Your top Wii games?

#1 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

For reasons I will not go into now, I need a list of the highest quality games currently available in the US for the Nintendo Wii Entertainment System. Metacritic has been sorta useless, GB doesn't review many Wii games, and personally I can't think of more than 3 from the top of my mind (Zelda, Brawl and.. um... Mario?).

Now when I say top quality I mean your 9's and 10's and not your 8's and high 7's. You know, the cream of the crop, not the "Oh hey this game is kinda cool but has some problems" sort of stuff.

Also please refrain from listing any "enhanced" ports like Twilight Princess, Okami, RE4 and so forth. Original software only!

Thanks for helping me out.

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (14563 posts) -

No More Heroes 1&2 is the only reason I bought a wii.

#3 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3482 posts) -
#4 Posted by SkyTown_Drifts (47 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Metroid Prime 3 and Other M (only if you can get it cheap). I enjoyed it more because I was expecting it to be bad but it's much better than it was perceived.

#5 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

For reasons I will not go into now, I need a list of the highest quality games currently available in the US for the Nintendo Wii Entertainment System. Metacritic has been sorta useless, GB doesn't review many Wii games, and personally I can't think of more than 3 from the top of my mind (Zelda, Brawl and.. um... Mario?).

http://www.unikgamer.com/tops/top-wii-games-33.html

#6 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Beyond the Nintendo franchise titles: Shattered Memories, Dead Space: Extraction, Little King's Story, TvC, Muramasa, Sin&Punishment 2, the No More Heroes and Red Steel 2 and obviously Xenoblade are a good place to start.

#7 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10483 posts) -

Super Paper Mario was pretty good. Beyond that, I think everything I own has been mentioned.

MadWorld is fun for a little while, but only if you can get it for relatively cheap. I paid $50 for it, and that game doesn't have enough content to justify $50 (that was several years ago).

I didn't personally play it, but Donkey Kong Country Returns is supposed to be very good.

#8 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Monster Hunter Tri.
Donkey Kong Country Returns.
Tales of Symphonia 2: Dawn of the new world.
Metroid Prime collection.
Zelda Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword.

Had a lot of fun with those in any case, felt like my Wii was worth those at least.

#9 Posted by sungahymn (986 posts) -

I asked the same exact thing a few days ago.

Uh...

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Kirby's Epic Yarn

#10 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I was going to say Super Smash Bros, but you already have that. Then I was going to say ResE4, but you don't want that. YOU'RE TRYING TO KILL ME!

Boom Blox probably belongs on that list. I'm sure that one of the Rabbids games does as well, but I'm not sure which one.

#11 Posted by NapTimeSleeper (329 posts) -

I really enjoyed Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2.

#12 Edited by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - the BEST game on any console.

Monster Hunter Tri (made me a MH fan)

House of The Dead: Overkill (even if it got a PS3 port - it was a blast)

Little King's Story (really hard and fun game)

Murumasa: Demon Blade

Rune Factory: Frontier

There are plenty of others that ate my time amongst my 130is Wii games, but these were the standouts along with the regular Nintendo franchises.

#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (36026 posts) -

@Contrarian said:

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - the BEST game on any console.

A.) No.

B.) Path of Radiance isn't even a Wii game. It got a Wii sequel (a Wiiquel, if you're an asshole), and it can be played on the Wii, but it's not a Wii game.

C.) Although it's not my top Wii game ever, it is the game that I wish more people would notice: Fragile Dreams.

#15 Edited by believer258 (11642 posts) -

Where's Claude?

Metroid Prime 3

Super Mario Galaxy 1/2

Donkey Kong Country Returns

#16 Posted by Hector (3356 posts) -
  • Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns.
#17 Edited by yoshisaur (2648 posts) -

I just picked up Phantom Brave: We meet again, after purchasing my new Wii. I would have to give it a 9 (I'm not that deep in the genre) simply because it's a JRPG that I can handle. It has good voicework, fun visuals and atmosphere, and I like the combat system.

It was also $16.

I'd give that one a try if you really would like a great turn-based, gridless tactical JRPG with a lot of character.

EDIT: I just realized I only recommended one game. Fortune Street & Xenoblade: Chronicles come to mind as great games to play. And How could you not pounce on Super Mario RPG in Virtual Console!!

#18 Posted by JeanM (61 posts) -

I can't believe no one has said New Super Mario Bros!! What's wrong with you people?! =O

#19 Posted by Teptom (2047 posts) -

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure is probably my favorite Wii game.

#20 Edited by MEATBALL (3071 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy 2

The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Metroid Prime Trilogy (It includes an original game, I'm bending your rules, damnit!)

Xenoblade Chronicles

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Mario Kart Wii (don't hurt me, I loved the game and I would definitely consider it a "9")

From what I've played The Last Story will probably also make this list. (I also just realised you asked for games released in the US)

#21 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

I was going to say Super Smash Bros, but you already have that. Then I was going to say ResE4, but you don't want that. YOU'RE TRYING TO KILL ME!

Boom Blox probably belongs on that list. I'm sure that one of the Rabbids games does as well, but I'm not sure which one.

Hey, at least you're following directions!

#22 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Contrarian said:

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - the BEST game on any console.

A.) No.

B.) Path of Radiance isn't even a Wii game. It got a Wii sequel (a Wiiquel, if you're an asshole), and it can be played on the Wii, but it's not a Wii game.

C.) Although it's not my top Wii game ever, it is the game that I wish more people would notice: Fragile Dreams.

Well, I am an asshole and as usual, you are correct and I am wrong ......... on the first point. I meant to say Radiant Dawn. Path of Radiance is the Gamecube one. It is still the best game I have ever played, well, equal first with Path of Radiance. Keep in mind that I am an out of the closet, pride marching unabashed fanboy of Fire Emblem ....... say it loud, say it proud!

I also agree on point three. Fragile Dreams is a really good game and I need to finish it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.