comparing Nintendo to the Eye of Sauron, I think you're overreacting juuuuust a bit.

#60 Edited by JasonR86 (9762 posts) -

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

some ppl bought into the wii gimmick and are still stuck in the 'revolution' to this day its quite disturbing on many levels.

You sound like a grumpy old man talking about music he doesn't understand and won't try to learn because it's too different and scary.

you sound like a nintendo fan

I'm a fan of video games.

im a fan of good video games

Then you must be a Nintendo fan.

no cuz im not a fan of horrible games in fact im against them passionantly

So you hate Mario?

no i dont hate mario and i dont hate nintendo im just passionately AGAINST them because i think their ideals are a dark shadow on the industry the likes we havent seen since sauron and mordor. i think theyre a plague and since the game cube they havent done anything interesting or great and they innovate in all the wrong ways for all the wrong reasons. in a nother dimension where nintendo made the right choices i would LOVE mario instead of just being ok with it. same with zelda and all the other, and everyone agrees with me also including jeff gerstmans. everyone knows nintendo goofed it bigtime and continues to goof it and will continue (if they make the wii u) forever and ever until the ppl who give into their gimmicks realize what dark spell theyre under.

Here's a quote from Jeff's review of Wii Sports Resort;

"Wii Sports Resort is more--much more--of what made you fall in love with the Wii in the first place."

http://www.giantbomb.com/wii-sports-resort/61-21098/reviews/

#61 Edited by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@Tarsier said:

no i dont hate mario and i dont hate nintendo im just passionately AGAINST them because i think their ideals are a dark shadow on the industry the likes we havent seen since sauron and mordor. i think theyre a plague and since the game cube they havent done anything interesting or great and they innovate in all the wrong ways for all the wrong reasons. in a nother dimension where nintendo made the right choices i would LOVE mario instead of just being ok with it. same with zelda and all the other, and everyone agrees with me also including jeff gerstmans. everyone knows nintendo goofed it bigtime and continues to goof it and will continue (if they make the wii u) forever and ever until the ppl who give into their gimmicks realize what dark spell theyre under.

You don't hate them, but you are passionately against them and they cast a dark shadow over gaming? Sounds like you hate them. So what you are saying is that you hate their success. Why do you care? Did they spoil Halo for you? Super mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are both glowingly loved by the industry, so you can't say Nintendo ruined him - the motion controls worked very well, as they did in Zelda. Oh, everyone do not agree with you, such hyperbole doesn't serve your view very well. Plus, I don't think you are quoting Jeff properly. Best you don't speak for others, just yourself.

#62 Posted by JasonR86 (9762 posts) -

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

some ppl bought into the wii gimmick and are still stuck in the 'revolution' to this day its quite disturbing on many levels.

You sound like a grumpy old man talking about music he doesn't understand and won't try to learn because it's too different and scary.

you sound like a nintendo fan

I'm a fan of video games.

im a fan of good video games

Then you must be a Nintendo fan.

no cuz im not a fan of horrible games in fact im against them passionantly

So you hate Mario?

no i dont hate mario and i dont hate nintendo im just passionately AGAINST them because i think their ideals are a dark shadow on the industry the likes we havent seen since sauron and mordor. i think theyre a plague and since the game cube they havent done anything interesting or great and they innovate in all the wrong ways for all the wrong reasons. in a nother dimension where nintendo made the right choices i would LOVE mario instead of just being ok with it. same with zelda and all the other, and everyone agrees with me also including jeff gerstmans. everyone knows nintendo goofed it bigtime and continues to goof it and will continue (if they make the wii u) forever and ever until the ppl who give into their gimmicks realize what dark spell theyre under.

Here's a quote from Jeff's review of Wii Sports Resort;

"Wii Sports Resort is more--much more--of what made you fall in love with the Wii in the first place."

http://www.giantbomb.com/wii-sports-resort/61-21098/reviews/

and hes talking to a 5 yr old .

The Giantbomb audience is a 5 year old?

#63 Posted by JasonR86 (9762 posts) -

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

some ppl bought into the wii gimmick and are still stuck in the 'revolution' to this day its quite disturbing on many levels.

