Wii or Nintendo Revolution?

• 60 results
#1 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

Remember when the Wii was gonna be called Nintendo Revolution?

I personally like Wii better. Nintendo Revolution was a little too long for me.
#2 Posted by DarkLegend (1387 posts) -

Revolution sounds 10X better but that's just me.

#3 Posted by neilsquibb (15 posts) -

I wanted it to be called the Rev.

#4 Posted by thebipsnbeeps (546 posts) -

Back then, I would say Nintendo Revolution, because Wii sounded dumb and silly. But honestly, I'm liking the title Wii better than Nintendo Revolution now.

#5 Posted by synt4x (160 posts) -

Yeah at first I was like: Dude that name sucks!
But now I've just grown accustomed to Wii and I think "Nintendo Revolution" would actually sound really bad for a console.

#6 Posted by sdodd02 (722 posts) -

Wii.

#7 Posted by WizzyKid (259 posts) -

Revolution for me. I would of been so proud to own it. But then again, probably not because it has the weakest library of games in my opinion.

#8 Posted by RowdyRob (206 posts) -

Wii. But then again, Revolution Sports, Revolution Play and Revolution Fit sound much better =P

And that's not even mentioning Revolution Music... =O

#9 Posted by AnonymousLegion (64 posts) -

The Revolution would have been great.
However Japan had other plans. xD Oh well.

#10 Posted by RVonE (4633 posts) -

Absolutely the Revolution. The Wii still sounds dumb to me, I don't know.

#11 Edited by Gaius (129 posts) -

I would have preferred Nintendo Revolution, for two reasons.  One, it gives justice to the actual revolution that Nintendo has made in the gaming industry throughout the generations, and two, it would be one less reason to trash talk Nintendo.

#12 Posted by Foil_Charizard (345 posts) -

They should just call it "The Nintendo".

#13 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

I think they changed the name to Wii because casual gamers would rather buy a console named Wii rather than Revolution. Revolution sounds more hardcore.

#14 Posted by MasturbatingBear (1781 posts) -

nintendo Wii

#15 Posted by Pikachu (449 posts) -
DarkLegend said:
"Revolution sounds 10X better but that's just me."
na, I agree with you
#16 Posted by Dalai (7017 posts) -

Well, naming it the Wii was intentional... they wanted it to be simple and universal, much like the system itself.  And it worked.  The Revolution sounds cool, but if it failed to deliver, then it's not really a revolution, right?

So I vote Wii.

#17 Posted by ThePlothole (4 posts) -
Twilight said:
"Remember when the Wii was gonna be called Nintendo Revolution?"
It was never going to be called Revolution. That was simply the "code name"... that is, something to call it before an official name could be chosen. Nintendo has been using codenames for at least three generations. Eg: N64 (Project Reality), Gameboy Advance (Project Atlantis), Gamecube (Dolphin), DS (Nitro).
#18 Posted by DanGuy (278 posts) -

I used to think Wii sounded childish, but now I'm used to it.

#19 Posted by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -

who cares what its called, it is sadly dying. and that is what we should be focused on.

#20 Posted by neilsquibb (15 posts) -

How is it dying? To the hardcore maybe yes, but they are still the fastest selling console this generation. 

Not that I think this is a good thing as, unfortunatly, Nintendo seems to be moving away from catering to my gaming needs and instead heading for the supposedly greener pastures of the casual market.

Time wil tell if that is wise.

#21 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -

Revolution was nice, but the Wii was what made it so big.

I still liked Revolution, and the name of my Wii actually is Revolution.

#22 Posted by Haziqonfire (227 posts) -

Wii is better.

#23 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

Revolution was a great name, I wanted that

#24 Posted by epic_pets (1339 posts) -

I like the name revolution better.

#25 Posted by Mario_Galaxy_Fan (116 posts) -

Wii because it sounds like its for everybody.

#26 Posted by SSbabel (1141 posts) -

Hard to say when they origanally announced that they were naming it the Wii i was like WTF, but now that its been a while im fine with it.

#27 Posted by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -

It's irrelevant at this point.... but the Wii sounded fucked up to me at first. Sounds normal now.

