Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Would you SSBB again if the online improved?

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mushir

So an interesting thought came to my mind today, would you buy SSBB again if they improved the online? But everything else in the came would be the same. The improvements would be:

- Voice Chat with the Wii Speak
    - You could search for players in a lobby
    - Online tournaments
    - No lag
    - Leaderboards
    - No Friend Codes

It would cost 30 bucks. Personally I think I would.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Red

If the game shipped like that and let us play cross-continental random matches I wouldn't of sold my Wii.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By WickedCobra03

Are you talking about rebuying the game?  If so, hell no!  This game was shipped broken and it was a known issue that they for some reason didn't let out on the weekly dojo update?!?! 

Seriously, this game was not even worth $50 dollars that I paid for it.  Melee IMO was worth the $50 dollars with the better graphics, tons more characters, improved and more varied levels, more items, better single player...ect!  Brawl should have came with voice chat standard, the ability to host matches and invite friends from your friends list.  Not dropping players 2 out of every 3 matches...ect.

And tripping?  Why?  That just makes the came even more casual for the haters.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Willy105

There's not much to improve upon on Brawl, it plays great in online, but those new stuff you suggest would be great!

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By BoG

If it simply had the option to play 1v1 I'd be happy.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ArcBorealis

I wouldn't really care much, because nothing beats playing Smash Bros with actual people in the same room. Local Multiplayer is where the game is at, really.

CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CreamyGoodness

if so i might buy a wii again and then that. but the reason i sold my wii in the first place is because, well i was always on my 360 with xbox live, and i just like the 360 alot better

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8  Edited By granderojo
    Red said:
    "If the game shipped like that and let us play cross-continental random matches I wouldn't of sold my Wii."
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

There's no inexcusable lag in Brawl, it's one of the better fighting games in regards to that. It's not as simple as a FPS to get beat em ups to work properly, hence why most either ommit online modes, or aren't as great in them. Local multiplayer is where it's at for such games. Leaderboards would be good, no reason to stop using friend codes though. Would be nice if all games used the Wii's friend code however, instead of have their own.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Jayge_
    Al3xand3r said:
    "no reason to stop using friend codes though.
    There is every reason to stop using those retarded pieces of shit.

No, I wouldn't buy the game again. It goes Melee, Brawl, and then the Original in terms of overall Smash Bros. quality. What should have been an opus was not even as good as the previous title. Oh well.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By crunchUK
    Jayge said:
    "Al3xand3r said:
    "no reason to stop using friend codes though.
    There is every reason to stop using those retarded pieces of shit.

No, I wouldn't buy the game again. It goes Melee, Brawl, and then the Original in terms of overall Smash Bros. quality. What should have been an opus was not even as good as the previous title. Oh well."
    Agreed friend codes are fail

wtf does nintendo have against having a gamertag/psn id thing???

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r

I don't see a large difference between a number and a nickname along the lines of supa1337killa1983 in other networks. Added functionality in games to add to friend lists from within a game's interface during a public match would be good, and the same goes for the ability to have the Wii's friend code as default for all games instead of acquire a unique id per game, as I already said and you ecided to crop, but these are mostly altogether different matters. Friend codes are fine.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13  Edited By granderojo
    Al3xand3r said:
    "I don't see a large difference between a number and a nickname along the lines of supa1337killa1983 in other networks. Added functionality in games to add to friend lists from within a game's interface during a public match would be good, and the same goes for the ability to have the Wii's friend code as default for all games instead of acquire a unique id per game, as I already said and you ecided to crop, but these are mostly altogether different matters. Friend codes are fine."
    let me enter in this 16 digit code everyfucking time I play, nothing wrong with that.

It's no conservative console maker cheapass way of fucking over the consumer to save his own ass from a lawsuit, not that at all.
    Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Phished0ne
    Alaska_Gamer said:
    "I wouldn't really care much, because nothing beats playing Smash Bros with actual people in the same room. Local Multiplayer is where the game is at, really."
    QFT!
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_
    Al3xand3r said:
    "I don't see a large difference between a number and a nickname along the lines of supa1337killa1983 in other networks. Added functionality in games to add to friend lists from within a game's interface during a public match would be good, and the same goes for the ability to have the Wii's friend code as default for all games instead of acquire a unique id per game, as I already said and you ecided to crop, but these are mostly altogether different matters. Friend codes are fine."
    Because typing in full 16-digit numbers (required) every time you want to do something, or remembering exactly who is who without expanded bio-related information on some sort of centralized profile, coupled with the lack of real-time chat availability, makes the Wii less functional online than last-gen consoles. Friend codes are not fine.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r

