- Empire space: Area of starmap belonging to one of four main factions: Amarr, Caldari, Gallente, Minmatar.
- Highsec: 0.5 to 1.0 security sectors. Relatively safe Empire space with NPC police intervention from PVP. Most larger warships not allowed.
- Lowsec: 0.1 to 0.4 security sectors. Relatively unsafe Empire space with no protection from random attack. Largest warships not allowed.
- Nullsec: 0.0 and minus security sectors. Player sovereignty. Here be dragons.
- Deadspace: Mission "pockets" in a solar system that spawn and despawn.
- W-space: Wormhole space that exists independently of the starmap.
- Gate: Stargate bridging travel between two solar systems
- Station: Common NPC owned structure for players to dock and manage resources.
- POS: Player Owned Structure, commonly a starbase of various configurations.
- Corporation: Guilds that are player owned, or NPC owned.
- Alliance: Several partnered corporations which can claim sovereignty in non-Empire space.
- Fleet: Team of players grouped together into wings, for coordination and/or communicating.
- Roaming: Travelling as a fleet with no specific target.
- Capsuleers: EVE players.
- Infantry: DUST 514 players.
- CONCORD: NPC police.
- Rats: NPC pirates.
- Sleepers: NPC wormhole dwellers..