Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 20, 2014

Outnumbered and outgunned by high-tech Nazi forces, B.J. Blazkowicz returns to fight for an underground resistance movement in an alternate-historical 1960 where the Nazis won World War II and achieved global dominance.

Reviews & Impressions Thread: Let Us Know here.

• 87 results
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#51  Edited By csl316

Sounds like it's exactly what I expected. A sort-of throwback FPS coupled with the strengths of a bunch of ex-Starbreeze guys.

Can't wait to get home and pop it in.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#52  Edited By extintor

@johncallahan said:

40 Gigs on my shitty internet, I'll gladly drop by with my impressions in.... 42 hours.

as someone pointed out on the PC thread for this game, there really HAS to be a pre-release download option for some of this stuff in the future as so many people do not have the kind of internet arrangement needed to pull that amount of data through the pipe in a reasonable time frame. I think Sony and Microsoft ought to take note also. It isn't just the PC that could benefit from pre-installs if we're going to have mega-patches on day one of multiple gigabytes. I bought Dead Rising recently and couldn't play it for the best part of a day and half during which 13 gigs of patch was downloaded and applied. Ridiculous.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@johncallahan said:

40 Gigs on my shitty internet, I'll gladly drop by with my impressions in.... 42 hours.

as someone pointed out on the PC thread for this game, there really HAS to be a pre-release download option for some of this stuff in the future as so many people do not have the kind of internet arrangement needed to pull that amount of data through the pipe in a reasonable time frame. I think Sony and Microsoft ought to take note also. It isn't just the PC that could benefit from pre-installs if we're going to have mega-patches on day one of multiple gigabytes. I bought Dead Rising recently and couldn't play it for the best part of a day and half during which 13 gigs of patch was downloaded and applied. Ridiculous.

While I agree, I'm just curious, do you guys not have access to a store that would sell the PC version in box form? I.. I think they still make those right? I'm not mocking, I honestly am not sure.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Daaaaaamn 40gb, that is one big ass download. How many guns can you carry in this? Please don't say 2.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#55  Edited By extintor

@humanity said:

@james_hayward said:

@johncallahan said:

While I agree, I'm just curious, do you guys not have access to a store that would sell the PC version in box form? I.. I think they still make those right? I'm not mocking, I honestly am not sure.

I might have read it somewhere else on the internet as I can't find the PC thread on Giant Bomb that I refer to above now... Anyway, what I read was that the overall install was ~50gigs, of which ~40 gigs is download.

On the Xbox One, I've read that there's supposed to be a day one patch of 7 gigs to download. I left my Xbox One installing the game when I left my house for work this morn so I don't know if the patch is actually as reported though.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#56  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Daaaaaamn 40gb, that is one big ass download. How many guns can you carry in this? Please don't say 2.

As far as I can tell, you can carry all of the guns. There's a big ol' radial wheel wheel for switching between them and a button to quickly switch between your two most recent weapons.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Watching the Quick Look now. I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised. When you hear they are making another Wolfenstein game, and then don't see anything else about until a month before it ships, that's usually a bad sign of a game they just crapped out randomly to make some money. That's what I was expecting from what little I've seen of it, but I'm really happy that's NOT what it is. Looks pretty good so far.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've played up to 1960, my first impressions:

- Game runs and looks pretty sweet on my modest rig.

- Inglourious Basterds: The Game is as good a description as you're gonna get.

- Game's pretty easy! I might start over on Über difficulty, but I doubt that'll live up to the name.

- AI really isn't that great. On top of that, most enemies can't hit the side of a barn.

- Best thing about the gameplay is the sandboxy design. You can tackle a section any way you please with all approaches pretty evenly valid and effective.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pinner458 said:

As far as I can tell, you can carry all of the guns. There's a big ol' radial wheel wheel for switching between them and a button to quickly switch between your two most recent weapons.

Awesome, thanks dude, watching the QL right now.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#60  Edited By Justin258

@james_hayward said:

@humanity said:

@james_hayward said:

@johncallahan said:

I might have read it somewhere else on the internet as I can't find the PC thread on Giant Bomb that I refer to above now... Anyway, what I read was that the overall install was ~50gigs, of which ~40 gigs is download.

On the Xbox One, I've read that there's supposed to be a day one patch of 7 gigs to download. I left my Xbox One installing the game when I left my house for work this morn so I don't know if the patch is actually as reported though.

It's this thread, forum search couldn't find anything Wolfenstein so I had to put it in general discussion.

@pinner458 said:

All of them! Which is one of the reasons I bought it, we need to just scrap this two weapon bullshit in every FPS that isn't a modern military shooter or Halo. Health only regenerates to the next fifth of a hundred, too, so health packs are a thing too!

