Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Why the Wii is a Fantastic Console

• 138 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Godwind

In this video, I will explain why the Wii is a fantastic Console.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Godwind

In this video, I will explain why the Wii is a fantastic Console.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MysteriousBob

YouTube spam. The Wii is useless. What this fat bloke doesn't seem to realise is that you buy a console to play new games, not half arsed ports with stupid motion controls of old games.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Bones8677

Watched the whole first part. I can assume you will not be covering software sales in relation to hardware sales nor the common demographic that is drawn to the Wii? 

I'm not gonna lie, there's a lot of stuff you said in that video that I determinately disagree with. Also, mii support is one of the reasons why the console is great, seriously? 

Also why are you even defending the Wii, when Nintendo clearly doesn't give a crap about you? If they did, then they would release a steady number of quality titles throughout the year like with the other consoles rather than spitting shovel ware designed to make a quick buck?

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Yukoei

DS is better.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bones8677
    @Yukoei: Hell, Telltale says the iPhone is more powerful than the wii.  hehe
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Yukoei
    @Bones8677 said:
    " @Yukoei: Hell, Telltale says the iPhone is more powerful than the wii.  hehe "
    Lol, but I'm serious about the DS being better >_>
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Whisperkill
    @Bones8677 said:
    " @Yukoei: Hell, Telltale says the iPhone is more powerful than the wii.  hehe "
    That's because it is.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Godwind
    @MysteriousBob said:

" YouTube spam. The Wii is useless. What this fat bloke doesn't seem to realise is that you buy a console to play new games, not half arsed ports with stupid motion controls of old games. "

Hardly Youtube spam. The issue was created to address spam topics.

Last time I checked, used games have been part of the gaming market, no?  A port is only as good as the developer behind it.  In fact, there are ports that use motion controls in a really fantastic way eg: Resident Evil 4, Okami, Bully and so forth.

Also, new games are always coming out for every console that continues to be supported by the manufacturer.

@Bones8677 said:

" Watched the whole first part. I can assume you will not be covering software sales in relation to hardware sales nor the common demographic that is drawn to the Wii? "

1) The Software sales do not equate to the quality of the product.  It represents the popularity of the product.
       2) The Demographic doesn't concern me because it has nothing to do with the quality of a product.  Demographics are for people trying to chase sales.

@Bones8677 said:

"  I'm not gonna lie, there's a lot of stuff you said in that video that I determinately disagree with. Also, mii support is one of the reasons why the console is great, seriously? "

Disagree with what?  That is hardly a statement of any kind.  Probably because you have nothing to say about it in reality.

Feel free to explain why Mii's don't enhance the quality of the product.

@Bones8677 said:

" Also why are you even defending the Wii, when Nintendo clearly doesn't give a crap about you? If they did, then they would release a steady number of quality titles throughout the year like with the other consoles rather than spitting shovel ware designed to make a quick buck? "

I wouldn't call the video I made a "defense for the Wii."  As for "Nintendo doesn't give a crap" is silly since they make products designed to be sold to people.  If Nintendo didn't care, the consumer would likely also not care in return.

I don't know where you get the "shovelware" statement from because Nintendo has been releasing games year after year which critics have been acceptable to.

I will say that Nintendo had a weak year in 2009 but I believe that Nintendo has been delivering strong content for every year and for the years to come.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By End_Boss
    Sigh. Man, you guys almost made it to the weekend without a Wii defense thread.

Maybe next week.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By toowalrus

You know, I went through all 700+ Wii games on Gamefly and made an excel spreadsheet with the Wii games I'm interested in playing. (I've been wanting a Wii for awhile now... not sure why.) Anyway, there are about 30 quality games. Out of over 700.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Ace829
    @TooWalrus said:
    " You know, I went through all 700+ Wii games on Gamefly and made an excel spreadsheet with the Wii games I'm interested in playing. (I've been wanting a Wii for awhile now... not sure why.) Anyway, there are about 30 quality games. Out of over 700. "
    You should make a list about it. I've been trying to find games that would appeal to me on that system. I only have a little over 10 games.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @MysteriousBob said:

" What this fat bloke doesn't seem to realise"

@MysteriousBob said: 

"  this fat bloke"

@MysteriousBob said: 

"  fat bloke"

@MysteriousBob said: 

"  fat"

@MysteriousBob said: 

" f-a-t "

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By End_Boss
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Congratulations on your remarkable ability to completely skirt the issue at hand whilst using tired internet memes to throw cheap shots at the originator of the thread.

