Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Wii 2 will be smaller and more powerful?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

Posted October 19, 2009 by James Brightman

Nintendo is constantly thinking about or actively planning for new hardware. What form that hardware will take, however, is anybody's guess. And Nintendo has proven to be quite unpredictable; who would have guessed that they'd build a handheld with dual screens or trade in traditional controls for motion sensing?

In a recent interview with  Popular Mechanics, Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto was asked about Nintendo's future direction with hardware and how important motion sensing controls would be for the company's next platform. Miyamoto responded, "With both the Wii remote itself and Wii MotionPlus, what we've been able to do is introduce an interface that is both I think appealing and at the right price for a broad audience. And while we don't have any concrete plans for what we'll be doing with hardware in the future, what I can say is that, my guess is that because we found this interface to be so interesting, I think it would be likely that we would try to make that same functionality perhaps more compact and perhaps even more cost-efficient."

Miyamoto also  addressed Nintendo's stance on HD graphics at a recent roundtable event attended by IndustryGamers. Based on his recent comments, we'd guess that Nintendo's next console will feature even more precise motion sensing along with HD graphics, all packed into a compact form factor. Of course, the company will probably also do something that seems absolutely crazy to us at first, and then sells a boatload for the company in the end. 

Elsewhere in the interview, Miyamoto talked about the convergence of technology with video games and other devices. Things have come a long way since the days when consoles were viewed as toys, he said.

"I think originally video-game systems were viewed as a toy, and they were something you played with. Whereas now I think we're starting to see a blurring of the lines, where, obviously, the internal guts of a video-game system is essentially a computer, and we're gradually seeing video games moving beyond simply entertainment into other aspects of everyday life. And I think what video games benefit from is an intuitive interface that's easy to understand, where the controller is a little bit more familiar and easier to use than the interface of a typical computer," he said. "As time goes on, I think we're going to see how the system of the video-game console and this interactive interface is going to gradually bleed in to other elements of, say, home electronics and daily life. For example, in Japan the Wii itself has a TV guide channel that Wii owners can download to their Wii. And for a lot of people in Japan who own a Wii, that TV guide channel is a lot more convenient and easier to use than a typical TV guide service."

How could it get smaller?  The Wii is tiny as it is.  Adding HD wouldn't add a lot I suppose, but if it doesn't have a hard drive, and that will take some room, I will be disappointed.
    Sweaterfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Sweaterfish

So long as I see a new Zelda, I cannot say I mind.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By turbomonkey138

I hope they don't call it the WII 2

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By oldschool
    @PeasForFees said:
    " @turbomonkey138 said:
    " I hope they don't call it the WII 2 "
    How about, WWII or Wii More "
    Nintendo WWII (World War II) - has a good ring to it.  Official launch in Hawaii on December 7, 2011 to coincide with the 70th anniversary of ................................ 

on second thought, maybe not  ^-^ 

Don't count out Wii Plus.  Everything else seems to be using the "plus" bit.
    Sweaterfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sweaterfish

Wii Plus does seem to be the most plausible. Wii 2 would be... well you guys have already covered that. 
    I wouldn't put it past Nintendo though to try and get cute with it and create endless puns from it.

Wii 2 love to play video games! Ok, that was dreadful, but, oh forget it.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Linkyshinks

I'm confident Nintendo will opt for the natural "Wii HD" name. 

I think he was referring to the size of the controller mate.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

I doubt Nintendo would use HD in the name of it. They've said be4 a new system would have HD because it would be natural, but wouldn't exist just for that, it would have to offer other things to the consumer too. Maybe something like Wii Plus or Super Wii. They're certainly not going to drop the succesful name but I seriously doubt HD is what they'd try to market it as. HD is how you market products now, when the new gen comes it won't be the hot new thing anymore, it will be the standard and possibly even useless to advertise it so prominently, in the name.

Anyway, more powerful is a given but smaller? It's almost the size of a disc drive now... Look at it next to a disc:

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.