Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Who're the ones that stuck with the Wii from the beginning?

• 54 results
    EleFlameMax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By EleFlameMax

I cannot claim that I am one of your number. My first of the Next-gen consoles was the 360, and I began to desire the Wii around the time that craze was going through the American cities to find the rare console. My father and I actually caught it as one dude was about to either put the last or first one either on stock or take it off. We were like, "ohh ohhh ohhhh, yo!" and then I had a wii. The games I had with it were, I admit, more worth my time and admiration than the ones I received with my 360 (MP3 and Super Paper Mario v. Quake 4 and CoD2), but I didn't keep up my interest with it and let some kids borrow my games, which they never bothered to return to me. Anyway, I recently used it to play some old gamecube games, as I lost the a/v cables for my gamecube, and I was feeling a bit nostalgic. 

So, here's my question. With the exception of you MrChup0n, as I know too well how you stand on this matter (:), I'd like to know who were fervently amped up for the release of the wii, and who stuck with it through the launch and paid attention and time to its several quality titles, and what that's been like that. Humorous accounts are encouraged.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I am not one of them.  I had gotten the Wii a couple of weeks after it launched by waiting in line outside of a Best Buy for 5 hours in the cold Canadian winter and I was really happy that day.  But, as time went on, I found myself admiring the games of the Xbox 360/PS3 and wishing that I could play those instead of the limited number of quality games for the Wii.  That's when I sold it, got myself a 360 and never looked back (not true, but I don't regret it all that much).

goodlucktj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By goodlucktj

http://dailyiowegian.com/local/x519469510/The-high-price-for-new-technology?keyword=secondarystory 

oddly enough, i covered both the ps3 and wii launches for the local paper. i purchased a wii that tuesday launch morning after i took a few photos and wrote down a few quotes. it's great to re-read what i wrote: so many people were convinced the ps3 would be scalp-city. in the end, the wii proved to be the much harder console to bring home.

as for me, i casually walked in around 7 a.m. and joined the line of people who had been waiting most of the night for one. they were only selling the console, no separate games, which meant i had to drive another hour to buy 'twilight princess'. 

to answer your question: yes, i bought one on launch day.  i bought it out of loyalty and love for nintendo products, and have never regretted my purchase. that being said, for everything the wii did right in marketing and sales numbers, i couldn't help but feel bittersweet about the victory. it led all consoles in sales, but not because of the reasons it should have (or at least, not because of the reasons i wanted it to 'win'). 

to qualify: i own a 360 and a wii. i have love for all three systems and would gladly own a ps3 when my budget can call for it.

EleFlameMax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EleFlameMax
    @goodlucktj: Do you feel as if that failure has to do with they're not placing emphasis in their development on the very inventive ways the wii-mote and nunchuk could be used? I think I heard this dicussion on the Trigames podcast, but wherever the sentiment lies, I generally agree. Although I'm cool with the wii just being there to let fun games-games be released, I crave that new exprience, and that heat that rushes through you when you're exposed to a lot of ingenuity for you to admire. 

Also, stranger, listen to this, by Phoenix.
    Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Jothel

got one on launch day, sold it after i'd played through super mario galaxy, so didnt have it super long

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

Bought the Wii at midnight, had ome fun with it here and there, but it is by far the least played system hooked up to my television at the moment.  I will never get rid of it, because of titles like Mario Galaxy and Metroid, but the titles I want are too few and far in between at the moment.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By skrutop

It's funny; I wanted the Wii so badly when it came out.  I remember being at the Nintendo World Store in NYC, where they actually had a bunch during the period when you couldn't find them anywhere.  For some reason, I didn't get one.  By the time that they were actually available, though, I completely lost interest and never bothered to pick one up.

CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By CandleJakk

The Wii was the first current gen console that I got, and was excited to get. Whilst it has fallen a bit short of expectations, there are a few titles that have made it very much worth keeping, but I have switched to the 360 as my main console now.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By ProfessorEss

I didn't like it when it was released, and I still don't. 
    I borrowed my friend's thinking "maybe I just have to get used to it".
    I got used to it, still didn't like it, and it hasn't been touched in months - my friend also seems to be in no rush to get it back.

I'm to the point now that I don't think there's anything that would make me buy one.

AdvanceStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AdvanceStrat

I had to get mine a few months after it came out thanks to all the shortages in the area.  There could stand to be a few more good games in the market, or at least a better screening process to lower the amount of shovelware to make the good ones stand out more, but I've been rather happy with the games I've gotten for the system. 

If I had the money to throw out, I'd probably get myself both the other consoles as well, just because there's always going to be something good you'll want on any system, but realistically speaking I don't have the money to do that.  

I've got myself a decent gaming computer so I've never felt the need to get myself an Xbox.  I don't really need a whole media center, and there's not enough games on the PS3 that will make me want to pay how much stuff for it costs, so I'm quite happy with the Wii I have for a system to play some games on. 

