Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

WiiWare Demos Coming (Hopefully)

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

Update: The first three demos are up for Europe. FF CC: My Life as a Darklord , Bit.Trip.Beat, and NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits.

Original post: From IGN and wherever else:
    "During the Q&A session at a recent earnings briefing, Iwata told investors that Nintendo would begin a test program for WiiWare demos some time this month. The test will cover just a few titles.

According to Iwata, Nintendo is undertaking this test to see if it can get more players shopping on the Wii Shopping Channel."

Then the nay sayers won't have an excuse for not buying some of the great gems on WiiWare (not that it's hard for most "hardcore" gamers to find out if a game's good or not nowadays). I'm quite surprised they'll try this at all. Maybe they will be time limited, kind of like the VC demos included in Brawl only hopefully meatier than that (man I hated how they lasted like a few seconds past the intro screens!). Well, I hope they keep it up.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

They should have done demos in the first place.  I guess it's better late then never.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Willy105

There is one thing I don't understand about the Wii's online.

Friend Codes? Understandable, and work fine.

No voice chat? It's a good thing for most people who are familiar with Xbox Live.

NO DEMOS? That's unacceptable. There are no longer any storage problems with the Wii, why don't you make demos!?!

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Willy105 said:

"There are no longer any storage problems with the Wii, why don't you make demos!?! "

Yes there are, a game can't exceed your free internal memory space which even if it's totally empty is still less than 512MB as it's first copied there from the SD card and then run (but the process is mostly invisible to the end user so it appears nearly seamless as if it runs from the card). That's enough for some games demos potentially, but not for most of the bigger games that need the demos. I'd guess that's why they do WiiWare demos now since those games are small even in their full version since they conform to the small file size limits. Or, I don't know, maybe they can make demos run off an SD card directly similar to DLC if the read speeds are sufficient (and they could always warn that load times aren't as in the full game if not). But their Virtual Console/WiiWare stuff work like that, getting copied to the internal memory first, but perhaps that's for anti-piracy measures, which a demo doesn't need. Well who knows, clearly so far they don't think they need demos to sell games and demos only are offered as that, a marketing tool. It's too bad we don't even get the occasional promotional disc. We'll see.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @JJOR64:  

The lack of adequate storage prevented the possibility. 

Would be nice.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Meowayne

Too little, too late.

Demos of Wiiware and retail titles could potentially have saved the Wii from its bad reputation among gamers, especially those who by default refuse to try anything that is not developed by Nintendo. There are so many, so unbelievably many games that us Wii gamers know or strongly suspect people to like immensely if they only tried them out, or would even know of their existance.

Imagine what the Wii's userbase and reputation would be like if Nintendo would provide the gaming world with non-commital trial versions of games like DeBlob, LostWinds, Little King's Story, Extraction, Excitebots, A Boy And His Blob, and even the likes of Rayman Raving Rabbids or Wii Fit! 

*pulls out hair*

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Meowayne

Storage space is no excuse. I imagine magazines would gladly ship with discs full of retail, wiiware and VC trial versions.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Meowayne said:
    "Imagine what the Wii's userbase and reputation would be like if Nintendo would provide the gaming world with non-commital trial versions of games like DeBlob, LostWinds, Little King's Story, Extraction, Excitebots, A Boy And His Blob, and even the likes of Rayman Raving Rabbids or Wii Fit!"
    It would be very similar to what it is today, I'm sorry. You do know most of that "bad reputation" is from people who don't even have a Wii, yes? As for the minority who does, they'd be just as stubborn even if demos existed. They don't criticise the library because they don't know Little King's Story and such are great games due to the lack of demos, they criticise it because they think it's cool, smart, edgy, whatever.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Meowayne

No, I really think the majority of the "haters" have a Wii sitting at home, "collecting dust" as they are so proud to announce, because they would never go and buy a game that doesn't have guns on the cover. Not because they wouldn't enjoy the games, but because its so easy to dismiss them. They would try demos.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By oldschool

It certainly can't hurt. 

I have downloaded a couple of 360 demos, but to be honest, it doesn't really bother me as I already know what I plan to buy.  It must be a good idea for some people though.  Considering the shovelware around, it could be a mistake to let some people try it first - they will never buy it after that.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Godwind

Perhaps Nintendo will be venturing into Cloud computing before Microsoft and Sony release their next consoles?  It sounds like the most likely case.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Willy105
    @Godwind said:
    " Perhaps Nintendo will be venturing into Cloud computing before Microsoft and Sony release their next consoles?  It sounds like the most likely case. "
    In related news, where is Onlive? They haven't been heard from at all.

