Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Wii should dominate December

• 70 results
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By demontium

-Sillent Hill Shattered Memories  
    -New Super Mario Bros Wii (will sell gradually) 
    -Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers 

and Nintendo will release Zelda Spirit Tracks, but alas that is not on Wii. 

Nintendo already won this holiday quality wise.

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RaikohBlade

Naoto should dominate December.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By emkeighcameron

It'll do OK, but I think the MW2 domination will carry over into December some as well. Kind of a toss-up in my mind at the moment.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel
    @emkeighcameron said:
    " It'll do OK, but I think the MW2 domination will carry over into December some as well. Kind of a toss-up in my mind at the moment. "
    You'd think that everyone that wanted Modern Warfare 2 would have bought it by now in the huge rush at launch, but crazier things have happened.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

That's quite a bold statement to make. I'll still say MW2 will carry on over Christmas along with the other bigger titles. Still, I'll think the Wii would do grand over Christmas since they always seem to sell well.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By demontium
    @emkeighcameron: MW2 sold a lot already, it is already selling less per week than NSMBW, check VGchartz.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By RHCPfan24

Sorry, but none of those new releases (besides NSMBW) for the Wii are going to sell a lot. Look at past "M" games, even Madworld, and sales aren't going to go through the roof. The fact that I was unaware of a new FFCC (that's not a good name either...you shouldn't repeat Crystal two times!!!) probably doesn't signal a good future for that one either.

However, Zelda: Spirit Tracks will sell very well I am sure, though probably not as much as Phantom Hourglass because, well....BOATS N HOS!!! Not trains!!!!

EDIT - I missed a key word up there...whoops.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By emkeighcameron
    @Hailinel said:
    " @emkeighcameron said:
    " It'll do OK, but I think the MW2 domination will carry over into December some as well. Kind of a toss-up in my mind at the moment. "
    You'd think that everyone that wanted Modern Warfare 2 would have bought it by now in the huge rush at launch, but crazier things have happened. "
    Yeah, I personally know a good number of people who are waiting to buy MW2 during the Christmas shopping sprees (for gifts and such). I think its sales will ramp up notably during December, but who knows, I'm not a sales-numbers-market-trends kind of guy.
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By emkeighcameron
    @demontium said:
    " @emkeighcameron: MW2 sold a lot already, it is already selling less per week than NSMBW, check VGchartz. "
    Well if this trend continues, then awesome, because I loathe MW2 and would love to see it fade away at least somewhat.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By demontium
    @RHCPfan24: I do not mean sales exactly, more so the greatest games. 

@emkeighcameron:    : ]
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'm sorry, did you say something? I'm Oscar Mike!

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12  Edited By RHCPfan24
    @demontium: Oh quality-wise? It looked like you were insinuating sales. Anyway, I do agree with that sentiment because the only competition is The Saboteur which is a multiplatform game by a now-closed studio.
    RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RaikohBlade
    @demontium said:
    " @RHCPfan24: I do not mean sales exactly, more so the greatest games. 

@emkeighcameron:    : ] "
    Dude, people don't seem to realize that the Wii is done in terms of greatest games. It has the great hit here and there, but it will never compete with the sheer volume of top titles from Xbox 360 and PS3. I highly doubt it will even "win" Christmas seeing as how popular MW2 is. I for one am not on the MW2 bandwagon, and am glad to be away from it. But I am disappointed with Nintendo's decision to abandon the hardcore gamers in favor of the easier crowd to win over. Alas, it is a marketing strategy, and has been working very well for Nintendo up until recently.
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By StarFoxA

Well, seeing as I still have to pick up Borderlands, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Assassin's Creed II, Left 4 Dead 2, Dragon Age: Origins, and much, much more in the back catalog, I'm thinking that my 360 will get a ton more playtime than my Wii.