Have fun at dinner.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#14  Edited By AgentJ
    @Yukoei said:
    " @Bones8677 said:
    Lol, but I'm serious about the DS being better >_> "
    It's hard to be better than the DS.
    @TooWalrus said:
    " You know, I went through all 700+ Wii games on Gamefly and made an excel spreadsheet with the Wii games I'm interested in playing. (I've been wanting a Wii for awhile now... not sure why.) Anyway, there are about 30 quality games. Out of over 700. "

And since no one is forcing you to play the other 670 games, that number might as well just be 30, right?
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15  Edited By Geno
    @AgentJ said:

@TooWalrus said:

And since no one is forcing you to play the other 670 games, that number might as well just be 30, right? "
    Not really; he's only interested in the 30, if he were to play them all, probably something like 10 would actually be ones he enjoyed. Not only is that a small number, but it also emphasizes that there are just so many more quality games found on other systems. 30 interesting games is pretty much par for the course in a quarter or two on other systems (for me, but probably many others as well), so something like 30 for a 4-year period on the Wii is quite disappointing.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ProfessorEss

I have a real hard time getting to 30.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AgentJ
    @Geno said:
    " @AgentJ said:

@TooWalrus said:

And since no one is forcing you to play the other 670 games, that number might as well just be 30, right? "
    Not really; he's only interested in the 30, if he were to play them all, probably something like 10 would actually be ones he enjoyed. Not only is that a small number, but it also emphasizes that there are just so many more quality games found on other systems. 30 interesting games is pretty much par for the course for a quarter or two for other systems (for me, but probably many others as well), so something like 30 for a 4-year period on the Wii is quite disappointing. "
    Sorry, since I actually have enjoyed about 30 games on the Wii, I just assumed he would too. I think its disingenuous to say that 30 interesting games come out in a quarter or two for other consoles (unless you play each and every one of the First Person Shooters that come out, which would be akin in my mind to playing each of the Wii minigame compilations). I have 20 games for the 360, each of which I enjoy very much. Beyond what I own for it (20) and the WIi (26) there are 18 wii games I plan on buying; pretty close to the 15 for the 360. The two are equal, at least from where I'm standing.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @AgentJ said:
    I think its disingenuous to say that 30 interesting games come out in a quarter or two for other consoles
    Yeah, that is a pretty drastic exaggeration.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Cube

The mere fact you felt the need to make these videos in the first place is evident enough that the Wii isn't a great console. 

KennyPowers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KennyPowers

I enjoy the WIi, but I refuse to watch anything made by somone with anime tits as an avatar

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By Willy105
    @Bones8677 said:
    " Watched the whole first part. I can assume you will not be covering software sales in relation to hardware sales nor the common demographic that is drawn to the Wii?   I'm not gonna lie, there's a lot of stuff you said in that video that I determinately disagree with. Also, mii support is one of the reasons why the console is great, seriously?   Also why are you even defending the Wii, when Nintendo clearly doesn't give a crap about you? If they did, then they would release a steady number of quality titles throughout the year like with the other consoles rather than spitting shovel ware designed to make a quick buck? "
    I am entirely convinced this post is a joke. 

Seriously, there is no way.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " YouTube spam. The Wii is useless. What this fat bloke doesn't seem to realise is that you buy a console to play new games, not half arsed ports with stupid motion controls of old games. "
    Coming soon to PS3.  omg where do the real gamers go sadface
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By Willy105
    @ryanwho said:

" @MysteriousBob said:

Coming soon to PS3.  omg where do the real gamers go sadface "

Pay no attention to the System Wars lingo, even though it's embarrassing that something like this applies here on Giantbomb.
     Pay no attention to the System Wars lingo, even though it's embarrassing that something like this applies here on Giantbomb.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ryanwho

I think the 'real hardcore gamer' idea of doing something is raging on the internet and doing nothing else. I hope having to pull double duty on typing loudly now doesn't give anybody heart problems.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By Evilsbane

You make some decent points but at the end of the day the Wii has no significant advantages over the other two systems.