Now to head home from work and play some Metroid Trilogy, and wishing I knew others with it to get green tokens with.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LiquidPrince

I bought a Wii a couple months ago. Played maybe a week, and haven't touched it since.

Dominoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dominoes

I have since the beginning. Had to camp outside of a Future Shop in the cold Canadian winter to get mine. 

Definitely worth the wait. Putting in Zelda after waiting so long felt real good, and on a new system to boot.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Hailinel

I was fortunate enough to be working as a tester at Nintendo of America when the Wii launched and was able to buy one at the NOA company store, along with Zelda and Trauma Center:  Second Opinion.  Still own it, still play it regularly, and my Wii game collection keeps getting bigger.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By apathylad

The Wii is the only console I bought at launch this generation.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Meowayne

Bought it at launch. Went through the same trench of depression in the first year, was close to selling it, didn't. Have since enjoyed it a lot and keep playing it to this day.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By JJWeatherman

I wasn't able to get one until after they were "findable" since I didn't want to dedicate who knows how many potentially fruitless midnights to waiting in line. But yeah, I've never really stopped playing it. I try to keep up with all the major releases, but I've missed a good few of those.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Romination

I totally did. Got it a month after it came out, got some amazing games at launch, and never stopped defending it. It has some extremely hard hitters that finally make people stop talking about "for a Wii game" and start talking about it as a great game. I was actually rather proud that Giantbomb considered Shattered Memories for its GOTY last year because it feels like people are finally using it in a way that everyone can get behind.

krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By krystians

I bought mine the very first day it came out. I remember the day very well. I left my house at around 3am, and when I got to my local futureshop I was 63rd in line. I purchased the console as well as legend of Zelda. Good times I tell you. And yes I still the little white system. I also have an xbox which I bought 2 years after the Wii.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By Claude

I got my Wii on launch day. Loved it ever since, my favorite console not only this gen, but of all-time. So many great times have been had, I can't begin to count.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Afroman269

I'm sorta one, I picked one up around launch, sold a year later, and bought again a year later.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I was baffled and intrigued when the Wii's controller was first revealed, but I thought it seemed pretty brilliant. I've always been a big Nintendo fan, so I supported the idea. I ended up getting a Wii on launch day (and to give you an idea of how big the Wii launch was... when the Gamecube launched, I was 1st in line at my local Best Buy, whereas with the Wii I was 79th). I can't say I'm still a supporter, though. The controls just weren't there. I don't know, I still haven't tried Motion Plus but my interest in the Wii has completely dwindled. I've gone periods of almost a year without playing it. Of the games I've played, most are just boggled down by poor controls or just aren't worth playing. There's been a few gems, but not enough to keep me enthiastic about the Wii. For like a year, I tried finding an awesome kid to just give my Wii to, but it just never happened. With DKC Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Goldeneye, and the new Zelda game coming out, I guess I'm kind of glad I still have it.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Bought it on launch day along with a copy of Twilight Princess. I owned a 360 and ps3 before that but since I rarely bought ps3 games and my 360 collection was mainly filled with shooters I wanted something different. Twilight Princess was a lot of fun and was a good 40 hours it took to beat the game. Unfortunately between TP and Super Mario Galaxy there weren't many good games, just mini game compilations or ports with bad use of Wii remote. Now had the Wii came out in 2005 when I was still a huge fan of Nintendo and I would have loved the Wii. 

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By Meowayne

Unfortunately between TP and Super Mario Galaxy there weren't many good games

How is this still going around? It baffles me.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#25  Edited By Hailinel
    @Meowayne said:
    "

How is this still going around? It baffles me. "
    Some people are willfully ignorant to such a degree that they fail to learn any new trolling tactics and just keep going with the default out of reflex.
    ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ShadowKing7

I got mine for Christmas in 2007.  I've never gotten systems at launch date, so make of that what you will.  However, I still play it and enjoy it, whether it be the disc releases, VC or WiiWare.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Got it launch day, played it a lot, got most of the big releases and I can't wait for the 3DS.

Nintendo! <3

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By KingBroly

Me.  However I've had a few Wiis repaired.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By Dalai

Bought mine in the beginning of '07 and it's still my only current gen home console. I still play it regularly.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30  Edited By Geno

I got mine in 2006, but does buying the games and playing them on Dolphin emulator count? 

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31  Edited By DrRandle

I still have my Wii, and I'm still enjoying it to this day. Kirby's Epic Yarn is a fantastic alternative after Fallout and Fable drive me crazy with glitches and bugs. The thing's starting to get worn out or something though. It overheats just from sitting there, not even on, just plugged in. Need to have Nintendo look at it when I get the chance; my DS as well. Personally the console that's really not doing anything for me is the PS3 right now. A few shiny exclusives, but everything else is just so... Well I have a 360, so there we go.