Avatar image for commodoregroovy
    CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CommodoreGroovy

Isn't crystal chronicles coming out on December 26th? That's such an odd marketing technique. Whenever someone starts selling a product the day after Christmas, it feels like a desperate move to grapple up the cash from all those gift returns.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Willy105
    @CommodoreGroovy said:
    " Isn't crystal chronicles coming out on December 26th? That's such odd marketing technique. Whenever someone starts selling a product the day after Christmas, it feels like a desperate move to grapple up the cash from all those gift returns. "
    It was a HUGE misstep, definetaly. For a game that was in continuous development for 4 years, it should have had an earlier release date. But, I guess it's the best they could have gotten, since the holidays are already packed, and the early 2010 is going to be very packed, especially on the Wii, so they had to go with what they had.
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cstrang
    @demontium said:

" Nintendo already won this holiday. "

Your logic here is flawless, I must say.  3 games, one of which will be mediocre (it's a Silent Hill game, come on!), one that repackages childhood nostalgia, and another Final Fantasy Chronicles game, means that Nintendo WINS the holiday?  Seriously?  I mean, it's not like Uncharted 2, Modern Warfare 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Borderlands, Left 4 Dead 2, and Dragon Age: Origins (just to name a few) came out all within the past few months and on non-Nintendo home consoles. I totally agree with @RaikohBlade: The Wii might have a good game here and there.  A Rabbids Go Home or yet another Super Mario game.  But the home console market is getting eaten up by the other two consoles that consistently move out top-tier titles.

Spin the Thanksgiving Wii sales however you want, but realize that a half-of-a-million units is DOWN significantly from previous Wii sales.  And their games sales figures are not doing well.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r

Downplaying the first home console Mario game with purely 2D gameplay in something like a decade is stupid. As is calling Crystal Bearers just another Chronicles game considering how much of a departure from previous outings it is. As for the sales, it's less than 400k down from last year's sales, not half a million. But it's still more than other systems so I don't see what you're getting at with this. You're saying Nintendo doesn't win because they can't compete with their past self, despite destroying the competition? Your subjective talk of what game is or isn't worthy makes no difference in sales (the Wii has plenty more than the occasional Rabbids game), and that kind of stuff always come up when discussing Wii sales, but it's still consistently beating the competition by a large margin in the US, and holding its own in the significantly smaller market that is Japan.

U.S. Hardware Sales, October 2009

1. Wii 506.9K
    2. Nintendo DS 457.6K
    3. PlayStation 3 320.6K
    4. Xbox 360 249.7K
    5. PSP 174.6K
    6. PlayStation 2 117.8K
    November will be even better seeing that Thanksgiving sales already beat October! Nintendo loses because last year they did better? Laughable. That's the only spinning here, not demontium's post. And October didn't have a Thanksgiving burst of sales to cling to, not that Thanksgiving only works for Nintendo or anything, you'd think a boost would happen for all systems as Nintendo doesn't own holidays.

That said, Crystal Bearers and Silent Hill will not be big sellers (CB is coming Dec 26th?!). But that doesn't mean Wii and other software won't be.

Of course demontium clarified he's not even talking about sales (so I don't know why he's mentioning New Super Mario Bros Wii since it's already released and doesn't count for December) so this little debate is useless and nobody can really tell him he's wrong since it's his opinion and if he likes those games, great for him, I hope he can get all of them for the holidays then. Have fun whatever you all end up playing on any system.
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By Dalai

Dominating December is not a big deal unless you're talking strictly sales.  Nintendo will probably dominate the sales charts in December, but that's to be expected.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By demontium
    @Dalai: dominating quality wise 
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By demontium
    @Al3xand3r: again, quality wise, sorry for not clarifying in OP.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Al3xand3r

My post wasn't a response to you, it was for the dude above that. Only the last paragraph is about your post.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Who cares?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @JeffGoldblum said:

Who cares?

He does, and he made a thread to say his opinion and show his excitement for 3 games he wants. If you don't care, why read and post? Troll.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " @JeffGoldblum said:

Who cares?

He does, and he made a thread to say his opinion and show his excitement for 3 games he wants. If you don't care, why read and post? Troll. "
    I posted to state my opinion on his opinion. If you hate my post why reply? Troll.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Al3xand3r

Not caring would be a lack of opinion for the subject which is stated better if you don't post at all. Also, I didn't say I hate anything.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By Dalai
    @demontium said:
    " @Dalai: dominating quality wise  "
    We'll have to see.  Mario technically doesn't count and I don't think we've seen reviews for Silent Hill yet.  I also don't know how the reception was for Crystal Chronicles in Japan, but it is Final Fantasy.  Plus The Saboteur (not a Wii game) might be good, but still we gotta wait and see. 

It doesn't matter anyway since Nintendo will be relying on their fairly recent games like Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit Plus.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By demontium
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " @Al3xand3r said:
    " @JeffGoldblum said:

Who cares?

