Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Wii is the holiday best seller in Amazon.com

slayerofheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By slayerofheroes

According to an article at Kotaku the Wii is the best video game seller in amazon.com. Here's the article:

The answer to that question can be mostly summed up with three letters: Wii. Nintendo's console dominated online retailer Amazon.com's video game department in 2009, securing nine of the top ten spots on this year's bestsellers list.

Only one game stood between Nintendo and perfect top ten ownership, Infinity Ward's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, which was #9 on Amazon's list of bestsellers, which includes both hardware and software.

Amazon.com's bestseller in the video game department was the Wii console itself, with the Wii Remote and Wii MotionPlus taking second and third, followed by the Wii Nunchuk. And, impressively, New Super Mario Bros. Wii landed at fifth, the retailer's bestselling game of the year.

Granted, Amazon.com does not represent the market as a whole, but the following list should be a decent indicator of what's selling well across all platforms, including non-Nintendo games like Assassin's Creed II, Halo 3 ODST, Left 4 Dead 2 and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. Marvel at the top twenty below.

01. Wii
    02. Wii Remote controller
    03. Wii MotionPlus
    04. Wii Nunchuk controller
    05. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
    06. Wii Fit Plus (Wii)
    07. Wii Sports Resort (Wii)
    08. Wii Fit (Wii)
    09. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Xbox 360)
    10. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)

11. PlayStation 3 Dualshock 3 controller
    12. Wii Play (Wii)
    13. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3)
    14. Wii Wheel
    15. Assassin's Creed II (Xbox 360)
    16. Halo 3: ODST (Xbox 360)
    17. PlayStation 3 120 GB
    18. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
    19. EA Sports Active (Wii)
    20. Left 4 Dead 2 (Xbox 360)

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

Why are there still Wii sales threads? Nobody really cares.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64
    @Meowayne said:
    " Why are there still Wii sales threads? Nobody really cares. "
    True that.  We all know that the Wii still sells around the holidays.  No big surprise.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @JJOR64 said:
    @Meowayne said:
    True that.  We all know that the Wii still sells
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Al3xand3r said:
    " @JJOR64 said:
    @Meowayne said:
    We know.
    "
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By oldschool
    @Meowayne said:
    I care  ^-^ 

9 out of the top 10 is pretty good news for a console that is a fad and dying.  
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@oldschool: DEFENSE FORCE GO !  

Yeah, this is not surprising, but I'm still wondering who the fuck is buying this
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Pie
    @oldschool said:
    " @Meowayne said:
    I care  ^-^  9 out of the top 10 is pretty good news for a console that is a fad and dying.   "
    AHHHH IT NEEDS TO DIE AND BE WIPED OFF THE FACE OFF THIS WORLD SO WORLD LEADERS MIGHT UNITE AND PUT A STOP TO RACIST PIMPS ONCE AND FOR ALL ALLOWING THE JAKWENESE GOVERNMENT TO BECOME A LEADING LEADER IN CANCER TREATMENT LETTING MEDC'S BECOME HEALTHIER ALLOWING IMMORTALITY TO BECOME REALITY!1!1!1!1! 
    Fucking Wii....
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Crono

Ok I just want to point out that the Wii Motion Plus is the third item on the list... Wii Sports Resort is awesome, but what other games are out now that make owning a Wii Motion Plus worth it?  Are there any?  I know there are like 10 games out that utilize this peripheral... I hope that there are more to come.  I know that the next Zelda game is supposed to make use of it, but what other good games are there?

Ohh, I'd also like to point out that the list shows the new Mario game at 5 and MW2 at 9.  I realize this is only 1 outlet for information, but let's face it, it is a pretty big outlet.  So the bet that is going on in this thread is getting a bit more interesting :)

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

I dunno what you're asking, you know there are about 10 games, do you want people to re-post those 10? Or are you asking for new, upcoming titles? Anyway, this should do though it doesn't appear to be complete (as it doesn't list the Zelda Wii project). I guess the most high profile upcoming game using it is Red Steel 2. Every future iteration of the sports titles that supported it this year is a given too I imagine. Anyway, it's a pretty new piece of kit and can't apply on every game (shooting games or games like Silent Hill use the pointer which is perfectly precise so they don't require motion plus for example), I'm sure there are games developed for it that we won't hear about until they're closer to release.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11  Edited By Crono
    @Al3xand3r said:

