Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Wii Update

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Wii players received an update earlier today with some very minor changes it seems.

Essentially it's not particularly worth reporting, but for those who like to know exactly what's what..

• Wii Points have been renamed Nintendo Points in the Wii Shopping Channel, with all previous references fixed. Functionality will remain the same, so essentially just a name change.
    • Controller usage explanation screen will be updated with a separate page for each. Users will be prompted to confirm they have the right pads etc before buying.
    • Some icon designs will be updated.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By Dalai

So that update this morning was no big deal then?  Good to know.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Dalai said:
    "So that update this morning was no big deal then?  Good to know."

Why, have you avoided it also?. I wish to keep using my Freeloader for a while yet, especially with the games that are due In Japan and the U.S. I would like to get Tatsunoko Vs Capcom and perhaps Little King Story in the coming weeks.

I wanna know if Nintendo are including the block out code in all future updates.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Dalai
    Linkyshinks said:
    "Dalai said:
    "So that update this morning was no big deal then?  Good to know."

Why, have you avoided it also?. I wish to keep using my Freeloader for a while yet, especially with the games that are due In Japan and the U.S. I would like to get Tatsunoko Vs Capcom and perhaps Little King Story in the coming weeks.

I wanna know if Nintendo are including the block out code in all future updates.

"
    No I downloaded it this morning then shut it off for the day.  I just didn't see any differences myself.  I don't do any importing or modding.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Milkman

I was wondering why my Wii was glowing earlier.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By brukaoru

Nintendo points sounds much better. Doesn't seem like a big deal for an update otherwise, unless I'm missing something.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks
    brukaoru said:
    "Nintendo points sounds much better. Doesn't seem like a big deal for an update otherwise, unless I'm missing something.
    "

Yeah Nintendo Points does sound a lot better. I think they may have done this because they are going to be dishing out content that is not solely for Wii, but also DSi eventually.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Emilio

Yeah I got the update... but... when is my Club Nintendo coming? :(

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Emilio said:
    "Yeah I got the update... but... when is my Club Nintendo coming? :("

You have a long while yet I reckon, it will likely take a while to get all that in place. When that does become active, in settings you will have the option to link your Club Nintendo account with your Wii. This will mean you will be able to exchange stars ( game pin numbers in US currently) for the newly titled Nintendo Points.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Meowayne
    Linkyshinks said:

Essentially it's not particularly worth reporting, but for those who like to know exactly what's what..

• Wii Points have been renamed Nintendo Points in the Wii Shopping Channel, with all previous references fixed. Functionality will remain the same, so essentially just a name change.
    • Controller usage explanation screen will be updated with a separate page for each. Users will be prompted to confirm they have the right pads etc before buying.
    • Bugs that allowed Wiiware- and VC-piracy as well as custom channels have been fixed.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Meowayne said:
    "Linkyshinks said:

• Bugs that allowed Wiiware- and VC-piracy as well as custom channels have been fixed.

"

O really, thanks for pointing that out, if it has that blatantly means it has the Freeloader block out code also. = fuck getting this update.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

People report the homebrew channel still works fine (I haven't used it so cannot confirm). Also, points are still called Nintendo points, they only changed for the Japanse Wiis. I'm not sure if the rest store changes are also just for Japan for now.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Endogene
    Al3xand3r said:
    "People report the homebrew channel still works fine (I haven't used it so cannot confirm). Also, points are still called Nintendo points, they only changed for the Japanse Wiis. I'm not sure if the rest store changes are also just for Japan for now."
    I will continue to work if you installed it before the update, yuo wont be able to install it after the update however.
    But i give it 4 days before there is a work around.
    Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Dark_Link142

Nothing big. Just a slight change.

sumo73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sumo73

Apart from the above I couldn't access the Shopping Channel until I did a System Update. Anyone who still has 3.2 installed on their machines but still want to buy stuff from the Shopping Channel well you can't unless you update.

Roy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Roy42

I'm glad that the wii at my dad's hasn't been upgraded in crap knows how long, and since I don't use the shop there I may screw the update and put homebrew on it. Unless there's a workaround.

screwed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By screwed
    Roy42 said:
    "I'm glad that the wii at my dad's hasn't been upgraded in crap knows how long, and since I don't use the shop there I may screw the update and put homebrew on it. Unless there's a workaround."
    There is a workaround, some people have made a patch.. sort of, it patches the Wii Shop part so you can use the new version for the Wii Shop, but doesnt change anything else. Including the removal of the Twilight Hack...

And they probably just changed the name to Nintendo Points in preparations for the DSi shop. So not to cause confusion.. Not that you probably use a shared account or anything. Just making it more casual I guess..
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Linkyshinks

They forced me to update, update or not use the Shopping Channel again, so I had
    no choice but to. As a result my Wii is no longer Freeloader friendly :( 

If Tatsunoko does not come out here it will be a serious bitch, it may even prompt me to buy a import Wii.

screwed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By screwed

as I said, they didnt force you. The homebrew crowd created an updated that updates the Wii Shop only, so you can still use the Wii Shop. And not apply any of the other options. (like using homebrew)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.