He does, and he made a thread to say his opinion and show his excitement for 3 games he wants. If you don't care, why read and post? Troll. "
    I posted to state my opinion on his opinion. If you hate my post why reply? Troll. "
    how is he a troll?
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By demontium
    @Dalai: Other than the saboteur (i have my eye on that and I want to support pandemic) there doesn't seem to be any other must buys. right?
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Romination

Speaking of safe bets, I bet air will continue to be popular amongst mammals!

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By demontium
    @Romination: Sure! 

Does no one (other than the serious users on GB) see that this is a turning point for 3rd parties! 

Look at the great titles they are wiping out!
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By Bones8677

Silent Hill Shattered Memories -- I'd rather play Silent Hill 2
    New Super Mario Bros wii -- I'd rather play Super Mario World
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers -- God that title is terrible, anyway, I'd rather wait for Final Fantasy XIII
    Zelda Spirit Tracks -- I'd rather play Zelda Phantom...wait! NO! No I'd rather not bother with Zelda DS games. 

Whatever, I got a wii, it's just collecting dust, only thing out there I may get is Rabbids Go Home. None of those titles seem interesting at all for me.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Romination
    @demontium: I don't see it as a turning point for third parties. Wii will NEVER have a turning point for third parties.

I'm a Wii apologist. I go out and buy any game that even TRIES to make itself have an identity that's not "i dunno, waggle is fun, isn't it?". So far, I think I've only missed Deadly Creatures and Dead Space.

And these games fail. It doesn't matter how good they are, how not-M-rated they are, these games get destroyed. Most Wii owners don't want these games. They're content to watch stuff happen when they move their magic stick. Final Fantasy and Mario are sure sells, but I'll be surprised if Silent Hill manages to even break HALF a million. For god's sake, look at Punch Out. People go apeshit over their memories of that game and it was still pretty miserable. Oh, man...

now i'm depressed.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By demontium
    @Bones8677: ok mr I dont own a Wii. 

@Romination: your fault. 

@cstrang said: 

@demontium said: 

" Nintendo already won this holiday. "

Your logic here is flawless, I must say.  3 games, one of which will be mediocre (it's a Silent Hill game, come on!), one that repackages childhood nostalgia, and another Final Fantasy Chronicles game, means that Nintendo WINS the holiday?  Seriously?  I mean, it's not like Uncharted 2, Modern Warfare 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Borderlands, Left 4 Dead 2, and Dragon Age: Origins (just to name a few) came out all within the past few months and on non-Nintendo home consoles. I totally agree with @RaikohBlade: The Wii might have a good game here and there.  A Rabbids Go Home or yet another Super Mario game.  But the home console market is getting eaten up by the other two consoles that consistently move out top-tier titles.  Spin the Thanksgiving Wii sales however you want, but realize that a half-of-a-million units is DOWN significantly from previous Wii sales.  And their games sales figures are not doing well. "
    I usually avoid responding to ignorance but we are talking about quality, not sales. 
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Romination said:

"@demontium: I don't see it as a turning point for third parties. Wii will NEVER have a turning point for third parties.  I'm a Wii apologist. I go out and buy any game that even TRIES to make itself have an identity that's not "i dunno, waggle is fun, isn't it?". So far, I think I've only missed Deadly Creatures and Dead Space.  And these games fail. It doesn't matter how good they are, how not-M-rated they are, these games get destroyed. Most Wii owners don't want these games. They're content to watch stuff happen when they move their magic stick. Final Fantasy and Mario are sure sells, but I'll be surprised if Silent Hill manages to even break HALF a million. For god's sake, look at Punch Out. People go apeshit over their memories of that game and it was still pretty miserable. Oh, man...  now i'm depressed."

