Why the Wii is a Fantastic Console

• 137 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -
@Dan_CiTi said:
"Where does he talk about the amazing piracy options?  "
Even that can be done better on other machines.
#102 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

I feel about these posts the way I feel about Jehovah's Witnesses and door-to-door salesmen. No need to be rude, just a firm decisive 'please go away and sell your Wii-vangelism elsewhere'.
I think what is fantastic about the console is its ability to spawn relatively articulate but equally misguided guardians who waste their time like so. The Xbox and the PS3 are fairly utilitarian exercises that don't seem to inspire such devotion, with the exception of those whose brains haven't formed properly.  If a single person buys a Wii because of your youtube video I will gladly go eat humble pie.  
Can't we just play and discuss video games, not lumps of plastic and circuits?

#103 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@KennyPowers said:
" I enjoy the WIi, but I refuse to watch anything made by somone with anime tits as an avatar "
They're not anime tits.  They're from some shitty American game cover I think.
#104 Posted by Xeiphyer (5602 posts) -
@jonnyboy said:
" @Dan_CiTi said:
"Where does he talk about the amazing piracy options?  "
Even that can be done better on other machines. "
Not really. The PS3 can't be hacked, and the 360 requires you to void your warrenty by opening it up to flash the firmware, it also requires DL DVDs to burn games.

Meanwhile the wii is impossibly easy to hack, you can play the hacked games online, they fit on regular DVDs, you can even download virtual console shit for free. You can also play games from USB or external HDD. 

So yeah, As far as piracy goes, The Wii is easiest and therefore better by far.

As far as the wii... its prettymuch garbage. I am a big nintendo fan, but there just aren't very many quality wii games in the market, and while the console is pretty cheap, buying all the accessories for it adds up extremely quickly. Luckily some games support gamecube controllers.. but it still sucks if me and some friends want to play some Mario Party or something that requires 4 wiimotes w/nunchuks.

I like to think of the wii as a secondary or supplimentary console, it has some great stuff, but for a 'hardcore gamer' it doesn't have nearly enough quality content to entertain us. So its best used in conjunction with a PS3 or 360.

Also, where are these figures coming from?! 30% failure rate for 360 is a lie, and 10% for PS3s is very wrong. The reason the wii lasts so long is because nobody ever turns it on.
#105 Posted by KennyPowers (247 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @KennyPowers said:
" I enjoy the WIi, but I refuse to watch anything made by somone with anime tits as an avatar "
They're not anime tits.  They're from some shitty American game cover I think. "
Either way, cartoon boobs = failing to acquire boobs in real life.
#106 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@KennyPowers said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @KennyPowers said:
They're not anime tits.  They're from some shitty American game cover I think. "
Either way, cartoon boobs = failing to acquire boobs in real life. "
There's a bunch of comic artists who would be able to strongly disagree with you, let alone all of the hot female leads in comic to movie translations like Red Sonja.
#107 Edited by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
@Xeiphyer said:

I am a big nintendo fan, but there just aren't very many quality wii games in the market "

How many do you need? 

Also, the PS3 can be and has been hacked - only by people who don't support piracy. 
#108 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

I like the Wii. I own one, and I don't regret buying it. I do have a 360 as well. What I enjoy about the Wii is this: it plays various types of games old new, it controller while simplistic can still crank out some interesting games on it ( slient Hill, No More Heros 1&2 example) and its not littered with Twitter and Facebook shit and ads smeared all over the fucking place. What the downside is? It houses some of the most LAZYEST developers in the business cranking out shit after shit.
#109 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

Same garbage Nintendo PR tosses to their fans who just want real games, without any real backing to claims. 

And if you ask me whether I wanna play Bully with waggle or a gamepad, I'll choose the more accurate, and less tiring gamepad every time. 

Oh yeah, and don't try and give your opinion on something while using other critic's opinions. 

Oh yeah, and don't simply cite single-examples of good games on the Wii when trying to say it has good "native" games. Every system has great exclusives, but the Wii has much fewer, and very few wouldn't feel better with a gamepad. 

Oh yeah, and you should work better on speaking without sounding annoying, or sounding smug.  

Oh yeah, and the Wii-mote does anything but break the fourth wall for most games. Slightly whacking a controller in Wii Tennis instead of actually hitting it like a tennis ball breaks the fourth wall. 

Oh yeah, and I'll take a hard drive over an SD card every time.  

Oh yeah, and Mii Support is abso-freaking-lutely useless.

#110 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
@Willy105:  

Dude, that comic is so funny. 

NIce post, man. I shall use some of these ideas in my next blog on the ultimate defense of the Wii.
#111 Posted by Rallier (1739 posts) -
@oldschool said:
"  Damn kids.  I go out for the evening, I ask you not to throw a big party at the House of Wii, and this happens.  Look at all the damage you have done.  What the hell is that on the rug?  I expect you all to clean this mess up.  Damn kids.