Reminds me of the guy that was making 3D technology using the Wiimote for the Wii, but was hired by Microsoft to make Natal.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Godwind
    @Willy105 said:

" @Godwind said:

" Perhaps Nintendo will be venturing into Cloud computing before Microsoft and Sony release their next consoles?  It sounds like the most likely case. "
    In related news, where is Onlive? They haven't been heard from at all.  Reminds me of the guy that was making 3D technology using the Wiimote for the Wii, but was hired by Microsoft to make Natal. "
    According to their site, Winter 2009.  Technically still Fall.

http://www.onlive.com/service/faq.html
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Claude

I like demos. Bring it on.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Godwind
    @Claude said:
    " I like demos. Bring it on. "
    I like perky boobies.  Bring them on.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Claude
    @Godwind said:
    " @Claude said:
    I like perky boobies.  Bring them on. "
    There's going to be a perky boobies demo on WiiWare? Awesome.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Godwind
    @Claude said:
    " @Godwind said:
    " @Claude said:
    I like perky boobies.  Bring them on. "
    There's going to be a perky boobies demo on WiiWare? Awesome. "
    Nope, that would be Sexy Poker, lulz.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Meowayne said:

"  I imagine magazines would gladly ship with discs full of retail, wiiware and VC trial versions. "

Magazines, what magazines?, this isn't the1990's were living in. You simply don't find game demo's on magazine covers any more, for any platform, most CDs these days consist of gameplay footage and interviews. Besides, the magazine market is minuscule, nobody buys them these days, it's not the place to be distributing digital media to a huge global audience. 

I doubt very much Nintendo want WiiWare titles be associated with shovelware also. 
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Godwind
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Meowayne said:
    "  I imagine magazines would gladly ship with discs full of retail, wiiware and VC trial versions. "
     Magazines, what magazines?, this isn't the1990's we are living in. You simply don't find game demo's on magazine covers any more, for any platform, most CDs these days consist of gameplay footage and interviews. Besides, the magazine market is minuscule, nobody buys them these days, it's not the place to be distributing digital media to a huge global audience.   I doubt very much Nintendo want WiiWare titles be associated with shovelware also.  "
    I thought Britain still had a market for Magazines?
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By demontium
    @Al3xand3r: why not retail demos? 

I mean this would be good, but that would be better. 

demos for games that are usually 3 - 5 hours long is questionable. 

either way this is a step towards good.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Meowayne
    @Al3xand3r said:
    The first three demos are up for Europe. FF CC: My Life as a Darklord , Bit.Trip.Beat, and NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits. Anything up in US/AU stores? "
    A good start, good games. Bit.Trip and Nyxquest in particular are fairly acclaimed Wii titles, and Wii owners now have even less reason to brag about how their consoles are collecting dust.
    Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Alex_V

Great to see.

Somebody mentioned OnLive - they just did another round of funding with a company valuation of £500m. New investors include AT&T. I would say they're fairly serious.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Sounds pretty cool. Demos can only be a good thing for everyone, right?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Linkyshinks

Meh, hopefully the next three will be better.  It's good for two of those three games though.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By demontium
    @Al3xand3r: I wasn't asking you, what I meant is why create a thread about much more micro games when you can be talking about the larger issue?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Al3xand3r

You can feel free to ignore any thread that isn't to your standard and create any thread you want yourself. I posted news, not any "issue".

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Linkyshinks
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By JJOR64

Just tried the Nyx demo and I loved it.  I might end up getting the actual game since I still have 4,200 points left.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Godwind

I played pokemon rumble and Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles: My Life as a Dark Lord demos.  I was really surprised how much I enjoyed both games considering that I brushed them both off as shovelware.   

My only complaint is that they force you to go back to the Wii Shop Channel ready to buy the fucking damn game.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Meowayne

Nintendo are reporting a boost in sales of the games in question

SURPRISE SURPRISE.

It's not only been four years, Linky. There have never been widely distributed Demo versions on Nintendo platforms from what I remember. For some reason, Nintendo was always opposed to the idea of "demo version". 

(idiots)
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Willy105

Anyway, I am disappointed they stopped supporting the demo idea. It was great trying them out.