That makes no sense at all. Cheap niche games don't sell big, news @ 11. That's a very stupid and ignorant point I'm sorry to say. Silent Hill doesn't need to break half a million either. It's not an AAA Konami game, it's a cheap little game made by a studio that's mostly been involved with ports and budget titles so far. Also, you should look at the sales of the last Silent Hill game that wasn't on Wii (Origins & The Room) and tell me why it should sell so much better on Wii to prove it can sell games when the franchise has failed so badly on the other current systems. If Dead Space didn't sell then EA did something wrong like I don't know, provide a game nobody fucking wanted. A spin off of an underperforming franchise that wasn't on Wii, a lightgun shooter when the original was a survival horror game. Who the fuck asked for that? To pretend the genre doesn't sell on Wii is also stupid when other titles like House of the Dead 2 & 3, Umbrella Chronicles and House of the Dead Overkill have done well for themselves. Clearly something was wrong with how that game was handled. And you pick that to show games don't sell but ignore the several others that did well? Lol. Games that are handled right sell on Wii. Monster Hunter 3 isn't a low-budget version of Monster Hunter, or a shitty on-rails spin off, and therefor sells just as well as the franchise always has. On Wii. Plus monthly fees. Plus low development costs compared to HD systems. The same success will continue for other games that are handled right with respect to the franchises and their fans, like Tales of Graces and Dragon Quest X. That is all the data you'll need. Ninendo games don't sell just because of the brand or the marketing (otherwise explain games that aren't marketed anymore still topping the charts) they sell because of their consumer value. If more companies offered that, they too would do well. They don't.
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Romination
    @Al3xand3r: But the thing is that these cheap niche games  still sell on par with some of the bigger titles that get pushed out at times. Why does Game Party break a million sales and Dead Space Extraction sells less than 30,000? Yes, of course, Zelda and Mario and Smash Bros come out and they're out of the ball park, but other games are still pushed down lower, where even on the Gamecube these things would probably do better. If something like Chibi-Robo could turn into a sleeper hit THERE, what's going on here? 

And I can't show you that, but so what? My point stands. Wii will still beat the other consoles, but it won't be on the back of that game. Fine. This franchise won't help it win many favors. Mario will, Final Fantasy (even if it IS Crystal Chronicles) gets people, but otherwise, it's going to be more for Wii Fit or Wii Sports Resort or Game Party 3. 

It feels like I hit a button here...granted, I tend to get like that when people say something about Wii owners not wanting good games, but really...it's so barren for these games at times...
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Al3xand3r

I already addressed your nonexistent point about Dead Space in the last comment. No, it's not a "bigger title" at all. Also to pretend that it's the fault of GREAT casual games like Wii Sports Resort that we get shovelware is stupid. Nintendo makes great quality titles for the most part. If more companies made GOOD casual titles then they also deserved to sell (Boom Blox did). But Nintendo doesn't only make such titles. Why haven't they tried to replicate Super Mario Galaxy and make a grand platform game? Why not an Action RPG like Zelda or an FPS like Metroid Prime 3? What, a million sales isn't enough considering the lower development costs of the platform? What about the 8 million of Galaxy? Companies are just serving a self fulfilling prophecy and people like you buy into it without looking at the obvious bigger picture. It took insane amounts of investment for them to understand the "HD" market and exploit it (though there are plenty of flops on HD games, and tons of studios have shut down or dissolved or been acquired this generation thanks to said flops), but they don't invest anything in understanding and exploiting the Wii market. Good for Nintendo. Bad for them. Still, there's a sign of hope for some companies like CAPCOM and NAMCO and Square with games like Monster Hunter 3, Tales of Graces and Dragon Quest X. If more jump aboard the money train is up to them, not Nintendo or misconceptions about the Wii audience.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Romination
    @Al3xand3r: ...you really think the success of wii sports has nothing to do with Deca Sports or Let's Catch. Hmm. 
    I see this is like how Muppet's Party Cruise was in no way intended to have anything to do with Mario Party. 

I also mentioned the Nintendo first party games that sell well. Of course they do. And I said that. Mario is Mario. Even a bastardized, simplified counter-evolutionary game like New Super Mario can sell like hotcakes. Thank goodness the Wii had such graphical prowess to allow FOUR people on screen at once, eh, Miyamoto? Name more successes. That are third party. It get's more complicated. Not impossible, mind you. Complicated. 

A fan-loved franchise like Dragon Quest would still sell if they decided to put it on the ZX-Spectrum or Amiga.

And all I'm really saying is the good games are few and far between, and they don't sell as well as they should.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Al3xand3r

I didn't say they aren't related, I said it's stupid to blame great games like that. If companies make shovelware in hopes of matching them, it's their fault, and success won't be guaranteed so they should try and do better. Nintendo doesn't (usually) make shovelware, hence their success! How that came to mean that third parties should only make shovelware on Wii is beyond me. As for your trolling of NSMB Wii, well, I disagree. Why do I need to name "more" third party successes? I did several. My point was third parties don't make enough worthy games, enough effort to exploit the market, and the ones that do that perform well. If there aren't more such titles, how do I mention more? Why don't you mention good, big games like Monster Hunter 3 that did poorly on Wii and in doing so attempt to prove your nonexistent point for once? How about that then? Not with jokes like Dead Space: Extraction mind you, or niche games that perform well for what they are and wouldn't perform better on any other platform. Please. I love good niche games and I love that the Wii gets so many but to say they would do better elsewhere or Wii doesn't sell "big" games is ignorant.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By guiseppe

