Wii System Update 4.1 Now Available

#1 Edited by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -
Wii System Update 4.1 is now available.

The update is supposedly for Wii Sports Resort - Earlier this month an update was able to patch a bug found in the game in Japan, and it's likely to be used for a similar effect here in the west.

Owners should also expect the "behind the scenes" adjustments to enhance the systems overall performance.

#2 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

It's not essential, it just has to do with the intro video telling you how to, uh, put the motion plus on your remote. Under some conditions it could be played every time you start the game, as opposed to just the first time, or something along those lines. Annoying. Couldn't they just patch the game code for the European release instead of release a patch just for that? Unless it does other things too...

#3 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Someone mentioned reading SD contents is quicker now, but not the actual loading through it. Since you have tons of shit on it, is it?

#4 Posted by Pazy (2561 posts) -

Im not going to bother updating until I know I can keep my homebrew, its too much fun playing Quake and emulations (as well as purely homebrew games and apps). Apart from 4.0 they dont seem to add very much with updates (even then it was just SD card which still loads through the internal storage) and mostly seem to be "security" things (read block homebrew).

#5 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

All of my VC games vanished from my SD card!, for no apparent reason. I'm having to download each one one by one, it's going to take the whole fucking day!

#6 Edited by Pazy (2561 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
" All of my VC games vanished from my SD card!, for no apparent reason. I'm having to download each one one by one, it's going to take the whole fucking day! "
In that case screw this update even more lol even though they own the content on your SD card they have no right to delete data on your SD card. Perhaps preventing you from seeing it, on your Wii, might be "allowed" but its incredibly stupid and offensive.
#7 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

I have no idea what happened, all I know is that I've never touched any of that data ever. 90+ games is going to take most of the day to download. I'm not happy at all...

#8 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
" I have no idea what happened, all I know is that I've never touched any of that data ever. 90+ games is going to take most of the day to download. I'm not happy at all... "
This is why I don't like digital copies of games.  I want my games in a tangible form, so that I truly own it. 

Call me old school  :-)
#9 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

@oldschool said:
" @Linkyshinks said:
" I have no idea what happened, all I know is that I've never touched any of that data ever. 90+ games is going to take most of the day to download. I'm not happy at all... "
This is why I don't like digital copies of games.  I want my games in a tangible form, so that I truly own it. 

"

It's taking an age, waiting for pages to load, I have another 8 pages of games to download - it's a total nightmare!

This is why I call the Wii cumbersome crap. Forget about the games, I'm talking about the workings of the console, it's data storage and management, the online service -the Wii Shop, all suck terribly in comparison to Microsoft's and Sony's services. I would rather pay annually than having to undergo this crap.

#10 Edited by Willy105 (4688 posts) -

I got it. Pretty simple.

@Linkyshinks said:

"
@oldschool said:
" @Linkyshinks said:

"
It's taking an age, waiting for pages to load, I have another 8 pages of games to download - it's a total nightmare! This is why I call the Wii cumbersome crap. Forget about the games, I'm talking about the workings of the console, it's data storage and management, the online service -the Wii Shop, all suck terribly in comparison to Microsoft's and Sony's services. I would rather pay annually than having to undergo this crap. "

Pay? That's insane.
#11 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

I agree with Linky. The Wii's data management, online, DL and Multiplayer services are archaic, slow, bad and embarrassingly amateurish.

#12 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

I find the store and downloads fine personally, it's only a pain if you have to download so many games at once, which doesn't happen often... Pages should load faster in that case, that's true, but you don't need to browse so many for regular use. I only had to get them all again once when I accidentally deleted the folder while browsing the files on my PC, but I only have like 2 (or by now 3) pages of stuff, not 8. Other than that, it's not very different to the PSP's handling of the Sony store, though that one's much speedier in changing categories and such, and I think it doesn't separate your purchased games list in multiple pages, though I'm not sure since the Euro PSN has very few games I wanted.

I do wonder why you can't load your stuff directly from SD though (even if in practice it works just as well for the games I have), surely the read speeds are sufficient... Perhaps the preload to the internal memory is only there to check you actually own the game or something like that.

#13 Edited by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

The sad fact of the matter is I have to write what games I own on a tatty piece of paper, I think that speaks volumes about how terrible it is. I showed my friend earlier and he laughed saying "Nintendo are sooo shit". He's completely right, they are.

Nintendo deleted all the 97 VC/WiiWare games I own because a glitch meant they were seen as fake, when they were not. it's a fucking joke...

#14 Edited by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -

Ack. I'm gonna hold off for now. Linkyshinks, correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you back up your SD card games to your PC to prevent having to DL everything from the shop again?