@dbz1995
 said: 

" GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CONSOLE WARS!  SAILOR OLDSCHOOL SAILOR AJENTJ  SAILOR DBZ SAILOR EVILSBANE  WE WILL FIGHT FOR OF OUR OWN RIGHT TO HAVE THE CONSOLE REIGN OVER ALL! " 

I will not be happy until you photoshop me as Sailor Moon I tells you. "
Oh but i can help out with that

#112 Posted by Xeiphyer (5602 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
" @Xeiphyer said:

I am a big nintendo fan, but there just aren't very many quality wii games in the market "

How many do you need?    Also, the PS3 can be and has been hacked - only by people who don't support piracy.  "
I know all about the ps3 being hacked, I just thought I would skip this conversation =P For all pirating purposes it isn't hacked.

Also I own most of those games, but a lot of them aren't that good =P Tatsunoko vs capcom is garbage. The problem with all those good wii games is that they are all pretty short single player experiences, and any chance of decent multiplayer is ruined by the wii's netcode (Although playing mario kart online wasn't too bad for a while, Brawl was garbage though).

Thats why I think the wii is a secondary console, its fun but it doesn't provide enough lasting quality gameplay to satiate a hardcore gamer's appetite. I couldn't imagine owning only a wii.
#113 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Rallier said:
" @oldschool said:
"  Damn kids.  I go out for the evening, I ask you not to throw a big party at the House of Wii, and this happens.  Look at all the damage you have done.  What the hell is that on the rug?  I expect you all to clean this mess up.  Damn kids.
@dbz1995
 said: 

" GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CONSOLE WARS!  SAILOR OLDSCHOOL SAILOR AJENTJ  SAILOR DBZ SAILOR EVILSBANE  WE WILL FIGHT FOR OF OUR OWN RIGHT TO HAVE THE CONSOLE REIGN OVER ALL! " 

I will not be happy until you photoshop me as Sailor Moon I tells you. "
Oh but i can help out with that
"
Oh no you didn't  :-) 
Damn, I'd hit that.  I've never looked so good.
#114 Posted by demontium (4708 posts) -
@KennyPowers said:
I love Eastbound and Down.  

Man are you epic.
#115 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
@oldschool: 

Now you just need to named after a planet.  How about Salior Earth?
#116 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Godwind said:
" @oldschool:  Now you just need to named after a planet.  How about Salior Earth? "
I like it.  Sailor Uranus more like it though  :/
#117 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
@oldschool said:
" @Godwind said:
" @oldschool:  Now you just need to named after a planet.  How about Salior Earth? "
I like it.  Sailor Uranus more like it though  :/ "
They already have one, and she is a Woman, not a tranny.
#118 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Godwind said:
" @oldschool said:
" @Godwind said:
They already have one, and she is a Woman, not a tranny. "
Yeah, but it works so well  :/ 

Maybe I am Planet Mr. Spock.  Really, that is a planet.  I did not know that.
#119 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
@oldschool said:
" @Godwind said:
" @oldschool said:
" @Godwind said:
They already have one, and she is a Woman, not a tranny. "
Yeah, but it works so well  :/  Maybe I am Planet Mr. Spock.  Really, that is a planet.  I did not know that. "

I can imagine someone naming a planet after a character.
#120 Posted by EliasT (671 posts) -

No, just no, the Wii is absolute trash, you can't say a damn thing that will convince me otherwise. And keep your god damn opinions to yourself, too.

#121 Posted by Hailinel (24431 posts) -
@EliasT said:
" No, just no, the Wii is absolute trash, you can't say a damn thing that will convince me otherwise. And keep your god damn opinions to yourself, too. "
Obvious troll is obvious.  Incredibly so.
#122 Posted by EliasT (671 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @EliasT said:
" No, just no, the Wii is absolute trash, you can't say a damn thing that will convince me otherwise. And keep your god damn opinions to yourself, too. "
Obvious troll is obvious.  Incredibly so. "
It's funny you think so, because I'm certain you are wrong, and I'm right.
#123 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