I doubt it. The quality games released in November for other systems will carry over to December and they will still "dominate". The only title of the ones you mentioned that's undoubtedly a quality title is the super mario game. And when you put that up to the competition of AC2 & MW2, I think it falls short. Then again, I'm not a huge mario fan so I guess that depends on the person.

GoronSurvivor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GoronSurvivor
    @Al3xand3r said:
    "Downplaying the first home console Mario game with purely 2D gameplay in something like a decade is stupid. As is calling Crystal Bearers just another Chronicles game considering how much of a departure from previous outings it is. As for the sales, it's less than 400k down from last year's sales, not half a million. But it's still more than other systems so I don't see what you're getting at with this. You're saying Nintendo doesn't win because they can't compete with their past self, despite destroying the competition? Your subjective talk of what game is or isn't worthy makes no difference in sales (the Wii has plenty more than the occasional Rabbids game), and that kind of stuff always come up when discussing Wii sales, but it's still consistently beating the competition by a large margin in the US, and holding its own in the significantly smaller market that is Japan.

U.S. Hardware Sales, October 2009

1. Wii 506.9K
    2. Nintendo DS 457.6K
    3. PlayStation 3 320.6K
    4. Xbox 360 249.7K
    5. PSP 174.6K
    6. PlayStation 2 117.8K
    November will be even better seeing that Thanksgiving sales already beat October! Nintendo loses because last year they did better? Laughable. That's the only spinning here, not demontium's post. And October didn't have a Thanksgiving burst of sales to cling to, not that Thanksgiving only works for Nintendo or anything, you'd think a boost would happen for all systems as Nintendo doesn't own holidays.

That said, Crystal Bearers and Silent Hill will not be big sellers (CB is coming Dec 26th?!). But that doesn't mean Wii and other software won't be.Of course demontium clarified he's not even talking about sales (so I don't know why he's mentioning New Super Mario Bros Wii since it's already released and doesn't count for December) so this little debate is useless and nobody can really tell him he's wrong since it's his opinion and if he likes those games, great for him, I hope he can get all of them for the holidays then. Have fun whatever you all end up playing on any system. "

Thank you! someone who knows what they're talking about... i really hate unwarranted Wii bashing.
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Romination
    @Al3xand3r: Yes, it's stupid that one game that sold well would create imitators. You're such the business expert. 

Disagree with my dislike of NSMB, but i loved the DS one, and this seems like a step back. Look at what World did to games. Now look at how...this...is.. comparatively less. It's so empty and 4-player is such chaos i don't find it fun and the graphics are just plain. 

You mentioned 3rd party games that aren't out.

Don't call Dead Space Extraction a joke if it has nearly the same review score aggregate as ODST. I really don't see where you're going with your argument, it doesn't seem to be saying anything.

You know what? You're really NOT saying anything. You're bringing up things I never said and making me scratch my head. A better point would be that these games just don't appeal to the mass Wii audience. Or that it's such a hugely owned console that getting the word out about these games is extremely difficult. Or that they're all such new IPs and that scares even the purest of games who own a Wii, who probably also own other systems and have to make a choice between them. Or the fact that Wii is seen as a family system so Madworld, aside from having excessive M ratedness, gets an already lesser audience from  not having a good multiplayer for everyone. It especially falls apart as you call my points stupid and ignorant. Ad hominem fallacies just make the argument seem weaker, my friend.

Let me get this straight, since this seems to have not been remembered: I love my Wii. I miss it so much right now because I'm all off in college. I've even been buying games for it, even though I can't PLAY them. I'm the LAST person to talk to about this. I got mine a month after it launched and generally ignore my other systems for it. It's a great system that is, unfortunately, overrun by shovelware. And I never once doubted that it would rule December, It generally rules every month anyways.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By toowalrus

Those are the games that should dominate December? I'd bet that the Xbox/PlayStation owners have a backlog of quality games waiting to be purchased as gifts.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Romination: You just twisted what I said to hell and back and/or shamelessly made shit up.

