Dead Space 3 is a third-person horror game developed by Visceral Games. It's the third game in the main Dead Space franchise; it introduces cover mechanics as well as campaign co-op. According to the developers, Dead Space 3 will not be the final Dead Space game.
The game is set to be released in North America on February 5, Australia on February 7, and Europe on February 8; it will be available for PC through both retail and Origin, Playstation 3, and Xbox 360.
StoryEllie and Isaac return.
Dead Space 3 will take place 2 months after the events of Dead Space 2; it primarily takes place on a frozen planet called Tau Volantis, where ruins of a planetcracker have been found. Following the discovery of yet another marker, Isaac Clarke and Ellie Langford crash land on the planet and are subsequently separated. Isaac meets up with EarthGov Sergeant John Carver, a survivor of a Necromorph attack on planet Uxor. Together they must find a way to stop the Unitologists and destroy the marker.
Dead Space 3 is the first Dead Space game to introduce humans as enemies - Unitologist Soldiers. New and old Necromorphs, and environmental hazards also present on the planet.
GameplayIsaac combating a Necromorph.
Dead Space 3 retains similar gameplay to its predecessors, while also adding new mechanics, such as the ability to roll and a cover mechanic. Isaac moves around the environment in a third person view and players are required to use different weapons to eliminate different types of enemies. Strategic dismemberment is still a core part of the game and the sequel gives players the power of stasis, which temporarily slows down enemies. The game introduces a new type of enemy, the Fodder, which depending on how it's dismembered, can turn into two different types of Necromorph.
Like in previous games, weapons have two different modes of fire. Dead Space 3 marks the return of classics like the plasma cutter while introducing new automatic weapons. The game will have universal ammo; ammo drops are said to be more plentiful on the normal difficulty than in previous games.
Also returning from the previous games, the upgrade system but has been redesigned and called the weapon bench. You can upgrade and create new weapons form parts and items you collect along the way. There are two main frames, a light one handed frame and a heavy two hand frame. You can also create unique weapons by combining two weapons, the variations are almost endless. If creating your own weapons isn't your thing you can also buy blueprints for weapons. You can share your built weapons in co-op and impress your friends.
After players complete the campaign once, they will unlock 4 additional game modes:
- New Game Plus - Replay the game carrying over all weapons and upgrades from the first playthrough. During this playthrough MK-II Overclocked Parts and +3 circuits are found throughout the game. This mode can be played at any difficulty.
- Classic Mode - A single player only playthrough designed to feel like the original game. It uses the "classic" aiming from the first game, while eliminating the crafting mechanic. Players must instead only create weapons that where available from the previous games via blueprints. These weapons cannot be modified. Co-op is also disabled. This mode can only be played on the Hard difficulty. Unlocks Devil Horns.
- Pure Survival Mode - Puts a greater emphasis on resource management. In this game mode, enemies will NOT drop resources; there’s no ammo, health, or weapon parts to collect. Players will have to choose what to craft at each bench. This mode can only be played on the Hard difficulty. Unlocks Mega Resources Deposit and MK-II Overclock Parts Set.
- Hardcore Mode - A permadeath mode, where players only get one life for the entire campaign. You will be able to stop playing and your inventory and story will be saved as many times as you want unlike Dead Space 2. If you die however there will be no checkpoints or saves and you will be reset to the very beginning. Unlocks Retro Mode.
The game features two player campaign co-op. Co-op can activated at the main menu or during gameplay at a checkpoint or after the player dies. You can find a parnter randomly with Quick Match or invite a friend. Playing co-op triggers new cut scenes, gameplay mechanics, as well as new dialogue. The co-op doesn't feature friendly fire. Co-op mode is however disabled in Classic mode, in the spirit of the previous games.
First details of Dead Space 3 leaked on September 26, 2011 when Siliconera revealed the game's setting as well as minor details about the plot and gameplay. Minor details about the game leaked over the coming months before being officially revealed in May 2012 and shown at E3 2012.
Developers Visceral Games has decided to take a more action oriented approach to Dead Space. When CVG asked Frank Gibeau why they had chosen to do this, Gibeau replied that with Dead Space 3, EA was aiming for the biggest possible market:
What we’ve tried to do with each instalment is tell a different story about Isaac but at the same time bring in new features and ways to turn the game into a more connected experience … so we embraced [the co-op] idea and we tried to open up the accessibility of the IP a little bit by adding a little bit more action, but not undermining the horror.
We can’t not be a horror game because that’s what Dead Space is … and at the same time we definitely do not want to piss off our fans by taking it too far from horror.
There any many suits in Dead Space 3 but unlike the previous Dead Space the suits are mostly cosmetic and do not feature any buffs. There are three different kinds of suits, Standard, Arctic, and Carver suits (can only be worn by Carver). Arctic suits allow you survive the harsh cold temperatures.
- EVA Suit: A space suit that lightweight and engineered to protect the wear from prolonged radiation exposure from space. This suit is worn typically by salvage operators in the private-sector. Unlocked in Chapter 3.
- Arctic Survival Suit: A suit that is woven with classified S.C.A.F. synthetic fibers. Those fibers insulate the body of the wear from extreme cold and hypothermic conditions. Unlocked in Chapter 9.
