Can I just give him money straight?

#1 Posted by Yit (761 posts) -

I've been playing Spore, obtained through "means", and I don't wanna support EA at ALL. I do, however, wanna support Will Wright for being such a damn genius. Anyone know his paypal account? I just wanna give him 60 bucks. Then I know it goes straight to him, and not supporting the shitty DRM.

Thoughts?

#2 Posted by KindGalaxy (429 posts) -
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/09/07/will-wright-reacts-to-crtical-spore-reviews/#more-8789

“I’d say that’s quite accurate,” Wright told me. “We were very focused, if anything, on making a game for more casual players. “Spore” has more depth than, let’s say, “The Sims” did. But we looked at the Metacritic scores for “Sims 2″, which was around 90, and something like “Half-Life“, which was 97, and we decided — quite a while back — that we would rather have the Metacritic and sales of “Sims 2″ than the Metacritic and sales of “Half-Life.”

The dude has made money, he don't care for your $60 via paypal. He's made millions already on Spore, more in the first week than compared to The Sims or The Sims 2, he doesn't care about your dislike for DRM, your mild protest, or whatever.
#3 Posted by Yit (761 posts) -

Eh, I still feel like I should contribute something to the man. He's awesome.

#4 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

People like you annoy me. Just buy the game...

#5 Edited by BoG (5191 posts) -

Why don't you want to support EA? The company who is making it possible to play Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Rage, Left 4 Dead, and others? How about the recent statement that they will no longer make crappy licensed games? In that same story, it is also stated that they want to support original content.

Personally, it is things like these that make me, as a consumer who loves good, original gaming, want to buy things from EA. If they don't make money off of these eandeavors, they'll go back to producing crap. If we show them we like how they're running business, giving funding to great, original developers, they'll keep it u and improve the gaming industry.
#6 Posted by Yit (761 posts) -
BoG said:
"Why don't you want to support EA? The company who is making it possible to play Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Rage, Left 4 Dead, and others? How about the recent statement that they will no longer make crappy licensed games? In that same story, it is also stated that they want to support original content.
Personally, it is things like these that make me, as a consumer who loves good, original gaming, want to buy things from EA. If they don't make money off of these eandeavors, they'll go back to producing crap. If we show them we like how they're running business, giving funding to great, original developers, they'll keep it u and improve the gaming industry.
"
Touche sir. True.
#7 Edited by hockyfann09 (1 posts) -

WILL WRIGHT CAN SUCK MY DICK!
The only reason in the world I bought this stupid ass spore game was cause my little sister thought it would be the best game in the world based on the commercial.  I even thought it would be kidna cool.  I took my happy ass down the best buy with my little nine year-old sister and spent my $50 happily.  I bring it to my Windows Vista laptop on to have my sister very, very disappointed because your shitty ass game that pretty much only is on PC (Fuckin' stupid) does not work on vista!  The only fuckin' computer in the god damn house!  I have all the fuckin' requirements! Uninstalled and reinstalled a million fuckin' times! I have read so many threades with the same exact fuckin' problem!  Fuck you Will Wright, fuck you!

Oh and Go suck his dick Yit...You look up to it  :0

#8 Posted by banned8921 (1246 posts) -

I think this is a smart thing to do if you dont support drm but cant sleep at night when you pirate a game.

#9 Posted by Parabola (17 posts) -

EA realized it's mistakes and is slowly back on the path of..not being the most hated company in gaming.

#10 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -
Parabola said:
"EA realized it's mistakes and is slowly back on the path of..not being the most hated company in gaming."
DRM and pirating would beg to differ.
#11 Posted by Maru (286 posts) -

donate that money for better cause, that guy already has more then enough money.

#12 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -
BoG said:
"Why don't you want to support EA? The company who is making it possible to play Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Rage, Left 4 Dead, and others? How about the recent statement that they will no longer make crappy licensed games? In that same story, it is also stated that they want to support original content.
"

I take issue with that. Valve doesn't need EA. I hope they keep their fucking paws off of that company.
#13 Edited by PureRok (4236 posts) -
BoG said:
"
Wait... since when does EA have anything to do with Left 4 Dead? *checks Steam* I don't see their name anywhere on there.
#14 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -
KindGalaxy said:

we decided — quite a while back — that we would rather have the Metacritic and sales of “Sims 2″ than the Metacritic and sales of “Half-Life.”

Guy makes me angry.
#15 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -
PureRok said:
"BoG said:
"
Wait... since when does EA have anything to do with Left 4 Dead? *checks Steam* I don't see their name anywhere on there."
They published the 360 version I think...
#16 Posted by PureRok (4236 posts) -
Lies said:
"PureRok said:
"BoG said:
"
Wait... since when does EA have anything to do with Left 4 Dead? *checks Steam* I don't see their name anywhere on there."
They published the 360 version I think..."
Oh, the console version. Yea, Valve doesn't really need EA.
#17 Posted by KamasamaK (2409 posts) -
Lies said:
"PureRok said:
"BoG said:
"
They published the 360 version I think..."
They're distributing the disc versions for both platforms, but I'm not sure they funded the development as publishers generally do.
#18 Edited by Bellum (2944 posts) -

I don't think so. Their just retail distributors. I suppose Valve decided, with the money they're getting from Steam, giving a portion of their retail profits to EA was better than investing the money into distribution themselves.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.