Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Wii to VGA or DVI?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

Edit: The topic may be overlooked due to the Wii, so, my request is for COMPOSITE TO VGA OR DVI, or COMPONENT TO VGA OR DVI solutions.

Original: I think there was another thread like this... But I'm still looking for a good, affordable solution that people can cite personal experiences of. Those are the only ports my PC monitor has, one is taken up by my actual PC but I can change it if need be, it can use either VGA or DVI.

So, what's the best solution to connect the Wii in a VGA or DVI input? Remember, affordable is the key point, and keep in mind the cost of component cables if I have to also get those, don't suggest some $300 VGA box on top of $60 cables please.

I guess the standard Wii cables are composite so is there any composite to VGA or DVI converter? It could be used for other consoles, not just the Wii, right? There must be something good, functional and affordable out there, right? Alternatively, what I said about component.

If it's not cheap then I can settle for my crappy TV that's smaller than my monitor... But I'd rather not.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

I think the ideal solution here would be to get a set of component cables for your Wii so you can output in 480p.  From there, you're going to need a female to female component video adapter like this and then on the other side, you'll need something like this component to VGA cable.

I have no idea if this will work with your monitor, but it may be worth a shot, especially considering that the parts (besides the Wii component cable) should run you less than $10.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

Wow. That looks simple and cool. Would it, in theory, work then? Why would it not work for "my" monitor, same VGA port and all?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mike

Different monitors handle their VGA decoding in strange ways - I mean it's not guaranteed to work, but it should.  If I was you, I'd try it for sure especially considering how cheap it is.  It will work because component video and VGA are virtually identical, component only lacks the sync information that some computer monitors require.  That's why the adapter is so cheap - there is no conversion going on, like if you were buying a component to HDMI converter.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

I see. And it should result in fullscreen image, not some kind of letterbox, right?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mike

I have no idea since I don't know what ratio your monitor is.  It should work out pretty close either way, though.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r

16:10, 1680x1050.

I meant, the image will be stretched to fit, rather than run at the native Wii component resolution in letterbox in the center of the monitor. Yeah?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mike

Exactly - your monitor will scale it to fit.  Just set the Wii to 16x9 widescreen.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

Excellent, I'll see if I can find this gear here then. Some of it will be easy but other bits not so much. So if anyone has alternatives feel free to discuss. Or praise MB for this bit of info, I googled for ages and never came across these suggestions. Rememeber, it's not just for WIi ^_^

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Meowayne
    MB said:
    "Exactly - your monitor will scale it to fit. "
    Which will most probably look horrible. Keep that in mind.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

I'm aware, isn't it the same with TVs though? It wasn't bad when I had the Wii to the living room TV (dunno size, it's old and big is all I know). Though the new image clarity may make it worse I guess. But still better than playing on a crappy tiny TV, right? Can't shoot them tiny zombies!

Edit: I see I have a stalker lol, all my posts get -1. You're hurting me, I care so much about ratings, I don't even know where to see mine :(

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By oldschool
    Al3xand3r said:
    Edit: I see I have a stalker lol, all my posts get -1. You're hurting me, I care so much about ratings, I don't even know where to see mine :("
    Though Alex, I am one of your anti-stalkers.  We seem to be in a lot of the same threads and I will admit, that I correct yours (and a few others) -1s.  I also put money in other people's parking meters :-)  I'm just that type of guy.
    CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

It should look OK, it's only the same as using a lower resolution on your monitor, and that's not awful, just not as sharp.

I'd love to hear how this goes, if you do try it do you think you could take some photos or something?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r

I was gonna say I'd print screen then realised how dumb that is. Lol. No print screen since the image won't go through the PC :P
    Don't have a cam other than this webcam and it would hardly show anything decent, sorry. It will also take me a while to get these cable thingies, component should be easy enough to get but not the rest stuff. I looked @ all the local online stores' cable sections and none have those listed...

Thanks oldschool.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Meowayne

If you ask me, the Wii picture, component or not, looks better on an old tube TV; it really isn't too great what many modern flatscreen TVs do with a SD signal; the fact that 90% of Wii games aren't even proper 480p/16:9 but have heavy over/underscan  doesn't really help, either. And that combined with several image adaptors and additional stretch to 16:10? I don't know, dude.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well, what Newten said makes sense, that it would look similar to my PC's image quality if I was to set it to really low res here, like 640x whatever or something (actually with the drivers installed it won't even go that low here so I can't check to see how bad it is, lol, can only go down to 800x600). I just checked at this mode and it's not so terrible, and when playing the Wii I won't be sitting half a metre away either like now.

