Wii games are more innovative than 360/PS3 games

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by stafax (283 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos: I'm not saying it only because of me, I'm saying it because me, my friends, and most comments I see on the internet generally don't care for that game. I bet when Giant Bomb does their GOTY bombcast, they wont say much more about Heavy Rain other than mentioning the name when they get to the PS3 exclusive discussion. 
#52 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@Briguile said:
"  Ok that is your opinion. "
#53 Posted by stafax (283 posts) -
@teh_pwnzorer said:
" @stafax said:
" @SethPhotopoulos: Thanks for a list of scores that no one cares about.  "
 "
And no one cares about your comment. See, I didn't even include it when I quoted you.
#54 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@owl_of_minerva said:
" @teh_pwnzorer:  Bro, the sooner you deal with your psychological and sexual issues the sooner you can become a refined gentleman partaking in the best of all available games. "
The sooner you stop insulting others, the more human you will become.
#55 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@stafax said:
" @teh_pwnzorer said:
" @stafax said:
 "
And no one cares about your comment. See, I didn't even include it when I quoted you. "
Awesome job.
#56 Posted by stafax (283 posts) -
@teh_pwnzorer said:
" @stafax said:
" @teh_pwnzorer said:
" @stafax said:
 "
And no one cares about your comment. See, I didn't even include it when I quoted you. "
Awesome job. "
I know, sometimes I even impress myself ;D
#57 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5117 posts) -
@stafax said:
" @SethPhotopoulos: I'm not saying it only because of me, I'm saying it because me, my friends, and most comments I see on the internet generally don't care for that game. I bet when Giant Bomb does their GOTY bombcast, they wont say much more about Heavy Rain other than mentioning the name when they get to the PS3 exclusive discussion.  "
Loud minorities exists dude, look at MW2 and Halo.
#58 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -
@Geno:  Eh, the idea of it existed before, and numerous failed attempts at motion controls. But can you honestly say you've seen a similar convergence of the following factors: a system whose gameplay mechanics, marketing, and hardware are almost universally geared towards the use of motion controls as its constitutive feature? Also, even if we were to accept that what the Wii is doing isn't innovative in-itself, it's changed the entire face of the industry due to attracting new markets, which has forced Sony and Microsoft to attempt to emulate them. It's changed the face of the industry, and I don't see how that isn't even a little bit innovative.
It seems willfully irrational and biased to attempt to downplay the Wii's importance in order to compensate psychologically for its market domination.
#59 Edited by stafax (283 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos: Good God, you still don't get my point! I didn't mention Heavy Rain to start a debate on whether it's good or not, I can't care any less about that game at this point. I was just naming the first game I could think of off the top of my head to make an example! My point was that innovation doesn't equal as being a good game. Like I said already, replace "Heavy Rain" with "Mirror's Edge" if that makes you happy.
#60 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5117 posts) -
@stafax said:
" @SethPhotopoulos: Good God, you still don't get my point! I didn't mention Heavy Rain to start a debate on whether it's good or not, I can't care any less about that game at this point. My point was that innovation doesn't equal as being a good game. Like I said already, replace "Heavy Rain" with "Mirror's Edge" if that makes you happy. "
I got your point.
#61 Edited by Geno (6477 posts) -
@owl_of_minerva said:

" @Geno:  Eh, the idea of it existed before, and numerous failed attempts at motion controls. But can you honestly say you've seen a similar convergence of the following factors: a system whose gameplay mechanics, marketing, and hardware are almost universally geared towards the use of motion controls as its constitutive feature? Also, even if we were to accept that what the Wii is doing isn't innovative in-itself, it's changed the entire face of the industry due to attracting new markets, which has forced Sony and Microsoft to attempt to emulate them. It's changed the face of the industry, and I don't see how that isn't even a little bit innovative.It seems willfully irrational and biased to attempt to downplay the Wii's importance in order to compensate psychologically for its market domination. "

I never contested that the Wii didn't strive to use motion controls. I only pointed out that most of the games which use motion controls don't actually use them in a significantly innovative way. I also add that for one to consider the games in which motion controls are used in an innovative way as evidence for Wii's greater innovation over other consoles, they must also consider what types of games the Wii lacks. After regarding those facts, it becomes unreasonable to say that the Wii is more innovative over the 360 or PS3, since many great or innovative games that are possible on the PS3 and 360 aren't possible on the Wii either. And as of more recently, the converse is not true anymore since the PS3 and 360 have motion controls of their own now (superior ones at that). 