A) I said it's stupid they try to imitate Nintendo's good games with shit games. I don't know why I have to repeat this, I explained it thoroughly in the last comment. Yes, their creation is related. Yet, Nintendo's games like WSR are incredible fun and value, Nintendo has almost become synonymous with quality. You can't make a knock off that is comparatively shit and expect to compete. It's stupid. It's also stupid that they only immitate such games and not more serious genres like Super Mario Galaxy that also sold gangbusters, as if they don't exist. It's common sense. If you want Nintendo levels of success, why do you attempt to have it with anything other than Nintendo levels of funding, effort and quality? If you don't do or want that, then why wonder saturating the market with shovelware didn't work out well in the long run, like Ubisoft?

B) I mentioned several 3rd party games that are out. Learn to read. Well, I'm sure you read it but chose to pretend you missed it. Sad. As for the games I mentioned that aren't out, talk to me after they've had their releases. I know what I'm talking about and it will be proven for them also.

C) Review scores don't mean shit and don't make sales. Plenty of great scoring games underperform on all platforms. It's up to the game and how it's handled. JRPGs on the 360 or PS3 that don't have a FF caliber name associated with them (Valkyria Chronicles, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia, etc) sell a few hundred thousand units, on par with a cheap, niche and tiny in comparison project like House of the Dead: Overkill on Wii. Those huge projects are somehow worth developing and not flops, yet the Wii's bashed for titles that don't get a fraction of their development cost? I'll say again the many studios that have been troubled this gen (Factor 5, Pandemic, etc) are so after HD flops, not Wii flops. Development costs.

D.1) I say nothing? You made a random comment about how X type of game on Wii doesn't sell (implying it exists on it and/or sells elsewhere) with nothing to back it up and when confronted you sidestep the issue, ignore evidence of such games selling, ignore that you don't have a single example of such a game flopping, then try to make people believe games like Dead Space: Extraction, a low cost spin off of an underperforming franchise that has its fanbase elsewhere, are proof that such games don't sell on Wii, when there are several games in the same genre and style that have sold well on Wii showing the problem is with that particular game, not its style or themes. Just that game or how it was handled.

D.2) Now you mention an even more off base example, MadWorld. If MadWorld flopped because it's this type of game on Wii, why did No More Heroes do better? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's because it's a far better game, and while both are niche and lack mainstream appeal, No More Heroes is actually pretty damn sweet in comparison, so it earned a cult audience, while MadWorld simply failed to hold many people's attention despite the hopes we had for it, being by Platinum Games and all. If you honestly believe MadWorld would sell better on other systems with the exact same quality it had on Wii you're simply wrong, but let's grant you this one supposed argument and ask you this: Was the PS2 a system that created flops like Wii is? Because, you know, Platinum Games used to be Clover, and they made this little PS2 game of the same genre called God Hand, which flopped worse than MadWorld. So, let's settle this. Is it the studio's fault that they made games that don't appeal to many, or is it that the PS2 and Wii were systems bad for sales? I'll mention another game of theirs called Okami which also underperformed overall, yet also sold better with a very belated and somewhat dodgy Wii port than it did with the original PS2 release. I wonder how that can be explained. Since I mentioned No More Heroes, that also sold better than the same studio's last gen PS2 or multiplatform games. I don't know what else to say to prove to you that some games are simply niche with limited appeal due to their nature, and that it doesn't mean the platform they're on causes that, if obvious examples like these don't work. Perhaps you'll understand this as you grow older and watch how things like this develop.

E) Bonus mention: That you enjoyed NSMB DS over Wii says a lot about your taste. I'll just say it's weird, but that's besides the point here so I don't know why you even mentioned it. I didn't try to say my opinion over it is superior by simply saying I disagree but you just had to emphasise how your opinion is fact. Nice. Still, your taste in games, or mine for that matter, is irrelevant to this discussion. As is the fact you have a Wii. I couldn't care less and it doesn't make your arguments any more valid than they are(n't). It's weird how some people think owning thing X is an argument.
    alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45  Edited By alexl86

Depends on how you view it.

In sales: Yes, the Wii will dominate all consoles on the market, be it 360 or PS3... but we knew that, no big shock.

In titles: Yes, in December they have better releases. The Saboteur and Guitar Hero Van Helen are the only things with any hope of traction to come out for 360 and PS3, so..

The holiday season: No, are you mad? The strongest Wii title is NSMBW, and while that's better than last year, it's the only noteworthy title they have.