You sound like a grumpy old man talking about music he doesn't understand and won't try to learn because it's too different and scary.

you sound like a nintendo fan

I'm a fan of video games.

im a fan of good video games

Then you must be a Nintendo fan.

no cuz im not a fan of horrible games in fact im against them passionantly

So you hate Mario?

no i dont hate mario and i dont hate nintendo im just passionately AGAINST them because i think their ideals are a dark shadow on the industry the likes we havent seen since sauron and mordor. i think theyre a plague and since the game cube they havent done anything interesting or great and they innovate in all the wrong ways for all the wrong reasons. in a nother dimension where nintendo made the right choices i would LOVE mario instead of just being ok with it. same with zelda and all the other, and everyone agrees with me also including jeff gerstmans. everyone knows nintendo goofed it bigtime and continues to goof it and will continue (if they make the wii u) forever and ever until the ppl who give into their gimmicks realize what dark spell theyre under.

Here's a quote from Jeff's review of Wii Sports Resort;

"Wii Sports Resort is more--much more--of what made you fall in love with the Wii in the first place."

http://www.giantbomb.com/wii-sports-resort/61-21098/reviews/

and hes talking to a 5 yr old .

The Giantbomb audience is a 5 year old?

no but the person who fell in love with the wii cause of wii sports is either a 5 yr old or has the mental capacity of an orc. which goes to show you that nintendo is sauron.

He was speaking about himself. So Jeff is a 5 year old and/or has the mental capacity of an orc.

#64 Posted by Hailinel (25199 posts) -

@Tarsier: OK, now you're just doing a clumsy attempt at trolling.

#65 Posted by JasonR86 (9762 posts) -

@Tarsier said:

@Hailinel said:

@Tarsier: OK, now you're just doing a clumsy attempt at trolling.

im not trolling, maybe thats what youre doing but i know im not

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

some ppl bought into the wii gimmick and are still stuck in the 'revolution' to this day its quite disturbing on many levels.

You sound like a grumpy old man talking about music he doesn't understand and won't try to learn because it's too different and scary.

you sound like a nintendo fan

I'm a fan of video games.

im a fan of good video games

Then you must be a Nintendo fan.

no cuz im not a fan of horrible games in fact im against them passionantly

So you hate Mario?

no i dont hate mario and i dont hate nintendo im just passionately AGAINST them because i think their ideals are a dark shadow on the industry the likes we havent seen since sauron and mordor. i think theyre a plague and since the game cube they havent done anything interesting or great and they innovate in all the wrong ways for all the wrong reasons. in a nother dimension where nintendo made the right choices i would LOVE mario instead of just being ok with it. same with zelda and all the other, and everyone agrees with me also including jeff gerstmans. everyone knows nintendo goofed it bigtime and continues to goof it and will continue (if they make the wii u) forever and ever until the ppl who give into their gimmicks realize what dark spell theyre under.

Here's a quote from Jeff's review of Wii Sports Resort;

"Wii Sports Resort is more--much more--of what made you fall in love with the Wii in the first place."

http://www.giantbomb.com/wii-sports-resort/61-21098/reviews/

and hes talking to a 5 yr old .

The Giantbomb audience is a 5 year old?

no but the person who fell in love with the wii cause of wii sports is either a 5 yr old or has the mental capacity of an orc. which goes to show you that nintendo is sauron.

He was speaking about himself. So Jeff is a 5 year old and/or has the mental capacity of an orc.

i disagree i think jeff was talking to the demographic who is involved in that game cause he knows the people who would even consider PLAYING that game are one of those two types of people and thats who hes talking to.

Here's another quote from Jeff in the review you haven't read;

"You know what? It doesn't even need that layer of qualification. Wii Sports Resort is great."

#66 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

@damnboyadvance said:

Is there something wrong with someone enjoying games that are mediocre?

Fixed; and yes, yes there is something wrong with that.

#67 Posted by Hailinel (25199 posts) -

@Narwhalist said:

@Hailinel said:

In the end, the platform does not matter; if I'm enjoying my time with a game, then I deem it worth my time, even if the game in question is not up to the standards of quality set by professional critics. It does not matter to me that, for example, God of War III got a higher metascore than Samurai Warriors 3; I'd rather play Samurai Warriors 3 because I enjoy the subject matter, presentation and gameplay more than I do God of War, despite God of War's supposedly superior quality.