" I dunno what you're asking, you know there are about 10 games, do you want people to re-post those 10? Or are you asking for new, upcoming titles? Anyway, this should do though it doesn't appear to be complete (as it doesn't list the Zelda Wii project). I guess the most high profile upcoming game using it is Red Steel 2. Every future iteration of the sports titles that supported it this year is a given too I imagine. "

My apologies to Al3xand3r.  I was a douche and jumped the gun on him and so I edited my post.  :X

Anyway I was looking at this site. When I responded to you.  Sorry.

It lists the Zelda game there.  I am just wondering if there are any decent games that make use of the Wii motion plus that anyone can personally recommend.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well, your link seems much more complete then I guess, beats me why wikipedia has the same thing in two pages that aren't equally up to date, lol.

Wii Sports Resort, Tiger Woods 10, Grand Slam Tennis are all good/great. For more, we'll see how Red Steel 2 and Zangeki No Reginleiv turn out until we finally get to see the new Zelda and whatever else has yet to be revealed as it's far from release or whatever other reasons.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ThomasP

@addictedtopinescent said:

" @oldschool: DEFENSE FORCE GO !   Yeah, this is not surprising, but I'm still wondering who the fuck is buying this "

Three of my friends got a Wii this Christmas and one of those friends purchased one for his parents. All of them bought Wii Sports Resort with Motion Plus. There are still loads of people left who want a Wii. The Wii is going to be around for a long time to come.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oldschool
    @ThomasP said:
    "

@addictedtopinescent said:

" @oldschool: DEFENSE FORCE GO !   Yeah, this is not surprising, but I'm still wondering who the fuck is buying this "

Three of my friends got a Wii this Christmas and one of those friends purchased one for his parents. All of them bought Wii Sports Resort with Motion Plus. There are still loads of people left who want a Wii. The Wii is going to be around for a long time to come. "
    No, it's just a fad and it's dying  ^-^ 

@Al3xand3r said:
    " Well, your link seems much more complete then I guess, beats me why wikipedia has the same thing in two pages that aren't equally up to date, lol.

Wii Sports Resort, Tiger Woods 10, Grand Slam Tennis are all good/great. For more, we'll see how Red Steel 2 and Zangeki No Reginleiv turn out until we finally get to see the new Zelda and whatever else has yet to be revealed as it's far from release or whatever other reasons. "
    I am hoping the Motion + will take off as I want a non sports game I can use it in for fun.  Sports games aren't my thing.  Red Steel 2 will be a good test.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @oldschool said:

I am hoping the Motion + will take off as I want a non sports game I can use it in for fun.  Sports games aren't my thing.  Red Steel 2 will be a good test.

I feel the same way about the average sports title, I don't even play soccer games, but Wii Sports Resort is an incredible package of fun.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Claude

They're probably just buying it to see if they want to get the Xbox 360 and PS3 motion control devices when they come out. You know, a test run before they go "hardcore".

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Willy105
    @Meowayne said:
    Agreed. The Wii is as far from a fad you can call it. No reason to be surprised to be the best seller 3 years later.
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By Dalai

Pretty much like the past few years... no surprises.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Whisperkill

The wii is a joke...

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By oldschool
    @Whisperkill said:
    " The wii is a joke... "
    And Nintendo are laughing all  the way to the bank and the owners are laughing at the great times it gives them  ^-^ 

@Al3xand3r said:
    " @oldschool said:

I feel the same way about the average sports title, I don't even play soccer games, but Wii Sports Resort is an incredible package of fun. "
    Wii Sports Resort is awesome, but not what I call a "sports" title.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Meowayne

Sports are my second "no go" genre after racing  games, but I had good times with Tiger Woods and Grand Slam Tennis on the Wii. MotionPlus makes them incredible.

