Wii Noob Seeking Infos

#1 Posted by _jackbauer (26 posts) -

Hello, I want to play some of my favorite gamecube games (I already own) in 480p.  As I understand it, my options are either buying a GC component cable or buying a Wii. 

On ebay these days component cables are 80-100 whereas a used wii is 100.  Here's the question: 

If I go with a Wii with component cables, will I be able to play Twilight Princess/Wind Waker in 480p?  Wil rumble and everything work?  Will I see slowdown of any kind?  And is 480p the max resolution I can get? 

I'm a total Wii noob.  I did some research on wikipedia but am a little lost.  Help me nintendo experts, you're my only hope!

#2 Posted by destruktive (1069 posts) -

as far as I know, if you have component cables and set the console to 480p the games will follow.

I haven't really noticed any change in resolution when playing gamecube games on my wii. I do a lot of video game footage capturing and the only difference is that I have to set my framerate differently, which is something you don't really have to think about when you're using it on a regular tv.

When it comes to rumble it will be just as if you were playing on a gamecube. There is no difference between the gamecube ports on the wii and the gamecube.

#3 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
@_jackbauer:  

The max resolution on the Wii with the component cables is 480p. When using the cables, you'll notice at least less image ghosting, a higher sharpness, and more brilliant color. 

Your GameCube games will only display in 480p if they have a Progressive Scan mode in the game. (Check the back of the box if it features Progressive Scan). Some of these GameCube games will also do 16:9 Widescreen in Progressive Scan, but again, you have to check with the game. 

If your controller and the game support rumble, then you will have rumble.
#4 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

#5 Posted by _jackbauer (26 posts) -

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone.  I've been playing Twilight Princess, for the first time, in 480p glory on my new used Wii.  480p makes a pretty significant difference in visual quality.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.