- Archaeologist Suit: Woven with puncture-resistant micro-fibers for increased physical protection. This suit also has body heat retention. This suit can be worn in the Arctic. Unlocked in Chapter 11.
- Legionary Suit: Military armor that was decomissioned. decommissioned This armor was worn by S.C.A.F. forces and is very bulky and has a high value among collectors and historians. Unlocked in Chapter 14.
- Elite Suit: Used by the 401st Division of the S.C.A.F. this suit was built for frontline assaults. Designed with advanced survival and biophysical support technologies. Unlocked in Chapter 16.
- Engineering Suit: A vintage CEC uniform worn by mining and engineering personal on the USG Ishimura. This suit was one of the first to feature an integrated RIG bio-sign motioning system. Unlocked by beating the game.
- Security Suit: This suit is unlocked by beating the game and can only be worn by Carver.
- Deep Dig Suit: A durable and extremely heavy deep space suit. This suit was designed for use by industrial asteroid trackers and long-haul salvage missions. Unlocked by collecting all weapon parts.
- Flight Suit: Designed for S.C.A.F. pilots, this suit continually monitors the wearer for signs of stress and fatigue. This suit can also inject stimulants into the bloodstream to counteract these effects. Unlocked by collecting all artifacts.
- Hostile Environment Suit: Issued by S.C.A.F. research scientists on Tau Volantis. This suit is designed to withstand the ionizing radiation emitting from the planets mantle. Unlocked by completing all optional missions.
- First Contact Suit: A variation on the EVA suit built by S.C.A.F. for encounters with foreign entities. It has a gold finish to provide protection from long term space radiation. Unlocked from the Limited Edition.
- Witness Suit: An insulated suit that will protect you in arctic weather. It is covered with strange graffiti and worn by S.C.A.F. deep dig teams that exhume the darkest secrets of Tau Volantis. Unlocked from the Limited Edition.
- N7 Suit: A suit inspired by the hero "Shepard" from popular twenty-first century Earth fiction. The suit is distributed by Cosplay Intergalactic, INC. Unlocked by having a Mass Effect game save.
- Tundra Recon Suit: Woven with nanotech fibers that are coated in a paraffin-based analgesic compound. This compound maintains body heat under any condition. Unlocked by purchasing the Tundra Recon Pack DLC or Tau Volantis Survival Kit DLC.
- Marauder Suit: S.C.A.F. Marauders were issued this suit during the Separatist Wars. It was used by ship-boarding parties to breach Separatist defenses and destabilize their supply chains. Unlocked by purchasing the Marauder Pack DLC or Tau Volantis Survival Kit DLC.
- Sharpshooter Suit: Designed for S.C.A.F. 's UN14 Special Operations Division. The suit features high impact armor to give the wearer maximum protection and the "No Retreat" motto of the UN14 troops. Unlocked by purchasing the Marauder Pack DLC or Tau Volantis Survival Kit DLC.
EditionsDead Space 3 Limited Edition.
Pre-Ordering Dead Space 3 upgrades the game to the Limited Edition version of the game, which includes:
- The Witness Suit - An insulated suit to help you explore Tau Volantis' harsh terrain
- The First Contact Suit - Built for long-term space exposure with thick armor
- Evangelizer Weapon - Heavy duty assault rifle and shotgun combination
- Negotiator Weapon - Tesla-powered "instrument" for organic tissue dismemberment
Players receive a EG-900 SMG - a compact Earthgov sub machine-gun sporting an internal hyper-accelerator - when pre-ordering from GameStop.
Players receive a Tesla Enervator - a focused energy tool used for eliminating dangerous specimens by delivering a precision blast causing instantaneous electrocution and molecular destabilization in the target - when pre-ordering from Amazon.
The original game comes free when pre-ordering from Origin.com.Dev-Team Edition
Dead Space 3 DEV-Team Edition:
The Dev-Team edition is truly a limited edition with only 5,000 made. There are two versions. The $160 version came with the game or one for $100 without the game (Dev-Team Edition Ad-On). Each tin crate has a metal plate with the edition's number stamped on it i.e. 215/5000
It comes with any copy of Dead Space 3 (Xbox 360, PS3, or PC disc only)
- 13" SCAF Tin Crate
- 8" Polyresin Black Marker Statue
- Aluminum Data Pad
- Med Pack Water Bottle
- Bound SCAF Jotter
- 3 SCAF Posters
- 6 PENG Postcards
- 96 Page Mini Art Book
- DLC: First Contact Bundle
- DLC: Witness the Truth Bundle.
On January 22, 2013 a playable demo of Dead Space 3 will be released for Xbox 360 via Xbox Live and for PlayStation 3 via the PlayStation Network. Xbox 360 players who sign up on the official Dead Space website with an Origin account will have access one week early.
PC System Requirements
- OS: Windows XP (SP3), Vista (SP1) or Windows 7
- CPU: 2.8 GHz processor or equivalent
- RAM: 1 GB RAM (XP), 2 GB RAM (Vista or Windows 7)
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or better (7300, 7600 GS, and 8500 are below minimum system requirements); ATI X1600 Pro or better (X1300, X1300 Pro and HD2400 are below minimum system requirements); 256MB Video Card and Shader Model 3.0 required
- DirectX: The latest version of DirectX 9.0c
- HDD: At least 10GB of hard drive space for installation, plus additional space for saved games.
- Other: Internet connection.