Which game do you feel deserves to win Wii Game of the Year?

#1 Posted by BisonHero (7070 posts) -

#2 Posted by BisonHero (7070 posts) -

I've tried to be someone who legitimately gave the Wii a shot, and tried to check out the interesting games available on the platform. But as someone who is legitimately trying, I am sorry to report that almost nothing of relevance has come out in the 12 months that have passed since Holiday 2010 (which had Kirby's Epic Yarn and Donkey Kong Country Returns). It makes for a bit of a weird GotY discussion when it comes to Wii games.

So without further ado, I have compiled a list of pretty much every exclusive Wii game from the past year that is even remotely playable (only including games released in North America in 2011). Make your choice.

#3 Posted by NTM (7549 posts) -

I like the Wii, but it's really the only system I pay least attention to, so I wouldn't know about most of the games to come out other than the big ones, and the only game I really know about on the Wii that's probably going to get the vote is Zelda.

#4 Posted by LiquidPrince (16181 posts) -

This is not even a competition... Zelda.

#5 Posted by Vexxan (4614 posts) -

Haven't played any of those but I can't imagine the answer being anything but Zelda. 

#6 Posted by mac_n_nina (272 posts) -

The only good Wii game that came out in 2011, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

#7 Posted by Barrock (3553 posts) -

Wipeout of course. ;)

#8 Posted by Driam (168 posts) -

Now that they've patched it, MW3 would probably be my pick. Still need to play more Zelda, though.

#9 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Xenoblade says fuck you all.

#10 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11415 posts) -

Skyward Sword. I mean, has anything else even come out? [Looks at other games in poll.] Nope. Only Zelda.

#11 Posted by GentlemanlyGentleman (320 posts) -

@Meowayne said:

What he said.

#12 Posted by bibamatt (1090 posts) -

Yeah, the Wii's had Zelda and Xenoblade this year, which are both high on my top ten overall games of the year.

So yeah, Xenoblade says fuck y'all.

#13 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

@GentlemanlyGentleman said:

@Meowayne said:

What he said.

Xenoblade wasn't released in North America. That's why a lot of us hadn't played it or hardly heard of it.

#14 Posted by BisonHero (7070 posts) -

@Claude said:

@GentlemanlyGentleman said:

@Meowayne said:

What he said.

Xenoblade wasn't released in North America. That's why a lot of us hadn't played it or hardly heard of it.

Correct, and I did specifically state in my first post that I only included games that had been released in North America. I'm sure Xenoblade is a fine game, but I myself live in Canada, the staff of this site live in America, and I would wager that a good majority of the site's users also reside in North America. Xenoblade isn't a game that any of us can easily play, and there's always the small chance that it will somehow get released in 2012, so for both of those reasons I didn't include it in this poll.

Also, I'm curious to know more about the people who voted for "Other", since I feel like I covered the most likely candidates. Maybe they're all Xenoblade votes, but I'd be curious to know if people are thinking of some other game.

#15 Posted by mariokart64fan (366 posts) -

driver 5 mw3 zelda kirby are contenders

#16 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

How is this even a poll, the game that is Zelda's only competitor is not even on the list!

#17 Posted by MidgardDragon (151 posts) -

If Xenoblade is an option: Xenoblade. If not, then Skyward Sword.

#18 Edited by MidgardDragon (151 posts) -

@mac_n_nina said:

The only good Wii game that came out in 2011, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

Correction, the only good Wii game that came out in the US. And hell not even that is true, as Kirby's Return to Dream Land was good too. However Xenoblade is better than both of them, and if any of you have the ability to read instructions now is the perfect time to softmod your Wii and import, seeing as nothing else worthwhile will be coming out for the Wii ever, most likely, at this point.

Oh Lost in Shadow wasn't too shabby either, just forgettable enough that I forgot it existed.

#19 Posted by Patman99 (1620 posts) -

I feel like Zelda is the only option. I mean it is the only game I'd be willing to plug my Wii back in for. Zelda should take all of the top five spots. Not because it was an exceptional game but just because it was damn near the only one.

Kirby gets an honourable mention.

#20 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

lol, the wii

#21 Posted by awadnin (275 posts) -

@RsistncE said:

lol, the wii

#22 Posted by bibamatt (1090 posts) -

if any of you have the ability to read instructions now is the perfect time to softmod your Wii and import, seeing as nothing else worthwhile will be coming out for the Wii ever, most likely, at this point.

It takes about fifteen minutes and you can play the best Wii game this year (one of the best games on any platform) that isn't called Zelda. Doooooo it.

#23 Posted by familyphotoshoot (654 posts) -

It's kind of sad what a joke the Wii has turned into.

#24 Posted by SMTDante89 (2588 posts) -
#25 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Jerry rice

#26 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@LiquidPrince said:

This is not even a competition... Zelda.

No, it is.

#27 Posted by Deusx (1910 posts) -

@Meowayne said:

This.

#28 Posted by Commisar123 (1798 posts) -

I've only played one this year so it has to be Skyward Sword

#29 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
#30 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Xenoblade confirmed today for NA release. There you go.

#31 Posted by Neferon (262 posts) -

Xenoblade Chronicles, hands down. Though I like Skyward Sword so far. Xenoblade seems succesful at pursuing something much more ambitious though. Some of the environments are absolutely stunning.

#32 Posted by Galiant (2195 posts) -

I don't own a Wii, but looking at the line-up I'd still say Skyward Sword...which I have no interest in playing anyway.

#33 Posted by Hector (3381 posts) -

... and Zelda wins by a landslide victory!

#34 Posted by Dalai (7074 posts) -

@Meowayne said:

So it will be the 2012 Wii Game of the Year.

But it's 2011 in North America and this year, it goes to Skyward Sword.

#35 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

Xenoblade.

Zelda is really hurt by it's repetition and controls, in my opinion.

#36 Posted by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (428 posts) -

@Dalai said:

@Meowayne said:

We must realize that this will mean Xenoblade will theoretically be able to win Wii GOTY for two years. :P

And at the same time- this setup means that both games will most likely get some Wii GOTY glory of their own. :) (In the US at least)

#37 Posted by BisonHero (7070 posts) -

@Dalai said:

@Meowayne said:

Thank you for being one of the few people who actually understood the intent of my poll. I outlined pretty clearly in my first post that I was only including 2011 games that were released in North America. I do look forward to giving Xenoblade a go next year, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.