Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 20, 2014

Outnumbered and outgunned by high-tech Nazi forces, B.J. Blazkowicz returns to fight for an underground resistance movement in an alternate-historical 1960 where the Nazis won World War II and achieved global dominance.

Is Hitler in this game? (Spoilers)

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By expensiveham

I don't want to know details. Just a yes or a no.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

No.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Blommer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't make an appearance, but he's referred to being alive in 1946 still at least.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do they constantly make this mistake with each Wolfenstein ? It seems so obvious people want to shoot hitler

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vuud

I want to fuckin' shoot Hitler in the face.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By expensiveham

@darkstalker said:

Why do they constantly make this mistake with each Wolfenstein ? It seems so obvious people want to shoot hitler

I have no idea, seems obvious that it is what people want. I especially want to shoot him if he is some stupid resurrected zombiecyborg Hitler that is back to life for the third time. Sucks that he is not in this game. If i ever make a game i am going to put Hitler in it regardless of the setting.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess they are afraid of the controversy I guess,

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thats a shame.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkstalker said:

I have no idea, seems obvious that it is what people want. I especially want to shoot him if he is some stupid resurrected zombiecyborg Hitler that is back to life for the third time. Sucks that he is not in this game. If i ever make a game i am going to put Hitler in it regardless of the setting.

From what I understand, this is supposed to be a sequel to Wolfenstein 2009, which was a sequel to Return to Castle Wolfenstein, which was a sequel to Wolfenstein 3-D, where you killed Hitler. Apparently the Nazis have marched on without Hitler.

Final boss spoilers: You do, however, fight a mech with four machine guns and rocket launchers piloted by the Big Bad at the end of the game.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vuud

@believer258: Yeah but they can bring Hitler back any way they want; resurrect a zombie Hitler with crazy magic, clone Hitler via a Boys from Brazil situation, or just straight up retcon.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vuud said:

@believer258: Yeah but they can bring Hitler back any way they want; resurrect a zombie Hitler with crazy magic, clone Hitler via a Boys from Brazil situation, or just straight up retcon.

Machine Games seemed to be keen on dropping any notions of magic, zombies, resurrection, etc., so that sort of thing would have been completely out of place here. It also would have been completely out of place with the (already slightly inconsistent) tone they were going for.

Meanwhile, Wolfenstein 3D still exists, in all its 2.5D 1992 shooter glory.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, though I heard that Sniper Elite 3 is going to have a mission to snipe Hitler. So if you want your Hitler killing needs sated in 2014 either go back to the classics or maybe wait for that?

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

@village_guy: Siper Elite 2 had special Kill Hitler DLC

maybe they will do the same for Wolfenstein

tescovee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

No, because the game treats Wolfenstein 3-D's events as canon. There is no more Hitler to kill because BJ already killed him.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Actually, this question is what I ask myself whenever purchasing a new game.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@hailinel said:

@darkstalker said:

No, because the game treats Wolfenstein 3-D's events as canon. There is no more Hitler to kill because BJ already killed him.

Then why not have clone hitler ala Boys from Brazil? He can die multiple times, still satisfying.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@expensiveham said:

@darkstalker said:

From what I understand, this is supposed to be a sequel to Wolfenstein 2009, which was a sequel to Return to Castle Wolfenstein, which was a sequel to Wolfenstein 3-D, where you killed Hitler. Apparently the Nazis have marched on without Hitler.

Final boss spoilers: You do, however, fight a mech with four machine guns and rocket launchers piloted by the Big Bad at the end of the game.

I don't know who the vilain is but I bet the game would be better with zombie hitler at the helm of the giant robot.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SeanFoster

I want to teamup with Hitler to fight an even worse Nazi but after you defeat the Uber-Nazi you get to kill Hitler too

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Booo at lack of Hitler.

MACHINEHEAD, LISTEN TO MY CRY FOR HITLER'S BLOOD AND ADD THAT MOTHERFUCKER IN DLC

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

How is the story not about Hitler making an army of clone Hitlers? Then every enemy soldier could be Hitler.

Twist ending:

You are a renegade clone Hitler.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@believer258 said:

@expensiveham said:

@darkstalker said:

Game developers need to realize that they are making games, not books, not films, not even comics. Most people do not care about the story continuity (unless you are making something like Mass Effect) and would be happier with fresh reboot. Same goes with the characters - if it is not Mario, do you need to have same main character in your game? Good deal what made Wolfenstein 3d special has to do with mecha-Hitler and dropping that of because your precious continuity is just pretentious.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By glots

If all previous Wolfenstein games were indeed canon to this, you would think that there's a mention of Hitler having a mecha suit at some point in the three games that came after it. Heinrich Himmler also returns to report about their operations to Hitler in RTCW and there's a mention of Hitler assumedly being alive in The New Order and, and...I don't think I actually care. Deathshead fills the position of a sadistic Nazi (scientist) leader more than well.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Justin258

@charlie_victor_bravo said:

@believer258 said:

@expensiveham said:

@darkstalker said:

Game developers need to realize that they are making games, not books, not films, not even comics. Most people do not care about the story continuity (unless you are making something like Mass Effect) and would be happier with fresh reboot. Same goes with the characters - if it is not Mario, do you need to have same main character in your game? Good deal what made Wolfenstein 3d special has to do with mecha-Hitler and dropping that of because your precious continuity is just pretentious.