Both Have better graphics (by FAR)
    Both have better online services
    Both have High Quality third party games in abundance
    Better Controls (Yea argue all you want Waggle is retarded)
    You can watch DvDs and/or Bluray (Which does matter I use both my 360 and PS3 as Players constantly)
    HD Netflix (And the integrated Netflix on the 360 is the best thing ever made) 
    Achievements and Trophies 
    Did I mention the graphics? Because Damn have you seen God of War 3?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ryanwho
    @Cube said:
    " The mere fact you felt the need to make these videos in the first place is evident enough that the Wii isn't a great console.  "

Well I guess you have more time now, with your genius logic train. All consoles are not great, random people made videos. So smart. You're going places.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ryanwho
    @Evilsbane said:

" You make some decent points but at the end of the day the Wii has no significant advantages over the other two systems.  Both Have better graphics (by FAR) Both have better online services Both have High Quality third party games in abundance Better Controls (Yea argue all you want Waggle is retarded) You can watch DvDs and/or Bluray (Which does matter I use both my 360 and PS3 as Players constantly) HD Netflix (And the integrated Netflix on the 360 is the best thing ever made)  Achievements and Trophies  Did I mention the graphics? Because Damn have you seen God of War 3? "

PC has all those things and better graphics. Wuh oh. Oh but game PCs cost 5000 dollars to make right retard. Yeah okay.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Geno
    @AgentJ said:

" @Geno said:

" @AgentJ said:

@TooWalrus said:

Not really; he's only interested in the 30, if he were to play them all, probably something like 10 would actually be ones he enjoyed. Not only is that a small number, but it also emphasizes that there are just so many more quality games found on other systems. 30 interesting games is pretty much par for the course for a quarter or two for other systems (for me, but probably many others as well), so something like 30 for a 4-year period on the Wii is quite disappointing. "
    Sorry, since I actually have enjoyed about 30 games on the Wii, I just assumed he would too. I think its disingenuous to say that 30 interesting games come out in a quarter or two for other consoles (unless you play each and every one of the First Person Shooters that come out, which would be akin in my mind to playing each of the Wii minigame compilations). I have 20 games for the 360, each of which I enjoy very much. Beyond what I own for it (20) and the WIi (26) there are 18 wii games I plan on buying; pretty close to the 15 for the 360. The two are equal, at least from where I'm standing. "
    Well, let's look at what's come out or coming out From Jan. 1 2010 to July 1. 2010 and see if my claim is disingenuous (note that these games are what I found interesting; not necessarily all of them are good but I think you will recognize most of them). You will note that actually very few are first person shooters: 

AAA
    - Mass Effect 2
    - Heavy Rain
    - Bayonetta
    - Metro 2033
    - Red Dead Redemption
    - God of War 3
    - Darksiders 
    - Dragon Age Awakening 
    - Army of Two 40th Day
    - Serious Sam HD
    - Battlefield Bad Company 2
    - Supreme Commander 2  
    - Bioshock 2
    - Dante's Inferno  
    - Napolean Total War 
    - Assassin's Creed 2 (PC)
    - Final Fantasy XIII   
    - MLB 2K10  
    - Dawn of War 2 Chaos Rising  
    - Command and Conquer 4   
    - Just Cause 2
    - GTA IV: Episodes (PC)
    - Splinter Cell Conviction  
    - Super Street Fighter IV
    - Lost Planet 2
    - Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
    - Blur
    - Modnation Racers
    - Alpha Protocol
    - Starcraft II   

- Divinity 2 Ego Draconis  
    - Perfect Dark XBLA
    - Darwinia Plus 
    - Zeno Clash (Xbox) 
    - Split Second   
    - Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing
    - Alien vs. Predator
    - Dark Void
    - Gyromancer
    - Global Agenda
    - Star Trek Online
    - Stalker Call of Pripyat
    - White Knight Chronicles
    - Tropico 3
    - Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
    - Risen
    - Anno 1404 Venice
    - Silent Hunter 5
    - Toy Soldiers
    - Resonance of Fate
    - Mount and Blade Warband
    - Nier

- 52 games (+countless mods and indie games on the PC, and DLC elsewhere)

Even subtracting out all of the exclusives for when looking at any given system, that list easily tops 30 no matter what system you're looking at. I would even be willing to bet that there are 30 pretty much guaranteed high quality titles in that list, and that's pretty much for less than half of 2010.