Just gonna leave this here...
#124 Posted by Hailinel (24431 posts) -
@EliasT said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @EliasT said:
It's funny you think so, because I'm certain you are wrong, and I'm right. "
I take it you like living in Bizarro World.  Either way, you're too uninteresting and hard-headed to have any actual debate with, so good day.
#125 Posted by EliasT (671 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @EliasT said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @EliasT said:
It's funny you think so, because I'm certain you are wrong, and I'm right. "
I take it you like living in Bizarro World.  Either way, you're too uninteresting and hard-headed to have any actual debate with, so good day. "
That's funny as hell, because I'm certain I'm the absolute opposite because I actually like playing GOOD games and have taste. So good day to YOU.
#126 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -
@EliasT said: 
That's funny as hell, because I'm certain I'm the absolute opposite because I actually like playing GOOD games and have taste. So good day to YOU. "
If you want to last long here, I would at least recommend to take your own posts seriously.
#127 Posted by EliasT (671 posts) -
@Willy105 said:
" @EliasT said: 
That's funny as hell, because I'm certain I'm the absolute opposite because I actually like playing GOOD games and have taste. So good day to YOU. "
If you want to last long here, I would at least recommend to take your own posts seriously. "
Nah, because you're a troll, all Wii fans are, so I don't give half a shit :)
#128 Posted by Hailinel (24431 posts) -
@EliasT said:
" @Willy105 said:
" @EliasT said: 
If you want to last long here, I would at least recommend to take your own posts seriously. "
Nah, because you're a troll, all Wii fans are, so I don't give half a shit :) "
Yeah, you've got a bright future ahead of you, kid.  Unfortunately, Giant Bomb doesn't have a System Wars forum, so I suggest you go elsewhere if  you want to continue acting like a twit.
#129 Posted by EliasT (671 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @EliasT said:
" @Willy105 said:
" @EliasT said: 
Yeah, you've got a bright future ahead of you, kid.  Unfortunately, Giant Bomb doesn't have a System Wars forum, so I suggest you go elsewhere if  you want to continue acting like a twit. "
What system wars? The Wii is barely even a console.
#130 Posted by Hailinel (24431 posts) -
@EliasT said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @EliasT said:
" @Willy105 said:
" @EliasT said: 
Yeah, you've got a bright future ahead of you, kid.  Unfortunately, Giant Bomb doesn't have a System Wars forum, so I suggest you go elsewhere if  you want to continue acting like a twit. "
What system wars? The Wii is barely even a console. "
If you think that way, why are you even wasting your time by posting in the Wii forum?  You're only succeeding in presenting yourself as an imbecile.
#131 Posted by EliasT (671 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @EliasT said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @EliasT said:
" @Willy105 said:
" @EliasT said: 
What system wars? The Wii is barely even a console. "
If you think that way, why are you even wasting your time by posting in the Wii forum?  You're only succeeding in presenting yourself as an imbecile. "
That's a good one, xD. 
#132 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -

Ok, that's it.

#133 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@EliasT said:
" @Willy105 said:
" @EliasT said: 
You really enjoy behaving like this?  What exactly do you derive in the way of enjoyment just acting in an insulting an belligerent manner?  So you don't like the Wii?  Big deal.  Just play what you like and try to act in a civilised and remotely mature manner.  You are nowhere near as clever or funny as that voice in your head says.
#134 Posted by EliasT (671 posts) -
@oldschool said:
" @EliasT said:
" @Willy105 said:
" @EliasT said: 
You really enjoy behaving like this?  What exactly do you derive in the way of enjoyment just acting in an insulting an belligerent manner?  So you don't like the Wii?  Big deal.  Just play what you like and try to act in a civilised and remotely mature manner.  You are nowhere near as clever or funny as that voice in your head says. "  
 I don't think I'm clever, and I'm being very mature, you guys are the assholes that keep parading around trying to convince random people that the Wii is something that it's not, a quality console. Leave people alone, nobody will ever be convinced with you guys terrible flame-and-troll tactics.
#135 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -
@EliasT said: 
 I don't think I'm clever, and I'm being very mature, you guys are the assholes that keep parading around trying to convince random people that the Wii is something that it's not, a quality console. Leave people alone, nobody will ever be convinced with you guys terrible flame-and-troll tactics. "
There's a problem with that kid, we actually own and use the Wii, and we can say with a straight face that you are wrong.
#136 Posted by EliasT (671 posts) -
@Willy105 said:
" @EliasT said: 
 I don't think I'm clever, and I'm being very mature, you guys are the assholes that keep parading around trying to convince random people that the Wii is something that it's not, a quality console. Leave people alone, nobody will ever be convinced with you guys terrible flame-and-troll tactics. "
There's a problem with that kid, we actually own and use the Wii, and we can say with a straight face that you are wrong. "
Well, then you must be pretty fucking nuts. Anyways, later : D
#137 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@EliasT said:
" @oldschool said:
" @EliasT said:
" @Willy105 said:
" @EliasT said: 
You really enjoy behaving like this?  What exactly do you derive in the way of enjoyment just acting in an insulting an belligerent manner?  So you don't like the Wii?  Big deal.  Just play what you like and try to act in a civilised and remotely mature manner.  You are nowhere near as clever or funny as that voice in your head says. "  
You certainly got the first part right.  Now, let me get this straight.  You are in a Wii thread, on a Wii forum, started by a member who likes the Wii and you don't like what you read, so you call everyone trolls, flamers and assholes and then ask them to leave everyone alone?  Do me a favour.  When you are sober, or maybe medicated, could you read your stuff back to yourself and see how you go rationalising your manic ravings.  You are most likely a teenager and we all know, that consequently, you brain hasn't fully developed yet.  However that is no excuse as many other teenagers here are more than capable of discourse with levels of maturity you must envy.  I strongly recommend you turn around before you find yourself in the spotlight of the moderators.
#138 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

Okay, this has gone on long enough. To the OP, this is technically YouTube spam and why must you feel the need to post this in order to defend the console? If you think other people are fanboys, you need to look at yourself. Going out of your way (and really with no reason) to defend a console like this does not reflect kindly on you. 

Also, this whole thread has spun out of control with derogatory language and immature name-calling. Please people, we are talking about video games here. Let us not fight among ourselves for no reason.

So, yep, this thread gets a:

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.