@Linkyshinks said:

" Nintendo are reporting a boost in sales of the games in question, and are ready now to take the "next steps"... Four fucking years, lol. Nintendo will never have an online system as good as Sony's or Microsoft's, and recent comments from Miyamoto give me no confidence as far as games with online components also.  "

It's ironic considering they were the ones that pioneered console online gaming with the SNES.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Godwind
    @Willy105 said:

" Anyway, I am disappointed they stopped supporting the demo idea. It was great trying them out.

@Linkyshinks said:

" Nintendo are reporting a boost in sales of the games in question, and are ready now to take the "next steps"... Four fucking years, lol. Nintendo will never have an online system as good as Sony's or Microsoft's, and recent comments from Miyamoto give me no confidence as far as games with online components also.  "
    It's ironic considering they were the ones that pioneered console online gaming with the SNES. "
    The SNES?  I don't think so bro.  Although it could be said about the 64DD, but that was still a year after the release of the Dreamcast, which launched in Japan in November of the previous year.

Edit: I am was wrong.  The Sega Saturn had online gaming before even the Dreamcast and that was still not the first online gaming system.  The first to have online capabilities was the BBC Micro.  That was released in 1981.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Willy105
    @Godwind said:
    " @Willy105 said:

" Anyway, I am disappointed they stopped supporting the demo idea. It was great trying them out.

@Linkyshinks said:

It's ironic considering they were the ones that pioneered console online gaming with the SNES. "
    The SNES?  I don't think so bro.  Although it could be said about the 64DD, but that was still a year after the release of the Dreamcast, which launched in Japan in November of the previous year.

Edit: I am was wrong.  The Sega Saturn had online gaming before even the Dreamcast and that was still not the first online gaming system.  The first to have online capabilities was the BBC Micro.  That was released in 1981. "
    So the BBC Micro did, cool. But the SNES could go online and download games via satellite. They had a 16-bit remake of the original Zelda, Mario Excitebike, and more.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Godwind
    @Willy105 said:
    " @Godwind said:
    " @Willy105 said:

@Linkyshinks said:

Edit: I am was wrong.  The Sega Saturn had online gaming before even the Dreamcast and that was still not the first online gaming system.  The first to have online capabilities was the BBC Micro.  That was released in 1981. "
    So the BBC Micro did, cool. But the SNES could go online and download games via satellite. They had a 16-bit remake of the original Zelda, Mario Excitebike, and more. "
    Wrong answer.  The Satellaview was not an online connectivity product.  Although there was a modem for the Famicom.  Still the Gameline (Atari2600) and Playcable(Intellivision) were the first to have online play and downloadable games.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Willy105
    @Godwind said:
    Wrong answer.  The Satellaview was not an online connectivity product.  Although there was a modem for the Famicom.  Still the Gameline (Atari2600) and Playcable(Intellivision) were the first to have online play and downloadable games. "
    What makes the Stellaview not count as an online connectivity product?
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By Emilio
    @Godwind said:
    " I played pokemon rumble and Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles: My Life as a Dark Lord demos.  I was really surprised how much I enjoyed both games considering that I brushed them both off as shovelware.    My only complaint is that they force you to go back to the Wii Shop Channel ready to buy the fucking damn game. "
    I played both of those and Nyx Quest. 
    I bought Pokemon Rumble and might pick up FFCC later.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Willy105
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Willy105 said:

" @Godwind said:

Wrong answer.  The Satellaview was not an online connectivity product.  Although there was a modem for the Famicom.  Still the Gameline (Atari2600) and Playcable(Intellivision) were the first to have online play and downloadable games. "
    What makes the Stellaview not count as an online connectivity product? "
     It was a broadcast reception device using a radio channel signal, it didn't use the internet. "
    But it still had the features modern online services have. It just used a different medium.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Godwind
    @Willy105 said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Willy105 said:

" @Godwind said:

What makes the Stellaview not count as an online connectivity product? "
     It was a broadcast reception device using a radio channel signal, it didn't use the internet. "
    But it still had the features modern online services have. It just used a different medium. "

But it isn't online services.  It is completely different from that.
    TinaWood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TinaWood

Is this available in the US yet?

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Willy105
    @TinaWood said:
    " Is this available in the US yet? "
    It was. But it just ended last week.
    TinaWood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TinaWood
    @Willy105 said:
    " @TinaWood said:
    " Is this available in the US yet? "
    It was. But it just ended last week. "

Awww, I wanted to try that Kid Icarus type game :( 

Thanks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.