Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Wii should dominate December

• 70 results
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By ThomasP

The only thing that matters is Tats vs Capcom coming January 26th, 2010. Okay, those other games are also cool, but I've been waiting for Tats a long time.

Nintendo will dominate December regardless. I wonder how long these sales will continue for, though. I think the PS3 will definitely benefit from some new gamers wanting to "upgrade", as well. The new price drop should pay off.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Romination
    @cstrang: yeah...i stopped posting here. It's getting weird, I don't even know what happened anymore. I'm calling a truce on grounds of 'what the fuck were we even saying' and 'i will never state my opinion again'.

@Knives said:
    " More like Q1 domination. 

No More Heroes 2 
    Sin and Punishment 2 
    Tatsunoko vs. Capcom

Red Steel 2 
    Fragile

"

I think I just peed my pants. I need a job...I forgot about all of these.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Linkyshinks

I can only see the majority of Wii owners rushing out to buy only one of those games, and that's Nintendo's game.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#54  Edited By demontium
    @Romination: Great, its dominating the end of Q4 '09 and Q1 '10. 

GOOD JOB NINTENDO! 

@Linkyshinks: True, but the hardcore wii owners will hopefully lay down their bucks.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By demontium
    @alexl86 said:
    " Depends on how you view it.  In sales: Yes, the Wii will dominate all consoles on the market, be it 360 or PS3... but we knew that, no big shock.  In titles: Yes, in December they have better releases. The Saboteur and Guitar Hero Van Helen are the only things with any hope of traction to come out for 360 and PS3, so..  The holiday season: No, are you mad? The strongest Wii title is NSMBW, and while that's better than last year, it's the only noteworthy title they have.  Quality-wise: the only reason why Wii should dominate December is because Sony and Microsoft don't want it. They already claimed the three months before. "
    Wow, FFCC:CB and silent hill are going to be much better than the saboteur (which is already getting mediocre reviews) and any Guitar Hero game. 

Also, in sales nintendo may win console wise but that is not even what we are discussing (unless you mean title wise which it looses there).
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Romination
    @Linkyshinks: this is basically everything i said in a sentence.
    alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#57  Edited By alexl86
    @Knives said:

No More Heroes 2 
    Sin and Punishment 2 
    Tatsunoko vs. Capcom

Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces  
    Red Steel 2 
    Fragile 
    Monster Hunter Tri

"
    Sorry, but Wii doesn't stand a chance in Q1, in terms of big titles at least. It's going up against BioShock 2, Mass Effect 2, Final Fantasy XIII, God of War III, Splinter Cell Conviction, and at least 10 other games that look promising. Q1 is a slaughter and the Wii has the weakest line-up.
    Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 9

#58  Edited By Knives
    @alexl86 said:
    " @Knives said:

No More Heroes 2 
    Sin and Punishment 2 
    Tatsunoko vs. Capcom

Red Steel 2 
    Fragile 
    Monster Hunter Tri

"
    Sorry, but Wii doesn't stand a chance in Q1, in terms of big titles at least. It's going up against BioShock 2, Mass Effect 2, Final Fantasy XIII, God of War III, Splinter Cell Conviction, and at least 10 other games that look promising. Q1 is a slaughter and the Wii has the weakest line-up. "
    And yet, how many of those games can you say belong to a platform? One or two? All of those games unequivocally belong to the Nintendo Wii and nothing else.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#59  Edited By Willy105
    @alexl86 said:
    " @Knives said:

No More Heroes 2 
    Sin and Punishment 2 
    Tatsunoko vs. Capcom

Red Steel 2 
    Fragile 
    Monster Hunter Tri

"
    Sorry, but Wii doesn't stand a chance in Q1, in terms of big titles at least. It's going up against BioShock 2, Mass Effect 2, Final Fantasy XIII, God of War III, Splinter Cell Conviction, and at least 10 other games that look promising. Q1 is a slaughter and the Wii has the weakest line-up. "
    With the exception of Final Fantasy XIII, other than being more expensive, there is no difference is epicness between the HD twins and the Wii, other than the Giantbomb community going to be hogging the HD games instead of the Wii ones.
    Ramyun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Ramyun
    @RaikohBlade said:
    " Naoto should dominate December. "
    Naoto should dominate me! Wait...did I say that out loud?
    alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#61  Edited By alexl86
    @Knives said:
    " @alexl86 said:
    " @Knives said:

No More Heroes 2 
    Sin and Punishment 2 
    Tatsunoko vs. Capcom

Red Steel 2 
    Fragile 
    Monster Hunter Tri

"
    And yet, how many of those games can you say belong to a platform? One or two? All of those games unequivocally belong to the Nintendo Wii and nothing else. "
    Yes, Nintendo decided to go in a completely different direction this generation, which I admire. As a result, almost all the games that come out on the system is an exclusive(even "ports" would fall into this category because the system is so different), because the controller is completely different from the two competitors and there's a huge technical gap.