#28 Posted by PaperPlain (243 posts) -

Revolution. Its the same system either way though.

#29 Posted by AnTiPRO (93 posts) -

Revolution sounds so much more bad ass...

#30 Posted by bad_crc (39 posts) -

should have kept rev.

#31 Posted by robbob88 (326 posts) -

Revolution sounds soooo much better, but it would turn off the older more casual players which is technically what Nintendo is aiming at with the Wii.

#32 Edited by Djungelurban (181 posts) -

No, I'm still a Revolution guy. Sure, I've gotten used to "Wii" but it's still totally ridiculous and I don't think the world will ever run out of "Wii jokes"...

EDIT: Still think that "Dolphin" is the best name ever for a console though. Nintendo needs to use that at some point.

#33 Posted by robbob88 (326 posts) -
Djungelurban said:
"No, I'm still a Revolution guy. Sure, I've gotten used to "Wii" but it's still totally ridiculous and I don't think the world will ever run out of "Wii jokes"...

EDIT: Still think that "Dolphin" is the best name ever for a console though. Nintendo needs to use that at some point.
"

I remember when Nintendo was going to name the GC the "Dolphin", that would have been pretty cool.
#34 Posted by ReLoaDeD (47 posts) -

Revolution sounds much cooler than "Wii". I've heard several people joke about the Wii. It works great in puns too. I was playing with my Wii all night last night.

#35 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

Revolution is way too long, Wii works out quite well for me

#36 Posted by Nibbz (203 posts) -

how about wii sucks, im tired of all these gimmick games, nintendo REALLY let me down this generation! :'( at least i have the DS :)

#37 Posted by MikPick (333 posts) -
RedSox8933 said:
"who cares what its called, it is sadly dying. and that is what we should be focused on."

Yep, you know a console is dying when it still can't make enough systems to meet the demand of consumers. [/sarcasm]

Like a lot of people, I prefered the name Revolution at first. However I've grown to like the Wii.
#38 Posted by microwavedapple (160 posts) -

Revolution is a much better name. I don't know what Ninty were smoking when they decided to change it.

#39 Posted by Dark_Link142 (377 posts) -

I nicknamed my Wii "Revolution" in the Wii settings =P.

#40 Posted by twenty0ne (3071 posts) -

Revolution. I still don't get why they elected to call it the "Wii."

#41 Posted by FrozenVX (95 posts) -

Revolution did sound really good at the time, but I really grew to like Wii, so I wouldn't have it any other way.

#42 Posted by tec3297 (1170 posts) -

Revoltuion..or they could have just shortened it to like Revo

#43 Posted by Dakota (248 posts) -

Well I like the name Revolution better, but I think it was a bit much in terms of how much the console actually revolutionized gaming. Something a little more subtle.

#44 Edited by Kloreep (139 posts) -

I still prefer Revolution. It describes what the console actually does - revolutionize controller design, which had been getting a bit stale. A little hyperbolic, sure, but it also gets an actual point across.

That said, I've gotten used to Wii, and I suppose it sounds a little more accessible to people who would actually choose a console based on its name.

#45 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

Did everyone forget Wii is also another way of saying piss?

Revolution.

#46 Posted by timmytomthegreat (16 posts) -

I vote for Revolution.

#47 Posted by Game_Over (59 posts) -

Yea i agree with some other posters here, i think Revolution was the better name, but now Wii sounds so normal it doesn't really matter.

#48 Posted by FrozenVX (95 posts) -
twenty0ne said:
"Revolution. I still don't get why they elected to call it the "Wii."
"
Because when you're playing the Wii, you're having fun. Therefore, Nintendo thought the best way to describe having fun was by yelling WHEEEEEE!.....and then calling it Wii.
#49 Posted by WolfODonnell (39 posts) -
Foil_Charizard said:
"They should just call it "The Nintendo".
"
lol my parents call it that...

I'd go with Wii :)
#50 Posted by RowdyRob (206 posts) -
WolfODonnell said:
"Foil_Charizard said:
"They should just call it "The Nintendo".
"
lol my parents call it that...

I'd go with Wii :)
"
Almost everyone I know calls every Nintendo system "The Nintendo."

n00bs =P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.