It seems that the most vocal of the commenters haven't even experienced what they're talking about, as usual in the Wii boards. You certainly don't have to input the numbers every time you want to play.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jayge_
    Al3xand3r said:
    "It seems that the most vocal of the commenters haven't even experienced what they're talking about, as usual in the Wii boards. You certainly don't have to input the numbers every time you want to play."
    Every time you'd like to add a friend, or play a new game with them that you haven't played with them yet. Even the fact that you have to have people as friends to play games directly with them is ridiculous. It seems that the most rabid Wii defender once again doesn't know who he's talking to, or what he's talking about. I thought you had left, by the way?
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By JJOR64

I would in a heart beat, even though I would have to restart my game again.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Snail
    WickedCobra03 said:
    "Are you talking about rebuying the game?  If so, hell no!  This game was shipped broken and it was a known issue that they for some reason didn't let out on the weekly dojo update?!?! 

Seriously, this game was not even worth $50 dollars that I paid for it.  Melee IMO was worth the $50 dollars with the better graphics, tons more characters, improved and more varied levels, more items, better single player...ect!  Brawl should have came with voice chat standard, the ability to host matches and invite friends from your friends list.  Not dropping players 2 out of every 3 matches...ect.

And tripping?  Why?  That just makes the came even more casual for the haters."
    What the fuck?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Al3xand3r

Did I respond to your comments? No, so why do you once again quote me out of context to make another nonexistent point about how much of a fanboy one is or isn't? Everytime you want to play with a "new" friend per game is different to "every time you want to play" period, and that's what I clearly responded to. As for your last comments, it's more the lack of the features you mention that's the problem and not the friend codes. Having usernames instead of codes but still lacking the features you mention would be pretty much the same problematic interface. They could and should add some of these features in future games, but that doesn't have to mean the lack of friend codes, which aren't the real issue.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21  Edited By Black_Rose

For me Brawl is a game meant to be played on a saturday night with your friends and a lot of pizza, so i could care less about the online.

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dark_Link142

I Brawl a lot anyway. The things you suggest are pretty cool, but I'm satisfied enough with it already.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By PureRok

As far as I'm concerned there is no online multiplayer on the Wii.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Willy105
    PureRok said:
    "As far as I'm concerned there is no online multiplayer on the Wii."
    Why?
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Willy105
    PureRok said:
    Why?
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By crunchUK

Because let's face it who wouldn't prefer the comfort of xbl or psn

Shinryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Shinryu
    PureRok said:
    I have to second this
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Snail
    Willy105 said:
    "PureRok said:
    Why?"
    You and your double posting.
    teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By teptom

Leaderboards?  Everybody knows that gamers don't like that type of thing.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Snail
    Shini4444 said:
    "Leaderboards?  Everybody knows that gamers don't like that type of thing."
    Maybe you don't. It is always fun to see how far a lifeless fanboy can go, amirite?
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Twilight said:
    "So an interesting thought came to my mind today, would you buy SSBB again if they improved the online? But everything else in the came would be the same. The improvements would be:
    - Online tournaments
    - No lag
    - Leaderboards
    - No Friend Codes

"

What you're asking for isn't possible. Nintendo can't use Xbox Live, silly!
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Yeah. Probably.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    Willy105 said:
    "There's not much to improve upon on Brawl, it plays great in online, but those new stuff you suggest would be great!

"
    *gags*

This is one of the main reasons the Wii sucks. If it had been a PS3, 360, or PC game, it would have been patched long ago. It might have even gotten new content, too! But no, it's a Wii game.
    clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By clarke0
    PureRok said:
    Same here. Haven't played online since the week Brawl came out.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By pause422
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Twilight said:
    "So an interesting thought came to my mind today, would you buy SSBB again if they improved the online? But everything else in the came would be the same. The improvements would be:
    - Online tournaments
    - No lag
    - Leaderboards
    - No Friend Codes

"

What you're asking for isn't possible. Nintendo can't use Xbox Live, silly!"
    XBL definitely doesn't have "no lag". Anyway though, yeah, Wii doesn't have multiplayer at all in my eyes...its attempt is just poor and terrible. The PS2 had better online than the Wii does. If you like SSBB, honestly, the best think is playing it with 3 other friends on your couch, they honestly shouldn't of even put online in it, its just another thing to put on the back of the box to make it sound like its an up to date game. And yes, having to insert a long numeric code is indeed far worse than just a tag that everyone knows. The fact that on top of that, different games have their own codes that you have to use, instead of just one of the terrible things, makes it twice as bad.

I'm not hating on the system as awhole, so don't anyone respond with your fanboyish bullshit, but be honest with yourself, its online features and capabilities are horrendous, so don't try to spin it any other way.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Al3xand3r

If people don't get to enjoy the likes of Mario Kart Wii online just because it makes them feel better to claim the Wii has "no online" then it sure isn't my loss. As for laggy games, blame the developers, not the system. The Wii just happens to use a lighter approach, only offering internet access and leaving it up to the developers to offer the features they want.