Not take take anything away from your enjoyment of Samurai Warriors, but you’ve got to admit you probably don’t share that opinion with many. Again, Metacritic isn’t the Holy Ariber of Quality — you’re entitled to your opinions, and everyone has games they disagree with critics about — but claiming that Samurai Warriors 3 sitting at 55 and God of War III sitting at 92 means nothing is really straining my credulity.

It means nothing to me. Not one bit. And it doesn't matter who I share my opinion with. What I enjoy is my business, and I don't seek validation through metacritic.

#68 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Narwhalist said:

@Hailinel said:

In the end, the platform does not matter; if I'm enjoying my time with a game, then I deem it worth my time, even if the game in question is not up to the standards of quality set by professional critics. It does not matter to me that, for example, God of War III got a higher metascore than Samurai Warriors 3; I'd rather play Samurai Warriors 3 because I enjoy the subject matter, presentation and gameplay more than I do God of War, despite God of War's supposedly superior quality.

Not take take anything away from your enjoyment of Samurai Warriors, but you’ve got to admit you probably don’t share that opinion with many. Again, Metacritic isn’t the Holy Ariber of Quality — you’re entitled to your opinions, and everyone has games they disagree with critics about — but claiming that Samurai Warriors 3 sitting at 55 and God of War III sitting at 92 means nothing is really straining my credulity.

It means nothing to me. Not one bit. And it doesn't matter who I share my opinion with. What I enjoy is my business, and I don't seek validation through metacritic.

Glad to see someone here who understands what games are - something you enjoy and scores mean nothing when you enjoy a game. Also someone who is just comfortable with what they like, unemcumbered by the need to seek others support in what they do.

#69 Posted by Sweep (8947 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@Hailinel said:

@Tarsier: OK, now you're just doing a clumsy attempt at trolling.

im not trolling, maybe thats what youre doing but i know im not

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Tarsier said:

some ppl bought into the wii gimmick and are still stuck in the 'revolution' to this day its quite disturbing on many levels.

You sound like a grumpy old man talking about music he doesn't understand and won't try to learn because it's too different and scary.

you sound like a nintendo fan

I'm a fan of video games.

im a fan of good video games

Then you must be a Nintendo fan.

no cuz im not a fan of horrible games in fact im against them passionantly

So you hate Mario?

no i dont hate mario and i dont hate nintendo im just passionately AGAINST them because i think their ideals are a dark shadow on the industry the likes we havent seen since sauron and mordor. i think theyre a plague and since the game cube they havent done anything interesting or great and they innovate in all the wrong ways for all the wrong reasons. in a nother dimension where nintendo made the right choices i would LOVE mario instead of just being ok with it. same with zelda and all the other, and everyone agrees with me also including jeff gerstmans. everyone knows nintendo goofed it bigtime and continues to goof it and will continue (if they make the wii u) forever and ever until the ppl who give into their gimmicks realize what dark spell theyre under.

Here's a quote from Jeff's review of Wii Sports Resort;

"Wii Sports Resort is more--much more--of what made you fall in love with the Wii in the first place."

http://www.giantbomb.com/wii-sports-resort/61-21098/reviews/

and hes talking to a 5 yr old .

The Giantbomb audience is a 5 year old?

no but the person who fell in love with the wii cause of wii sports is either a 5 yr old or has the mental capacity of an orc. which goes to show you that nintendo is sauron.

He was speaking about himself. So Jeff is a 5 year old and/or has the mental capacity of an orc.

i disagree i think jeff was talking to the demographic who is involved in that game cause he knows the people who would even consider PLAYING that game are one of those two types of people and thats who hes talking to.

Here's another quote from Jeff in the review you haven't read;

"You know what? It doesn't even need that layer of qualification. Wii Sports Resort is great."

Stop bickering, or I'm going to start deleting shit.

Moderator
#70 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11419 posts) -

No More Heroes is a great game though.

Also, Red Steel may be mediocre at best, but Red Steel 2 is one of the best games for the system, at least in terms of the use and quality of the motion controls (and the rest is pretty good too).