For the same period this is what I find interesting for the Wii (yes, I do own one):

- Pheonix Wright: Ace Attorney
    - No More Heroes 2
    - Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All Stars
    - Pheonix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All
    - Mega Man 10
    - Calling
    - Red Steel 2
    - Super Meat Boy  
    - Super Mario Galaxy 2
    - Metroid Other M
    - Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands

So 11 compared to 30+, in comparatively what is one of the better years for the Wii, and out of that only maybe 3-4 that can be considered AAA. No one is saying that there's nothing good on the Wii, it's just why scrounge around when you can find more and arguably better elsewhere?
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ryanwho

No its not disingenuous at all to include PS3 and 360 exclusives on the same list and compare them to a single console. Clearly you have fairness on your side. And I'll ignore the fact that you consider Army of 2 40th Day AAA because that's not a desperate stretch at all. Fair and balanced.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By End_Boss
    @Evilsbane said:
    • Both have more powerful processors and are able to render sharper graphics than the Wii.
    • Both offer the online gamer a smoother multiplayer experience.
    • Both have stronger third party support.
    • I can't fix this one, as its based completely on personal bias. Also, the two systems you're arguing for are both scrambling to incorporate motion technology into their control schemes. Deal with it.
    • The PS3 and 360 serve as multimedia devices, an area in which the Wii is noticeably lacking.
    • This point has more to do with its online offering and is thus a repeat.
    • The PS3 and 360 offer metagame scores via achievements and trophies as added incentive to play more games. The Wii has no such offering.
    Fixed.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Evilsbane
    @ryanwho said:

" @Evilsbane said:

" You make some decent points but at the end of the day the Wii has no significant advantages over the other two systems.  Both Have better graphics (by FAR) Both have better online services Both have High Quality third party games in abundance Better Controls (Yea argue all you want Waggle is retarded) You can watch DvDs and/or Bluray (Which does matter I use both my 360 and PS3 as Players constantly) HD Netflix (And the integrated Netflix on the 360 is the best thing ever made)  Achievements and Trophies  Did I mention the graphics? Because Damn have you seen God of War 3? "

PC has all those things and better graphics. Wuh oh. Oh but game PCs cost 5000 dollars to make right retard. Yeah okay. "
    Dude what? You edited your post and confused me. But yes I have my gaming PC 

(GTX260 1792mb, 12gb DDR3, Corei7 OCed to 3.3, 1000W PSU) 

And I just got BFBC2 and it kicks so much ass.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ryanwho
    @Evilsbane said: 

@ryanwho said: 

@Evilsbane said: 

PC has all those things and better graphics. Wuh oh. Oh but game PCs cost 5000 dollars to make right retard. Yeah okay. "
    Dude what? You edited your post and confused me. But yes I have my gaming PC   (GTX260 1792mb, 12gb DDR3, Corei7 OCed to 3.3, 1000W PSU)  And I just got BFBC2 and it kicks so much ass. "
    My only point was all of your points applied to the PC make the PC the best place to play games. So really this wii hate stuff is being propogated by a certain kind of gamer ignoring the (BY FAR) industry leader and (BY FAR) graphics leader and counting scanlines to determine who gets the silver medal.    
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AgentJ
    I got rid of the ones that I hadn't heard of or didn't consider to be AAA. Still a sizable list, until you remember that you are lumping togethe
    @Geno said:

"Well, let's look at what's come out or coming out From Jan. 1 2010 to July 1. 2010 and see if my claim is disingenuous (note that these games are what I found interesting; not necessarily all of them are good but I think you will recognize most of them): 

AAA
    - Mass Effect 2
    - Heavy Rain
    - Bayonetta
    - Metro 2033
    - God of War 3
    - Darksiders 
    - Dragon Age Awakening 
    - Army of Two 40th Day
    - Battlefield Bad Company 2
    - Bioshock 2
    - Dante's Inferno  
    - Assassin's Creed 2 (PC)
    - Final Fantasy XIII   
    - MLB 2K10  
    - Dawn of War 2 Chaos Rising  
    - Command and Conquer 4
    - Perfect Dark XBLA  
    - Just Cause 2
    - GTA IV: Episodes (PC)
    - Splinter Cell Conviction  
    - Super Street Fighter IV
    - Lost Planet 2
    - Modnation Racers
    - Alpha Protocol
    - Starcraft II   