There's no good reason for online gaming to fail working properly, other than the developers themselves.

PC games don't have a centralised system either, yet you see many companies doing wonders with online gaming. Most people still consider PC online gaming superior, even if we take MMO titles out of the equation. Before Steam came along many games already offered features like buddy lists, auto updating and matchmaking built directly into them, and many still do it outside Steam. Why can't developers do it for the Wii, given all their past experience on such platforms? No effort gets no results.

Besides, they have to create many things from scratch for their PS3 and 360 online games also, netcode and server support isn't provided by Microsoft or Sony as each game needs its own system, you can't retrofit it in other games. All those two companies offer is the centralised features outside the actual gameplay. That's why, as many have said, there are laggy games on the 360 also, a given platform doesn't magically make things work without development effort.

Back to the Wii, Mario Kart Wii and Medal of Honor Heroes 2 both have great online gameplay. Sure, the former is a first-party title, but Heroes 2 is a lazy PSP port, so there's really no excuse for other developers to do worse than that game. None at all.

Battalion Wars 2 worked really well also, and that's a launch title. Sure, you can't have many players, but it still has to sync all the AI troops so it's a well made game. I hear COD: WAW has decent online play too (looks pretty smooth on YouTube videos too) but that's crippled more with the baffling lack of  modes and features found on the other versions, than the lack of smooth gameplay.

Beat em ups are especially tough to work well due to the nature of their gameplay, prediction methods as seen in FPS or racing games wouldn't function. I don't know if some newer CAPCOM or other company's titles have managed to work magic, but I'd honestly be surprised if you could show me one beat em up that works smoothly online. I think Nintendo did ok with SSBB's 4 players.

We just need a few more companies to start offering some good online experiences for the rest to realise they can make more money when we don't feel we settle for less. Just like there has been an increase in quality core Wii titles thanks to a few big studios that first made the jump. Hopefully ,The Conduit can be a step to that direction, but we'll have to wait and see.

i wish Valve did some Wii development, they have great netcode. A  -- slightly, some shaders, maybe ragdolls and such -- scaled down Counter-Strike: Source for $20-$25 would certainly be achievable on the Wii. A pure gameplay showcase to become the precursor to bigger things. It seems financially sound too, as they could also sell that engine. The Unreal Engine 3 inherits many of its good traits to all the titles that use it, and it's often the engine of choice for 360/PS3 projects. Source Engine based titles on Wii could share similar qualities and be a good choice for many studios, but Valve is already too busy with numerous projects, they're not a gigantic company.

Nets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Nets

I would only play SSBB again if it had the same speed as Melee, which is includes wavedashing. Brawl is the slowest Smash thus far and I fail to be wow'd by any combos in Brawl anymore.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Karmum

Probably, I haven't even touched the game in a long time.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By pause422

It is the Wii's problem, don't try to make it sound like it isn't. Also, don't even, ever, try to make it sound like playing online on PC is barely a step up above the Wii. It just shows nothing but huge ignorance.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Al3xand3r

I never said it's barely a step up, I said PCs offer the best online experience, and went on to praise the incredible work certain companies have done on it. Try reading properly. I also said that the Wii can (not that it has so far) also offer a great online experience, simply because it's true. It's up to the game developers, try dealing with that simple fact better.

The Wii has all online play requires, because it really doesn't require much. An internet connection is pretty much it and the Wii offers one just fine, it's not like you can fault it for having a dial up modem like the Dreamcast did.

The only related thing the Wii does lack is a hard drive, but that only means games would require a little extra testing time to make sure they aren't shipped with the amount of bugs Gears of War 2 had for example. I bet most people prefer less patches and better games out of the box anyway, even on systems which do have hard drives. I know I prefer that on my PC at least, after all, if I pay for a game, I want it to play well now, and not by next year.

Other than that, it's up to the game developer to make visuals the system's specs can handle with many characters on-screen for the multi player modes. But hell, I haven't seen a laggy online Wii game lag because of that anyway, most games only have connection lag thanks to crappy netcode, not merely visual lag, which would actually be more bearable and not interfere as much. After all, most run fine in single player with similar (or identical in the case of SSBB) levels of visual load as on multi player. Multi player often has less processing load since AI calculations are excluded.

Anyway, why don't you enlighten us as to the Wii's magical inherent inability to have online games that play well? I hope you'll claim something along the lines of its weaker specs or the lack of a hard drive, so that I can laugh my ass off. But hey, maybe you're onto something so, I look forward to a response, even though I doubt I'll get anything concrete, judging by your comment above.

Stanford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Stanford

Nope.  the only way i would go back is if they released another game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.