#15 Edited by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

Yes, I could have done that, and I will be from now on, there's no way in hell I am enduring this mind numbing chore again.

#16 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
" The sad fact of the matter is I have to write what games I own on a tatty piece of paper, I think that speaks volumes about how terrible it is. I showed my friend earlier and he laughed saying "Nintendo are sooo shit". He's completely right, they are.Nintendo deleted all the 97 VC/WiiWare games I own because a glitch meant they were seen as fake, when they were not. it's a fucking joke...  "
Why do you have to write that? Go to the "downloaded titles" page and it should have them there. It does for me. Unless it doesn't show all 90 :S
#17 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

Of course I use that tab.. it's still completely useless to me when games are spread over numerous pages.

#18 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

I still don't see why you have to write their names down... Download in order from last to first and each time remember the last you got?

Anyway, whatever works for you. Hopefully they'll improve the interface at some point, it seems to be all web based anyway...

#19 Posted by ThomasP (1655 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
It's taking an age, waiting for pages to load, I have another 8 pages of games to download - it's a total nightmare! This is why I call the Wii cumbersome crap. Forget about the games, I'm talking about the workings of the console, it's data storage and management, the online service -the Wii Shop, all suck terribly in comparison to Microsoft's and Sony's services. I would rather pay annually than having to undergo this crap. "
I agree. Nintendo should have released a better service. It really is shit in comparison to Live and PSN. It's funny to think most people complain about the games... I think the game catalog is fine. I just want to have a good online service, no friend codes, etc...
#20 Posted by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -

hell, the wii underperfoming was part of the original marketing plan.

"First, how do you satisfy the core while still expanding appeal? And second, how do you leverage your strengths against entirely untapped audiences--to the so-called "blue oceans" in popular marketing speak? ... Provide a new product that actually underperforms on an established industry metric for "progress," and substitute an alternative that typically is smaller, less expensive and easier to use. Initially, the "core" of any industry will scoff. But if the product is right, enough new users will be attracted to form an alternative definition for progress.:

#21 Posted by damnboyadvance (4059 posts) -

So, they have to release a whole new update just for Wii Sports Resort? That's what I hate about the Wii. There is no way to get patches or anything, so if your game runs like crap, you're gonna have to stick with it. Come on Nintendo, get in the game! Get a whole new online service! And get rid of the crappy friend codes!

#22 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -

Good thing I removed my memory card while updating, I should go back to see if it is still there.

#23 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -
@Godwind said:
" Good thing I removed my memory card while updating, I should go back to see if it is still there. "

I will be doing the same in future, along with backing up everything on PC.
#24 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

sidescroller:
No.

#25 Posted by Pazy (2561 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
" Ack. I'm gonna hold off for now. Linkyshinks, correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you back up your SD card games to your PC to prevent having to DL everything from the shop again? "
Ive not had much experience with Nintendo's way of handling this but if they saw it as "Fake" once and deleted it then whats the chances they would see it as "fake" if they wiped it and the same data showed up again (backed up from a pc?). You should definately back up but in this circumstance I doubt that would solve the problem.
#26 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

I contacted Nintendo's tech support, and they told me it can only have been a glitch, and that no others had reported a similar problem with this update. Still, they are sending 1000 Wii Points for the inconvenience it has caused me.

#27 Edited by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Thats pretty decent of them.

#28 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
" I contacted Nintendo's tech support, and they told me it can only have been a glitch, and that no others had reported a similar problem with this update. Still, they are sending 1000 Wii Points for the inconvenience it has caused me. "
Arg, dude, you should have said that before I updated.  Now  I can't get my free 1,000 points.
#29 Posted by Pazy (2561 posts) -
@Godwind said:
" @Linkyshinks said:
" I contacted Nintendo's tech support, and they told me it can only have been a glitch, and that no others had reported a similar problem with this update. Still, they are sending 1000 Wii Points for the inconvenience it has caused me. "
Arg, dude, you should have said that before I updated.  Now  I can't get my free 1,000 points. "
How will they know even if you contact them now?
#30 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
@Pazy said:
" @Godwind said:
" @Linkyshinks said:
Arg, dude, you should have said that before I updated.  Now  I can't get my free 1,000 points. "
How will they know even if you contact them now? "

I checked out my memory card and the games are gone.  So much for updating while removing the games.
#31 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Guess I'm the only one here who updated without issues then. All my VC and WW games are intact.

#32 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" Guess I'm the only one here who updated without issues then. All my VC and WW games are intact. "
Envy and rage, and some fury.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.