- Split Second  
    - Alien vs. Predator
    - Dark Void
    - Star Trek Online
    - White Knight Chronicles
    - Tropico 3
    - Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
    - Risen
    - Silent Hunter 5
    - Resonance of Fate

~35 games

Even subtracting out all of the exclusives for when looking at any given system, that list easily tops 30 no matter what system you're looking at. I would even be willing to bet that there are 30 pretty much guaranteed high quality titles in that list, and that's pretty much for less than half of 2010. 

So yeah, if you combine

For the same period this is what I find interesting for the Wii (yes, I do own one):

- Pheonix Wright: Ace Attorney
    - No More Heroes 2
    - Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All Stars
    - Pheonix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All
    - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney Trials and Tribulations
    - Mega Man 10
    - Calling
    - Red Steel 2
    - Super Meat Boy  
    - Super Mario Galaxy 2
    - Metroid Other M
    - Cave Story
    - Trauma Team
    - Sakura Wars
    - Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
    - Monster Hunter Tri
    - Arc Rise Fantasia
    - Farwell Dreams: Legends of the Moon

So 10 compared to 30+, in comparatively what is one of the better years for the Wii, and out of that only maybe 2-3 that can be considered AAA. No one is saying that there's nothing good on the Wii, it's just why scrounge around when you can find more and arguably better elsewhere? "

I got rid of the ones that I hadn't heard of or didn't consider to be AAA, and then still more because a few could be found on the Wii (Anno and Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands). Still a sizable list, until you remember that you are lumping together PS3, 360 and PC exclusives. Sure, if you were to combine each of those consoles into one the resulting console would probably reach 30 games in two quarters that were worth purchasing. Even then, the 18 Wii EXCLUSIVES match up decently to the other consoles. That console would also cost upwards of 1000 dollars (considering the launch prices of each). Again, I would consider that disingenuous.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Evilsbane
    @End_Boss: The point about Netflix has Nothing to do with online offerings, the Wii is Incapable of outputting HD that is never going to change.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Geno: I missed the "a quarter or two" - which makes it more reasonable I suppose.

But to make your list more accurate you'd have to adjust for platform exclusives - the top list covers 3 platforms the Wii is just the Wii.

But I digress, I still stand a little more than I thought I would.

(...and DAMN there's some good shit in that first list!)
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#36  Edited By Icemael

I find that the Wii, while mediocre at best on its own, is fantastic as a complement to another console. See, it doesn't have a consistent stream of great releases like the other consoles, but when good games are released for it, good games are released for it. And when I say good, I mean some of the generation's best. Cases in point: Super Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure, Muramasa: The Demon Blade and many, many more. 

So while my Wii might collect dust most of the time, it offers some damn good -- and unique; you aren't going to find anything like Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 or Muramasa on the other consoles -- experiences whenever it's time to fire it up.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By frankxiv

i expected the OP to just be tumbleweed.gif

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AgentJ
    @Evilsbane said:
    " @End_Boss: The point about Netflix has Nothing to do with online offerings, the Wii is Incapable of outputting HD that is never going to change. "
    Cause every movie ever made was only made in HD? Netflix is considering bringing their services to the DSi, so HD is clearly not the problem.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Evilsbane
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Evilsbane said:
    " @End_Boss: The point about Netflix has Nothing to do with online offerings, the Wii is Incapable of outputting HD that is never going to change. "
    Cause every movie ever made was only made in HD? Netflix is considering bringing their services to the DSi, so HD is clearly not the problem. "
    It not having HD on anything is still a missing feature when compared to the other consoles, and they both can up convert, the Wii is stuck at 480p max and it can't even do that without the extra cables.
    hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#40  Edited By hinderk
    @Icemael said:
    " I find that the Wii, while mediocre at best on its own, is fantastic as a complement to another console. See, it doesn't have a consistent stream of great releases like the other consoles, but when good games are released for it, good games are released for it. And when I say good, I mean some of the generation's best. Cases in point: Super Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure, Muramasa: The Demon Blade and many, many more. 