Edit: And WSR is a must-have, of course.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Whisperkill
    @oldschool said:
    " @Whisperkill said:
    " The wii is a joke... "
    And Nintendo are laughing all  the way to the bank and the owners are laughing at the great times it gives them  ^-^ 

@Al3xand3r said:
    " @oldschool said:

I feel the same way about the average sports title, I don't even play soccer games, but Wii Sports Resort is an incredible package of fun. "
    Wii Sports Resort is awesome, but not what I call a "sports" title. "
    I have had about 15 minutes of fun from the wii, thats not worth the $250 I paid for it. All those soccer moms who buy it, get a game a year for it and never touch the damn thing again. The Wii is by far the least played console and that is fact.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Al3xand3r

Lol @ you, paying for stuff without knowing enough about them. The joke's on you after all. Most wouldn't advertise it but you're special. Thankfully, most of the Wii owners around here (of which none is a soccer mom, well, maybe one soccer dad, huhu!) did more research beforehand and bought it to enjoy its diverse library. And do so. It sucks to be you though, I hope you won't keep wasting your money left and right by being, well, lacking in common sense, basically not knowing what you want and don't want. I'd feel sorry about you if I wasn't already laughing at you xD

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By oldschool
    @Whisperkill said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Whisperkill said:
    " The wii is a joke... "

@Al3xand3r said:
    " @oldschool said:

I have had about 15 minutes of fun from the wii, thats not worth the $250 I paid for it. All those soccer moms who buy it, get a game a year for it and never touch the damn thing again. The Wii is by far the least played console and that is fact. "
    By you maybe, but not by me (and many more).
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#25  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'm not really that surprised but I must say the sales the Wii is making are still impressive.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @oldschool said:
    " @Whisperkill said:
    " The wii is a joke... "

@Al3xand3r said:
    " @oldschool said:

what is it then, it's packed with sports mini games.
    Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @Whisperkill said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Whisperkill said:
    " The wii is a joke... "

@Al3xand3r said:
    " @oldschool said:

I have had about 15 minutes of fun from the wii, thats not worth the $250 I paid for it. All those soccer moms who buy it, get a game a year for it and never touch the damn thing again. The Wii is by far the least played console and that is fact. "
    agreed, unfortunately. I waited in the cold for 32 hours for the thing, just to get hammered in the nuts with disapointment that morning, and the years after.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By oldschool
    @BestUsernameEver said:
    " @oldschool said:
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " @oldschool said:

what is it then, it's packed with sports mini games. "
    It is a cartoon based mini-game collection.  A sports game to me is what that attempts to  be a virtual copy of a well known sport - football, cricket, basketball, hockey, tennis, golf, rugby et cetera.  Mario Golf isn't a sports game in the same way that Mario Kart isn't a racing game.  They are better than sport and racing games and the only ones I have an interest in.  You don't have to agree as it is really splitting hairs.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Meowayne
    @Al3xand3r said:

" Lol @ you, paying for stuff without knowing enough about them. The joke's on you after all. Most wouldn't advertise it but you're special. Thankfully, most of the Wii owners around here (of which none is a soccer mom, well, maybe one soccer dad, huhu!) did more research beforehand and bought it to enjoy its diverse library. And do so. It sucks to be you though, I hope you won't keep wasting your money left and right by being, well, lacking in common sense, basically not knowing what you want and don't want. I'd feel sorry about you if I wasn't already laughing at you xD "

What he said. Here's a hint: There's three years of game releases between when you bought the console and now, 2009 being the best of them.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By dbz1995
    @Pie said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Meowayne said:
    I care  ^-^  9 out of the top 10 is pretty good news for a console that is a fad and dying.   "
    AHHHH IT NEEDS TO DIE AND BE WIPED OFF THE FACE OFF THIS WORLD SO WORLD LEADERS MIGHT UNITE AND PUT A STOP TO RACIST PIMPS ONCE AND FOR ALL ALLOWING THE JAKWENESE GOVERNMENT TO BECOME A LEADING LEADER IN CANCER TREATMENT LETTING MEDC'S BECOME HEALTHIER ALLOWING IMMORTALITY TO BECOME REALITY!1!1!1!1! Fucking Wii.... "
    DO NOT INSULT OUR LEADER *Surrounds oldschool with Riot Shields*
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By demontium

Always good to hear ^^ 

Although I wish a variety of titles sold.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By Geno

No surprise. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.