That's my two cents.

#71 Posted by mikey87144 (1810 posts) -

I've met two people just like that. You just look at them and ask yourself how they could only own a Wii and be happy. You talk to them for a bit and you hear the conviction in their voice and you leave the conversation understanding less about the person than you did before.

It isn't he fact that they enjoy those games that leave you confused, it's the fact you know they must be a hardcore gamer to have played them so surely they must have seen the plethora of great games available on the other two consoles. Plus the vastly superior visuals, and other stuff included with the consoles. So you ask the person and then yourself why only a Wii?

#72 Posted by JasonR86 (9762 posts) -

@Sweep:

Way to deal out justice!

...sorry, couldn't help myself.

#73 Edited by LitterAlley (17 posts) -

I think it's all been said by now but I'll throw in my 2 cents. The Wii is a great concept but tough to create fun games for. The same for the Playstation Move and Kinect. There are examples of successes, like the dance kinect crap. The Wii was popular because Wii sports was so engaging and adults could join in the fun. But Nintendo continues to let developers push out crap shovelware diluting their brand image. My idea for what will work in the future? Combine the technologies of the Wii/Sony Move with Kinect, and add in some virtual reality goggle that allow for peripheral vision. Of course this won't happen anytime soon.

[mod edit: unrelated video removed.]

#74 Edited by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@Narwhalist said:

Without reviews, the average person could get themselves into a lot of trouble buying whatever game looks neat, especially in the Wii aisle.

You know what, even without reviews, experienced gamers know exactly what to avoid in the Wii aisle. There is a lot of it and it is easy to spot. Just reading the box and seeing who made it screams clues. I can see the same thing in the 360 & PS3 aisle, especially with Move and Kinect.

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Hey guys, Wii games almost unanimously suck balls.

This is not a new development. Some people have bad taste.

Excellent contribution.

#75 Edited by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

@Narwhalist said:

Without reviews, the average person could get themselves into a lot of trouble buying whatever game looks neat, especially in the Wii aisle.

The kind of people who buy games because they look "neat" as you put it is not the kind of people who would read reviews anyway.

#76 Posted by Sweep (8947 posts) -

& - I gave you both a fair warning, yet you both seem determined to continue with this snide bullshit. If either of you attempt to further this stupid argument in this thread, or any other, then your accounts will be subject to moderation. Take my advice: Walk the fuck away.

Moderator
#77 Posted by Godak (166 posts) -

Well, at least Narwhalist and Hailinel can disagree while remaining civil. My hope in the internet hath been restored!*

And, yeah, the Wii has a lot of shovelware, but I do think that it has quality titles that make it worth a purchase. I'm just not sure if I like any of these quality titles. SUBJECTIVITY!

*Naaaaah.

#78 Posted by Hailinel (25199 posts) -

@Narwhalist said:

@Contrarian said:

@Hailinel said:

It means nothing to me. Not one bit. And it doesn't matter who I share my opinion with. What I enjoy is my business, and I don't seek validation through metacritic.

Glad to see someone here who understands what games are - something you enjoy and scores mean nothing when you enjoy a game. Also someone who is just comfortable with what they like, unemcumbered by the need to seek others support in what they do.

Again, you don’t need to justify games you like to anyone. I’m saying that, all things being equal, if someone asked me whether they should buy Samurai Warriors 3 or God of War III, I’d recommend God of War III. Obviously if they were a huge Samurai Warriors fan and knew exactly what they were getting into, then that changes things, but that’s a pretty small subset of the population.

Without reviews, the average person could get themselves into a lot of trouble buying whatever game looks neat, especially in the Wii aisle.

And on what basis would you recommend God of War III? Because it has a better metacritic rating? I'd base my recommendation on what I know of the tastes of the person in question. Do they like feudal Japan or Greek myth? Do they enjoy simple combat, or combat with a lot of Quick Time Events? Multiple protagonists that represent a spectrum of archetypes, or a single protagonist with a one-dimensional personality?