That last point is a bit off. I'm not attempting to downplay the Wii's success at all. In fact, one of the more positive things I have to say about the Wii is its business strategy and ability to attract a new audience to gaming. It did change the face of the industry - however you perhaps neglected to notice that the topic is about the innovation of Wii games in comparison to the PS3's and Xbox 360's, not the Wii console's commercial success. 
#62 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @Claude said:
" I wonder if Endless Ocean would work with Kinect. I'm sure it would with Move. I can just imagine it now. I played Dawn of Discovery on the Wii. What does the future hold for RTS games on consoles with motion being the flavor of this generation? The future seems bright. "
Whip select would be infinitely more fun and dangerous. "
I just looked up Whip Select. Stormrise... really? So sad. I'll try motion controls when they pry my dual analog controller from my cold dead hands.
#63 Edited by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -
@Geno:  The same things aren't technologically possible between Wii and 360/PS3, but I don't see how they aren't mechanically possible. The technological difference is enough of a 'win button' for the PS3/360 that it would be a waste of time trying to compete against a flood of HD action and shooter games.
Also, your conclusion is unwarranted: it isn't unreasonable to still assert that the Wii is more innovative, it's simply unreasonable to state it without comparing the relative innovations of the games on each system for each genre. I'm not going to compare every game on each system in the context of a forum post, so I'll simply state that necessarily based on my experience I view the Wii as having been significantly more innovative, although not necessarily better.

Edit: And based on what we've seen of the Kinect and Move so far, haven't they been cribbing from the Wii quite heavily? I can see both providing substantial innovation for PS3/360, eventually equalising whatever advantage the Wii might have gained, but they're not there yet.
#64 Posted by FreakAche (2949 posts) -

What?

#65 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

I strongly disagree. That is all.

Moderator Online
#66 Posted by agentboolen (1751 posts) -
@saturnvengeance:   You came very very close to having me get up and dust off my Wii...  then I stop getting up once you admitted most of that creativeness is from Nintendo.  Tell us something that we don't know, because we all know that the Big N is one of the more creative developers/publishers.  Thanks for almost getting me excited!!
#67 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@owl_of_minerva said:
" @Geno:  The same things aren't technologically possible between Wii and 360/PS3, but I don't see how they aren't mechanically possible. The technological difference is enough of a 'win button' for the PS3/360 that it would be a waste of time trying to compete against a flood of HD action and shooter games.Also, your conclusion is unwarranted: it isn't unreasonable to still assert that the Wii is more innovative, it's simply unreasonable to state it without comparing the relative innovations of the games on each system for each genre. I'm not going to compare every game on each system in the context of a forum post, so I'll simply state that necessarily based on my experience I view the Wii as having been significantly more innovative, although not necessarily better.  Edit: And based on what we've seen of the Kinect and Move so far, haven't they been cribbing from the Wii quite heavily? I can see both providing substantial innovation for PS3/360, eventually equalising whatever advantage the Wii might have gained, but they're not there yet. "
I'm just saying, if someone points out games A, B, C on the Wii that are innovative (most likely due to motion controls), one can typically also point out innovative games X, Y, Z on the other consoles that aren't possible on the Wii (due to better network functionality or stronger hardware for instance). So the topic of the thread, Wii games are more innovative than PS3 and 360 games doesn't really make sense if each console has innovative games which aren't possible on other platforms. No Wii Fit Plus on the PS3 and 360 (yet), but no LittleBigPlanet on the Wii either. Many would presumably believe that motion controls carry the innovation win for the Wii, to which I point out that most games which involve motion controls thus far on the Wii aren't actually innovative, but rather just replace button presses with simple motions or waggling, or use it as a cursor which has been around for a while and doesn't necessarily contribute for many games. 
#68 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4289 posts) -

Enemy napalm strike incoming.

#69 Posted by GlenTennis (3144 posts) -

While it's true that the lack of fantastic graphics has pushed some developers towards creating innovative experiences, I believe that there are plenty of innovative games for the Xbox and Playstation, you would just find them as downloadable games. You've got games like Braid, Flower, Pixel Junk ___, Limbo, Flower... and the list goes on. You do have games like De Blob and World of Goo (which did start on the PC), but I wouldn't say you see more innovation on the Wii.

#70 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Man, the Wii hasn't seen this much action in ages. Hang in there Wii, you still got it.

#71 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1170 posts) -

I think the Wii itself is innovative but not its games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.