I'm still waiting for this motherfucker to download. I'll have to stop it a few hours from now and start it back up when everyone goes to sleep. From what I've seen of it, it looks like it's exactly what I wanted.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#61  Edited By falserelic

Alright, I've had a chance to play the first chapter and it was fantastic. My first Impression is that its pretty damn fun.

What I'm digging so far...

The gunplay is pretty smooth and solid. The fact that you can hold all your weapons makes it even better, and I like that it doesn't let your health regenerate to a certain point. Where your force to look for health packs and armor to stay alive. There's some exploration in the game, you can find alternate paths, hidden items, and weapons attachments. The stealth system works pretty well and its enjoyable. You'll also unlock passive perks throughout the game aswell.

Overall I like that it's a good balanced between old-school and modern shooters. Unlike Duke Nukem Forever that tried, but failed horribly. This game so far has a good balance between both without being too much. The action is on point and the story is pretty interesting. That German Nazi Doctor is sadistic as fuck. Anyway I can't wait to play this game so more later on, with a smile.

naruto shippuden thumbs up gif

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to hear everyone likes it, but I just can't see myself paying $60 for a single player only FPS. Will wait on the price drop

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By kishinfoulux

Arthur Gies at Polygon really, really liked it.

12-15 hours long with at least two possible endings, and most surprising, it has a compelling story and interesting characters.

Okay, I'm actually excited about it now!

Polygon gives a high score and they matter suddenly. Everyone always gives them shit otherwise.

Anyways seems like something I would check out on a Steam sale, but even then I dunno. Wish it looked better. I always hold FPS to a high standard in the visuals department and this one seems to be lacking a bit.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Possibly the best game I've played so far this year! Action feels and sounds great (though some of the guns could sound a bit louder), game looks good and runs solid on PS4 and the story has been interesting to follow so far. Got no problems with serious segments myself, I just enjoy the athmosphere. That train scene was especially great and got some actual shudders out of me with that one particular...ahum, interaction between Engel and Bubi.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#65  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

This game is fan-fucking-tastic. I've played a few hours and have been loving every second of it. The gunplay feels great. I've gotten exactly what I wanted out of this game and more. Shooters need to be this fun more often.

Klager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Klager

This game is fan-fucking-tastic. I've played a few hours and have been loving every second of it. The gunplay feels great. I've gotten exactly what I wanted out of this game and more. Shooters need to be this fun more often.

Agreed. Loving it.

Was great to see "GET PSYCHED" flash on the screen for one third of a second before the first cutscene.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#67  Edited By jkz

Having a lot of fun with this so far. The gunplay feels great and I love the way enemies react to your shots. There's a real tactility to the movement and weapons and such that makes the Starbreeze lineage apparent. Also the character work has been pretty great to this point.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Really liking the action and the characters so far (im past the train) guns feel powerful, they nailed that.

My only gripes with it are technical (on the PC). The graphical settings are kind of bizarre, with weird technical stuff you can change but would have no idea about, yet basic functionality is all mushed together. I really dislike the constant film-grain effect in general in almost any game (any way to turn it off?). And as it seems to be based on the rage engine, just like Rage the game looks good overall but does not stand up to close scrutiny. For 40 gigs the textures are really muddy in places.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By falserelic

Second Impressions...

Whoa! this game is still aswome. The graphics by themselves could look better for a next-gen game, but I'm really digging that gritty Steam punk style. That Sy-Fy flavor is feeling so nice indeed, and you really get the feels that Nazi are 100% pure evil. Just demons that are incarnated into human flesh. As for the sound design it's pretty solid not great, but good. The weapons feels devastating and are satisfying to use, shooting up evil germans with dual automatic shotguns is the shit.

Btw...regarding that train scene I'm going to try not to spoil it much, but did anyone else find that hilarious? I knew B.J was probably was going to get some, but damn that was fast. It was just extraordinary that he went from almost getting murdered, to bustin all kinds of nuts inside the nurse. I can't help, but to give the man props for that one. That's a true badass soldier right there.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well I´ll be damned , never thought Wolfenstein would garner this much positive attention :D , too bad I cant afford it atm.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I too bought it. I'm loving how much barely it can be compared to CoD, and such. I'm playing it on I Am Death Incarnate, so I love how hard it can be just getting from room to room. The beginning set was so awesome looking. Just cool all around.

Avatar image for thecatswhiskers
    thecatswhiskers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hanskaosu said:

@thecatswhiskers said:

I've almost finished it and I've really enjoyed it, way more than I expected to and not just in the context of a typical FPS. It's made me want to play the 360 wolfenstein game, although I imagine that will be a terrible mistake.

Stay far away from the mess that was zombie wolfenstein lol.. this is a reboot for a reason ;3

There's kinda mixed info on whether or not this is a full reboot or if it does continue the plot of that 2009 game. I've played the first few chapters and haven't seen many connections to that game, but there are some reviews that lead me to believe there are quite a few plot ties.