So while my Wii might collect dust most of the time, it offers some damn good -- and unique; you aren't going to find anything like Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 or Muramasa on the other consoles -- experiences whenever it's time to fire it up. "
    This 

Some of my favorite games are on the wii, they just aren't released frequently enough to make the it my main console.
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By Ace829
    @Icemael said:
    " I find that the Wii, while mediocre at best on its own, is fantastic as a complement to another console. See, it doesn't have a consistent stream of great releases like the other consoles, but when good games are released for it, good games are released for it. And when I say good, I mean some of the generation's best. Cases in point: Super Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure, Muramasa: The Demon Blade and many, many more. 

So while my Wii might collect dust most of the time, it offers some damn good -- and unique; you aren't going to find anything like Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 or Muramasa on the other consoles -- experiences whenever it's time to fire it up. "
    This. I have my Wii nicely complementing my 360. While I play my 360 for mostly nig budget games like Mass Effect 2, Bad Company 2, and The Orange Box. I usually depend on the Wii and PS2 for my niche/unique/retro games like Kirby's Adventure, Persona 3, or Super Mario Galaxy.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AgentJ
    @Evilsbane said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @Evilsbane said:
    Cause every movie ever made was only made in HD? Netflix is considering bringing their services to the DSi, so HD is clearly not the problem. "
    It not having HD on anything is still a missing feature when compared to the other consoles, and they both can up convert, the Wii is stuck at 480p max and it can't even do that without the extra cables. "
    It is a missing feature, but is easily filed under the graphics section of your points. It's not something I've ever cared much about (see recenyt topic about Splinter Cell Conviction Demo and how "Dissapointing" the graphics are) but it is something that sets it apart from the other two consoles.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ryanwho

The average person still doesn't have internet fast enough to stream beyond 480p. The Wii is popular, once again lets remind the people that its winning for a reason beyond the rationalizations you make up, because its good enough for normal people. Normal people don't care about comparing their metaphorical gamer dick to other strangers, achievements aren't appealing. Chat is not appealing, for reasons made apparent by going on 360 chat. And doing things they can already do on their PC is kind of redundant. So really it just comes down to the games.  

The Wii is the most popular console so it has the most trash on it. That's how being most popular works, DS has a similar problem(though it does have more great games). I would say Wii's exclusives could go toe to toe with any other console's exclusives (and win, just from my preference as a fan of platformers and adventure games), the only significant advantage the PS360 have are multiplatform HD games that the Wii doesn't get. And some of those, like Dragon Age, lead heavily skewed toward the PC so really you're playing the lesser port.  

Bottom line is people are trying to frame less popular console x who's ripping off motion control as an objectively superior console and the numbers don't add up. If the numbers did add up, durr, they wouldn't be copying the Wii. Sure it may be better for "real" gamers, you know, people who don't like sidescrollers but love shooters with RPG elements or whatever the fuck, but that's a portion of the population.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Geno
    @ryanwho said:
    " No its not disingenuous at all to include PS3 and 360 exclusives on the same list and compare them to a single console. Clearly you have fairness on your side. And I'll ignore the fact that you consider Army of 2 40th Day AAA because that's not a desperate stretch at all. Fair and balanced. "
    Your reading skills are questionable once again. 

@AgentJ:
    Your reading skills seem to be suspect as well :/ . I mentioned that, taking the exclusives out when looking at any individual console still results in a list of 30. I merely put them in the same list due to laziness. For example: 

PS3 only:

Bayonetta
    Darksiders
    Dark Void
    MAG (forgot about this one)
    White Knight Chronicles
    Dante's Inferno
    Bioshock 2
    AvP
    Heavy Rain
    Sonic and Sega All Star Racing
    BFBC2
    MLB2K10
    Yakuza 3 (forgot about this one as well)
    Mega Man 10 (coming to PS3, didn't notice) 
    Resonance of Fate
    God of War 3
    Dragon Age Awakening
    Just Cause 2
    GTA IV Episodes
    Nier
    Super Street Fighter IV
    Skate 3 (forgot about this one)
    Split Second
    Lost Planet 2
    Red Dead Redemption
    Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands
    Blur 
    Modnation Racers
    Alpha Protocol 
    R.U.S.E.

= 30 games, first half of 2010.