I will make my recommendation toward Samurai Warriors 3 in this case because that is the game that I personally prefer and can vouch for with the greatest ease, but I am aware of the criticisms that the series receives and always take that into account when making such recommendations. I don't live in a bubble, but I can at least make the argument in favor of the game. Reviews or no reviews, metacritic rating of 55 or 92, it makes no difference to me; if I can make a case for a game, then I'll make it.

I mean, hell, if I listened to reviews based on your apparent idea of how they should be followed, I'd have missed out on a number of games that I enjoyed regardless of the console they appeared on. I'd have never touched the likes of Metal Saga (62), or Clock Tower 3 (69), or Way of the Samurai 3 (58). Nope. It would only be safe, critic-approved titles with no sense of risk or reward based on my own preferences. God forbid I enjoy something that isn't a critical darling; more so if this supposed travesty exists on the Wii.

#79 Posted by DeF (4955 posts) -

if you don't care about being "hip" with the hot new stuff with all the bells and whistles, there's a lot of great stuff for you in the Wii library. The best thing about the Wii is that it brought us lots of "different" little games that wouldn't have been made or would've maybe landed on handhelds. Quirky ideas that don't make sense on other systems. It's the place to go if you want something different and weird.

Of course you'd have to either be very strong willed or shut out all the mainstream press 'cause eventually you'd just have to succumb to the shiny, blockbuster HD world.

#80 Posted by ItzAlwayzSunnyInHyrule (3 posts) -

I am, I guess what you could consider, a Wii enthusiast. I love it, it offers exactly what I want without the extra baggage, yet I feel its missing something.

I love my Wii, I have almost 30 games for it, and still continue to purchase more. They are cheap, fun and relatively easy to come by. The thing is, I know what I'm buying and those are all the high reviewed games, like just this weekend I purchased Sin and Punishment: Star Successor. This game was rated highly and it I, for one, believe it to be a quality game. My problem is that, I am not swarmed into the entire AAA, Call of Duty "this", Action/RPG "that" that you would typically find on the other two consoles, and I'm ok with that. Don't get me wrong, I loved my roommates XBox to death, with many games on the system I bought, even when it wasn't mine. And I did play Call of Duty and those other hyped up games, but I'm indifferent about them.

For me, the Wii feels like home. I prefer playing multiplayer games with 4 people in one room, not 16 people all over the world, and games like NSMB and SSBB can fulfill that, with the added bonus of playing with characters I've loved since basically birth. I am one of few who plays there Wii, and is far more dedicated to it than any other platform, and I'm not ashamed of that.

Sure, it may not be the "Go-to" console for when company is over, but we have a lot of fun playing games. For example, Mario Party 8. My friends and I call it a "Defriend Game", because we get so involved and put so much effort and fun into it, that after we're finished we're sick of one another and pissed off, but its all in fun and games and we have a blast doing so.

@I have never felt that playing any other console. I don't know. I'm for the Wii. I own all of the major releases (MH3, Okami, Epic Mickey, DKC Returns, Kirbys Epic Yarn, Red Steel 1 & 2, No More Heroes 1& 2, Golden Eye, Call of Duty, Sin and Punishment, Zelda TP and SS, RE4, RE Umbrella Chronicles, FFCC: Crystal Bearers, etc.), or they are in my cart on Amazon. Xenoblade is to come, and hopefully The Last Story

#81 Posted by Dalai (7053 posts) -
@DeF said:

if you don't care about being "hip" with the hot new stuff with all the bells and whistles, there's a lot of great stuff for you in the Wii library. The best thing about the Wii is that it brought us lots of "different" little games that wouldn't have been made or would've maybe landed on handhelds. Quirky ideas that don't make sense on other systems. It's the place to go if you want something different and weird.

Of course you'd have to either be very strong willed or shut out all the mainstream press 'cause eventually you'd just have to succumb to the shiny, blockbuster HD world.

That's what made the Wii for me so special. It was like this odd dumping ground for 3rd party experiments. Those games didn't sell millions, but they made an impact on the few that did.
#82 Posted by Hailinel (25199 posts) -

@Narwhalist said:

@Hailinel said:

And on what basis would you recommend God of War III? Because it has a better metacritic rating? I'd base my recommendation on what I know of the tastes of the person in question. Do they like feudal Japan or Greek myth? Do they enjoy simple combat, or combat with a lot of Quick Time Events? Multiple protagonists that represent a spectrum of archetypes, or a single protagonist with a one-dimensional personality?