Anyway, really, anything's better than my 14" tv. I should be fine, I used to have a crappy PC some years ago and played the likes of F.E.A.R. on 800x600 with that image scaling on top which basically run it @ even lower res and stretched the image in a diff method or something.

Anyway, I just hope I can find these cables really.

Maybe for people who have a video card with video in inputs they can pass their consoles through that and thus somehow also enable anti aliasing or other filters to the image? But I can't anyway, my current NV card doesn't have such plugs, my last Ati did but probably not suitable.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Godwind
    Al3xand3r said:
    " I just checked at this mode and it's not so terrible, and when playing the Wii I won't be sitting half a metre away either like now.Anyway, really, anything's better than my 14" tv."
    Ouch.  I was like "How the hell does someone play games like that!?"  A small screen can't be all that fun to play on.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r

That's why I want to get this, my monitor is 20"
    Not huge liks others' but sufficient.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By JoelTGM

My brother hooked his PS3 up to his computer monitor by getting an HDMI to DVI adapter at futureshop.  As for the DVI cable to connect the PS3 to the monitor, he already had one laying around so he used that.  and I just realized the Wii of course does not have an HDMI port, but perhaps you can find a component or composite to DVI adapter/cable.  Also, make sure your monitor has a DVI input.   lol wow I totally am not helping much.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Al3xand3r

Meh, I've looked everywhere here and all I can find is the Wii component cable, none of the other stuff...
    Any reliable cheap place that ships to Greece and has cable extention and component to vga stocked?

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cspiffo

Try Amazon.co.uk 

Amazon usually has all that stuff too.  There's also a French and German site if you speak on of those languages.

Also, I'm not so sure this little experiment will work but you can give it a try.  Component cables just don't supply enough information for standard monitors to translate the signal.  It's cheap enough solution to be worth a shot though.  You'll probably need one of these as well.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Al3xand3r

No, just English :(
    Amazon UK ships to all of Europe then?

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cspiffo
    Al3xand3r said:
    "No, just English :(Amazon UK ships to all of Europe then?"
    Yup!
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Al3xand3r

I can't find the component extension on Amazon UK, can you help? I search like here but I don't see anything similar.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cspiffo
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Al3xand3r

Sweet. Couplers then! Thanks!

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cspiffo

Sure thing.  Like I said though.  It probably won't work on your monitor.  Component and VGA are two different signals.  While VGA sends 3 separate color channels and two H/V synch channels Component sends two color channels (Red and Blue,  and a black & white plus sych channel (Green).  The green color channel is interpreted by a YPbPr video processor built into TVs and monitors that support that input standard.  If you use a component to VGA adapter you will see a picture but it will probably look wrong.  Those VGA adapters are designed for devices that can send an actual RGB signal over component like a computer video card.  Then again, its a cheap experiment if you want to see if your monitor supports YPbPr over VGA.  It probably won't though.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Al3xand3r

Oh... Can't I see it somewhere in the monitor's stats? :S
    It's an LG Flatron Wide 20" 1680x1050.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By cspiffo

Maybe call up LG and find out.  I don't personally know of any monitor that can interpret YPbPr over VGA.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Al3xand3r

x_x

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Al3xand3r

Does stuff like this work then?

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By cspiffo

I can't vouche for the quality but it looks like their is a converter built into the cable so, yeah.  It should work.  VGA box can vary widely in price and quality.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Al3xand3r

So is there this "converter" thing you say to buy stand alone and use in conjuction with the other cables then?

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By cspiffo
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Al3xand3r

Gah... How would I chose the right one... Why isn't this process simple :(

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By cspiffo

That's always the hard part! :^D.  My experience with these things has always been hit or miss.  I've had some work great but others just crap out on you.  Just go by product reviews maybe.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Al3xand3r

That cable I linked you said has built in converter has both good and bad reviews... And the bad are worrying... And thn other boxes have no reviews at all despite the fact I have them shown by "best selling" first or also have good or bad reviews :S

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By cspiffo

well, I gotta go to work now so let me know what you decide to do.  Maybe you should do a little google research first before purchasing.  Let me know what you plan on doing with a post here I'll comment after I get home.  See Yah.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Al3xand3r

Just an update for those who helped me, it will be a while until I get to this as I chose to buy some other gear with my remaining cash :P
    Namely a classic controller for the Wii, an Xbox 360 controller for my PC, finally Smash Bros for Wii, a 16GB SDHC + USB card reader, and some other non gaming stuff. But I'll definitelly get back to this at some point so your help wasn't in vain! Then again, there always are new games to buy with Excite Truck and Punch-Out!! coming soon so it may be quite a while...

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By cspiffo

Nice Haul :^D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.