In addition I didn't add PoP or Anno (or Sega All Stars Racing) to the Wii list because they're inferior versions. As far as I know they offer no significantly different gameplay mechanics, they just look a lot worse (if not then I'll change it). My opinion is that the Wii list remains at 10, but I'm reasonable and admit that there's a possibility I may have missed some titles, so I'll meet you in the middle and say 14. Even so, it results in about half the number of interesting titles compared to another system in what is a good year for the Wii. In addition, exterior to the numerical amount I would have to say that we are probably much more likely to see games such as Heavy Rain, Red Dead Redemption or Bayonetta up for Game of the Year than Pheonix Wright or JRPG ports which populate most of your list. The only game that might close to that caliber of quality on the Wii list is basically just Mario Galaxy 2, and perhaps Metroid. Again, good games exist on the Wii, but it's annoying that you have to go hunting for them.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#45  Edited By Icemael
    @Geno said:
    "In addition I didn't add PoP or Anno (or Sega All Stars Racing) to the Wii list because they're inferior versions. As far as I know they offer no significantly different gameplay mechanics, they just look a lot worse (if not then I'll change it)."
    The Wii version of Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands isn't a port. It's a bit confusing, seeing as it has the same name as the Prince of Persia coming out on PS3 and 360, but it's a different game --  a Wii exclusive, if you will -- with its own story, levels and mechanics.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AgentJ
    @Geno: Guess you haven't seen the Wii version of POP, since it not only looks great, but even comes with the original SNES game. 
    Since I didn't mention the PS3 earlier, here are the games I would consider = to the Wii list I made in quality.
     Bayonetta
    Darksiders
    MAG (forgot about this one)
    White Knight Chronicles
    Dante's Inferno
    Bioshock 2
    Heavy Rain 
    BFBC2
    MLB2K10
    Yakuza 3 (forgot about this one as well)  
    Resonance of Fate
    God of War 3
    Dragon Age Awakening
    Just Cause 2 
    Nier
    Super Street Fighter IV
    Skate 3 (forgot about this one)
    Split Second
    Lost Planet 2
    Blur 
    Modnation Racers 
    Now here's a list of games I'm actually interested in, which was my criteria for the wii list.
    Bayonetta
    White Knight Chronicles
    Dante's Inferno
    Heavy Rain 
    MLB10
    Yakuza 3
    Super Street Fighter 4
    Split Second
    Modnation Racers
    Even then, not all of these games are even close to GOTY quality.
    Bayonetta, SSF4 and Heavy Rain have a shot, but I sure was never of the opinion that Dark Void was in any sort of running for GOTY. Your standards seem to be different for each console, because there's even more for the Wii that could be on such a list but isn't likely to go anywhere, not to mention games that will be exactly the same between consoles.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Geno
    @Icemael said:

" @Geno said:

"In addition I didn't add PoP or Anno (or Sega All Stars Racing) to the Wii list because they're inferior versions. As far as I know they offer no significantly different gameplay mechanics, they just look a lot worse (if not then I'll change it)."

The Wii version of Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands isn't a port. It's a bit confusing, seeing as it has the same name as the Prince of Persia coming out on PS3 and 360, but it's a different game --  a Wii exclusive, if you will -- with its own story, levels and mechanics. "
    That's interesting, I'll change it then.

@AgentJ:
    I never implied that games such as Dark Void have a shot at GOTY; please read back. I said that the number of such games is greater on other systems; is there any other title on the Wii list besides Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid (and I believe that Metroid may be stretching it) that have a shot? I don't really think so.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By End_Boss

Alright, my final offering to this thread:

No Caption Provided
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AgentJ
    @Geno: By the way, you fault my list for having a bunch of JRPGs, but your list would be much shorter without all the shooters on yours, and nearly non existant if we also rid it of the action games. Don't discount a library just because its heavy in certain genres.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Geno
    @AgentJ: I didn't fault them for being JRPG's, that is just what they are. I'm merely saying that realistically, Arc Fatalis is probably not even going to be considered for being nominated for game of the year, anywhere. The point was about both the quantity and quality of games on the Wii compared to other systems; I can easily name close to half a dozen PS3 games that can reasonably be put up as game of the year from the first half of 2010 alone, the same can't be said of the Wii.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.