Its my first Wolfenstein experience, but I thought Blazkowicz was a good character, and not really what I expected, so I think I'll play it more to see the difference between the games rather than in anticipation of a good game.

Mind you, I sort of said the same the about The New Order, and have been pleasantly surprised, so you never know.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played about 4 hours of it, and it is easily my favorite game of 2014 so far. The throwbacks to Wolfenstein 3D are awesome (picking up chicken dinners/dogfood for health, shields, secret doors). I also really like how they do the perk system.

Dual-wielding assault rifles is the best thing ever.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Corevi

I spent today playing Transistor while this game sloooooowly downloads, hope to try it out tomorrow (currently at 58%).

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love that there is a new major FPS title in 2014 with no mutiplayer mode.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu said:

There was also a new major FPS title in 2013 with no multiplayer.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu said:

That makes me happy. Hoping it's a trend that continues and doesn't die out.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am a bit disappointed to hear that it doesn't have multiplayer.

What I hope for, possibly as DLC(?) is a remake of Enemy Territory.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By falserelic
    @vuud said:

Personally, I'm glad that the game didn't include multiplayer. I don't think it would have really done anything to get people playing it for long. Besides, its good that they have a fun focus SP campaign. If they included multiplayer I think it would have effected the enjoyment of the single player, and it would have probably end up feeling tacked on.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is fun as shit.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vuud said:

Why? There are tons of multiplayer shooters to choose from. Titfanfall, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Team Fortress 2, ARMA, Counter Strike, etc. Machine Games wanted to contribute to the woefully barren landscape of good single player shooters with lengthy campaigns and replayability, and I'm so glad they did just that.

I know what Enemy Territory is and I know a lot of people liked it, but I don't think that remaking it would have done Wolfenstein The New Order any favors.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shooting is good, stealth is good, story is pretty okay, AI can be clumsy. I'm not usually a huge FPS player, but this has been pretty fun so far. I love the exploration opportunities and the fact that both the stealthy and aggressive play styles seem equally valid in most situations. Even the characters are pretty decent, including Blascowitz. My favorite so far is the old man who constantly yells at you to go shoot the nazis.

Good stuff.

RupertTheBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found a good tip while playing this game. If you kill a nazi and their still wearing a helmet, you can shoot the helmet off for some extra armor. Overall this is a fun ass game

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

My impressions are that I have sat looking at a download bar move very slowly because only 70% of the game seems to be on the discs I bought. The whole reason I bought discs is because my internet is too slow to download 50+ GB's It seems utterly bonkers that the whole game is not contained within the physical product.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game is just rad.

SneakyJB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really enjoying Wolfenstein: The New Order so far. It's not the most amazing gamer ever but is a good, solid FPS with an interesting story. It reminds me a bit of Singularity which was made by the developers of the last-gen Wolfenstein game. I'm probably about halfway through by now.

Some people seem to be upset by the lack of multiplayer but I think the game is fine without it.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#87  Edited By theacidskull

So I played it. It's probably one of the best games I've played this year. I expected the game to be fun gameplay wise and I have to say that it did not disappoint me at all. The Dual welding is awesome ( don't know why people dislike it) and the Weapons, while few, can be upgraded to feel diverse and fun. I love how you have specific levels of health, because it gives you a good chance to actually manage, control and plan out your actions. The enemies were an absolute blast as well because they differ from one another both power and weakness wise. My only gripe with the gameplay was the fact that the IA is a bit dumber than it has to be. Don't get me wrong, it's not horrible or anything but I guess it's just a bit weird that some of the Soldiers can't spot a dead body when it is in front of them. Other than that, the stealth is pretty great, and the game is constructed in a way that sometimes you'd prefer avoiding going in guns blazing. For example, you can take out the commanders before they signal the alarms, which can be pretty beneficial because some enemies aren't really easy to take on.

However, what I was surprised by was the actual story. I knew that the storyline would have been good(considering it doesn't have a multiplayer) but I didn't expect it to be so damn awesome. It was over the top, brutal, tragic and fun all at the same time. I honestly thought that B.J was going to be a two dimensional and a basic character, but as it turns out that the guy has more depth to him than one would expect. No matter what horrible shit he has seen in his life and despite the fact that his primary goal is to save everyone and settle down, he knows that his life is on the battlefield and he has to do all it takes to save everyone. Sure, you can call him a walking cliche on some level but that doesn't change the fact that the game does a wonderful job of showing HOW one sacrifice can make a huge difference. Also, what makes the game even cooler is that cast of characters it offers. They are so over the top and diverse that I was honestly reminded of Inglorious Basterds; plus their voice actors do a damn good job of bringing these characters to life.

My favorite moment was probably when Caroline and B.J exchanged details of their injuries. Fucking hilarious.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.