I’m not sure you grasp the meaning of “all things being equal,” I get the sense you’ve got your own agenda about these two games, and you seem to be bending over backwards to debate a strawman version of my argument.

I’m pretty sure we agree on more than you think we do, but this could go on forever without us meeting in the middle — we’re going to have to agree to disagree.

When I make game recommendations, regardless of what games they are, I base them on my own thoughts and feelings about the game; not metacritic. The notion of all things being equal doesn't exactly play into that because I'm going to give any recommendation based on my subjective view of the matter. Not because of some standard bearer like Metactitic that's little more than a compilation of other subjective opinions.

#83 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Narwhalist said:

@Hailinel said:

And on what basis would you recommend God of War III? Because it has a better metacritic rating? I'd base my recommendation on what I know of the tastes of the person in question. Do they like feudal Japan or Greek myth? Do they enjoy simple combat, or combat with a lot of Quick Time Events? Multiple protagonists that represent a spectrum of archetypes, or a single protagonist with a one-dimensional personality?

I’m not sure you grasp the meaning of “all things being equal,” I get the sense you’ve got your own agenda about these two games, and you seem to be bending over backwards to debate a strawman version of my argument.

I’m pretty sure we agree on more than you think we do, but this could go on forever without us meeting in the middle — we’re going to have to agree to disagree.

When I make game recommendations, regardless of what games they are, I base them on my own thoughts and feelings about the game; not metacritic. The notion of all things being equal doesn't exactly play into that because I'm going to give any recommendation based on my subjective view of the matter. Not because of some standard bearer like Metactitic that's little more than a compilation of other subjective opinions.

When I make my game recommendations it usually based on my knowledge of the person I am talking to. If I don't know it, I try to get a sense of what they like. In that way I don't waste our time trying to talk them into something they probably won't like. I mean, I wouldn't scream "buy Fire Emblem, it will change your life" despite my passion for it. I am happy to say what I enjoyed, but it has to have a context to the person you are talking to.

#84 Posted by DeF (4955 posts) -

@Narwhalist said:

And to @DeF’s point, there’s a lot of weird, low-budget, cheap, quirky, and Wii-like in the best sense of the term downloadable (and retail) games on the 360 and PS3. Not to accuse you of doing this, but I hate the way people try to portray the libraries of systems based on a stereotypical game (e.g. 360 is for FPS dudebro games, Wii is for “kiddie” games, PS3 is for JRPGs and inferior 360 ports from 2007).

True, I don't like that either. I'd just say the primary reason for owning one of the other systems isn't the niche software but the well-polished, bigger budget traditional stuff. If you're an informed gamer and you only buy a Wii, you (should) know what you're getting into in that regard.

btw, the stereotype is "Nintendo is for kiddie games" :D I've been hearing that since the N64^^

On a sidenote, the difference in libraries makes me dread another new gen of consoles ... I don't wanna buy three new systems again :(

#85 Posted by kafu288 (15 posts) -

I hate this notion that because there are only 100 games that metacritic rates above a certain point for the Wii the console sucks. That's stupid. I've had a PS3 and a Wii for the last 3 years and there is no way that I would have played or owned 100 games on either system, although I rent a lot of games first and beat them that way (thank you Australian game market's policy of overcharging) so that stops me owning all but what I would consider "must haves"

The Wii has plenty of great games. DeBlob (probably the most relaxing game I've ever played), Sid Meier's Pirates! (a really good port), Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure, Monster Hunter: Tri, Resident Evil 4: Wii edition, Conduit 1/2, Goldeneye 007, Bloom Blox, Okami, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Red Steel 2, No More Heroes 1/2, Dead Space Extraction, Final Fantasy 4: The After Years, World of Goo, Little King's Story... There's 18 third party games for the Wii that are great fun to play and have reviewed well. You throw that in with the great Nintendo first party games and the Virtual Console and the WiiWare, particularly the adventure games (they control better with a console) and I for one can definitely see why someone would only play stuff on Wii.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.