Your point about exclusivity is a moot one. Just because the Wii has more exclusives, doesn't make those great multiplatform games suddenly appear on the system itself. Just because PS3 and 360 "share" a lot of games, doesn't make the Wii list more special because they are mostly exclusives.

Just for the record: God of War III is PS3 exclusive, Mass Effect 2 and Splinter Cell: Conviction are only for 360 and PC(which effectively makes it 360 exclusive).
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62  Edited By JJOR64
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " Who cares? "
    That's what I was thinking.  As long each system sells well, I'm happy.
    RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By RaikohBlade
    @Ramyun said:
    " @RaikohBlade said:
    " Naoto should dominate December. "
    Naoto should dominate me! Wait...did I say that out loud? "
    Haha, nice one. I wouldn't mind being dominated by Naoto either, except she is just not that kind of girl. Go Naoto!
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#64  Edited By sjschmidt93

NSMBW will sell more than both of those combined times 2.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#65  Edited By C0V3RT

I'll give you New Super Mario Brothers Wii but people that actually care about Silent Hill and Final Fantasy aren't playing Wii.  In addition, if you were to walk up to the casual gamer that consists of most of the Wii's audience and mention "Final Fantasy" or "Silent Hill" - they'd look at you like you were speaking Greek.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @C0V3RT said:

"I'll give you New Super Mario Brothers Wii but people that actually care about Silent Hill and Final Fantasy aren't playing Wii.  In addition, if you were to walk up to the casual gamer that consists of most of the Wii's audience and mention "Final Fantasy" or "Silent Hill" - they'd look at you like you were speaking Greek. "

Newsflash: Final Fantasy is casual. Unless we're talking Final Fantasy Tactics or similar (but those don't sell as much). The PlayStation brand won its first console war thanks to casual games like Final Fantasy and EA Sports titles. This continued on the next system with even more casual IP added on top like Grand Theft Auto. That doesn't nulify the many great "core" offerings it had. Similarly for the Wii and its own casual games. As for Silent Hill, I guess people who care about that franchise don't play any console then, because the last few games (PS360), especially The Room, didn't sell great. To require equal or better sales on Wii, despite the fact this game is by a small studio mostly doing port jobs and spin offs instead of an AAA Konami team (so it only had a fraction of the previous games' cost) is absurd. Anyway, he wasn't talking sales, just his taste in games.
    C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#67  Edited By C0V3RT
    @Al3xand3r said:
    "@C0V3RT said:

"I'll give you New Super Mario Brothers Wii but people that actually care about Silent Hill and Final Fantasy aren't playing Wii.  In addition, if you were to walk up to the casual gamer that consists of most of the Wii's audience and mention "Final Fantasy" or "Silent Hill" - they'd look at you like you were speaking Greek. "

Newsflash: Final Fantasy is casual. Unless we're talking Final Fantasy Tactics or similar (but those don't sell as much). The PlayStation brand won its first console war thanks to casual games like Final Fantasy and EA Sports titles. This continued on the next system with even more casual IP added on top like Grand Theft Auto. That doesn't nulify the many great "core" offerings it had. Similarly for the Wii and its own casual games. As for Silent Hill, I guess people who care about that franchise don't play any console then, because the last few games (PS360), especially The Room, didn't sell great. To require equal or better sales on Wii, despite the fact this game is by a small studio mostly doing port jobs and spin offs instead of an AAA Konami team (so it only had a fraction of the previous games' cost) is absurd. Anyway, he wasn't talking sales, just his taste in games. "
    Eh - I'd be willing to debate the Final Fantasy being casual with you.  I'd also be willing to debate that EA Sports titles and GTA not being casual, but not the subject at hand, PM me if you want to get into that. 

It (Final Fantasy) may be a casual game - but it doesn't necessarily appeal to the casual audience that makes up majority of the Wii's population.  It's a given that anyone who had an investment of any kind in the last gen of consoles is going to know what Final Fantasy is, but the large number of people that make up the Wii's install base have no clue what Final Fantasy is.  It's the audience that came out of the woodwork to buy their first console in 10+ years that doesn't know or care.  I can safely bet that if I asked everyone I know that owns a Wii if they're looking forward to the upcoming Final Fantasy relase, 90% would respond, "What did you say about Wii bowling?" 

Is Silent Hill even franchise people care about anymore?  I'm aware of the sales numbers you're talking about, and all signs point to this game tanking.  Combine a franchise thats in the shitter with an M rated game on the Wii (Madworld...great game but no one bought it) and that has failure written all over it. 

The conversation started out about preference, but when MW2 sales were brought into the picture and he pointed out that pretty much everyone who wanted MW2 already bought it, sales came into the picture. 