I don't see why games can't be a storytelling medium as valuable as books, films, and comics. And I'm one of the guys who thinks that video game storytelling still has a long way to go and that gameplay ultimately is more important. However, look at Rage - that game has a rock-solid base to it gameplay wise, it just never does anything interesting with the world it has set up. Context can really serve to make gameplay more memorable.

Reboot or not, mecha-Hitler wouldn't have worked with this story. There's a public expectation of what Hitler is and looks like - he is at this point a caricature. There's little you can do with him except make fun of him or use him in a dramatic sense. There's no Hitler boss fight not because Machine Games was concerned with continuity, but because it just wouldn't have worked well with the plot. It would have felt shoehorned in because "silly Nazi shooter needs Hitler!"

Wolfenstein 3D was special because it invented and codified many of the tropes that made up first person shooters as we know them, not because it had a silly joke boss fight with Hitler in a mech. Deathshead fills the "sadistic insane evil guy" role better and in a more interesting way than Hitler ever could have anyway. Too bad you can't make a joke about a well-written bad guy with your friends because he's not instantly recognizable, right? Right?

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Max_Cherry

No, but Jimi Hendrix is.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Justin258

@max_cherry: I know that's going to become a thing that everybody knows, but I was hoping that it would be just a little while longer...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Booo at lack of Hitler.

MACHINEHEAD, LISTEN TO MY CRY FOR HITLER'S BLOOD AND ADD THAT MOTHERFUCKER IN DLC

Also hear my cries and patch the game, thanks.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@expensiveham said:

@darkstalker said:

It's not a sequel, they already revealed that, they just took characters from the last game and put them in here, which yes, is kind of weird.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it only hints that he's still alive. This won't get too spoilery, but there's one moment, which you could even see in one of the trailers, where a Nazi soldier says Heil Hitler, as well as in the base you have to go to from time to time, has a board on the wall, with a list of people they're looking at in which they want to take down, and Hitler is near the bottom, as if he's the least threatening of all of them.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:
    @believer258 said:

@expensiveham said:

@darkstalker said:

It's not a sequel, they already revealed that, they just took characters from the last game and put them in here, which yes, is kind of weird.

This at least follows the timeline of Wolfenstein 2009 as evidenced by the existence of a character from that game in this one. That one was supposed to be a sequel to Return, which was supposed to be a sequel to 3-D. They all sort of play fast and loose with the term "sequel", as all of them have their own take on the series, but some events are pretty much certain - BJ and Deathshead have met before, Caroline was gravely injured at some point, Caroline and BJ met once, etc. It's not a far fetch to believe that Hitler is dead by this point.

I don't see how the phrase "Heil Hitler" means that Hitler's alive. Isn't it possible they're just immortalizing him in some fashion, or "Heil Hitler" is just an offhand phrase of patriotism? How does that specific line spoken by a random guard prove that Hitler's alive?

I know that I'm taking this whole thread a lot more seriously than I should, but this game has a really good story and I'd rather not see that tarnished because people wanted to shoot Hitler. Especially when, as I said before, Deathshead serves the villain role better than Hitler ever could - Hitler could only have ever been a sort of joke boss for people to poke fun at, he never would have fit in this game's narrative precisely because all the public would do is snicker at the idea of shooting mecha-Hitler.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of expected Hitler's Brain in a metroid-like situation.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: The heil Hitler thing could be either way, and the only argument I'd have against that would work for both ways, so it's not really a good one, but I would assume that on that board in the game, he'd probably be crossed out if he was dead, or not on it at all, and I'm not going to assume that the characters just didn't get to it yet... As for the timeline, only strands make it through, which are the characters, but the events in which happened, and the individual characters full stories from the past don't make it into this. The story to me has moments which can make you feel certain emotions, like anger, happiness, or what have you, so as a story for Wolfenstein goes, it's really good, but overall it isn't that special. I agree that we don't really need Hitler in the game; it doesn't really matter.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By colourful_hippie

@humanity said:

@colourful_hippie said:

Booo at lack of Hitler.

Lack of SLI support was the only egregious thing that stuck out at me when playing the game

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@humanity said:

@colourful_hippie said:

Booo at lack of Hitler.

Lack of SLI support was the only egregious thing that stuck out at me when playing the game

I outlined my anger in another thread but for myself and certain other people the game is basically unplayable - 5 FPS max no matter what you do no matter what your specs are. I had to download some fan made hack to fix it.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By crithon

you should read some Hellboy comics,

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.