Quality-wise: the only reason why Wii should dominate December is because Sony and Microsoft don't want it. They already claimed the three months before.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By cstrang

I refuse to be dragged back into this thread.  There is far too much mud-slinging going on in here.  When you start calling people "pathetic" or "ignorant" when they're clearly not is a sign that this is no longer civil discourse or debate.  I can tell when people are arguing for the sake of arguing.  It's a shame TC left out the word "quality" (even though it is still very debatable that those three titles will be on a scale grander than the other non-Nintendo releases this quarter) until 10 hours ago, 'cause then this whole fucking mess could have been avoided.  

Make love, not war.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By demontium
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " @Romination said:

"@demontium: I don't see it as a turning point for third parties. Wii will NEVER have a turning point for third parties.  I'm a Wii apologist. I go out and buy any game that even TRIES to make itself have an identity that's not "i dunno, waggle is fun, isn't it?". So far, I think I've only missed Deadly Creatures and Dead Space.  And these games fail. It doesn't matter how good they are, how not-M-rated they are, these games get destroyed. Most Wii owners don't want these games. They're content to watch stuff happen when they move their magic stick. Final Fantasy and Mario are sure sells, but I'll be surprised if Silent Hill manages to even break HALF a million. For god's sake, look at Punch Out. People go apeshit over their memories of that game and it was still pretty miserable. Oh, man...  now i'm depressed."

That makes no sense at all. Cheap niche games don't sell big, news @ 11. That's a very stupid and ignorant point I'm sorry to say. Silent Hill doesn't need to break half a million either. It's not an AAA Konami game, it's a cheap little game made by a studio that's mostly been involved with ports and budget titles so far. Also, you should look at the sales of the last Silent Hill game that wasn't on Wii (Origins & The Room) and tell me why it should sell so much better on Wii to prove it can sell games when the franchise has failed so badly on the other current systems. If Dead Space didn't sell then EA did something wrong like I don't know, provide a game nobody fucking wanted. A spin off of an underperforming franchise that wasn't on Wii, a lightgun shooter when the original was a survival horror game. Who the fuck asked for that? To pretend the genre doesn't sell on Wii is also stupid when other titles like House of the Dead 2 & 3, Umbrella Chronicles and House of the Dead Overkill have done well for themselves. Clearly something was wrong with how that game was handled. And you pick that to show games don't sell but ignore the several others that did well? Lol. Games that are handled right sell on Wii. Monster Hunter 3 isn't a low-budget version of Monster Hunter, or a shitty on-rails spin off, and therefor sells just as well as the franchise always has. On Wii. Plus monthly fees. Plus low development costs compared to HD systems. The same success will continue for other games that are handled right with respect to the franchises and their fans, like Tales of Graces and Dragon Quest X. That is all the data you'll need. Ninendo games don't sell just because of the brand or the marketing (otherwise explain games that aren't marketed anymore still topping the charts) they sell because of their consumer value. If more companies offered that, they too would do well. They don't. "
    Thanks.
    Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By Knives

More like Q1 domination. 

No More Heroes 2 
    Sin and Punishment 2 
    Tatsunoko vs. Capcom

Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces  
    Red Steel 2 
    Fragile 
    Monster Hunter Tri

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49  Edited By Willy105
    @cstrang said:
    " I refuse to dragged back into this thread.  There is far too much mud-slinging going on in here.  When you start calling people "pathetic" or "ignorant" when they're clearly not is a sign that this is no longer civil discourse or debate.  I can tell when people are arguing for the sake of arguing.  It's a shame TC left out the word "quality" (even though it is still very debatable that those three titles will be on a scale grander than the other non-Nintendo releases this quarter) until 10 hours ago, 'cause then this whole fucking mess could have been avoided.    Make love, not war. "
    I agree.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Godwind

I wouldn't call that domination.  They don't look like terrible games but whatever.  I am not interested in Silent Hill.  I will probably pick up New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but not any time immediately.  I liked the first Chrystal chronicles because of its unique direction from the mainstream titles.  This game surprisingly isn't an RPG but an Action/Adventure game.

@Knives said:

" More like Q1 domination. 

No More Heroes 2 
    Sin and Punishment 2 
    Tatsunoko vs. Capcom

Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces  
    Red Steel 2 
    Fragile 
    Monster Hunter Tri

"

Anyone else notice this very two oriented.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.