Despite the tone of my message, I'm not trying to shit on it.  For once there are actually games on it I'd like to play coming out (No More Heroes 2).  I've also got Okami and A Boy and his Blob (nostalgic reasons) still wrapped waiting for some attention.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By demontium
    @C0V3RT said:
    " I'll give you New Super Mario Brothers Wii but people that actually care about Silent Hill and Final Fantasy aren't playing Wii.  In addition, if you were to walk up to the casual gamer that consists of most of the Wii's audience and mention "Final Fantasy" or "Silent Hill" - they'd look at you like you were speaking Greek. "
    Really? 

Hasn't EVERY FFCC game been on a nintendo system? 

Did you see the sales of Resident evil and how that would apply to SH?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @C0V3RT: You're right, casual games like Final Fantasy, EA Sports' titles, the GTA games, and even all the Hero games can appeal to a different casual audience than Wii's casual games like Wii Sports Resort do. But they're still casual (core gamers also play them, just like WSR). So, yes, there's a vast casual userbase on all systems, not just Wii. They're just different. Of course there's also a big overlap seeing as EA Sports' Tiger Woods 10 (and I believe 09 before that) sold best on Wii for example, as do Activision's Guitar Hero games. Why? Because they didn't cut corners more than they should do with lame excuses like the Wii's abilities. Other EA games like their soccer and football titles didn't do as good because they didn't handle them right and didn't provide the quality product the fanbase expected. It's not hard to see why Madden 10 Wii failed.

If Wii has no "AAA" type games that did incredibly well (if we want to ignore Nintendo's own games of course, which is very convenient for this argument) it's only because there are no such games on it, not because it can't sell them. Companies have started to see the potential however, hence why games like Monster Hunter 3 and Dragon Quest X have been announced. Less massively succesful yet quality franchises like Namco's Tales also have sequels set for Wii after being on the PS360, because of this same sales potential. Western developers don't see that potential so there are no such examples, but that is once again their own fault for misunderstanding their own market, and has little to do with Wii (edit: actually, Ubisoft, the Kings of Wii shovelware, have also started doing quality games like Rabbids Go Home - which they say is taking off in sales - and Red Steel 2 since shovelware sales declined). The good Wii games so far are either Nintendo's, or niche games that sell good for what they are but lack mainstream appeal and marketing prowess. I love them, but they wouldn't sell better on other systems, and they'd cost more to be up to that graphical standard. There are too many studios that shut down after HD bombs, and major companies are losing profit thanks to increased costs.

MadWorld is far from a great game and it sold better than Clover's (now Platinum Games) PlayStation 2 beat 'em up God Hand. Their other game, Okami, also did better on Wii with a belated, dodgy port than the initial PlayStation 2 release. Does that mean the PS2 was even worse than Wii for "core" games? Of course not. The same goes for Wii. Why not point out other M rated games that did far better than MadWorld like Resident Evil 4 or even No More Heroes which is also Grasshopper Manufacture's most succesful title yet, even though they made multiplatform titles in the past? I'm tired of repeating the same things over and over every time someone who doesn't do enough research makes such points about Wii, its userbase, and the sales potential of certain types of games and all the examples given are of games that would bomb hard on any system.

And yes, that was my point about Silent Hill, that it won't do well, but not because of Wii but because it's a franchise in decline and this new game, while potentially solid, has no real backing from its parent company like the earlier Silent Hill games did, as it's not even made in house. As for The Crystal Bearers, it's a fresh direction for Square. If it will appeal to people remains to be seen, but chances are it wouldn't do better on other systems than it will do on Wii, especially since it carries the almost tainted Crystal Chronicles branding, it comes up against FFXIII's imminent release, it's released on December 26th in the US, and it would have much higher development cost on PS360. I'll personally happily take it over yet another conventional Final Fantasy. Because of that you can't just claim that the reason The Crystal Bearers won't perform like a normal Final Fantasy game is that Wii doesn't have Final Fantasy playing gamers. They're diferent games. The only valid comparison will be whenever Dragon Quest X arrives, and I'm sure that will sell insanely well given the franchise's history, but it will take ages to show up just like FFXIII took ages to be released after the first announcement. See the previous page for tons more elaboration, you sadly aren't the first to make such arguments.

PS: I'm only using the word "casual" for the average Giant Bomb user to understand what I'm talking about. I prefer the term "mainstream" myself. I don't do the distinction between "casual" and "hardcore" exactly because so many games people think are "hardcore" are also "casual" played by people who don't know anything else about video games and because many games considered "casual" can have a depth and quality that keeps the most "hardcore" gamer occupied. There's too much overlap to just flat out call them that, I only do it for the purpose of such discussions.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By demontium
    @Al3xand3r: He is not going to respond. 

(hopefully this reverse psychology will work) 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.