Infamous was crap.

Asteroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Asteroth

I have a wii and a 360 and I think they're both great.  We still bowl and play party games on the Wii when we all get together.  For me, though, I play my DS more than the other two put together.  Nintendo always has high quality, I just wish the 3rd party games were up to the same standard.

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Shaanyboi

Got mine at launch.   Camped out for it and everything with a group of friends.  REALLY fun night.  Had it exclusively for 2 years until 2008 when I broke up with my gf, was super depressed and figured I'd console myself with a new console (see what I did there?).  Got my 360, and since then I've been on and off with the Wii.  I'll play it when something quirky or unique comes out like Boy and his Blob, No More Heroes, Mario Galaxy 2.  But it's not what I turn on everynight.  I missed out on too many awesome games.  I only finally played Mass Effect 1 and 2 this summer.   

I still will play the Wii on occasion for something specific, but it's not my normal console anymore.  

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By zityz

I bought mine launch day. Best and worst day ever. Will also never again buy something on launch. Still have it and still use it from time to time. Its a good system to have as a on the side system for your nintendo needs.

GiveUpNed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GiveUpNed

I game, but am more of a PC gamer. The only PC game I play is SC2. It sucks :( I have so many games I want to play, but I don't have the time.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By trophyhunter

Hows that working out for ya?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#37  Edited By Icemael
    @Meowayne said:
    "

How is this still going around? It baffles me. "
    Especially since you never see anyone going "the Playstation 3 ain't got no games, lol" anymore. It's like people ignore Wii exclusives regardless of whether they are hardcore or casual, niche or mainstream, critically acclaimed or berated, simply on account of them being Wii exclusives.
    Etrian_Oddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Etrian_Oddity

I was on the bandwagon when the "Revolution" controller was first revealed by Iwata. Got my Wii at launch, and have never regretted it since. In fact, it was my only current-gen console for a good three years!

The industry let it down in terms of support, but despite this the console still has some of my all-time favorites. I love Twilight Princess despite its flaws, MadWorld was a great game from Platinum, and I absolutely worship the ground No More Heroes walks on (I was disappointed by the sequel, however).    

In short, I've had my Wii since launch, and even though there have been times when I stuck it in the closet, the thought never crossed my mind of selling it. I love the thing.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

As long as Mario is only on Nintendo consoles, I will inevitably have to buy all future Nintendo consoles.

sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40  Edited By sopachuco13

I've had mine since day one. I went with my nephew to wait in line, I wasn't even going to buy one on launch day. But, by the time the doors opened I talked myself into it. I bought it from Target with a check. I didn't even have enough money in my account to clear the check, but it all worked out in the end. Twilight Princess was the first game that I bought and I still haven't finished it. But, I have finished many other games for the Wii.

demonkd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By demonkd

ive had my wii since lauch day i didnt start to play it much untill last year but this year it has the most play time out of all my systems.
    Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Vextroid

Bought one after my first 360 died. Had fun with it, homebrewed it. But when I had enough money I got rid of it and all the games I had for it for a PS3. 

Buth with SMG2, Epic Mickey, Goldeneye, Kirby Epic Yarn and Donkey Kong I want another one. Plus I miss Punch Out!! Wii.
    jamesisaacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jamesisaacs

Although i don't have a Wii..yet, i still favour it over the people who think it has no game. I picked out around 30-40 none import games that i like off of Amazon UK.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I haven't heard the word "who're" in ages. 
    That's one apostrophe away from being inappropriate.  

Me and my brother obtained a Wii near launch and our activity with it is much like a wave marked by periods of activity, either by playing a Wii or gamecube game, then periods of it remaining in its box for months at a time. Recently, I played Kirby's Epic Yarn, (OMG SO CUTE) so my Wii is out of its box.

David

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By David

Bought it on launch day and have had it ever since though I now also have a Xbox 360.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By EpicSteve

I bought mine at launch, and only play major releases. It's mainly used as a paper weight.

Pickingwings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Pickingwings

I remember at the announcement of the Wii I was really excited for, not only a cheap system, but being able to use motion controls just like mostly everyone else.   I had finally convinced my dad to go and preorder the system at my local game store, but of course I had to wait a few months after launch  for my turn of buying a Wii.  

For two years I was a huge fan for the Wii, buying most of the major titles such as Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3, and Twilight Princess, but then I convinced my dad to buy me s 60gb PS3, because of the news they would stop making those, and from then on out I would be mostly buying games for my PS3, and occasionally buy some cheap, good games for the Wii.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By toowalrus

I had a Wii around me, and available for play since the beginning... but of course I bought games for other systems during the long periods where 95% of the Wii games coming out were absolute dogshit.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49  Edited By demontium

HEYO 

@Claude: You love your goddamned wii

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Aus_azn

Camped on release night, defected to 360 less than 6 months later.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.